Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC Sports--Schwartz "Frontrunner" For Skins Job

rtandler

That is bad reporting because they could be in trouble for coming out and saying he is the frontrunner not even interviewing a minority candidate yet. Since he interviewed with Snyder, the media assumes he is the frontrunner. The Washington Times is reporting Williams WILL get an interview, according to the same article it said he blew others away in the interview process the first time he got his head coaching job.

That is bad reporting because they could be in trouble for coming out and saying he is the frontrunner not even interviewing a minority candidate yet. Since he interviewed with Snyder, the media assumes he is the frontrunner. The Washington Times is reporting Williams WILL get an interview, according to the same article it said he blew others away in the interview process the first time he got his head coaching job.
that article said he blew skins away with his interview....but that means nothing, they will still interview a few others and THEN make their decision IMO

Why is continuity a good thing?

Because the coaching-go-round we had before Gibbs was a nightmare. Every year a new DC. Every year a new offense. The most common question in all of the NFL is why the Skins, with all of the talent they have, do so poorly? Because of the draft or the lack of it which came from a lack of patience and the desire for the 'big splash' and the big name.

Would I like GW as head coach? Yes, because I think he'd stick with what he had on defense and try to make a few subtle changes. A couple of linemen here, a couple of London Fletcher type FA's there. I fear any new coach coming in will feel under the gun to make it happen immediately to impress Snyder and end up messing up the good parts of what the Skins have. And then we start the coaching-go-round up again.

Or a new coach throws out all that's started to turn under Al Saunder's offense and decides to bring in his own assistants. Not that I'd blame a new coach for doing it. But I just don't want another 5-11 season and then an 8-8 season and then another HC and another and another and another. I just expect Shwartz, or any other "young fiery coach" to be unable to keep DS in check and I fear we'll go back to the big name over-the-hill bunch.

Interesting. I don't know anything about the guy, but I've long thought the Titans one of the best coached teams in the NFL. Even as they've been rebuilding they prove to be a tough out for anyone who plays them. Unlike us, they get the most out of the talent they have on hand. The fact that Snyder is not going for the media name (Cower (please don't), Pete Carrol(he sucked in the NFL)) may also show the guy has finally figured out something about owning a team that goes beyond trading cards. What is also interesting is that GW, after a good year on the defensive end of things, seems to have fallen out of favor. What gives?

Im gonna just play devils advocate here, because I think Grilliams is a great candidate , but maybe Danny is thinking about :

a) The Antonio Pierce situation

B) Lavar's situation

c) Ryan Clark's situation

d) Who was the #1 guy who wanted Archuletta? Grilliams was, and then he was demoted to being in "packages" (granted he sucked anyway)

e) The things said in the Tom Friend article from 2006

f) His experience at Buffalo

And on top of all of that, he may not have a great relationship with him in the first place. I'm just saying, he is the owner and he cant just HAND it to Williams, he has to view him as a head coach, which is very different from a coordinator (see Turner, Norval).

So be happy that Danny is at least trying to pick a good candidate, instead of automatically thinking it'll work with Williams, cause theres a chance it may not.

Well said.:applause:

I don't know why...but I REALLY would like to see this guy get a chance here. For some reason Williams just rubs me the wrong way...although ultimately I would be okay with him being given the job. I am just HOPING that if Schwartz gets the job, Al Saunders stays. We need continuity on offense, and I really like his system.

This one very sarcastic:

SCHWARTZ THE FRONTRUNNER FOR 'SKINS GIG?

Tom Curran of NBCSports.com reports that Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz has emerged the early frontrunner for the head-coaching job in Washington.

A league source told Curran that Schwartz "blew them away" during an interview. [Editor's note: We're fairly certain that the league source isn't Emmitt Smith.]

We're not surprised. Schwartz has a reputation for being extremely intelligent, almost to the point of Billickesque arrogant. But Schwartz might aspire to establish a foothold and then take over, a la Dennis Green. And hisbelief thatthe Moneyball concept can be applied to football is rejected by many.

Meanwhile, Curran mentions that former Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann a/k/a Joey Sunshine is acting as an advisor to the Redskins in their coaching search.

We can hear it now.

Dan Snyder: "Joe, what do you think of Gregg Williams."

Joey Sunshine: "He's the best candidate I've ever seen."

Snyder: "Well, what do you think of Jim Schwartz?"

Sunshine: "He's the best candidate I've ever seen."

Snyder: "How about Rex Ryan?"

Sunshine: "He's the best candidate I've ever seen. . . . Did I mention that I hate Tony Kornheiser?"

Has anyone considered the fact that Snyder may be approaching Schwartz to be Assisant Heach Coach of the Defense? I know I have interviewed for jobs and been considered for multiple slots. Why would this situation be any different especially since there would be a vacany if Williams got the HC job?

