Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Left To Dance With Williams

bulldog

I disagree completely. I think if Gregg does get the job, he'll get a three year contract, and get at least the first two seasons to prove himself no matter the outcome of the first season.

Even though the press isn't saying it, do you actually think that Gibbs hasn't given his input on who to look at ? Dan and Vinny aren't flying completely blind.

The play book was starting to open up for Jason prior to the injury. Don't forget, Collins has many years in Al's system compared to Jasons two. If the play book didn't open up with Collins, then I would say there's a problem with the system.

I think you are right on all 3 counts.

Money.

I fully expect for the offense to open up quite a bit without Coach Gibbs going ultra conservative once we spring a lead.

:logo:

We have everything we need here. GW as HC running a high powered defense via a DC of his choosing and AS running the offense. Al's offense will be ultra effective with a big WR and a bulked up O line.

I don't think that it's that simple, unfortunately. I have heard that Williams has not always been happy with Saunders' playcalling, and prefers a more run oriented offense.

I disagree completely. I think if Gregg does get the job, he'll get a three year contract, and get at least the first two seasons to prove himself no matter the outcome of the first season.

I agree with you in theory that he will get a 3 year deal. Lets discuss 2 situations.

Situation A: 1st season 5-11 2nd season 8-8

Situation B: 1st season 11-5 2nd season 8-8

Under those scenarios, what do expect Snyder to do?

it appears that unless Dan Snyder is willing to overpay quite a bit or expand his search to some older coaches like Marty that are anxious to get back in the NFL, that the dancing partner he brought to the party, Gregg Williams, is the one he is going to go home with after all :)

this was a very bad year to be in the market for a HC.

several candidates that were popular around the league, including Mora Jr, Caldwell in Indy and Jason Garrett decided the grass was greener on their own side of the fence and refused to leave their current teams.

with Cowher out of the running, that doesn't leave much to recommend any further continuation of the Redskins 'process' of selecting a coach.

I don't see Ron Meeks being the HC here any more than I saw Jim Schwartz as the man to be picked in Miami.

So, that leaves us with Gregg Williams and Mr. 'X', the mystery coach that the Redskins met with last week in Phoenix.

With all the decisions that this team has to make between now and the start of free agency, it would behoove Snyder to get his HC in place sooner rather than later so he can assemble a coaching staff or if it is Gregg, to keep some and bring in some others who better suit his style.

Unlike the previous years this job was open, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of buzz about the Redskins' job this time around. Surprising considering the club after a playoff season and with some quality talent appears to be in much better shape now than in 2002 when Spurrier was hired or 2004 when Gibbs came back.

Its sad really, we get a younger version of Wade Phillips, a never will be. Good coordinator, bad head coach!

I don't think that it's that simple, unfortunately. I have heard that Williams has not always been happy with Saunders' playcalling, and prefers a more run oriented offense.

Heard from who? I keep hearing about how "unhappy Gregg Williams was/is with Al", but I've never seen any quotes posted on here about it. I'm just saying........

Hopefully Williams will recognize that it's in our best interest to keep this thing rolling, give it some time, and see how it runs now that the training wheels can be taken off a little.

Its sad really, we get a younger version of Wade Phillips, a never will be. Good coordinator, bad head coach!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I bet the Pats are killing themselves for offering that "never will be" Bill Belicheck a job, after his miserable first HC stint.

Kiffin is 58 and has no head coaching experience. Like Jim Johnson in Philly, he is a great coordinator but has avoided the limelight when the attention was focused on him as a potential HC candidate in 2000 and 2002.

I don't see him as the next HC here.

And if Williams gets the HC job, Kiffin isn't coming here as the DC.

That's like having two roosters in the hen house :laugh:

Exactly. The Kiffin rumors make zero sense for all of these reasons . . . unless the team has decided that it's not going to promote Williams.

It's my belief that they met with someone else, though I can only guess who. Fassel seems like a good guess, but that's all it is.

Even though the press isn't saying it, do you actually think that Gibbs hasn't given his input on who to look at ? Dan and Vinny aren't flying completely blind.

The play book was starting to open up for Jason prior to the injury. Don't forget, Collins has many years in Al's system compared to Jasons two. If the play book didn't open up with Collins, then I would say there's a problem with the system.

I agree with you on these points.

Money.

Also, "Coach X" is not Kiffin - he just re-upped with Tampa.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Pete Carroll.

All that being said, the best case scenerio (IMO) is to give Gregg the gig, retain Al and give him full reign of the offense. I fully expect for the offense to open up quite a bit without Coach Gibbs going ultra conservative once we spring a lead.

:logo:

I believe Carroll was reported to be vacationing in Hawaii when this was going down. I could be mistaken on the timing, but that's what I recall.

Several people here, and in other threads, have been speculating that Snyder is interviewing some of these people for assistant positions, and that Williams has already been decided upon. But if this is true, what is the advantage to not naming GW as soon as possible so that he can take part in some of the assistant interviews? Also, with all the off-season work this team needs to make them better than the last few seasons, wouldn't it behoove them to have a HC on board as early as possible?

Williams has one year to perform. Oh he'll get a 3 year deal but with a flashy name like Bill Cowher available in 09; if Greg doesn't do well in 08, it's one and done.

Remember, this is the "new" Snyder. He is said to have developed patience! :laugh:

Several people here, and in other threads, have been speculating that Snyder is interviewing some of these people for assistant positions, and that Williams has already been decided upon. But if this is true, what is the advantage to not naming GW as soon as possible so that he can take part in some of the assistant interviews? Also, with all the off-season work this team needs to make them better than the last few seasons, wouldn't it behoove them to have a HC on board as early as possible?

I agree but you're forgetting the reason is the Rooney Rule. Minorities must be interviewed before a hire can be made.

Unless the first stinks and Cowher's available next year (which he says he will be), in which case Williams better start packing.

Why has GW not been interviewed for the other HC'ing positions? If he is head and shoulders above the others we have interviewed, why didn't the Ravens and Atlanta ask for permission to interview him? Maybe GW is the fat girl no one was going to ask to the dance and Danny has just realized it. Although, sometimes the best surprises are the ones that were completely unexpected.

Archived