Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

I think Manny knows its a great chance he will lose this fight but he just loves too fight and willing too do it for the fans. I think Bob Arum is not ready for his cash cow too fight Mayweather and on top of that hates the man more than anything and don't want too we Mayweather make a dime off of him.

From all reports, we should know something in the next 48 hours. Don't get your hopes up. I believe Manny wants to fight Floyd, but he won't be allowed to fight him. Even though Floyd is partially to blame, Manny's rep is gonna take a massive hit if he chose to fight someone else.

With that being said, if Manny agrees to fight, not on May 5, but in late May, it's up to Floyd to bend a little.

When you're as big as Pac, the promoter works for you. There's no such thing as him "not being allowed".

When you're as big as Pac, the promoter works for you. There's no such thing as him "not being allowed".

I know that, but how many times have we've heard boxers (Manny included) say, "it's up to my promoter?"

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 09:47 PM ----------

I know that, but how many times have we've heard boxers (Manny included) say, "it's up to my promoter?"

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 09:50 PM ----------

I think Manny knows its a great chance he will lose this fight but he just loves too fight and willing too do it for the fans. I think Bob Arum is not ready for his cash cow too fight Mayweather and on top of that hates the man more than anything and don't want too we Mayweather make a dime off of him.

I think Manny goes into the fight confident. I agree with you about Arum though.

I wouldn't say a great chance...

I'm figuring Mayweather will be the betting favorite for sure though. Honestly Mayweather has more to lose in this than Manny, because his entire reputation is built on being undefeated. If Manny loses it'll just be him getting outpointed by Mayweather in a fight he wasn't even favored in anyways.

I think Manny goes into the fight confident. I agree with you about Arum though.

PAC may would have beat him but Oscar was a zombie he was super slow and he couldn't even move PAC. On fight night Oscar was 146 and PAC was I think 148, it was said that Oscar was pushing 170 when he fought Mayweather big difference.

Pac was 142 at the weigh in, while ODLH was 145. Pac had to gain weight for the fight, so to think he hydrated over night and weighed more than Oscar before the fight is doubtful.

Manny knows there is a great chance he will lose????? :ols::ols:

That doesn't even sound right.

If that's the case, that just makes him look better. Knowing that he doesn't throw caution to the wind to preserve his legendary status shows that he's willing to fight anyone. Unlike your boy.

And being one of Pac's biggest fans, I admit that Mayweather style will be hard to handle. He will probably counter Pac to a decision. BUT......I don't think Mayweather has taken a punch from someone like Pac, and he lands one of those left hooks Floyd will hit the mat.

Edited by tone_dubbz

MANILA, Philippines -- Manny Pacquiao's camp says there is no economic sense in setting up a bout with Floyd Mayweather on May 5 after the unbeaten American publicly challenged the Filipino champion via Twitter.

Pacquiao's financial adviser Michael Koncz told The Associated Press on Thursday that a 45,000-seat boxing arena being built in Las Vegas won't be finished before the end of May and staging the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight in a smaller venue is "foolish from an economic standpoint."

Mayweather challenged and taunted Pacquiao to a May 5 bout in a tweet on Tuesday.

"Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see," he tweeted.

Mayweather is available for a fight in May at the MGM Grand Garden after a judge agreed last week to postpone his jail sentence for domestic violence until June. Mayweather was sentenced to 87 days in jail, but likely will serve less time.

The MGM Grand seats about 17,000, which could fetch around $20 million in sales, but the larger arena could raise an additional $30 million, Koncz said.

"Why would I tell Manny to fight on the 5th and throw away a percentage of 30 million? That's crazy," he said.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum has told the Philippines' GMA television the only reason the fight won't happen is if there is an "economic problem."

He said the fight "could happen very, very easily" at the end of May -- enough time to build the outdoor arena "the fight so badly needs."

"I will also guarantee Manny's purse," he said. "In other words, Manny doesn't want to go into the ring and just fight out a percentage."

He said Mayweather is looking for "outside parties to guarantee his end of the purse."

"So, until he finds the angel, there is no fight," Arum said.

In a separate interview with GMA, Pacquiao said that if Mayweather agrees to a "50-50 sharing, there will be no problem."

