Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: "Plenty of Praise for Fassel"

richhilljr

Oh **** me.

Through the CMG translator:

"Oh **** me" = "Oh Ocho me" ?

Why would we have interviewed Meeks a 2nd time??? That makes absolutely no sense. Enlighten me.

Probably to earn an extra bonus points in the Fritz Pollard Alliance game.

Rather than interview two minorities, we'll just interview one -- twice.

While Fassel is far from a sexy choice, I think we could do far worse.

I wonder if Mrs. Fassel agrees with you?:laugh:

Regretably, the 24-hour rule [think about it for 24 hours before deciding] has made Fassel seem like less of the horrendous HC choice that he seemed last week. Then again, it could just be that my head has become numb from the continual buzzing during the past 2-3 weeks.

I get it now! Snyder, like any 8-year old boy would try to do when working Mommy over for a new toy, has just finally worn [some of] us fans down.

Great coach. Offensive innovator. Heckuva coach.

That's just so ridiculously irresponsible I am blown away.

Do people in the sports know what the word GREAT means anymore? Everyone's friggin great now, it means nothing.

Fassel is so far from great and innovative I really think this article was written for The Onion.

Fassell's offenses best fit the players we have painstakingly put in place over the last 4 years. Fassel wins. Fassel coaches, rather than delegates. Remember him telling everyone how pissed off he was in November of 2000 and how he was not going to lose again, and then DIDN'T lose again until the Super Bowl? Remember 2 years later when he got fed up again and took over offensive playcalling, and won 6 in a row and made the playoffs?

Remember?

The man can coach, AND he fits perfectly.

Exactly what is the problem aside from the fact that most of you would get lost for hours trying to discern your ass from a hole in the ground?

You guys want Marriucci?

Give me a break. The guy has zero discipline. He has zero fit with our players and what this team is built for philosophically. Hire Mooch and it's right back to square one.

Hire Fassell and continue on the same path.

(OH, or hire Williams and find out what every other team in the NFL seems to already know,, the guy isn't cut out to be a head coach. He's been fired a week now. If he was so hot to trot, why isn't he interviewing anywhere for any job of substance?

Football knowledge. Sorely lacking around these parts. But hey, plenty of bluster, plenty of whining, so we're par for the course.

~Bang

:applause:

Totaly agree. I dont understand the love fest for mooch. I dont understand the hate for fassel.

I always remebered fassel's teams playing hard for him. He did not have alot of talent to work with in new york. Dave Brown, Danny Kannell??????? He won with those guys, why cant he win with JC, portis, moss, betts, cooley, el, ect ect.

I think he would be a good hire.

Something about mooch just rubs me the wrong way. He seems like he is trying to get paid.

I want a coach that wants to coach to win ball games. I just feel that fassel is hungrier to win.

Fassel doesn't excite me but he doesn't freak me out. He's intelligent, fair-minded, and works well with a variety of people. I think he's a solid football coach who knows this division. I guess I will be trying to help ease 21 through his turmoil should it come to pass. :laugh: Personally, I like him over Mooch, who is still up for another interview. I'm thinking maybe this fresh mix will be a good departure from how inconsistent we've been with the Greatest Show In The Film Room.

Ya know, I loved our previous staff as "figures" and football guys (though I never got a bead on Al--who he was, what he was actually pulling/doing with his calls) , and Gibbs will always be #1 with me.

Though injuries were a real factor, squeaking into play-offs by heroic efforts over 4-5 game runs and then out quick, interwoven with 5-11 seasons does not equal all those big names yielding big results--bottom line.

Whether talking about offense or defense, a specific game or a quarter, a specific unit or a player, a portion of a season or the whole season, it seems that wild inconsistency was our hallmark, IMO, with all the coaching genius and experience we had. Maybe any half-way decent change should be welcome, objectively. I ain't all excited about these candidates, but I sure ain't all rant-y and wail-y. I could live with Fassel well enough out of who's available and see what happens on the field.

At this point... well, I'm not in love with the Fassel choice but I could see it working out okay. We'll take a step back next year I'm sure but hopefully not too big of one. Mooch would be an easier sell to the fans, but he did less with more if you ask me.

