Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Read this: NFC East coaching comparison

GibbsRedskin

The one thing all three NFC East coaches mentioned have in common: They were all rumored to get fired or step down last season. Didn't we also beat all three of the NFC East teams this year with a coach that all the critics said was out of date. Get real, if the players respond, we'll have as good a chance with Zorn as any other new hire.

The fact is, the NFC is so tight that any team can get hot and win it all. Look at the Giants: They got crushed at home by Green Bay, Minnesota, Dallas and our beloved Redskins. I'll bet 90% of the country would have fired Coughlin after last year, me inclueded. They lost Tiki Barber and Jeremy Shockey (albeit late in the season) and they go on to win the freakin Super Bowl!

Mike McCarthy of the Packers; who the h*ll was he before he became head coach? Now he's the next Joe Gibbs? Green Bay just gave him a 5 year extension!

My only question with the hiring of Zorn as Head Coach is why didn't they just do it in the first place? I guess they wanted to play the field for awhile before committing to one guy. Personally, I am content that we are rolling the dice on a well respected coach who seems like he'll bring some aggressiveness and youth to our staff.

Fassel was a loser that never put together two winning seasons back to back in an era where the NFC East was the NFC Least.

He's not a locker room guy and lost control of the team and got fired for it.

I am beyond happy that he didn't get hired.

he was actually in ny when the nfc easy was half way good with a wining record in 97 and the first time a coach went unbeaten in nfc east play in 97 and then he still put together a good team in 2000 and 2002 madfe the playoffs also he regular beat the eagles even when they had reid

I like this hire! Zorn was one heckova quarterback and from what I've heard he's been a great qb coach. I know he thinks outside of the box and is young minded. I think the fact that he's played in the NFL will win over players. I gotta give it to Dan for not hiring a big name and taking a chance on a younger guy without the experience. Welcome to the Redskins coach Zorn! Here's to hope! :cheers:

I like this hire! Zorn was one heckova quarterback and from what I've heard he's been a great qb coach. I know he thinks outside of the box and is young minded. I think the fact that he's played in the NFL will win over players. I gotta give it to Dan for not hiring a big name and taking a chance on a younger guy without the experience. Welcome to the Redskins coach Zorn! Here's to hope! :cheers:
I can't argue with any of that.:cheers:

Man you guys let's atleast give him a chance.

Now imagine how crazy this place would be if we DID hire Fassel.

With Fassel, we would still have Zorn.

The hire basically says that the front office values Zorn as HC more than Fassel and Zorn. More than GW and Saunders and more than GW and Zorn.

We lost 3 former NFL head coaches and added a guy who has never called a single NFL play in his life as a coordinator to HC.

He will have more pressure on him than any rookie HC in NFL history.

We're basically skewering Snyder for showing competency and balls. Right? I mean, what inspires you more from the owner position? Going out and hiring the biggest name? Or bringing home the unknown guy who people in the NFL (specifically, his players) speak well of?

I'm not worried that, right now, Zorn isn't a "name" on par with retread-and-holding-the-position-for-Garrett Phillips, can't-quite-get-past-the-championship-game Reid, or almost-fired Coughlin. Haha. I'm just playing. There's some good coaches in the NFC East. Zorn has his work cut out for him. But I'm optimistic he can get the job done even if he - rather, especially because he - isn't a name. Yet.

We're basically skewering Snyder for showing competency and balls. Right? I mean, what inspires you more from the owner position? Going out and hiring the biggest name? Or bringing home the unknown guy who people in the NFL (specifically, his players) speak well of?

I'm not worried that, right now, Zorn isn't a "name" on par with retread-and-holding-the-position-for-Garrett Phillips, can't-quite-get-past-the-championship-game Reid, or almost-fired Coughlin. Haha. I'm just playing. There's some good coaches in the NFC East. Zorn has his work cut out for him. But I'm optimistic he can get the job done even if he - rather, especially because he - isn't a name. Yet.

:applause: I agree...We as fans need to support Zorn, and show some patience...