"The purse is not the issue right now, the date is," Koncz said. "But we don't have a problem splitting it 50-50."

MANILA, Philippines -- Manny Pacquiao's camp says there is no economic sense in setting up a bout with Floyd Mayweather on May 5 after the unbeaten American publicly challenged the Filipino champion via Twitter.

Pacquiao's financial adviser Michael Koncz told The Associated Press on Thursday that a 45,000-seat boxing arena being built in Las Vegas won't be finished before the end of May and staging the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight in a smaller venue is "foolish from an economic standpoint."

Mayweather challenged and taunted Pacquiao to a May 5 bout in a tweet on Tuesday.

"Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see," he tweeted.

Mayweather is available for a fight in May at the MGM Grand Garden after a judge agreed last week to postpone his jail sentence for domestic violence until June. Mayweather was sentenced to 87 days in jail, but likely will serve less time.

The MGM Grand seats about 17,000, which could fetch around $20 million in sales, but the larger arena could raise an additional $30 million, Koncz said.

"Why would I tell Manny to fight on the 5th and throw away a percentage of 30 million? That's crazy," he said.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum has told the Philippines' GMA television the only reason the fight won't happen is if there is an "economic problem."

He said the fight "could happen very, very easily" at the end of May -- enough time to build the outdoor arena "the fight so badly needs."

"I will also guarantee Manny's purse," he said. "In other words, Manny doesn't want to go into the ring and just fight out a percentage."

He said Mayweather is looking for "outside parties to guarantee his end of the purse."

"So, until he finds the angel, there is no fight," Arum said.

In a separate interview with GMA, Pacquiao said that if Mayweather agrees to a "50-50 sharing, there will be no problem."

"The purse is not the issue right now, the date is," Koncz said. "But we don't have a problem splitting it 50-50."

This is ridiculus I hope they fight and its a double KO. So Manny is gonna make more money fighting someone else in june or whenever then just fighting Floyd on may 5th?

These 2 are like a damn soap opera full of BS.

This is ridiculus I hope they fight and its a double KO. So Manny is gonna make more money fighting someone else in june or whenever then just fighting Floyd on may 5th?

These 2 are like a damn soap opera full of BS.

I agree. It's always something with these two.

What's everyone's opinion of the Pac camp wanting to hold the bout in late May as opposed to May 5? Should Floyd bend or is this just Arum coming up with an excuse to not fight Floyd?

I think its both. Floyd should bend, but I fully expect that "constructed arena" to hit a snag and not be finished until after its time for Mayweather to report to prison.

Quite honestly, I'm done with the whole situation. I just don't care much anymore. If Bob Arum weren't involved this fight and the rematch would've happened by now. I'm done with all parties concerned until they're actually in the ring across from the other.

I think its both. Floyd should bend, but I fully expect that "constructed arena" to hit a snag and not be finished until after its time for Mayweather to report to prison.

Quite honestly, I'm done with the whole situation. I just don't care much anymore. If Bob Arum weren't involved this fight and the rematch would've happened by now. I'm done with all parties concerned until they're actually in the ring across from the other.

I hear you. Why does this fight need a 40,000 seat stadium? If the MGM Grand was big enough for virtually every other big fight over the past 15 years, why isn't it big enough for this fight? As a Pac fan, I throw a lot of the blame on him. If he really want to give the fans what they want, he would have told Arum, "I don't care if we have to fight in Floyd's backyard, you just make the fight."

First off don't always believe what you see on TV, typically a house (ANY HOUSE) is built QUICKLY in 3 months, longer pending on size, etc but if it's cookie cutter as those can be then 3 months is good speed.

If you have any sort of idea what rules/regulations/etc. that must be followed for any sort of public construction you would know that it is a far drastic difference in residential dwelling than a public "arena"

I'm not saying money doesn't fix problems or ensure someone can or can't do it, but, obviously if you pay more you have the ability to allow for more hiring, possibly quicker shipment of material, etc. Ultimately I think to build a "temporary facility" that seats 45,000 could be constructed in 4 to 5 months yeah that's probably doable and more likely doable by the end of May as Arum said since we're losing time as each day passes.