The real problem is our front office of Danny/Vinny. No matter who coaches... well, good luck dealing with those two.

Mooch would be my first choice, but if it's Fassel then so be it. I can't take anymore of this. Fassel could like Borat and have the personality of George Bush and I wouldn't care as long as he gets us to the playoffs each year and has us winning the division on a regular basis. With that said I hope to God it isn't Fassel. ;)

:cheers: Cheers..it's Friday!

Mooch would be my first choice, but if it's Fassel then so be it. I can't take anymore of this. Fassel could like Borat and have the personality of George Bush and I wouldn't care as long as he gets us to the playoffs each year and has us winning the division on a regular basis. With that said I hope to God it isn't Fassel. ;)

:cheers: Cheers..it's Friday!

:cheers: to Friday .... and MOOOOOCH!!!!!!!

Do it Dan!!!! DO IT!!!!!!

yep. why you think we got zorn and blache?

Wake up. Fizzel or no other HC candidate had anything to do with the Hiring of Blache as our DC. Fizzel wanted Rex Ryan and that was the marquee name that Danny was going for. When Ryan decided to stay in Baltimore, Danny settled on Blache to calm the rebellion that was brewing over Fizzel.

That's how close we were to having this team being completely dismantled.

As a HC, Fassel never had consecutive winning seasons. Not at Utah and not at NY. Out of 13 seasons (college included), he had six winning seasons. Are we to believe that for 7 years in NY, he never had the "right" players and none of that was his responsibility?

If that is the case then that is pathetic. That would be my reason why Danny would have to be run out of town. Listening to the cuckoo birds out here.

I'm with you. the last place anyone should seek advice on how to run the team is the fans.

the LAST place.

~Bang

I keep seeing Gibbs in front of those cameras with that calming and fatherly demeanor. Those are big shoes to fill, not just from a coaching perspective but an emotional one. That's a lot of what last season was all about.

It's going to be hard to embrace anyone who wasn't a part of last season. I think that's why many, including myself, wanted GW. But, we don't have that as an option anymore.

Snyder has taken enough time looking at all his options. Now, it's time to move on, pick our head coach and support whoever that is.

:2cents:

I'm getting sick of people talking about Fassel as though he were more consistent than Mariucci (I'm omitting Detroit because no coach before or after him has been able to post a winning season, either. Besides, his prior coaching experience more than offsets his transgressions as a Lion.):

Winning/Losing Season Trends:

Mariucci: W,W, L, L, W, W (Playoffs - 4 visits)

Fassel: W, T, L, W, L, W, L (Playoffs - 3 visits)

Mooch had to rebuild a team after two seasons using nothing but draft picks and low-grade free agents because of a formerly spendthrift FO. During his tenure, he presided over the development of Terrell Owens, Jeff Garcia, Fred Beasley, Jeremy Newberry, Andre Carter, Chike Okeafor, Julian Peterson, Lance Schulters, and Jeff Posey.

Meanwhile, Fassel inherited, or pursued in free agency, the following players: Michael Strahan, Michael Barrow, Jesse Armstead, Amani Toomer, Lomas Brown, Ron Stone, Kerry Collins, and Jason Sehorn. These guys were the cornerstone of their superbowl team. Tiki sucked until Coughlin coached him up. Petitgout and Griffin are the only decent players he can be said to have developed.

Mariucci presided over one of the roughest rebuilding projects I've ever seen and was able to build a playoff contender. Meanwhile, Fassel lucked out and got to the superbowl with borrowed players. Yes, he was lucky because his track record of three playoff appearances, including the superbowl season, suggests as much. Additionally, he was thumped in the superbowl in a very non-competitive fashion.

Moreover, Mooch faced a much tougher division, one that included Holmgren's Seahawks and Vermeil's/Martz's Rams. Meanwhile, Fassel faced whatever retread Cowboy Coach was around for their early 90s glory days, Norv Turner's Skins (it pains me to say that), and Reid's Eagles (who didn't blossom until Fassel's superbowl season).

Archived