Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Sportsline: Zorn gets job while another Jim gets jobbed

DixieFlatline

I totally forgot about Reid. I am just so disgusted with this hire that I can't believe it!

Sparano in Miami is another position coach (O-line) who Parcells just hired.

Marinelli in Det I think was a D-line coach for Tampa before his HC gig (if memory serves).

It has been done before.

It's a bold move, we'll see if it works out...

Fassel, like Williams deserved better communication from the Redskins during the process, especially once he was asked for OC and DC candidates and the Skins went ahead and hired Zorn and promoted Blache. So, in essence they did use his intelligence to put together a staff but then didn't hire him from the job.

But in the end the problem I have with the media is that the OUTCOME of the process, hiring a head coach WOULD have been criticized REGARDLESS of the hire :)

Zorn is criticized because he has 'no' experience.

But I guarantee you if Fassel had been hired, the criticism would have been that Snyder had no creativity and just went for the re-tread, well-known hire instead of finding the next Joe Gibbs....................

Sound about right? :D

Yeah, I just read that article and figured it would be posted here. I can understand Fassel feeling tossed aside and to a certain extent, I feel bad for the guy. But hey, he's a big boy. If he can't handle it, then he shouldn't be a head coach.

I guess this experience should teach people not to give up who they want to join the coaching staff. Next time someone asks a potential HC candidate who they want to hire, he should say "hire me first, then I'll tell you."

The media would have blasted Snyder had he chosen Fassel, in fact short of hiring Cowher, I don't think anyone Snyder could have hired would have appeased the mediots.

I wonder if they will acknowledge that it was a good hire if we succeed in the next few years.

Personally, the more I read, the better I like the hire. I just hope Zorn's success is not tied to JC. Zorn shouldn't be here to make JC an NFL QB, but rather to win games with whoever he feels is the best QB.

Hail,

H

You know I really don't like Snyder and all his grandstanding and all that he does, but I do admit, he did listen to the fans on this one. People didn't want Fassel and they didn't get him. I thought he was going to be hired and to hell with what other people thought. I don't know if Zorn will be the right fit or not, but I will say that he did listen to the fans by not hiring Fassel. I certainly did not want him to be our coach, but I don't know how I feel about a guy who was only a quarterbacks coach. I am certainly willing to give the guy two years and see how he does. Somehow, I don't think that he is going to last that long.

It was 2 playoffs appearances not 3. This organization is totally broken. How do you hire a guy who has NEVER even been a coordinator to head coach? Has this ever happened before? All Snyder got was a guy he and the front office could control. This team is a joke. Sndyder is a joke, Cerrato is pitiful!!

Andy Reid has done okay hasn't he. Guess what, he had less experience than Zorn.

Wow, when do you hear a story like this?

Fassel is essentially calling out Snyder and Zorn. This after he "signed off" on Zorn. He didn't get the gig, use some class and deal with it.

This article might pull some public opinion Fassel's way (somehow, I don't think it was effective at all) but how can another team look at this article and say they want THAT guy.

We avoided a massive mistake. I'm sure Snyder will read this and he'll know that the fans, while we're a bit touchy, were right on this one.

Interesting article and Fassel might be right, but this is hardly new stuff. All hires are political in some way, including Fassel's in Baltimore (and his firing). He may be right that had the Giants lost to Dallas he'd be HC now, but he's just guessing. And the "big splash" theory proves that Fassel was not the guy for the job. Whatever else you want to say, Zorn is not a Snyderesque "big splash" hire (unless you opine that in not hiring a bag name, Synder made a big splash, but that seems pretty strained to me).

I didn't want Fassel to be HC, but it was lame of Snyder to pick his brain then toss him out.

Interviewing for a coaching position is a great time for a team to do this sort of research. I don't think Synder did anything atypical in this respect. Sure, one side of the equation is that a coach may have his brain picked and not be hired.

On the other hand, a team may get its heart set on a coach only to end up as leverage for the coach to stay with his original team and negotiate a raise. And this comment isn't directed at any particular coach.

It's a cliche, but true nevertheless - it's business.

Fossil showed why he wasn't the guy. You can tell that this guy is a phony. A self-promoter and he'd be creating a team of cliques. Just seems to be more of a maniuplator than a leader. And I'm so glad that Snyder passed on this loser.

People here are upset that Zorn wasn't a Coordinator much less a Head Coach before. And yet they want a guy who couldn't even land a job as a Position coach!!!!

As a coach myself, I know that experience matters. And Zorn has that. Maybe he hasn't made the calls. But trust me, all his time as a player and a coach he has role-played all the myriad of situations in his mind. He has already sorted thru what he believes will work and what will fail.

I work with the Army and we send troops over seas all the time who have never fired a weapon in battle. Yet they get there and out perform seasoned vets like the Iraqi Republican Guard. Why? Because of education and training.

