Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Free Agents Yes, but Trades No

bulldog

the Redskins are going to restructure Portis and others. the team is also going to pursue Briggs it appears and a few other FAs of lesser note.

with Rocky out for perhaps the entire season in 2008, the Briggs move makes more sense now than it did last August.

but what I hope this team has learned from past mistakes is NOT to trade picks in the offseason for veteran players when comparable talent is available in the draft or FA.

one can argue that the move for an Adam Archuleta set this team back in 2006, but nothing has set this team back more over time than trading draft picks for players like Brandon Lloyd and TJ Duckett.

those multiple #3 and #4 picks were a real net loss to the club in re depth for the future. these picks could have been the young guards, wide receivers or corners this team could have used when players went down this season.

and if a deal does come along over the summer, let's make sure we are getting PROVEN talent back from the other club.

TJ Duckett was a bust of a #1 pick who has never been a primary ball carrier in the NFL. Brandon Lloyd never caught more than 43 balls in a season.

That's pathetic. Antonio Gates or Wes Welker catches that many balls in 7 or 8 games :)

the Redskins are going to restructure Portis and others. the team is also going to pursue Briggs it appears and a few other FAs of lesser note.

with Rocky out for perhaps the entire season in 2008, the Briggs move makes more sense now than it did last August.

but what I hope this team has learned from past mistakes is NOT to trade picks in the offseason for veteran players when comparable talent is available in the draft or FA.

one can argue that the move for an Adam Archuleta set this team back in 2006, but nothing has set this team back more over time than trading draft picks for players like Brandon Lloyd and TJ Duckett.

those multiple #3 and #4 picks were a real net loss to the club in re depth for the future. these picks could have been the young guards, wide receivers or corners this team could have used when players went down this season.

and if a deal does come along over the summer, let's make sure we are getting PROVEN talent back from the other club.

TJ Duckett was a bust of a #1 pick who has never been a primary ball carrier in the NFL. Brandon Lloyd never caught more than 43 balls in a season.

That's pathetic. Antonio Gates or Wes Welker catches that many balls in 7 or 8 games :)

Try 4 or 5 games for welker this year :)

When does it begin? (FA)

This off-season Gibbs will have his hands full. The amount of injuries to young starting players will effect the way the skins pick in the draft and go into free agent market. If the skins didn't have Rocky, Carlos hurt with long term injuries and due also the loss of Taylor, I would have guessed the skins picking up a DE and some Oline help now I see them getting CB, LB and FS before they address the lines

As much as I don't want to pickup someone to fill McIntosh's position. The reality is that he's not going to be ready until mid-season next year (at best). We can't have a drop in performance from our LB'ing core. Briggs seems like the ideal fit here. The only question I have is, what do we do with McIntosh when he's ready?

I'm pretty sure Briggs wouldn't except a 2 year deal or something of that nature. He's in his prime and is looking for that one "big" contract that will set him for life.

I think what is going to happen is we are going to go after a grade B or C talented WLB. And once McIntosh is ready that person will just slide back on the depth chart.

I think Briggs can play strongside in the 4-3 if McIntosh comes back healthy at some point and the team has both players ready to go. The Skins would have a very fast set of linebackers and hopefully the team will upgrade at the DE spot on the strongside with a younger player that has the size and strength that Daniels possesses. You won't be able to run a DE on that side at 6'4 and 260 like Carter on the other side.

I hope the Skins avoid FA all together this year and look to get the cap under control and win in two years. Most of our team is young enough to make a five year run at that point.

Me to the FA has not been good to us. Lets learn from our mistakes and put in a strategey that uses the draft and gets our cap under control

I hope we dont trade ANY draft picks. I'd like to see us have a couple more good drafts where we use all of our picks. This way when offseason time rolls around each year we arent scrambling around like ****roaches trying to fill holes and re-structure huge contracts from the previous year(s).

We will need to address a lot of positions if we want our draft to be successful. In my mind, we need to address five positions: WR, CB, OL, DL, and LB. We'll have to address at least two of these positions in FA, because we can't afford to have rookies playing at all these positions. Since the draft is deep in OL and DL, I say we go after a WR (Bryant Johnson), CB (Nnamdi Asomugha or Drayton Florence), and LB (Lance Briggs) this offseason in order to shore up those positions, while address DL and OL in the draft.

I just read in the Washington Post today that the Skins are already pursuing Lance Briggs. He will be an UFA this year so we won't need to trade for him or anything. And since he already wanted to come here before I think there's a good chance we'll pick him up. He definitely has the talent and he has youth on his side. Plus with Rocky out for next season we'll definitely need his skills. Plus, I think the Washington/Fletcher/Briggs combo would be downright deadly on defense and I look forward to seeing that next season.

I just read in the Washington Post today that the Skins are already pursuing Lance Briggs. He will be an UFA this year so we won't need to trade for him or anything. And since he already wanted to come here before I think there's a good chance we'll pick him up. He definitely has the talent and he has youth on his side. Plus with Rocky out for next season we'll definitely need his skills. Plus, I think the Washington/Fletcher/Briggs combo would be downright deadly on defense and I look forward to seeing that next season.

but when briggs wanted to come here last year was it cuz he liked the team and wanted to be a part of it, or was it cuz he knew how we spent in the FA market and wanted to get his big payday?

if it was the former, id have no problem going after him this offseason to replace rocky, then have one of those two replace MW in a year or so.

but if it was the latter, id rather pass on him. no more big FA paydays.

Archived