Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In response to Oldskool's JLC reply....

RWJ

If we sign Florence and Hackett, we have addressed the CB and WR positions. Now, according to what VC's has said in his interview with Redskins.com, it coincides that we do get a WR and CB during FA and Vinny stated in the interview that we were specifically looking for a OG, 3-Tech DT and a FB. Here's how I think it pans out with the best of those positions being available during the draft.

1st round pick: Branden Albert, OG, Virginia

2nd round pick: Pat Sims, DT, Auburn

3rd round pick: Owen Schmitt, FB, West Virginia

Now, I know alot of you will consider Owen Schmitt a reach in the 3rd round, but we haven't a pick in the 4th. He is a throwback FB from the old regime. He would be a perfect fit for our OF and not only can he open holes for the running game, but he can also punch the ball in from inside the 5 yr. line.

Let me ask you one question before i go on with further analysis? Is Albert being given a chance to start next year?

Any first round pick would be expected to start.

Looking at G's and T's taken as high picks, most are slated as starters the day they are drafted.

I can't imagine Buges would expect a latency period, if he were given the chance to take someone in the first round..:2cents:

Any first round pick would be expected to start.

Looking at G's and T's taken as high picks, most are slated as starters the day they are drafted.

I can't imagine Buges would expect a latency period, if he were given the chance to take someone in the first round..:2cents:

So whose not starting on the lineup next year because Jansen already restructured. Is Kendall headed to the bench and being the backup to rabach and the Guards

If we sign Florence and Hackett, we have addressed the CB and WR positions. Now, according to what VC's has said in his interview with Redskins.com, it coincides that we do get a WR and CB during FA and Vinny stated in the interview that we were specifically looking for a OG, 3-Tech DT and a FB. Here's how I think it pans out with the best of those positions being available during the draft.

Now, I know alot of you will consider Owen Schmitt a reach in the 3rd round, but we haven't a pick in the 4th. He is a throwback FB from the old regime. He would be a perfect fit for our OF and not only can he open holes for the running game, but he can also punch the ball in from inside the 5 yr. line.

Mike Sellers much?

Well i disagree with the OP post. I think each of those picks would not work in Washington

A fullback can easily be found in the 5-7th rounds and maybe even as a undrafted rookie FA.

OL can be found anywhere in the draft and alot of them are found in rounds 3-5.

DT. We target Tommy Kelly or Corey Williams i believe for that. We desperately need a full time DL but dont expect too much production from that production

Mike Sellers much?

Mike Sellers can't really catch or run the ball effectively. He drops a lot of passes.

He's a total mack truck, but a fullback like Owen Schmitt doesn't come along too often.

I think though we might go after the fullback from Arkansas or Alabama (I forget)

Didn't Schmitt idolize riggins though?

Well i disagree with the OP post. I think each of those picks would not work in Washington

A fullback can easily be found in the 5-7th rounds and maybe even as a undrafted rookie FA.

DT. We target Tommy Kelly or Corey Williams i believe for that. We desperately need a full time DL but dont expect too much production from that production

Why wouldn't Brandon Albert work in DC?

We desperately need an athletic guard and Brandon Albert is just that.

Great post. And I think Schmitt's right on for a 3rd rounder. As a Hokie fan, its hard to give props to mountaineers, but that guy's the complete package for sure.

Well Vinny stated we need a swing lineman which means a player who would fill in when injuries occur so i would see the Redskins going after a guy like Mike Mcglyn from Pitt who some evaluators stated could play Right tackle/guard/center and deep snapper. A very smart individual.

I'm just curious as to how all of the insiders think. Looks like a split decision, which I can understand. Remember, I am basing this off of what VC said in the interview. Things can and probably will change, but until they do, this is just how I see it.

Former poster was seemed to be stunned at why I stated Owen "The Bull" when we have our own bull in Sellers, but I will say that MS is not young in the tooth any longer and I think VC thinks that we need someone to replace him and I think Owen is the one, he will be it.

So whose not starting on the lineup next year because Jansen already restructured. Is Kendall headed to the bench and being the backup to rabach and the Guards

The later the round a player is drafted, the later their projected start. So a first rounder would be expected to pay dividends immediately, while a second or third rounder might require more "seasoning".