Zorn has both. And just like our military leaders and Soldiers are taught to adapt quickly it appears that Zorn possesses the type of innovative thinking that could very well turn this league upside down. Sure, he could be a huge flop.

But Zorn could also be one of the best coaches in the NFL. He understands the importance of building a relationship with his people. But more than that, he seems very willing to take chances. The NFL is a copycat league. There aren't a great deal of new, fresh ideas. There are a lot of variations and tweaks. But not many people can innovate as Gibbs did with the 1 back Offense and then the Posse. Zorn seems to possess that 'out of the box' thinking that could very well cause a lot of DC's some real nightmares.

Then again, he could fail miserably. We dont' know and that's the appeal to me. We know what we'd get with Fossil. And I think it would have been bland and uninspiring. With Zorn we could very well be a special team that sets the league on fire.

HTTR and let's fast foward to Sept!

god answer my prayers...and saved fassel for another team thats beating down his door..really all this talk about our skins going to hell because we dont have a super coach to lead the way..people your disrespecting our players, they above all are who make it happen, sure zorn will bring in a new way of attacking a defense and some enthusiam, but its the players , not the Xs and Os, who knows maybe zorn has some new ideas , like gibbs had with the singleback formation in the 80s.

lets play ball!!!!

nobody really cares how fassel feels, but this does speak volumes about the organization and will scare away good people, players and management...which in the long run means more years of struggle.

Exactly. Whether you hire Fassel or not is irrelevant. But dithering, and then leaving him at the altar again in favor of Zorn does not show the organization in a good light around the league. The seat-of-the-pants, reactive management style pre-Gibbs is back.

Jobs normally aren't only about how well you interview and can schmooze the owner. They're also about what you've accomplished.

Fassel's been an NFL coach in one of the top-3 markets in the league for 7 years (in the NFC East, no less) and been to the Super Bowl. The other candidates were equally strong. I won't go through their resumes - everyone knows what they are.

But the guy they settled on, Jim Zorn now has three jobs he hasn't done - head coach, offensive coordinator and calling the plays. He'll hire someone like Sherman Smith or Pat Shurmur to be his OC, fine. But neither guy has done that job either.

Given the alternatives, this is a recipe for disaster, no matter how this is spun by both the team and by the zealots on this board.

Another relevant quote from the CBS article:

"I heard someone say there are no more George Youngs or Jim Finks in this league, people who really know the game. And I think that happened here. I don't think Dan surrounded himself with enough football people."

Fassell would know, having come from a front office that had George Young, Ernie Accorsi and Jerry Reese in it at the same time for 4 years.

Snyder's ego would never allow for the Redskins' front office to accumulate that kind of management talent as long as he's the owner.

Sad and discouraging. 6 weeks ago, I had so much hope for my team of 25 years. Gone.

Personally I think that Zorn's gonna make some believers next year. Never liked the idea of Fassel anyway. Was hoping for Russ but since it didn't happen, go Coach Z.

Sidebar: Don't know the guy personally nor have I sat in on any meetings, but I've read too many reports on how cancerous Vinnie is to the organization.

ummm no, he took us to 2 playoff apperances, one year we one 1 game.

04 - 6-10

05 - 10-6

06 - 5-11

07 - 9-7

Well, the 6-10 year was what JG had inherited. Next he ggoes 10-6. Then, the 5-11 debacle of al Saunders learning curve. This year, 9-7 without an offensive line. Lets jst see where the Giants or Patriots are if they play with a tackle at left guard, a second string right guard, and a third string undrafted right tackle with a bum knee!! Cmon man!!

I throw a fake kneeldown fade for a touchdown to Plaxico with 1 second remaining if I am Coughlin to give Bellicheat some of his own medicine:D !!

I didn't want Fassel and I'm glad that he wasn't hired. His statements to the press showed a lack of class and confirmed the doubts that many had about him. I'm not saying that Snyder has shown the kind of class that I would prefer, but so much of the interview process is out of our sight we can't assume that we know what was said, promised etc. That includes the Williams interviews and everyone else. What we can see is the candidate's responses: Williams was all class. Fassel: NOT. I can't help but hope that Snyder detected the difference between Zorn and Fassel in the interviews and made his decision.

Sounds like it could have been written by some of the so-called fans here...........

Could be... but its better than being another sheep in Snyders flock, who eat whatever he hands out...

Zorn? Thats a complete joke! I will laugh about it until we are 5-11 nex season.

you know in all the job interviews i have been a part of, and/or witnessed...I dont ever remember the boss giving a candidate the job because the candidate felt used. They gave it to the person best deserving of it, and one that will be good for the organization. Not because someone FEELS shafted. Call the WAAAAmbulance is what i have to say.

Archived