Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: "Plenty of Praise for Fassel"

richhilljr

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080201/SPORTS01/13418372/1023

Plenty of praise for Fassel

By Ryan O'Halloran

February 1, 2008

PHOENIX — Great coach. Offensive innovator. Heckuva coach.

Although the vibe on the message boards has been consistently negative toward the prospect of Jim Fassel becoming the next Washington Redskins coach, three of his former players with the New York Giants and one of his assistant coaches have vouched for him this week.

Fassel, who lives in nearby Scottsdale, Ariz., has gone silent since owner Dan Snyder opted not to offer him the job last week.

Fassel remains the front-runner even as Snyder reportedly plots a plan to chat with former San Francisco and Detroit coach Steve Mariucci and Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. Those close to New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels don't expect him to pursue the Redskins' opening.

-------------[end clip]--------------

[OP comments] It's a done deal. The PR offensive has already begun. Welcome the Fassel era.

let's hope this whole process hasn't been a sham to attenuate all the angst over hiring a mediocrity like Fossil.

Fassel does have a better track record then Mooch. Yes he might not be a flashy pick like Mooch. Keep in mind neither was Belichick. And I am sure people will be hailing Fassel if he gets us to the playoff this year. Wouldn't you say so?

No, no, no, no no, no .... I refuse to believe it. :doh:

Trot out all the Giants you want to be cheerleaders ... who freakin' cares what they say?!?!

Ugh. F _ _ _ el :puke:

I don't want to either Suze but it looks like as the Rumor Mill is dying out...the PR Spin Machine is starting to crank up again and soon will be into overdrive.

I don't want to either Suze but it looks like as the Rumor Mill is dying out...the PR Spin Machine is starting to crank up again and soon will be into overdrive.

I feel it too ... but I'm a hopeless optimist ... so I refuse to believe it until it's official. :(

And what will really, really tick me off is if this whole waiting until after the SB only occurred so the fan indignation against the whole potential F _ _ _ el hire could have a chance to die down.

Ugh. I feel sick.

I feel it too ... but I'm a hopeless optimist ... so I refuse to believe it until it's official. :(

And what will really, really tick me off is if this whole waiting until after the SB only occurred so the fan indignation against the whole potential F _ _ _ el hire could have a chance to die down.

Ugh. I feel sick.

I don't feel exactly sick about it...but to quote Luke Skywalker, "I have a very bad feeling about this."

Last I checked Ryan O'Halloran works for the Washington Times, not the Redskins. He's a nice guy, but, not known as one of the pocket reporters the Skins can call on. At least not that I'm aware of. It could just be with all the Fassel talk here especially, a writer decided to ask players about the coach who could be ours. And, as a writer, he may have simply written the story they told him, rather than the one you want told.

I'm no Fassel guy. He was a loser, winner, loser, winner, loser his last several years. He can't maintain consistency. His offenses were never above 15th or so in scoring. Never better than average in production really -- little blip I think here and there. An offensive innovator does more than innovate. He makes productive offenses among the game's best. I can innovate plays at my desk but if I can't make them work on a football field, I'm not that good :).

It is probably a good thing players who remember him speak well of him. That's not always the case when a coach moves on. It probably means he could build good relationships with our players and our players NEED, as this article says, the feeling THEY are running things. We see that time and again how they refuse to yield to other ideas pushing for their own and how we play our best when we take the team back from the coach. This happened under Marty, Spurrier AND Gibbs. If Fassel has allowed his team to feel that in the past he'd probably fit the personality of our team.

That said, Mooch is still a better nickname than Fossil, thus, Mooch please :).

When you are making a critical decision like a HC you always want to make sure you have the right man for the job.

well of course, that's why I don't think it's Fassel. If it was going to be Fassel, we would have offered him the job last week and gotten this thing over with. I have a feeling it might be Mooch, and I hope it is.

Archived