Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Left To Dance With Williams

bulldog

I mentioned this in another post...........

Doesn't anyone think that if GW didn't know that the HC job was his that he would be out there interviewing for the other jobs (Atlanta, Baltimore)? They could have been interviewing some of these guys for a defensive coordinator position knowing that GW is taking over as Head Coach.

You couldn't be more right.

Any chance Holmgren leaves Seattle and comes here?

I don't see that happening. Can't see Mike coming here.

With the market as "dry" as it is, this is seriously a situation of "waiting for somthing better to come along" and that "something" never coming along.

For Gregg Williams and for most of the fans on this board, that is a damn good thing.

However, knowing that the market is dry, Gregg better come in here and win us something right away because he will get the hook so fast when proven commodities come back on the scene. I think Dan Snyder will being "courting" those commoditeis (i.e. Bill Cowher) the next year or two. Once he gets one of of those guys on the hook...bye, bye GW.

You couldn't be more right.

You have to be asked before you can interview and as far as any of us know there isn't a shred of evidence that the skins ahve been contacted for permission. HMMMMM......seems like he may be a little overvauled by the skins fans and our organization.

Several people here, and in other threads, have been speculating that Snyder is interviewing some of these people for assistant positions, and that Williams has already been decided upon. But if this is true, what is the advantage to not naming GW as soon as possible so that he can take part in some of the assistant interviews? Also, with all the off-season work this team needs to make them better than the last few seasons, wouldn't it behoove them to have a HC on board as early as possible?

GW could not be announced until a Rooney Rule candidate was interviewed. I agree with others that the search is on for a DC. The Redskins will wait until this weekends playoff games are done. An interview with the Giants DC could take place Monday after they lose to the Pack. :) This guys is an up and comer who would be worth consideration as a DC. Asst head coach and money would probably pry him away. The assistant head coach title would allow him to get out of his contract with the Giants and cash in. I think they want to have the complete staff in place before they make the announcement of GW as head coach so they can hit the ground running. Also the appearance of interviewing the candidates for HC prevents their current teams from interfering with the Redskins ability to interview who they want. I think they are being very smart about this process.

GW could not be announced until a Rooney Rule candidate was interviewed. I agree with others that the search is on for a DC. The Redskins will wait until this weekends playoff games are done. An interview with the Giants DC could take place Monday after they lose to the Pack. :) This guys is an up and comer who would be worth consideration as a DC. Asst head coach and money would probably pry him away. The assistant head coach title would allow him to get out of his contract with the Giants and cash in. I think they want to have the complete staff in place before they make the announcement of GW as head coach so they can hit the ground running. Also the appearance of interviewing the candidates for HC prevents their current teams from interfering with the Redskins ability to interview who they want. I think they are being very smart about this process.

So let me get this straight....Spagnolo (Sp?) is going to leave a division rival to basically make a lateral move, granted, could be for more money, to join an organization that didn't do as well as the one he is currently with the previous year. I think we really overestimate our stature/credibility compared to other organizations. Mark it down, a currently employed coordinator will not leave to become our coordinator. Both Saunders and GW were unemplyed when we hired them. Don't be fooled, these other guys are interviewing for our HC position.

So let me get this straight....Spagnolo (Sp?) is going to leave a division rival to basically make a lateral move, granted, could be for more money, to join an organization that didn't do as well as the one he is currently with the previous year. I think we really overestimate our stature/credibility compared to other organizations. Mark it down, a currently employed coordinator will not leave to become our coordinator. Both Saunders and GW were unemplyed when we hired them. Don't be fooled, these other guys are interviewing for our HC position.

