Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC Sports--Schwartz "Frontrunner" For Skins Job

rtandler

Forget Schwartz. I respect what he's done for the Titans. But Greg Williams is the best way to go. Dan is just going through the process that teams have to go by when hiring a new coach. Before Joe Gibbs was hired by Dan in 2004, there was talk of Jimmy Johnson, Ray Rhodes, and Dennis Green being the Redskins coach while all along Snyder had Gibbs in his thoughts. Snyder had also interviewed Hue Jackson. Snyder is probably interviewing just to be interviewing, thus going through with the process, knowing full well that's going to hire Greg Williams.

Forget Schwartz. I respect what he's done for the Titans. But Greg Williams is the best way to go. Dan is just going through the process that teams have to go by when hiring a new coach. Before Joe Gibbs was hired by Dan in 2004, there was talk of Jimmy Johnson, Ray Rhodes, and Dennis Green being the Redskins coach while all along Snyder had Gibbs in his thoughts. Snyder had also interviewed Hue Jackson. Snyder is probably interviewing just to be interviewing, thus going through with the process, knowing full well that's going to hire Greg Williams.
This is what i was hoping for...:munchout:

From Pro Football Talk:

We're not surprised. Schwartz has a reputation for being extremely intelligent, almost to the point of Billickesque arrogant. But Schwartz might aspire to establish a foothold and then take over, a la Dennis Green. And his belief that the Moneyball concept can be applied to football is rejected by many.

PFT's take on this...

SCHWARTZ THE FRONTRUNNER FOR 'SKINS GIG?

Tom Curran of NBCSports.com reports that Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz has emerged the early frontrunner for the head-coaching job in Washington.

A league source told Curran that Schwartz "blew them away" during an interview. [Editor's note: We're fairly certain that the league source isn't Emmitt Smith.]

We're not surprised. Schwartz has a reputation for being extremely intelligent, almost to the point of Billickesque arrogant. But Schwartz might aspire to establish a foothold and then take over, a la Dennis Green. And his belief that the Moneyball concept can be applied to football is rejected by many.

Meanwhile, Curran mentions that former Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann a/k/a Joey Sunshine is acting as an advisor to the Redskins in their coaching search.

We can hear it now.

Dan Snyder: "Joe, what do you think of Gregg Williams."

Joey Sunshine: "He's the best candidate I've ever seen."

Snyder: "Well, what do you think of Jim Schwartz?"

Sunshine: "He's the best candidate I've ever seen."

Snyder: "How about Rex Ryan?"

Sunshine: "He's the best candidate I've ever seen. . . . Did I mention that I hate Tony Kornheiser?"

Who the heck is this guy? But a certain 41 year old was hired back in 1981 and he seemed to worked out pretty well and of course

Wilbon pointed this out today....

The 2 most successful football coaches EVER in this town had to introduce themselves to people when they arrived....Joe Gibbs and Bobby Ross.

Why exactly are a majority here so certain that Williams is the best candidate? Weren't some of you the same people who crapped all over this dude after the "controversy" last year? Is there some inside track that some of you have with regards to Williams being far more superior a choice to any others who will likely be interviewed to be our next Head Coach?

:munchout:

well, at least all the Cowher threads are gone.

Maybe we should bring back the Cowher threads, I mean after all he did a hell of a job filling the voids of all the Players he's lost to Free Agency...Dating back to Rod Woodson and Kevin Greene. :D . And only 1 season removed from Football, damn and the acquisitions in the draft of Willie Parker and Big Ben. I mean who even saw it coming...

Maybe we should bring back the Cowher threads, I mean after all he did a hell of a job filling the voids of all the Players he's lost to Free Agency...Dating back to Rod Woodson and Kevin Greene. :D . And only 1 season removed from Football, damn and the acquisitions in the draft of Willie Parker and Big Ben. I mean who even saw it coming...

This was all done by the GM, not by Cowher.

I didn't get it until your response for some reason. I hate when people make those kinds of assumptions.

Honestly, I think it's a fair question to raise. It may have been uncomfortable at times for Snyder around Gibbs. But it also could be nothing. In the end I hope the best man for the job gets it.

Im gonna just play devils advocate here, because I think Grilliams is a great candidate , but maybe Danny is thinking about :

a) The Antonio Pierce situation

B) Lavar's situation

c) Ryan Clark's situation

d) Who was the #1 guy who wanted Archuletta? Grilliams was, and then he was demoted to being in "packages" (granted he sucked anyway)

e) The things said in the Tom Friend article from 2006

f) His experience at Buffalo

And on top of all of that, he may not have a great relationship with him in the first place. I'm just saying, he is the owner and he cant just HAND it to Williams, he has to view him as a head coach, which is very different from a coordinator (see Turner, Norval).

So be happy that Danny is at least trying to pick a good candidate, instead of automatically thinking it'll work with Williams, cause theres a chance it may not.

:cheers:

This is an interesting and quality post. I believe these facts are known to the front office. I also believe that there are plenty of positives to counter the negatives. Let's hope we get the best guy to do the job for a LONG time and build some real continuity.

- Hail!

I find it interesting that Theismann is serving as an advisor in this. Maybe Snyder isn't flying into this as blindly as some of us thought.

So you don't think Snyder, for want of a better term here, is being a total homer by enlisting Theismann? I'm not slighting #7 I just don't know how much talent he has in helping Snyder find the "right" coach for our team. Thoughts?

I will ... disagree with this view.

Schwartz is a very logical candidate. GW should be worried.

I am guessing that Dan is looking for candidates who can potentially replace GW AND maintain continuity in the Skins organization. Bringing in a former defensive coordinator makes sense, because: (1) Schwartz runs the same type of defense that GW does (e.g., this maintains the continuity); (2) bringing in a new head coach will probably cause GW to quit. which means, we will need someone who runs a defense such as Schwartz; (3) hiring a coach from the offensive side of the ball doesn't make sense, because that means Saunders will probably have to leave AND GW will ALSO leave --causing personnel turnover. This is the opposite of "continuity."

Also, I have noticed that GW have had many issues in the past, mostly with players. All issues that GW had with Lavar, Ryan, etc. In fact, if you carefully think about Archuletta's situation, GW repeated his errors with Lavar. He castigated a player, left him to dry. In both Lavar and Archuletta's situations, it seems that Gibbs had to actually take the lime light and handle the public relations.

Revisit the Archuletta situation: I cannot imagine how GW's handling of that situation could have been looked upon favorably by the upper management. First of all, Archuletta was probably brought in because of GW. So, there is the first minus in terms of talent evaluation.

But that is NOT the biggest error in GW's part. After all, anyone can make a mistake in evaluating a talent.

What really stuck out was how GW handled the situation when he found out that Archuletta was a mistake. GW castigated Archuletta, and simply refused to talk to Archuletta for months. This is just a horrible personnel management. GW SHOULD have had the balls to speak with Archuletta and explain the situation. He should have let Archuletta try to improve his game. It was absurd that Archuletta had to go over GW's head to talk to Gibbs (as it was reported). This has been a repeat of Lavar situation.

Coaching is about managing people -- motivating the players, protecting them, helping them, and if a particular player just do not fit in, the coach at least should be a man enough to be straight with the player. In that regard, GW came across as a complete failure, with Archuletta and Lavar.

If the above situations are any indication, GW should NOT be getting the head coaching position.

Archived