The accurate subject is do they want to make the fight not whether or not you can build a venue in the time especially if you don't know anything about a construction process.

I think you missed my sarcasm

I hear you. Why does this fight need a 40,000 seat stadium? If the MGM Grand was big enough for virtually every other big fight over the past 15 years, why isn't it big enough for this fight? As a Pac fan, I throw a lot of the blame on him. If he really want to give the fans what they want, he would have told Arum, "I don't care if we have to fight in Floyd's backyard, you just make the fight."

It's a business.

I'm sure you noticed a while back that Manny stays out of the fight picking portion of his career for the most part, he lets his trainers and business managers line up people for him. No business manager in the world is going to suggest taking X Million on May 5th when you could get an additional possibly 20 million more than that just three weeks later.

I realize a lot of people are going to say he should step up and take charge and say it doesn't matter and he'll fight on the 5th, but keep in mind he trust the people that handle these things. You have a guy that was basically homeless at one point that is now one of the richest and most successful fighters of his generation, obviously the people around him have done their job well, no reason for him to second guess them now.

While I think he's annoyed at Mayweather and his people and the way they've accused him of cheating and being scared and all that, it doesn't rule his life.

It's a business.

I'm sure you noticed a while back that Manny stays out of the fight picking portion of his career for the most part, he lets his trainers and business managers line up people for him. No business manager in the world is going to suggest taking X Million on May 5th when you could get an additional possibly 20 million more than that just three weeks later.

I realize a lot of people are going to say he should step up and take charge and say it doesn't matter and he'll fight on the 5th, but keep in mind he trust the people that handle these things. You have a guy that was basically homeless at one point that is now one of the richest and most successful fighters of his generation, obviously the people around him have done their job well, no reason for him to second guess them now.

While I think he's annoyed at Mayweather and his people and the way they've accused him of cheating and being scared and all that, it doesn't rule his life.

Reports have both Pac/May making around $60 million each. Just how much more do you need? Besides, it was Manny who said he'd take a smaller purse and was gonna demand that Floyd be his next fight. He also said he was gonna give the fans what they want.

I'm a Pacquiao guy, but I have to throw as much blame at him as anybody else in this drama.

I'm a Pacquiao guy, but I have to throw as much blame at him as anybody else in this drama.

Right, I'll wait and see what the next response is. If he offers to take the fight toward the end of May when both fighters can be available then he'll look fine to me, but if he tries to say not before June 9th or whatever then I'll drop the blame on him. The only thing so far is that they won't accept May 5th.

He can't be condemned for not fighting exactly on May 5th just because that's what Mayweather dictated and already had himself scheduled for.

---------- Post added January-12th-2012 at 04:02 PM ----------

Also, the world doesn't revolve around Mayweather's personal life and the fact he got himself in trouble and has to go to jail on June 1st. There is no reason he can't fight a week before he reports to serve his time, he doesn't need a 3+ week cushion there.

Right, I'll wait and see what the next response is. If he offers to take the fight toward the end of May when both fighters can be available then he'll look fine to me, but if he tries to say not before June 9th or whatever then I'll drop the blame on him. The only thing so far is that they won't accept May 5th.

He can't be condemned for not fighting exactly on May 5th just because that's what Mayweather dictated and already had himself scheduled for.

I agree with that. Manny shouldn't be obligated to May 5, but I still put the late May, 40,000 seat stadium deal in the same catogory that I put Floyd's random drug testing demand. Anything to put a snag in negotiations.

Edited by DM72

Would say that he should be obligated too fight May 5 for the sake of boxing!

The man was going too fight May 5 a day before Mayweather sentence changed now free all of a sudden a day after you have a cut that won't heal! Or mayweather won't be licensed in time, or this make believe arena needs another month too be built.

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

If Extreme Makeover Home Edition can build a 5,000 sqft house in 7 days, these bastages can build a temporary facility for this fight lol

I dunno, I'm looking at it again and I don't really see what I'd call sarcasm, maybe I'm wrong but to me if you use sarcasm you make sense with your sharp/witty remark IMO

I think you missed my sarcasm

If I'm wrong then I stand corrected and apologize.

