Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

http://www.badlefthook.com/2013/9/26/4774272/chavez-vs-vera-weight-pushed-up-to-173-rounds-down-to-10-hbo-boxing-news

It won't happen, but I really hope Vera finds a way to win that fight Saturday. With everything else against him, he probably needs to KO JCC Jr to get the win, I wouldn't trust judges in this fight.

JCC Jr can't get out of boxing fast enough. Arum & HBO are just as complicit in this bull****.

I didn't want to be right 

98-92 for Chavez is every bit as bad as the card CJ Ross turned in for the Mayweather fight.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

I dont know how anyone can be a JCC Jr fan, especially if you were not a fan of his dad. Dude doesnt take the sport serious and doesnt care about the fans.

He lost tonight, but of course they gave him a victory. I really hope he fights someone like Andre Ward so he could get laid out.

Chavez Jr is a disgrace to the sport. No discipline at all. Still relying on his daddy's name. Vera should have won the fight. Arum isn't going to put Jr. in there again with someone who'll whup him. The Sergio fight was the last time, unless Arum tries to cash him out.

I don't watch a lot of boxing these days but I did watch last night's event. JCC Jr. got out-hustled all night by a mediocre fighter who had no chance of hurting him. The funny part was that even though Jr. was the bigger fighter throwing bombs, he had no chance of knocking Vera out.

That scorecard simply reminded me of why I don't watch a lot of boxing these days. Silly.

Stephen A Smith truly don't ever need to talk boxing again.

They were talking Hypothetical fights involving Mayweather. Skip said he doesn't know if Floyd ever fought a great fighter and then Stephen A pulled Castillo out of his ass. Stephen A doesn't even know who Castillo was. He just did some homework.

But here is my issue with what he was saying. Of Leonard, Hagler and Hearns, he give Hearns the only legitimate chance to beat Mayweather. He says Leonard didn't have the power and Hagler was too slow. Is he on drugs? I find it funny that he was scared for Mayweather when he fought Alverez but Hagler, a legitimate 160, is too slow and has no chance? Hagler would walk through Mayweather's punches all night. Did he not see Hagler/Hearns? As for Leonard, that would have been one hell of a fight.

If Skip thinks Mayweather has never faced a great fighter, he doesn't know **** about boxing.

I think he was implying that a lot of the great fighters(De La Hoya, Mosley, Cotto)he fought were past their primes. Other than Castillo, who are the great fighters he faced? Judah, Gatti, Hatton, JMM, Alverez?

I think he was implying that a lot of the great fighters(De La Hoya, Mosley, Cotto)he fought were past their primes. Other than Castillo, who are the great fighters he faced? Judah, Gatti, Hatton, JMM, Alverez?

Diego Corrales & Genaro Hernandez to name a couple

People seem to have completely forgotten Mayweather's career south of 140lbs. Mayweather had hall of fame credentials before he moved up to 140+

Floyd has beaten everyone. Prime or no prime. I detested him after he humiliated and disrespected Arturo Gatti (who is probably my most favorite boxer ever), and hasn't changed much since then, but he is legit, and most of his recent fights haven't even been close.

I used to bring up the Hearns/Floyd argument, but I will give Floyd his due. Hearns/Floyd at 147 would be interesting. Floyd has very little TNT in his gloves at 147, and Hearns could probably punch through someones chest cavity and rip their heart out. Hearns has a considerable height advantage. He also has the reach advantage. He also had a monster jab, and was fearless, and would put heat on you. 

Where Floyd would have the advantage is defensively. Using his movement, and countering Hearns, then taking advantage of every time Hearns drops his hands a little, which he did against Sugar Ray Leonard. That's about it though. There's no way Floyd could trade with Hearns and survive, and I don't know if he'd be able to put forth the amount of offense necessary to win a decision (without opening himself up for a goodnight Irene), unless Hearns wails and gets tired. Regardless though, Floyds face would be jacked up after that fight. There would be no **** eating grin. Dude (Hearns) had incredible power.

At 160, there's no way he'd be able to hang with Hagler . No way. It would be like tickling a polar bear. I agree though that stylistically, the most entertaining fight would be Leonard/Floyd. So would Floyd/Duran. Duran didn't have the speed, but he'd crowd Floyd, and keep hitting him round after round no matter what.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

I agree with just about everything you said, BUT he didn't fight everybody. And your last point is why I'd give Pacquiao a good chance of beating Floyd. He would also crowd Floyd PLUS he has speed.

Juan Manuel Marquez is a great counter-puncher. Anybody who knows anything about boxing will never debate that statement. Now having said that, just know that because of that fact is the sole reason why Pac has so much trouble with him. Floyd is probably the best counter-puncher the sport has ever seen and he's actually much more offensive than JMM. Not only more offensive but quicker, stronger, and a lot smarter in the ring. Floyd's timing is unmatched and his defensive skills are impeccable. JMM has excellent timing as well but he's not as slick as Floyd and not as crafty. As we saw when they faced off, Floyd is clearly the superior between them easily pitching a shutout on the scorecards and making it look effortless. So what I really want to know is what have you seen from Pacquiao that would lead you to believe he can really outbox the best pure boxer in the sport?? 

