Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Sportsline: Zorn gets job while another Jim gets jobbed

DixieFlatline

Did a search and pretty sure this hasn't been posted.

I didn't like the way the hiring process was protracted and seemed to be going in a multitude of directions, but this article just kills me. From this, the writer, Judge, and Fassel almost act like Fassel was owed the job. I'd get it if they complained on how they kept Fassel hanging, but they really didn't get into that. Instead its all about how Snyder doesn't know what he's doing and it should have been Fassel.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10631641

Jim Fassel deserved better than what he got from the Washington Redskins. And what he got was the shaft.

"This is a shock to me," he said after the team hired Jim Zorn as head coach.

You're not alone, Jim. It's a shock to everybody.

Fassel was supposed to be a slam dunk for the job once Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo returned to New York last week. After all, he helped put together the team's staff -- including the choice of Zorn as offensive coordinator -- and, according to Fassel, he had started to talk about a contract.

"I wasn't looking for just anything," Fassel, head coach of the Giants from 1997-2003, said Saturday night. "I was looking for the right fit, and I thought this was the right fit because I knew Dan (owner Dan Snyder). It's a long, twisted story."

That is an understatement.

Instead of choosing someone with a track record, the Redskins waited one month to choose someone who not only hadn't been a head coach but who never served as a coordinator. You can look it up: Zorn spent the last seven seasons as Seattle's quarterbacks coach.

It is unclear what happened, though Fassel thinks he has an idea. He believes there were "forces" working behind the scenes -- with Fassel singling out Redskins vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato -- that began to promote Zorn at his expense.

The motivation is unclear, though Fassel said he believes his firing by Baltimore ultimately convinced Snyder not to hire him. Fassel -- who met three times with Snyder -- was the Ravens' offensive coordinator in 2006 but was jettisoned after six games when he and coach Brian Billick disagreed on how to fix what was then the league's 28th-ranked offense.

The Ravens went on to finish a franchise-best 13-3, with Billick applauded for taking over the play-calling from Fassel. But Billick would struggle a year later and get fired -- largely because of the team's offensive shortcomings.

That explains what happened in Baltimore. It doesn't explain what just happened to Jim Fassel.

"At the end of the day," said Fassel, "Dan wanted to make a big splash, and I think he was worried about the Baltimore thing. He worried about the public relations (fallout), and he didn't know which way to go.

"I heard someone say there are no more George Youngs or Jim Finks in this league, people who really know the game. And I think that happened here. I don't think Dan surrounded himself with enough football people."

Maybe. But Jim Zorn?

A month ago you could've produced 25 names Snyder might've considered for the opening created by Joe Gibbs' resignation, and I guarantee that Zorn's would not have been among them. It wasn't that he was buried down on the list of candidates; it's that he wasn't on anyone's radar, period.

And he still wasn't after the Redskins hired him as their offensive coordinator, a move seen as a precursor to Fassel's hiring. Fassel interpreted it that way, too, and was not fazed when the club told him to wait until it met with Spagnuolo about the opening. After all, he said, he was asked whom he wanted hired and fired for his staff, so he didn't have to connect the dots.

"If the Giants had lost to Dallas (in the playoffs)," he said, "I think this would've been over a week ago, and I would've been the head coach."

But while the Redskins waited on Spagnuolo, Fassel believes, they convinced themselves to go in another direction. And the more they talked to Zorn, he thinks, the more they started to believe he was the better choice.

Only Snyder and Cerrato know for sure, and I didn't speak to either Saturday night. But there is something wrong about keeping someone on the hook for three weeks, which Fassel was, then tossing him aside for a coach he helped hire with the understanding he would run his offense.

In fact, Fassel said when Zorn's name first came up he spent an hour-and-a-half on the telephone with him before notifying the Redskins that Zorn would be perfect for the job -- and, no, he wasn't talking about the head-coaching vacancy.

"Someone said to me that Jim Zorn has three jobs he hasn't done now," Fassel said. "He's a head coach, and he's never done it. He's an offensive coordinator, and he's never done it. And he's calling the plays, and he's never done it."

Experience counts for plenty in this league, and look no farther than Super Bowl XLII. Both head coaches were on their second tours, with Bill Belichick getting a chance with New England after failing his audition in Cleveland, and the Giants' Tom Coughlin fired by Jacksonville.

In fact, three of the four head coaches in this season's conference championship games had previous head-coaching experiences with other NFL clubs, with the Chargers' Norv Turner working on his third tour of duty.

"If you want to play the percentages you play with guys you know you can count on," Fassel said.

Jim Fassel should have been one of those guys, but maybe his son Mike was right when he told him he didn't have a good feeling about the Washington situation and that this "was not a good deal."

It wasn't for one guy, I know that.

"There was something going on behind the scenes, there's no question about it," Fassel said. "I thought things were falling my way, then, suddenly, this happens. It's strange."

It's a lot more than that.

Why is Snyder a fool? Maybe he really believed in Zorn and Zorn convinced them he WAS the best fit. You know we took a chance on a man named Joe Gibbs once. A lot of people questioned that move.

I don't give a damn if potential interviewees - including Fassel - have problems with this move. This time Snyder did NOT rush into anything. He considered all options and believed, in the end, that Zorn was the right fit.

I'm curious to find out how this unfolds. I really hope we kick ass next year and hear everyone praising the move. We deserve it!

****ing media wouldn't be bashing Jerrah if he did this. Nope, they'd say that he took his time and picked the right person. They'd already have the Cowgirls going to the SB again. Give me a break. Snyder...a fool? How about we give Snyder and Zorn a chance first.

A couple of thoughts come to mind with this article.

Hiring Fassel would have been a temporary solution and Snyder made a smart decision not to do it.