Other than that I'm done with the whole he said she said argument on this fight in general. As a huge boxing fan this thing is actually my losing interest as it continues to drag on...and on....and on

After the Ortiz fight I can honestly say that I've nearly lost all interest in watching Floyd fight anymore as well. I don't know exactly why but it's just gone.Tired of the same ol crap I guess.

Edited by ClemsSC7Skinfan

The man was going too fight May 5 a day before Mayweather sentence changed now free all of a sudden a day after you have a cut that won't heal! Or mayweather won't be licensed in time, or this make believe arena needs another month too be built.

Floyd is very calculating. Manny and Arum aren't stupid. Floyd announced a May 5 fight at the MGM Grand the same week Manny was fighting Marquez just to steal some of the spotlight. If he was really serious about negotiating a fight between Manny and himself, he sit down with Manny and his people and talk. May 5 is Floyd's date. Not Manny's. In this, I don't blame Manny and Arum. They're not gonna let Floyd dictate everything when Manny's just as big as he is.

Again, Manny and Arum share some blame in this, but so don't Floyd.

He's said multiple times the cut is fine...multiple times. You and Stephen A. Smith must share the same ridiculous talking points.

The reason they want to push it back toward the end of May is to make 40+ million more at the gate.

I'm tired of pointing this out since you either ignore it or get mad that it's brought up, but the reason 3 weeks matters so much for Mayweather is that he is going to jail. If he were a normal responsible adult about his personal life this wouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure why you seem to think his failure to act right is now Manny's problem.

^^^

You sound like you are in denial. Arum has made so many excuses for this fight not to happen its not even funny anymore. In fact, a day after this latest excuse about needing a bigger stadium that hasnt been built yet ( when most sales are from ppv anyways ) is that floyd is usic pac to sell a fight against guerrero. http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/01/12/12/arum-floyd-using-pacquiao-sell-guerrero-fight

The 2 top pound for pound fighters in the world just so happen to be in the same class, and yet they have never because:

1. pac is afraid of needles

2. pac doesnt want to lose blood the day before the fight

3. olympic testing isnt mandated

4. cut hasnt healed

5. purse isnt fair

6. disrespected him

7. stadium isnt big enough

8. going to jail

7. false advertisement

which is it now?

Hell it's been 3 excuses this week

The Cut (debunked PAC seen walking around face healed)

I am not sure if Mayweather will be licenses in time (really stupid)

The stadium arena won't be built in time perfect date is June 9 (they finally found one that sticks)

---------- Post added January-12th-2012 at 11:51 PM ----------

I'm going to just assume reading comprehension isn't' a requirement for Mayweather fan boys.

Tired of explaining he's agreed to the blood testing and said the cut is fine.

Why was that even mentioned about the cut not being healed if it was already healed?

Hell it's been 3 excuses this week

The Cut (debunked PAC seen walking around face healed)

I am not sure if Mayweather will be licenses in time (really stupid)

The stadium arena won't be built in time perfect date is June 9 (they finally found one that sticks)

---------- Post added January-12th-2012 at 11:51 PM ----------

Why was that even mentioned about the cut not being healed if it was already healed?

I guess if you guys just want to ignore what Manny himself said and simply quote crazy ass Bob Arum...

Manny himself said "“There is a possibility of fighting Mayweather in May and I’ll discuss what is best for us to do…[the cut is] fine and there’s no problem.”"

---------- Post added January-12th-2012 at 10:56 PM ----------

You guys crack me up by the way, everyone knows if Manny had come back with "Yeah, May 5th is fine, 50/50 split, cya there" that Mayweather would have started ****ing about the money saying he wants it 60/40 his way. He's already tried this before...

Both sides are guilty in this, no one with any common sense can look at this and think Mayweather is real and straight up...

---------- Post added January-12th-2012 at 11:07 PM ----------

At this point, this argument isn't really going anywhere. Both sides have their own views in it.

If Manny's people say they wont fight before June, then I'll gladly acknowledge the blame is on them. If they put up a May date and Mayweather has an issue, it's on him. If they get it worked out, great.