95% of Redskins Fans...people on this board (including myself) never have heard of this Scwartz guy.

I would bet A LOT of people never heard of Gibbs prior to him becoming the Redskins head coach in '81. That didnt work out too shabby.

My heart tells me I want G.Williams but my mind doesnt really know. LOL.

I guess we will see what happens.

gibbs is still involved in finding a replacment

if he thinks gwilliams isn't the right man for the job, then there must be a reason

i don't want to jump into any speculation just yet since he is supposely the first and only candidate they interviewed so far

but it doesn't look good for gregg williams

Has anyone considered the fact that Snyder may be approaching Schwartz to be Assisant Heach Coach of the Defense? I know I have interviewed for jobs and been considered for multiple slots. Why would this situation be any different especially since there would be a vacany if Williams got the HC job?

if gregg williams does the the hc position, i'm sure they would bump up jerry gray as the defensive coordinator

I remember another young, hungry assistant coach who was relatively unknown when he was hired by Jack Kent Cooke. His name was Joe Gibbs. Everyone immediately said, "who the @#!$#@$% is Joe Gibbs?" Could we be that lucky again?

if it has to be an outside coach, i rather have a up and coming assistant than a former head coach of a different team

like you said, they are hungry and will have their own, new ideas

Im gonna just play devils advocate here, because I think Grilliams is a great candidate , but maybe Danny is thinking about :

a) The Antonio Pierce situation

B) Lavar's situation

c) Ryan Clark's situation

d) Who was the #1 guy who wanted Archuletta? Grilliams was, and then he was demoted to being in "packages" (granted he sucked anyway)

e) The things said in the Tom Friend article from 2006

f) His experience at Buffalo

And on top of all of that, he may not have a great relationship with him in the first place. I'm just saying, he is the owner and he cant just HAND it to Williams, he has to view him as a head coach, which is very different from a coordinator (see Turner, Norval).

So be happy that Danny is at least trying to pick a good candidate, instead of automatically thinking it'll work with Williams, cause theres a chance it may not.

I think (f) is the one that really concern me the most about Williams. But there are other failed HCs that have done well in their second stint other then Bellicheck. Dave Wannestadt comes to mind in Miami.

(a) was a result of poor player evaluation in general, and possibly a result of the Coles/Moss trade -- the big $9 mil cap hit.

(B) I think was a result of the since departed Dale Lindsey. (And look how much better the LBs played this year! Night and day, and London Fletcher had a bit to do with it.)

© I think Ryan Clark is a product of fan-favorite syndrome. He was let go in favor of a high-priced FA that was awful. Granted we would have been MUCH better off with Clark then Archuletta, but lets be honest here, we didn't exactly let go of Ronnie Lott here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=4301

Not to mention most people kinda like the guy we drafted to replace Archuletta.

(d) I am not sure who to pin the blame on for Arch-deluxe. But then again, he did fool us all. And he also fooled Chicago too.

(e) This doesn't worry me that much. Simply b/c the players are clamoring for Williams. If what the Friend article said was true -- they wouldn't be calling for Williams. If they hated Williams, they wouldn't be asking him to be the HC. I think the player named in (d) had a lot to do with it.

if it has to be an outside coach, i rather have a up and coming assistant than a former head coach of a different team

like you said, they are hungry and will have their own, new ideas

If we did get Shwartz as our new head coach, will he keep AS as the offensive coordinator? I hope so, because the offense seemed to be clicking towards the end of the season. And I don't think we can endure another over haul on offense which would mean a new system would have to be implemented.

hasn't anyone learned that everyone is a frontrunner for the redskins.. every free agent is on the redskins radar list. haha

Ding, Ding, Ding! That's always the case with the Skins. The media always thinks they have the drop on the team. I wish I could remember who they were claiming was the leading candidate for the Job when Gibbs was hired.

Wow, I heard that they were interviewing him but I didn't expect him to "blow them away." I'm lookin forward to seeing how this pans out.

I would read nothing into any public statements or even 'sources close to the situation' comments at this stage. I mean what are they going to say "the guy was a jerk and we wasted the plane fair"? Even if he DID blow them away and they want to offer him the job saying so is not a wise thing to do when they have to negotiate a package with him.

I'd be really surprised if the job went to anyone who did not have previous NFL head coaching experience. This team has the talent to win now - its not a rebuilding project where a coach gets a year or two to learn on the job before he is expected to deliver.

We're not surprised. Schwartz has a reputation for being extremely intelligent, almost to the point of Billickesque arrogant. But Schwartz might aspire to establish a foothold and then take over, a la Dennis Green. And hisbelief thatthe Moneyball concept can be applied to football is rejected by many.

OK, I haven't seen this addressed, but what is the "Moneyball" concept?

Can anyone explain what that is?

Archived