Juan Manuel Marquez is a great counter-puncher. Anybody who knows anything about boxing will never debate that statement. Now having said that, just know that because of that fact is the sole reason why Pac has so much trouble with him. Floyd is probably the best counter-puncher the sport has ever seen and he's actually much more offensive than JMM. Not only more offensive but quicker, stronger, and a lot smarter in the ring. Floyd's timing is unmatched and his defensive skills are impeccable. JMM has excellent timing as well but he's not as slick as Floyd and not as crafty. As we saw when they faced off, Floyd is clearly the superior between them easily pitching a shutout on the scorecards and making it look effortless. So what I really want to know is what have you seen from Pacquiao that would lead you to believe he can really outbox the best pure boxer in the sport??

I never once said Pacquiao would outbox Mayweather. I said that he would crowd him and with his hand speed and power, could beat Mayweather. I understand that Mayweather would be the favorite and I agree that he should, but to me, it can only truely be settled in the ring. I don't care what JMM did or anyone else.

I never once said Pacquiao would outbox Mayweather. I said that he would crowd him and with his hand speed and power, could beat Mayweather. I understand that Mayweather would be the favorite and I agree that he should, but to me, it can only truely be settled in the ring. I don't care what JMM did or anyone else.

The fact that you said he can beat him in a boxing match is why I used the term out box. But I get your point, just respectfully disagree.

Pacquiao has shown time and time again he cannot handle a boxer with good reflex and timing skills. Mayweather is the best at it. Manny has very poor defensive skills and his come forward aggressive style only plays into the hands of Floyd because it will allow him to do what he does best which is sit back and counter punch. 

Aside from the "All it takes is one punch to change a fight..." theory/argument, Manny Pacquiao honestly does not stand much of a chance against Floyd Mayweather. Sorry bro, but it's the truth.

Vera-Chavez Jr 2 is being discussed.  The first fight was the highest rated HBO fight this year

Kahn has officially dropped out of the Alexander fight and will wait for Mayweather.  Mayweather hasn't committed to anything except for the fact he's fighting on the first Saturday in May

Edited by WALEOVECHKIN

The fact that you said he can beat him in a boxing match is why I used the term out box. But I get your point, just respectfully disagree. Pacquiao has shown time and time again he cannot handle a boxer with good reflex and timing skills. Mayweather is the best at it. Manny has very poor defensive skills and his come forward aggressive style only plays into the hands of Floyd because it will allow him to do what he does best which is sit back and counter punch.  Aside from the "All it takes is one punch to change a fight..." theory/argument, Manny Pacquiao honestly does not stand much of a chance against Floyd Mayweather. Sorry bro, but it's the truth.

I respectfully disagree. Let's not forget he beat JMM 2 times and if he didn't get careless, he would have beaten him last year. People seem to forget Pacquiao was controlling the fight until JMM landed that punch. And he beat Bradley regardless of what the scorecards said.

Mayweather could very well beat Pacquiao, but don't give me he has no shot at all. Who has a better shot, Khan?

Vera-Chavez Jr 2 is being discussed.  The first fight was the highest rated HBO fight this year

Kahn has officially dropped out of the Alexander fight and will wait for Mayweather.  Mayweather hasn't committed to anything except for the fact he's fighting on the first Saturday in May

Kinda sad to hear about Chavez being a draw with the ratings. The fact that he draws so well is why he's allowed to get away with all his bull****. Although he didn't come to close to selling out at that arena when other fighters have. He may be good for ratings, but he's losing his ability to sell tickets. At the end of his last fight, even his fans were booing that decision. Hopefully more people wake up and realize he's a fraud.

Khan doesn't deserve that Mayweather fight, his last fight was an uninspiring win over Julio Diaz. He's staying on the sidelines because he has a history of coming up short in the "fight before the big fight" (i.e. his fights with Peterson & Garcia)

I hope something derails that fight, I would much prefer Danny Garcia to get that fight. Neither stand much of a chance against Floyd, but at least Garcia deserves the payday.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

Something that will be interesting is that Bradley has one more fight with Top Rank after the Marquez one.  If he comes out clean and fights early next year, he becomes a promotional FA (assuming he doesn't re-up with Arum).  Mayweather-Bradley late next year/early 2015 would be a solid fight especially if Bradley beats Marquez 

• Like 1

Something that will be interesting is that Bradley has one more fight with Top Rank after the Marquez one.  If he comes out clean and fights early next year, he becomes a promotional FA (assuming he doesn't re-up with Arum).  Mayweather-Bradley late next year/early 2015 would be a solid fight especially if Bradley beats Marquez 

Good point, I was wondering how many more fights Bradley had with TR

I respectfully disagree. Let's not forget he beat JMM 2 times and if he didn't get careless, he would have beaten him last year. People seem to forget Pacquiao was controlling the fight until JMM landed that punch. And he beat Bradley regardless of what the scorecards said.

Mayweather could very well beat Pacquiao, but don't give me he has no shot at all. Who has a better shot, Khan?

Yes he did beat Marquez but each fight had a debatable decision. You could actually argue that Marquez won the fights. I never said he has no chance and I wont say that. But I said his chances are slim. Styles makes fights and Manny's style and lack of defense plays perfectly into Floyd's hands.

Also to mention Khan is laughable. The only reason he gets the Floyd fight is because of his fanbase. All about money, period. There is no one with a "better shot" and to be honest nobody with in a division north or south of the WW division really stands a legitimate shot against Floyd right now.

Floyd would totally outclass Bradley.

• Like 1

So, any interest in Klitschko/Povetkin this weekend?  Personally thought this fight should have happened about 4 years ago. Seems like it wasn't too long ago when Wladimir was getting pasted by Corrie Sanders and Brewster.  And the three knockdowns during the Peter fight.   Someone just need to hit him and we'll have a fight.