Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Sportsline: Zorn gets job while another Jim gets jobbed

DixieFlatline

Considering no one else will touch him, I would be upset if I were Fassel too. We don't owe him anything. He was a candidate and was told he was leading, which he was. We found a better candidate while we continued our search, so we chose him. Sorry Fassel, your coaching days are over.

Thank You for Zorn? Thank you for Snyder? If it is true that Fassel helped put this staff together, then he has EVERY right to bash this pitiful organization. ANd I for one am right there with him !!

the staff was already together.........the staff is Joe's staff, not Fassel's. The only person new is Zorn, and Fassel was not the only person who recommended him. You must be Fassel's agent........ :laugh:

Well, the one thing about this article that is of value is that it does sort of backup Snyder's claim that Zorn impressed him so much in the interview that he decided to offer him the job.

My first impression was that everyone else turned Danny down and he had to settle for Zorn, but this article clearly indicates that Fassel was very much interested in the job and Danny just chose to go with Zorn over him.

Well, good for Danny then. Zorn may or may not be a good head coach, but I feel a hell of alot better that at least we hired him because he impressed with his interview and his ideas for the future and not because we had nobody else to turn to.

Gibbs took us to three playoff appearances in four years. Was that broken? I believe that if Gibbs wouldn't have left, we might have had a chance at the SB. There is nothing broken right now. We just have to find the right fit. Maybe we found a diamond in the rough!

You mean 2 appearances totalling 3 games.

It was 2 playoffs appearances not 3. This organization is totally broken. How do you hire a guy who has NEVER even been a coordinator to head coach? Has this ever happened before? All Snyder got was a guy he and the front office could control. This team is a joke. Sndyder is a joke, Cerrato is pitiful!!

Andy Reid was a QB coach then Head Coach without the coordinator position.

Your observation is noted. Nice intelligent reply. Now go take a nap and calm down. ;)

Edit: You understand that you have to win a game to appear in the next round, right? Regardless of a win in that next playoff "appearance". You also have to win enough games in the regular season to appear in a playoff game, regardless of a win or loss in that playoff "appearance". I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Due to confusiuon, how about they made the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 seasons and won 3 playoff games?

Your observation is noted. Nice intelligent reply. Now go take a nap and calm down. ;)

Edit: You understand that you have to win a game to appear in the next round, right? Regardless of a win in that next playoff "appearance". You also have to win enough games in the regular season to appear in a playoff game, regardless of a win or loss in that playoff "appearance". I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.

One more time for the Short Yellow Bus crowd: Two Playoff games in the same season equals One Playoff Appearance.

We have appeared in two playoffs.

It is unclear what happened, though Fassel thinks he has an idea. He believes there were "forces" working behind the scenes -- with Fassel singling out Redskins vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato -- that began to promote Zorn at his expense.

And Cerrato becomes a hero.

nobody really cares how fassel feels, but this does speak volumes about the organization and will scare away good people, players and management...which in the long run means more years of struggle.

Unless JZ Kix Ass and Has a Successful 15 year run.

I thought the article was a little insightful of the process that went on behind closed doors. I didn't want Fassel to be HC, but it was lame of Snyder to pick his brain then toss him out. I think every Skins' fans should be concerned with Zorn's lack of OC or HC experience in the NFL. I'll bet if Zorn fails and they have to go look for a new HC, they are going to have a hard time finding people to interview for the job.

I can't believe Fassel was even a candidate. In the history of the league has a fired offensive coordinator who didn't coach for an entire year then get a HC job? Where I don't agree with Dan Snyder's approach on many things I am more than willing to give Zorn a chance. His lack of experience is questionable however his coaching/people skills might make him a perfect candidate (obviously Snyder and Cerrato think so)

Go Skins!!!

And Cerrato becomes a hero.

I'm not sure that Fassel has any clue what he's talking about here. Other reports have suggested that Snyder said hiring Fassel "didn't feel right." Who knows what went on behind the scenes, but I get the feeling both Snyder and Vinny fell in love with Zorn, with good reason. He's an impressive guy.

Bottom line is, we hired the right guy. Fassel can speculate all he wants, but I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about.

However it went down, props to Vinny and Dan for making a great hire.

I like how Fassel said he doesn't want to take just any job. Yeah, but you'll take a job where 80-90% of the fanbase completely freaked out at the sound of your name. I'm so glad Dan didn't hire him, he sounds like he's an arrogant a**hole. So what if Zorn hasn't been an OC or HC, either had Andy Reid when he was hired by the Eagles from Mike Holmgren's staff and that has worked out pretty well for the Eagles. I rather have someone that has never been a HC that actually might have some fire in him, than a retread that would take a job anywhere at this point. If this guy wasn't a heck of a coach Mike Holmgren wouldn't have kept him around as long as he has. Plus Holmgren calls his on plays, so there isn't much room to move up on his staff. I don't see people bashing the Ravens for hiring John Harbaugh. Zorn played in the NFL, he played the toughest position on the field at a very high level. QB's make the best coaches especially calling plays because they know how to read defenses. I am extremely happy Jim Zorn is our HC. I prefer him to any of the other candidates Dan interviewed even Bill Cowher. All Cowher is looking for in his next job is money. He has nothing to prove like Zorn. Zorn will come in here fired up ready to prove he deserves this job instead of thinking he deserves the job like some of the other candidates.

In 2005 we appeared in the wild card game and won. Then we appeared in the next round; we lost that one, but we appeared. Finally, we appeared in the wild-card game against Seattle this year. That is an "appearance" in 3 playoff games.

"ap·pear·ance /əˈpɪərəns/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-peer-uhns] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. the act or fact of appearing, as to the eye or mind or before the public: the unannounced appearance of dinner guests; the last appearance of Caruso in Aïda; her first appearance at a stockholders' meeting."

Three appearances/games; two playoff runs.

2 out of 4.

i think about 99% of the fans here would take '3 playoff appearances in 4 years' to mean you made the playoffs 3 times, not played in 3 games in 2 of those years.

I'm one of the 99%.

It was 2 playoffs appearances not 3. This organization is totally broken. How do you hire a guy who has NEVER even been a coordinator to head coach? Has this ever happened before? All Snyder got was a guy he and the front office could control. This team is a joke. Sndyder is a joke, Cerrato is pitiful!!

Andy Reid......

Archived