Andy Reid: 96-62 with Eagles, 1 NFC championship

Tom Coughlin: 39-31 with Giants, 1 Super Bowl title

Wade Phillips: 13-4 with Cowboys

This is an elite NFL division in terms of coaching. And our strategy is to name a man who's never even been a COORDINATOR in this league to go to war with these guys?

This is like promoting a Corporal to commander of our European forces during World War II. Just doesn't make sense, guys.

you could have said the same thing about andy reid when he was elevated to HC

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. What inspires you more from an owner and an organization? That they hire a candidate from a pool that any fan could fill out? Or that they can think outside the box and go with an untapped commodity? Snyder's rep took a little hit from this process, but I think he ultimately made a good decision - likely in part due to help from Gibbs and from remaining patient through the process. it gives me more faith in Snyder. He's changed since he brought Gibbs on board 4 years ago.

[quote name=

This is like promoting a Corporal to commander of our European forces during World War II. Just doesn't make sense' date=' guys.[/quote]

If you're going to use this analogy, sometimes that makes a better leader, battle tested and all. Just saying........

Calm down man. Listen, where was Reid before he came to Phily? how about Coughlin? And Wade? Zorn has a solid pedigree, and I don't care if he hasn't been a Coordinator, I think that's incorrect, you act like a guy who coaches on Offense and QBs wouldn't know the offense. Good Grief.

This is an elite NFL division in terms of coaching. And our strategy is to name a man who's never even been a COORDINATOR in this league to go to war with these guys?

This is like promoting a Corporal to commander of our European forces during World War II. Just doesn't make sense, guys.

What's the new saying? It is what it is? It doesn't make sence to me either, but I'm tired of complaining about it.

What makes sense? When Jack Kent Cooke hired Joe Gibbs in 1983 did it make sense? No especially back then. Did it make sense for Robert Kraft to hire Bill Belichik after stinking up the joint in Cleveland? No. Did it make sense for San Diego to fire Marty after going 14-2 and then hire Norv Turner? No. So while doesn't make sense it might be the right move to make and besides Wade Phillips is not an elite coach. He has been the beneficiary of a good OC and inherited a good team just like Norv did.

This is a very silly post. a) If he had listened to his players, he would have hired Gregg Williams. B) Dan Snyder has a terrible track record of hiring coaches!!! Lest you forget?

Andy Reid - hired as HC by the Eagles directly from his previous job as Mike Holmgren's QB Coach!

Excellent point. I don't know if this guy was necessariliy the right hire, but I do think that he deserves a fair shot. I wouldn't have wanted fassel, but I would give him a fair shot. The guy deserves at least 2 years to see what he can do. I am going to support him and hope that he returns us to the playoffs and beyond.

Elite? I don't think I would include Wade Phillips in an elite coaching circle. Tom Coughlin with his previous records with Jacksonville, which you failed to include, is up there as is Andy Ried. I think multiple Super Bowl titles when you mention elite and the NFC East has had that before.

I think a hungry, realatively (54) young gun (young in the sense of experience) might be just the guy to go up against them.

What makes sense? When Jack Kent Cooke hired Joe Gibbs in 1983 did it make sense? No especially back then.

Some of your other examples made sense, but not this one. ^^^

If you remember Gibbs was the OC and Mastermind behind the Long Ball, over 300ypg offense of the SD Chargers with Fouts & Co.; and as I remember it, the whole city was ecstatic that he was coming to DC. So long boring, predictable, Jack Pardee. Remember that? :-)

On top of that, don't forget that Gibbs started off 0-5 that first year.

Wade Phillips 0-4 career as a playoff coach.

Andy Reid, zero Super Bowl titles despite being in the playoffs almost continuously from 2000-2006.

Tom Coughlin, 0-2 in title games in AFC with Jaguars. One successful run in NFC as the #5 seed wildcard to Super Bowl in 2007.

I don't think that puts any of these three up there with Noll, Walsh, Gibbs, etc. :laugh:

These are SOLID coaches. Guys that put a good team on the field.

But they are not immortals.

Do you see any of these coaches joining Gibbs in the Hall of Fame? :)

Archived