Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC Sports--Schwartz "Frontrunner" For Skins Job

rtandler

I really hope Snyder knows what he's doing. Now look, Schwartz is a smart man. He went to Georgetown University, which is a top tier school, and majored in economics(kinda like Bill Belichick). I guess Snyder thinks Schwartz is the next Bill Belichick because of his major in college :rolleyes:

Well he did coach alongside Belichick in Cleveland.

I just want the best man for the job.

I know I personally have reservations about GW. He has often been inflexible with his scheme and I can't say that I like his notion of building a secondary before a d-line. He may be a better coach now, but that still does not make him great. Petibon was a hell of a coordinator too, but his first ( and only ) year was a nightmare from what I, admittedly vaguely) recall.

Lets just hope Danny has a good interview process and hires a good leader. I would really like to see a young guy get the job though.

So be happy that Danny is at least trying to pick a good candidate, instead of automatically thinking it'll work with Williams, cause theres a chance it may not.

what amazes me is that people are complaining that Dan Snyder is actually trying to take his time and find the best candidate :laugh:

Good...I want someone younger to come in and "blow this team away" it's what we need.

All this talk about continuity is bs.

Gibbs is gone...there's no continuity left worth having-what are we getting mad about...trying to perserve 9-7 or 31-36?

Plus this Scwartz guy prob runs a very similar system defensively to Gregg.

At least it's not the 3-4 of Cowher.

Young and hungry coach.....I like it.

I agree...I was on the GW bandwagon but I like Schwartz the more I read about him and if he is the better candidate and they feel he is ready then pull the trigger!

I don't care if our whiny under-performing players aren't happy...Them being happy has gotten us nowhere!

I don't think I like Theisman assisting in the search. He is kind of a rube.

i was getting the feeling that i was the only one questioning t-heisman's role in the process...why not just hire a freakin GM?:doh: :rolleyes:

e) The things said in the Tom Friend article from 2006

missed that one...cliffs notes?

i've also always wondered what happened w/ LA? how come a "defensive genius" couldn't find a way to utilize a (at that time) Pro Bowl player?

I myself don't really have a front runner in my mind...i feel whoever Dan, Gibbs, and i guess Joe T think is the best for the job I will take a look at and probably support him (until he F's up of course), but i am just curious to see how the GW die hards will spin this...because every single rumor and the news of this interview was spun out of control to make themselves and everyone else believe that GW is still the next coach of the Skins...

I guess I'm not the guy you were looking to respond.

Right now GW is the favorite in my book b/c of continuity and that many players/coaches have come out and supported him.

I also worry about the next HC not being from inside, how long do we have to "rebuild" with this guy before the Skins are again in playoff contention?

But if Schwartz or another coach/coordinator out there can get this team to be better than this year and keep us at the top of the division (like what Wade Phillips has done in Dallas), then that is the guy I want.

I have no problem with this hire if it happens. I thought Danny was going to hire some big-name retread. Williams personality may not be right for a head coach -- he left Buffalo with a long list of folks who just plain hated him. Schwartz is a young coach on the rise with a very solid rep around the league. He also has a background in personnel, which can only help our "front office." And since he's a defensive guy, I bet there's a decent chance Saunders stays if he gets the gig.

Interesting....I wonder how all the GW supporters will spin this one

Let me guess. You knew that Schwartz was the man all along. :rolleyes:

I've seen plenty of "GW supporters" give plenty of reasons as to why he should be the next HC. I've also seen plenty of people say that they think so and so should be the next HC w/out giving any explanation as to why.

Im gonna just play devils advocate here, because I think Grilliams is a great candidate , but maybe Danny is thinking about :

a) The Antonio Pierce situation

B) Lavar's situation

c) Ryan Clark's situation

d) Who was the #1 guy who wanted Archuletta? Grilliams was, and then he was demoted to being in "packages" (granted he sucked anyway)

e) The things said in the Tom Friend article from 2006

f) His experience at Buffalo

And on top of all of that, he may not have a great relationship with him in the first place. I'm just saying, he is the owner and he cant just HAND it to Williams, he has to view him as a head coach, which is very different from a coordinator (see Turner, Norval).

So be happy that Danny is at least trying to pick a good candidate, instead of automatically thinking it'll work with Williams, cause theres a chance it may not.

This is the most brilliant post that I have seen on Extremeskins! I was thinking the same things without having the ability to put it in these words!

Well he did coach alongside Belichick in Cleveland.
No, he was a scout with Belichick in Cleveland. In Baltimore, he was a coach under Marvin Lewis on the Defense. Then he went to Tennessee with Fisher under GW, then became DC when GW left for Buffalo. But he did learn under Belichick, I guess that means something. Just hope he doesn't cheat like him.

It could be just conjecture at this point, but perhaps Snyder thinks he has his OC in Saunders and Schwartz is on board with keeping him around should he get the gig. I'll believe it when they're conducting the dog & pony introduction, but it seems like we have miles to go before that is even close to happening.

perhaps you could provide a cliffs notes version of e) ?

Basically, last season while still in progress Tom Friend of ESPN wrote an article where un-named (Archuletta) players of the Skins were bashing the way the Redskins do business. The only point in particular that stuck with me was that our safeties and corners met with different coaches in different rooms and didn't gameplan together. There was also talk of Gregg's arrogance I believe.

Archived