Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bring back Marty ? (merged)

Pete

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I wish. Marty puts players in position to win everywhere he goes. For the most part, his players reward him with wins. Keep in mind 2 plays that kept him out of the superbowl and tell me how either was his fault:

A) handing off to Byner on the goal line

B) fumbling an interception return

Had either of those plays happened like 99% of the plays those players are involved in, Marty is a Superbowl coach. He goes from team to team and assembles winners. Heck yeah, I'd love it if he returned....

but I think Snyder burned that bridge. :(

Marty is a proven head coach. And despite his inability to win playoff games, he's a strong personality and could handle our "type A" owner. The problem is that we already burn that bridge. I don't know why Marty would ever want this job.. Again. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice.. won't be fooled again!

Did you watch football the year Marty was here? He came back from an 0-5 start and had a very promising year. If we actually had a QB that year and not Tony Banks imagine how good we could have been. Unfortunately you, me, and everyone else does not know how good he could have been because Snyder would not give up full control of the front office to Marty.

I DID watch football in '01, and it was PAINFUL!!!!

First off, we had the easiest schedule in the NFL that year. The only reason we even started out 0-5 is because Marty insisted on a horizontal passing game even though we had a WR who just 2 years earlier led the NFL in YPC and the best RB in the NFC. It wasn't until Marty accepted that we could handoff toe Stephen Davis or pass the ball more than 5 yards downfield that we got anywhere.

Secondly, we went 3-3 in the final 6 games, despite relatively few injuries and excellent talent, and an easy schedule.

Lastly, if you think Cerrato's drafts and GM skills are bad, wtf do you think about Schotferbrains????? Every pick he made in '01 was a bust except for Smoot, and now after 6 years Rosenfels might be a decent backup. His only other good move was picking up Pierce as an UDFA. He gave a monster contract to... Kevin Lockett. :laugh: He cut Larry Centers (who went on to the pro bowl in Buffalo).

People are suddenly all over Marty's jock because he won with what was the most talented team in the NFL last year, and even with LT, Rivers, Gates, and Shawn Merriman he couldn't win a playoff game to save his life. All the credit for SD's success belongs to Butler and Smith who assembled that roster. Even Norvo the Clown was able to win a playoff game with those guys.

Tony banks & Jeff George :doh:

Our WRs

Michael Westbrook & Rod Gardner

Michael bates was our KR. (I don't even know who that is)

Our best past rusher was aging Bruce Smith

and Fred Smoot led the teams in INTs

He really didn't have that great of a team to work with if you ask me.

Uh, that's because HE was given complete control of personnel. Marty wasted a 1st on Gardner.

Bates was a great KR, what are you talking about? He passed Brian Mitchell on the career list that year after he took one to the house.

Westbrook was healthy that entire year, and was just one year removed from leading the NFL in yards per catch...but Schothead insisted on Banks throwing to Gardner.

Smith and Marco Coleman had excellent stats in 2000.

Marty could've signed Dilfer for next to nothing, but he picked Banks over him :laugh: :doh1:

Marty cut the team's leading receiver (FB Larry Centers) from 00 because he didn't take off his hat for a team meeting. :doh:

You think Spurrier ignored the run; that was NOTHING compared to how Schothead tried running the offense the first few games of the season.

And again, we had the easiest schedule in the NFL that year. The fact that we only went 8-8 despite few injuries is proff of how badly the team was coached.

Once Marty caught on to how to play our personal, he looked to be bringing the team around.

What are the chances of Marty returning to DC...........

You are not the only one who thinks this way:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/nflinsider/

Why Not Schottenheimer?

One thought on the coaching search that the Washington Redskins are about to launch:

Why not Marty Schottenheimer?

Yes, Schottenheimer left the Redskins on less-than-wonderful terms after going 8-8 in his one season as their coach in 2001. Redskins owner Daniel Snyder was willing to keep Schottenheimer as his coach but wasn't willing to allow Schottenheimer to retain total control over football-related decisions. Schottenheimer wouldn't agree to a reduction in power, so he was dismissed.

But Schottenheimer has a way of taking such developments as business decisions and not personal ones. He and Snyder have been on good terms since. When Schottenheimer's son Brian, a Redskins assistant during his father's tenure in Washington and now the offensive coordinator of the New York Jets, was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2004, Snyder put the Schottenheimers in touch with the doctor who had treated Snyder for thyroid cancer.

Marty Schottenheimer clearly can still coach, having gone 14-2 for the San Diego Chargers last season before being fired following a second-round playoff loss. He was out of the league this season, but his name has surfaced in connection with the coaching vacancies in Baltimore and Atlanta. If the Redskins decide they don't want to give the job to Gregg Williams and are unable to lure Bill Cowher out of retirement, why not consider Schottenheimer?

______

Man, why did JG had to leave!:doh:

I personally like the make up of this team. We have a few holes to fill but every team does. Therefore I would have to say no to Marty for RIGHT NOW. However, if Greg Williams takes over and the team goes 6-10 or something then I would be all about Marty Ball. It's just bad timing. I think GW as the HC with Al S. as the OC, coupled with essentially the same team could be a GOOD thing. A really good thing. Otherwise, Marty Ball II sounds real good to me

I'd take Marty back over Williams. But that might be faint praise. Kind of like "Joe Gibbs 2.0 has been a success when compared to the state of the Redskins between 1993 and 2003". Yeah.......so?

Marty did a great job in getting the team to rebound after 0-5, but he was one of the main reasons for that 0-5 start. The players were not happy with him and the QB situation made the Brunell/Ramsey/Campbell fiasco look like Montana/Young.

Marty was exactly what the franchise needed after Club Norv, too bad Snyder didn't stick with him but I'm not sure he's what we need right now.

I think we need an innovative mind. A fresh thinker who can use what talent we do have now and bring it to it's full potential. I don't know who that person is, but I don't think Marty is that guy.

Archived