Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Left To Dance With Williams

bulldog

it appears that unless Dan Snyder is willing to overpay quite a bit or expand his search to some older coaches like Marty that are anxious to get back in the NFL, that the dancing partner he brought to the party, Gregg Williams, is the one he is going to go home with after all :)

this was a very bad year to be in the market for a HC.

several candidates that were popular around the league, including Mora Jr, Caldwell in Indy and Jason Garrett decided the grass was greener on their own side of the fence and refused to leave their current teams.

with Cowher out of the running, that doesn't leave much to recommend any further continuation of the Redskins 'process' of selecting a coach.

I don't see Ron Meeks being the HC here any more than I saw Jim Schwartz as the man to be picked in Miami.

So, that leaves us with Gregg Williams and Mr. 'X', the mystery coach that the Redskins met with last week in Phoenix.

With all the decisions that this team has to make between now and the start of free agency, it would behoove Snyder to get his HC in place sooner rather than later so he can assemble a coaching staff or if it is Gregg, to keep some and bring in some others who better suit his style.

Unlike the previous years this job was open, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of buzz about the Redskins' job this time around. Surprising considering the club after a playoff season and with some quality talent appears to be in much better shape now than in 2002 when Spurrier was hired or 2004 when Gibbs came back.

It was reported that there were no further interviews to be scheduled for the HC job. However, this was before the withdrawal of consideration by Jim Mora Jr. This may cause Dannyboy to open the interviews up again, instead of naming Williams the head coach next week.

However, you are correct when you say that the candidate pool for HC jobs is weak as the people that we have interviewed are either heir apparent to coaches with one foot out the door (Dungy, Holmgren) or are most likely unworthy to take over the team (Schwartz). The only X factor is the mystery interview in Phoenix. I wonder when Illone will be outed as the interviewee? :silly:

Kiffin is 58 and has no head coaching experience. Like Jim Johnson in Philly, he is a great coordinator but has avoided the limelight when the attention was focused on him as a potential HC candidate in 2000 and 2002.

I don't see him as the next HC here.

And if Williams gets the HC job, Kiffin isn't coming here as the DC.

That's like having two roosters in the hen house :laugh:

Kiffin is 58 and has no head coaching experience. Like Jim Johnson in Philly, he is a great coordinator but has avoided the limelight when the attention was focused on him as a potential HC candidate in 2000 and 2002.

And if Williams gets the HC job, Kiffin isn't coming here as the DC.

That's like having two roosters in the hen house :laugh:

what you are saying is 100% correct, but espn reported that the redskins were close to hiring kiffin as defensive coordinator

Actually, I think he turns 68 in February. That makes it even worse. Don't need anybody that old, especially with no head coaching experience.

this was a very bad year to be in the market for a HC.

I disagree. This is one big reason why we need a GM. A good GM will know which coaches to look for. The only problem would be that some teams may not allow some coaches to be interviewed. Danny and Vinny probably don't know who to look for and probably don't have the patience to look around for the best candidate.

I mentioned this in another post...........

Doesn't anyone think that if GW didn't know that the HC job was his that he would be out there interviewing for the other jobs (Atlanta, Baltimore)? They could have been interviewing some of these guys for a defensive coordinator position knowing that GW is taking over as Head Coach.

I disagree. This is one big reason why we need a GM. A good GM will know which coaches to look for. The only problem would be that some teams may not allow some coaches to be interviewed. Danny and Vinny probably don't know who to look for and probably don't have the patience to look around for the best candidate.

We see that the ravens took a unknown commodity in Harabaugh. The question remains if he can lead that franchise when they already had a candidate in ryan in house

I'm glad. I feel he is best suited to run this team, and with all the player support any coach thrown into this is going to gain some bad guy appeal to the players.

Garrett is going to be the next Dallas HC after Wade disappoints again, thats the way I see it anyways.

I'm still thinking they met with Grimm...offered him the yet-to-be-vacant OC job.

Hmmmmmm. Didnt think about that one. Might be the reason for the 50/50 rumor going around with Gregg and Al not getting along and Gregg not liking the play calling last year.

You think Gregg was upset that they was holding back Jason and as soon as he goes down Al's Pick to be starter in the first place goes out there and the play book opens up?

Honestly i see this with GW as an experiment if he is the only qualified candidate. If GW continues to perform, then we will retain the position.

If signs of struggle are upon us, I feel Snyder will find a candidate who will be given the "KEYS TO THE KINGDOM."

Wish I could have the keys to the Kingdom! ;)

Honestly i see this with GW as an experiment if he is the only qualified candidate. If GW continues to perform, then we will retain the position.

If signs of struggle are upon us, I feel Snyder will find a candidate who will be given the "KEYS TO THE KINGDOM."

I disagree completely. I think if Gregg does get the job, he'll get a three year contract, and get at least the first two seasons to prove himself no matter the outcome of the first season.

Even though the press isn't saying it, do you actually think that Gibbs hasn't given his input on who to look at ? Dan and Vinny aren't flying completely blind.

Hmmmmmm. Didnt think about that one. Might be the reason for the 50/50 rumor going around with Gregg and Al not getting along and Gregg not liking the play calling last year.

You think Gregg was upset that they was holding back Jason and as soon as he goes down Al's Pick to be starter in the first place goes out there and the play book opens up?

The play book was starting to open up for Jason prior to the injury. Don't forget, Collins has many years in Al's system compared to Jasons two. If the play book didn't open up with Collins, then I would say there's a problem with the system.

Vermeil guys, Vermeil. He is beyond coaching as far as I am concerned, but I think that's who Snyder interviewed with.

I agree. Kinda interesting b/c he's similar to Gibbs in a lot of ways. I don't think he'll be the next coach though.

The play book was starting to open up for Jason prior to the injury. Don't forget, Collins has many years in Al's system compared to Jasons two. If the play book didn't open up with Collins, then I would say there's a problem with the system.

Money.

Also, "Coach X" is not Kiffin - he just re-upped with Tampa.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Pete Carroll.

All that being said, the best case scenerio (IMO) is to give Gregg the gig, retain Al and give him full reign of the offense. I fully expect for the offense to open up quite a bit without Coach Gibbs going ultra conservative once we spring a lead.

:logo:

Archived