I don't doubt that he was left believing he had a shot but imagine all the remaining candidates thought the same. That's the business of interviewing.

The media will be looking for all the negatives in the Zorn hire because they have been left in the dark as well.

I think this excerpt form a NY post sums up Fassel:

His only problem was that he thought too highly of his own coaching abilities, which were average at best. When the Giants fired him after 2003, he truly figured he’d just wander into some other team’s offices and say, “Here I am!” and they’d snap him up. He did that with his interview in Arizona. At Buffalo, it was said then-GM Tom Donahoe was so angered by Fassel’s “Take me or leave me” attitude that he warned other teams off Fassel.

Business is business Fossil...it isn't always fair.

BUT a lot of what he says about the lack of football people making decisions, the fact that Zorn hasn't been a offensive coordinator...let alone....a head coach just further validates my feelings about this being a completely ****ed up process.

I feel a bit for Fassel, but clearly it was his credentials that undid him and he as much as admitted it. He said it was Baltimore that undid him. He wasn't able to sell himself to the degree that Snyder said, I don't care what anyone says... you're my guy.

And if Fassel couldn't get Dan on board could Dan beleive that he could get 53 other skeptical millionaires aboard?

Very interesting read.. It tells alot about the Cerrato dynamic at Redskins Park.. I really beleive that until he is gone and gone for good, the franchise will always be broken.

Gibbs took us to three playoff appearances in four years. Was that broken? I believe that if Gibbs wouldn't have left, we might have had a chance at the SB. There is nothing broken right now. We just have to find the right fit. Maybe we found a diamond in the rough!

And this was the Prick that Dan was considering. He badmouths the organization after he dosent get the gig. This dude has no class. you dont see class guys like Meeks, Mooch and GW say anything after they were overlooked and this guy feels cheated. Who cares go back to announcing games. I love the irony in this. he recommeneds Zorn to get the OC position and he gets the HC position. Fossil must be kicking himself. I love it!!!

And this was the Prick that Dan was considering. He badmouths the organization after he dosent get the gig. This dude has no class. you dont see class guys like Meeks, Mooch and GW say anything after they were overlooked and this guy feels cheated. Who cares go back to announcing games. I love the irony in this. he recommeneds Zorn to get the OC position and he gets the HC position. Fossil must be kicking himself. I love it!!!

:applause: Thank you Fossil for the recommedation of Zorn.

A couple of thoughts come to mind with this article.

Hiring Fassel would have been a temporary solution and Snyder made a smart decision not to do it.

I don't doubt that he was left believing he had a shot but imagine all the remaining candidates thought the same. That's the business of interviewing.

The media will be looking for all the negatives in the Zorn hire because they have been left in the dark as well.

I think this excerpt form a NY post sums up Fassel:

His only problem was that he thought too highly of his own coaching abilities, which were average at best. When the Giants fired him after 2003, he truly figured he’d just wander into some other team’s offices and say, “Here I am!” and they’d snap him up. He did that with his interview in Arizona. At Buffalo, it was said then-GM Tom Donahoe was so angered by Fassel’s “Take me or leave me” attitude that he warned other teams off Fassel.

He always had a ****sure attitude about himself. Anyone remember the "This team is going to the playoffs!" statement?

Maybe this was Snyder's way of giving him the shaft in the name of all NFL owners. What is sad is that writer pretty much crying about Fassel. I read that article and it sounded like it was written by Fassel's agent.

Another, much less complimentary take on Jim Fassel, from Eric Palladino, veteran NYG beat writer:

<http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/09/fassel-passed-over-again/>

Relevant portion:

"His only problem was that he thought too highly of his own coaching abilities, which were average at best. When the Giants fired him after 2003, he truly figured he’d just wander into some other team’s offices and say, “Here I am!” and they’d snap him up. He did that with his interview in Arizona. At Buffalo, it was said then-GM Tom Donahoe was so angered by Fassel’s “Take me or leave me” attitude that he warned other teams off Fassel."

So, of course Fassel is going to feel completely screwed as this was "his" job to lose, right? Narcissist.

Gibbs took us to three playoff appearances in four years. Was that broken? I believe that if Gibbs wouldn't have left, we might have had a chance at the SB. There is nothing broken right now. We just have to find the right fit. Maybe we found a diamond in the rough!

ummm no, he took us to 2 playoff apperances, one year we one 1 game.

04 - 6-10

05 - 10-6

06 - 5-11

07 - 9-7

You know, I was thinking the same thing? Fassel isn't that bright. He might ruin his chances with other NFL teams with that big mouth of his. This cements the reason I didn't want this tool as HC. Thank you for hiring Zorn Snyder! :applause:

ummm no, he took us to 2 playoff apperances, one year we one 1 game.

04 - 6-10

05 - 10-6

06 - 5-11

07 - 9-7

We "appeared" in two playoff games that we did not win. We won one, but we also "appeared" in that one.

"ap·pear·ance /əˈpɪərəns/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-peer-uhns] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. the act or fact of appearing, as to the eye or mind or before the public: the unannounced appearance of dinner guests; the last appearance of Caruso in Aïda; her first appearance at a stockholders' meeting."

So DS is criticized for not hiring a retread who was just looking for one last payday before retirement;

The process was a mess, however, in the end, DS hired the right guy; I liked Zorn from the moment he was hired; he has a good football mind, has good character and he is NOT just looking for a payday; he will be a hard worker and hungry.

I'm not Snyder's biggest supporter, that's for sure, but this article is a perfect example of how Snyder simply can't win with the press, no matter what he does. If he had hired Fassel, he would have been clubbed mercilessly (deservedly so, in my opinion).

Yet he decides not to hire some mediocre, retread coach (Fassel)--who no other team wanted to hire either--and goes with a smart, bold, forward-thinking move. And he gets clubbed anyway.

Archived