Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Free Agents Yes, but Trades No

bulldog

The biggest hurdle to getting there, imo, is having Snyder understand that it's a TEAM sport. One highly paid FA does not an entire team make. I think we're beginning to show more value for the draft. It can only help our long term prospects as a continually viable (competitive) team.

The biggest hurdle to getting there, imo, is having Snyder understand that it's a TEAM sport. One highly paid FA does not an entire team make. I think we're beginning to show more value for the draft. It can only help our long term prospects as a continually viable (competitive) team.

Well there's alot of people on here that thinks Dan Snyder and Joe gibbs are great at making decisions.

I have to say that I completely disagree with the philosophy of Free Agency over Trades. Yes, Brandon Lloyd was a terrible trade and we traded for TJ Duckett as a panic move, but other than that, trading for players and to acquire higher draft picks has been very successful for us. Most players that have been targeted in Gibbs II have been successful contributors (Portis, Moss, Kendall, traded up for Cooley and McIntosh).

And these days, trading for a player makes more sense than ever. To be honest, the past methods of the Redskins and the general misconception of the success of our trades has adjusted the market to favor our tendency to trade draft picks. Look at the NFL now, free agents are getting waaaaay more than their value on the open market (i.e. Nate Clements). The other thing that is getting way more value is draft picks. Most draft picks end up being busts or average players, but these days, the hopes of getting a Tom Brady in Round 6 has made people lose common sense. That's why Pro Bowl talent can be acquired for scraps (i.e. Randy Moss).

To get to the point, from what I read in one of the ESPN chats last week (can't remember which one), the Broncos can't ask for more than a 5th or 6th for Javon Walker. Snyder needs to make it happen.

With Moss going for a 4th, Welker for a 2nd (and he's off the hook for them,) and many other players going for 4th and 5th rounders, I'd say even if we DO get proven talent at trade, we could still snag them for a lower round pick. But that's only if we get someone truly proven.

Briggs makes more sense now than last April at draft time.

While linebacker is a position you can find players throughout the draft, I would be inclined to focus on DE and OL as well as potentially a corner at #1.

If Briggs' price tag is too high, I would think we can find another performer in free agency who can be a player for us.

Each year there are several capable linebackers out there who switch teams.

Meanwhile, finding pass rushing DEs or top CBs is almost impossible.

the Redskins don't need to spend a lot of extra money again at safety.

at some point this team has to concentrate on the big boys up front and make DE and the OL priorities.

this team desperately needs a pass rusher on the other side of Andre Carter so teams can't game plan on #99.

the Pats I think are going to pay Samuel, especially after losing one of their two #1 picks due to the videotaping scandal.

With Moss going for a 4th, Welker for a 2nd (and he's off the hook for them,) and many other players going for 4th and 5th rounders, I'd say even if we DO get proven talent at trade, we could still snag them for a lower round pick. But that's only if we get someone truly proven.

Moss was available for a 4th rd pick because a lot of teams wouldn't touch him or his contract. Actually the only reason that trade happened was because Moss agreed to take a huge pay cut in exchange for free agency in '08. I think the Patriots were the only team he was willing to do that for.

Just because a trade or two didn't work out doesn't mean you should rule it out entirely. In fact, there are just some players and positions that just don't show up in FA, because teams aren't willing to let those type of players go for free.

For example, if a dominant DE was on the trading block, do you really think we should avoid doing that because we've gotten burned in the past, or should we investigate it like all of our other options?

Jason

draft picks would really help the skins. they havent had many picks in the last few years, which annoys me. im lookin forward to the draft and goin to the Draft Day party at FedEx Field. Ive heard they could go after Lance Briggs, Patriots Asante Samuel and Colts Safety Bob Sanders in FA.

The colts recently locked up sanders for 6 years, so i dont think hes an option anymore :silly:

do we really need briggs? rocky was developing nicely; im sure we could find a solid LB that fills in nicely until rocky gets back on the field

I completely agree. I think the LB corps is solid enough that we don't need a huge signing like Briggs. I'm really not a fan of a big Free Agent signing for this offseason anyway. I think we are one gamebreaking piece away. And its not the Defense that needs fixin.

That's why I would personally get the disgruntled Pro Bowler for the cheap in Javon Walker (he's known for being disgruntled, but not necessarily a cancer). He got a contract a couple of years ago that would be reasonable by 2008 standards. In free agency, the same amount of money might pull Drew Carter or Bernard Berrian. Who would you want between those three.

Spend the 1st Rounder on Calais Campbell to continue our trend of building a young, talented defense. Maybe a 2nd on a CB (to bring some youth and a playmaker while Carlos recovers).

Then build depth on the O-Line, LB corps, and maybe positions like H-Back and TE through the remaining drafts picks and moderately priced free agent vets (Yoder, Caldwell, McCardell types).

We need a couple of guaranteed playmakers and you cannot count on the draft to provide a rookie that contributes immediately. As for big free agent signings, you break the bank for someone that might be average in your system (see Adam Archuleta).

I realize the salary cap for next year's team is still very fluid (last I heard we're millions over next year's larger cap number), but even with cuts and restructures, I just don't see there being a lot of money for Briggs or any other high profile/high cost FAs.

And for cap purpo$e$, drafting as low as #21 is probably a good thing.

Briggs is really the perfect cover 2 LB in coverage. He also is prone to missing tackles. I would rather go with a LB'er in the draft or a cheaper FA. The WSLB postion is really easy to fill because you can go with the speedy guys. I would'nt mind seeing LA come back for the mininium and compete for the wslb job if he is healthy.

If we are gonna spend big bucks on a FA it would be a young CB like Samuel or Trufant.

I've read Jared Allen and Justin Tuck are FA's if that is true those are 2 targets i'd be all over for our d-line, add both and you've hit the jackpot.

To get to the point, from what I read in one of the ESPN chats last week (can't remember which one), the Broncos can't ask for more than a 5th or 6th for Javon Walker. Snyder needs to make it happen.

That's simply not true. Then why did Chris Chambers go for a 2nd round pick this season?

I've read Jared Allen and Justin Tuck are FA's if that is true those are 2 targets i'd be all over for our d-line, add both and you've hit the jackpot.

As much as I'd love to get him, I think Jared Allen is pretty much an impossibility this year. He has been completely dominant and is going to want HUGE money. I seriously doubt we'll have the cap space unless our FO somehow works some serious cap magic. Nevermind the fact that he might be franchised.

What kind of pick(s) would you be willing to part with for Larry Fitz?

Our club has a competitive advantage over other clubs when it comes to FA because we're cash-rich and can structure contracts accordingly. Our sins in FA have not come from the fact that we're using FA, it's from the fact that we've made poor decisions about who we're acquiring. If Archuleta had played like Taylor or Landry, or Lloyd had been a serviceable #2 WR opposite Moss, we're not talking about this.

I do agree that we too readily trade picks away, and that our lack of depth at multiple positions, particularly along both lines, is directly attributable to that.

We need to use all of the tools at our disposal, including FA.

Archived