That's how coaches make more money, they coach teams to sucessful seasons. He is not ready to make the jump to HC but could make HC money to come to Washington and prepare himself. Do you honestly think Schwartz or Meeks are HC material? Who else has interviewed them. Schwartz may have been interview by Miami. They haven't announced GW as HC for the previously stated reasons. Don't you think that if GW wasn't sure that he would have the HC job in Washington that he would be persuing a HC or DC job elsewhere? He has been put under a gag order by Snyder. No interviews with other teams or the press. All of the Redskins coaches are still under contract as of now and have to do what Snyder says. I may be completely wrong but it all makes sense to me. I don't think our front office is inept as many of you seem to think. GW has been the guy all along and if it dosen't turn out that way then I'll buy all of you guys a (lost connection)

I think Jason's growth curve has as much to do with the speed of the NFL vs. college football, as it does with different coaches/offenses. Lots of really impressive college QBs struggle adjusting to the NFL where you simply don't have the decision-making time you got in the college game and have to learn to read the defense and make decisions quickly. I'll play the contrarian here and say that I don't think a new offense would set him back more than a year - and that whatever challenges that posed would be balanced by his continued growth in being able to adjust to the speed of the game and react more quickly.

That's how coaches make more money, they coach teams to sucessful seasons. He is not ready to make the jump to HC but could make HC money to come to Washington and prepare himself. Do you honestly think Schwartz or Meeks are HC material? Who else has interviewed them. Schwartz may have been interview by Miami. They haven't announced GW as HC for the previously stated reasons. Don't you think that if GW wasn't sure that he would have the HC job in Washington that he would be persuing a HC or DC job elsewhere? He has been put under a gag order by Snyder. No interviews with other teams or the press. All of the Redskins coaches are still under contract as of now and have to do what Snyder says. I may be completely wrong but it all makes sense to me. I don't think our front office is inept as many of you seem to think. GW has been the guy all along and if it dosen't turn out that way then I'll buy all of you guys a (lost connection)

Meeks is a patsy to fulfill the Roney rule. Schwartz, not sure about him, but I don't think he was interviewed for a Coordinator position. As for GW, very curious that all the usual sources: Mort, Clayton, Schefter, and JLC have not turned up some evidence that the skins were asked permission to interview GW for a HC position. Usually there are reports that a team was asked and declined permission. In fact, I am not sure the skins could refuse for GW to interview for a HC position if they were asked. Asking permission to give a promotion to someone is more of a formality. So the theory that GW has turned down interviews has too many holes in it, without and evidence, circumstantial or otherwise, to hold any water.

Am I the only one who thinks yet another offense will ruin Campbell? Al and Gregg both need to stay and settle their differences.

I am with you on this as well. If Campbell is going to be "the QB of the Future" then some consideration should be taken into account regarding his development. Im not saying that JC will be ruined by yet another offense to learn--in fact, he has demonstrated pretty well that he will work hard to learn a new system--but a change of this sort will certainly NOT help.

Meeks is a patsy to fulfill the Roney rule. Schwartz, not sure about him, but I don't think he was interviewed for a Coordinator position. As for GW, very curious that all the usual sources: Mort, Clayton, Schefter, and JLC have not turned up some evidence that the skins were asked permission to interview GW for a HC position. Usually there are reports that a team was asked and declined permission. In fact, I am not sure the skins could refuse for GW to interview for a HC position if they were asked. Asking permission to give a promotion to someone is more of a formality. So the theory that GW has turned down interviews has too many holes in it, without and evidence, circumstantial or otherwise, to hold any water.

Nah, the Redskins didn't refuse to let teams interview GW, GW did. I think he has refused interested parties because he's sure he has the HC job w/ the Redskins. He has gone missing and refused all interview attempts by the press and other teams. The four interviews everyone refers to w/ Snyder Are about the make up of the team, coaches and players.

Nah, the Redskins didn't refuse to let teams interview GW, GW did. I think he has refused interested parties because he's sure he has the HC job w/ the Redskins. He has gone missing and refused all interview attempts by the press and other teams. The four interviews everyone refers to w/ Snyder Are about the make up of the team, coaches and players.

I think no one has interviewed GW is because no one is interested in him as a HC......except the Redskins.

I think Jason's growth curve has as much to do with the speed of the NFL vs. college football, as it does with different coaches/offenses. Lots of really impressive college QBs struggle adjusting to the NFL where you simply don't have the decision-making time you got in the college game and have to learn to read the defense and make decisions quickly. I'll play the contrarian here and say that I don't think a new offense would set him back more than a year - and that whatever challenges that posed would be balanced by his continued growth in being able to adjust to the speed of the game and react more quickly.

I have stated this in many different threads.

I truly think the game is still too fast for him.

Archived