Even as much as I feel that the OL should be 3 of our first 4 picks, I would prefer to lessen the quality slightly and trade our #21 for one of the 4-11 or 5-12 team's 2nd and 3rd round picks. That would still give us a pick around #37 to #40 to go along with our #53 and a #68 to go along wth our #85 pick.

We need a fresh set of legs at guard more than OT, C or almost any other position. Various sites have these 3 listed in different orders and if (assuming we traded down as I suggest) if two were left when our first pick around #37 came about I'd gamble with someone else, such as the tall WR or pass-rushing DE everyone covets. But if only one of these guys were left, I'd grab him.

Offensive Guards

1. Chilo Rachal, USC

2. Branden Albert, Virginia

3. Roy Schuening, Oregon State

Any of these would be an upgrade over Fabini or Kendall and provides insurance in case Thomas gets hurt again. Even though these would be second round in my scenario, I would plan on them starting within the first few games.

The later the round a player is drafted, the later their projected start. So a first rounder would be expected to pay dividends immediately, while a second or third rounder might require more "seasoning".

Even as much as I feel that the OL should be 3 of our first 4 picks, I would prefer to lessen the quality slightly and trade our #21 for one of the 4-11 or 5-12 team's 2nd and 3rd round picks. That would still give us a pick around #37 to #40 to go along with our #53 and a #68 to go along wth our #85 pick.

We need a fresh set of legs at guard more than OT, C or almost any other position. Various sites have these 3 listed in different orders and if (assuming we traded down as I suggest) if two were left when our first pick around #37 came about I'd gamble with someone else, such as the tall WR or pass-rushing DE everyone covets. But if only one of these guys were left, I'd grab him.

Offensive Guards

1. Chilo Rachal, USC

2. Branden Albert, Virginia

3. Roy Schuening, Oregon State

Any of these would be an upgrade over Fabini or Kendall and provides insurance in case Thomas gets hurt again. Even though these would be second round in my scenario, I would plan on them starting within the first few games.

You are certainly right. If we do draft a offensive lineman, i want him to start right away. No waiting. Optimal situation is that we can sure up WR needs with Hackett and get contributions from Mix and Espy? DL is a 2nd priority. We may need to draft multiple guys to fill out those needs. We also need younger LBs

Albert is probably the best offensive lineman in the draft. With his flexibility he could play guard, center and tackle. I would love to take him in the first rouind if we don't draft a d lineman.

Albert is probably the best offensive lineman in the draft. With his flexibility he could play guard, center and tackle. I would love to take him in the first rouind if we don't draft a d lineman.

Ya after i saw a couple of highlights I changed my stance but we grab him, he starts right away.

At #21 the top flight O-lineman will be gone. Alberts can probably be had in the second round. This is above and beyond starting calibre guards such as Chilo Rachal, G, USC, Roy Schuening, G, Oregon State, Drew Radovich, G, USC, and Eric Young, G, Tennessee that are all there between rounds 2-4. So there is no need to go guard early.

Pat Simms is a good 2nd round pick, but so are guys like Dre Moore, DT, Maryland, Red Bryant, NT, Texas A&M, Ahtyba Rubin, NT, Iowa State, and DeMario Pressley, DT, N.C. State in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

And I know most of you are east coasters and all, but Owen Schmitt in the 3rd? Please. Even if a FB sh*t gold and shot lasers from his eyes, he wouldn't be worth a 3rd. FB's are late 2nd day picks or even UDFA's. Seattle's FB is a UDFA for example.

Mike Sellers can't really catch or run the ball effectively. He drops a lot of passes.

He's a total mack truck, but a fullback like Owen Schmitt doesn't come along too often.

I think though we might go after the fullback from Arkansas or Alabama (I forget)

Didn't Schmitt idolize riggins though?

It is Arkansas' Peyton Hillis but I don't think that we need to waste a pick that early on a FB. If anything, we should convert Eric Shelton into a FB and use the 3rd on a much more needed position.

Archived