Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In response to Oldskool's JLC reply....

RWJ

I here ya but best guard in the draft does not mean he's a first round pick.

He is not in Mel Kipers top 25 Prospects.

He is not in Scout's Inc. top 32 Prospects.

He is mayocks top interior lineman but with no perspective relative to the first round or other talent at other positions.

Don't put TOO much stock in those types of lists....Not saying that the guys aren't intelligent, but it's a very difficult task to rank the quality of a OT prospect vs. a LB for example...

The reason I like the Alberts pick would be:

1) Getting the best prospect in the draft for a need position (OG primarily, but with the ability to play RT - who knows how Jansen is recovering and Fabini is not a quality starter)

2) If we don't start drafting starter quality linement THIS YEAR, we are going to end up having to replace the whole line over a 2 year period. If we start drafting quality starters over the next 3 years, we can make the transition smoothly without having to get "hole-fillers" like Fabini....

Don't put TOO much stock in those types of lists....Not saying that the guys aren't intelligent, but it's a very difficult task to rank the quality of a OT prospect vs. a LB for example...

The reason I like the Alberts pick would be:

1) Getting the best prospect in the draft for a need position (OG primarily, but with the ability to play RT - who knows how Jansen is recovering and Fabini is not a quality starter)

It's very arguable that it is not our TOP need. ie. DE, CB, Wr, DT. You want value with a 1st round pick. If the guy is not rated (consensus of people who do this for a living and are wrong alot) in the top 35 players in the draft we cannot pick him at 21. And you have an old but still servicable G in place who you gave a 4th round pick for. My point is I'm all for drafting a G but don't try and stuff it down my throat with a guy whose a reach with the 21st pick of the 1st round. If he was all world and a concensus (the only info we have to go on) Top 20 talent 1st round pick fine, but he's not.

It's very arguable that it is not our TOP need. ie. DE, CB, Wr, DT. You want value with a 1st round pick. If the guy is not rated (consensus of people who do this for a living and are wrong alot) in the top 35 players in the draft we cannot pick him at 21. And you have an old but still servicable G in place who you gave a 4th round pick for. My point is I'm all for drafting a G but don't try and stuff it down my throat with a guy whose a reach with the 21st pick of the 1st round. If he was all world and a concensus (the only info we have to go on) Top 20 talent 1st round pick fine, but he's not.

Open Wide - Dude's 6-7 & 310

Mike Mayock, in his analysis, seemed to suggest that Alberts was the second best offensive lineman in this class behind Jake Long.

Todd McShay pointed out that for the past few years, the trend is that a guard has gone in the first round (Grubbs last year, Davin Joseph in '06, and Logan Mankins in '05). Alberts' value is compounded by the fact that he is 6'7 and can play tackle too. I think he is getting drafted by somebody in the first round.

while everyone is bashing Hackett like they know anything, who is the best judge of whether DJ Hackett would be a good fit?

a) Jim Zorn

B) a load of blathering idiots on a web forum

so, basically I think if the team goes for DJH it's because Zorn is happy with him and sees him as a useful addition. That'll do for me, thanks

This rant is a bit premature, at least wait until the teams shows a tiny bit of interest in Hackett before calling everyone that don't think that he's the right fit, "blathering idiots".

When I started this post I was basing everything on us getting a CB and WR in FA. Also, VC saying in his interview that OG, DT and FB would be positions we needed to address. Albert, I'm thinking would be the best available player at 21 in the 1st so we'd be stupid not to draft him.

The best available player at 21 is more likely to be a WR or CB that we don't really need after picking both up in FA. But, even if you want to fill OG I'm not sure you need to invest a first round pick in Albert (6'7'' and 315lbs). Albert could fit the bill for a Guard that can also fill in as Tackle. But, Skins appear to be interested in re-signing Fabini (a career tackle that filled in at Guard) and they still have Jansen, Heyer and Wade on the roster. What the Skins don't have is a true Guard OR a player than can backup Rabach. I think a C/G prospect is much more important than a T/G.

I like Kory Lichtensteiger from Bowling Green (6'3 and 310). He's supposed to be good at trap blocking and athletic enough to get to the second level. Plus, he won't cost a first round pick.

There are no #1 #2 or #3 WR's in the WCO. He basically fits the role of a big, clutch receiver that knows Zorn's system.

Some might argue, that with a healthy Moss and Randel El, that's all this team needs is a big possession type wide out to compliment them.

IMO, we need consistent play from the QB and protection from the line more than we need a WR.

Well i disagree with the OP post. I think each of those picks would not work in Washington

A fullback can easily be found in the 5-7th rounds and maybe even as a undrafted rookie FA.

OL can be found anywhere in the draft and alot of them are found in rounds 3-5.

DT. We target Tommy Kelly or Corey Williams i believe for that. We desperately need a full time DL but dont expect too much production from that production

couldn't agree more. OL is adequate for this year at least. DT would greatly improve our play on that side of the ball immediately, then wait a year and improve the OL in the draft next year

Archived