Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

That statement says all you need to know about Floyd. :(

Pretty much, funny since some people on here mocked me for bringing up delaying (to late May) the fight to build the temp stadium for a bigger gate. They seemed to think Mayweather was doing this for the fans and the sport, obviously he's not. He's so fake it's laughable.

i am not an expert on the subject of boxing by any stretch, but in a mega fight like this between two boxers who both draw a crowd, if they cant settle on a 50/50 split then why dont they say fine 60/40 or 70/30 to the winner.

Sadly there is little room for logic & reasoning in boxing negotiations.

Sadly there is little room for logic & reasoning in boxing negotiations.

yeah i guess not

i have never been a huge fan of boxing but for some reason i have become enamored with yuriorkis gamboa.

I cant wait to see his fights and i almost drove to atlantic city for his last fight against ponce de leon but i couldnt get anybody to go with me.

im really looking forward to his next fight and would love to see him face rios but it does scare me a little at the same time cause he would be moving up two weight classes to face a guy who cant even get down to that weight anymore, it seems as though he may be biting off more than he could chew but if he could win that fight the sky is the limit.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2012/1/21/2723080/pacquiao-next-fight-miguel-cotto-rematch-agreed-terms-fight-announcement-monday

Manny Pacquiao's next fight appears set, and could be announced as soon as Monday. The RING reports that Miguel Cotto has agreed to all but a few minor terms for a rematch, and the two will meet again on June 9 in Las Vegas.

Reports say that the Thomas & Mack Center on the campus of UNLV is "in the running," but you could probably bet your last couple of dollars that the MGM Grand will host the fight.

Cotto is the apparent winner of a four-man race which included Juan Manuel Marquez, Timothy Bradley, and Lamont Peterson, and it has been fairly heavily rumored in the last two weeks that Cotto was, indeed, going to be the selection unless the earth turned upside down and Pacquiao fought Floyd Mayweather Jr in May.

The fight is already receiving backlash from many in the boxing community and the fanbase who feel that no matter what, Cotto simply isn't a tough style matchup for Pacquiao. The two went pretty even for the first four rounds of their November 2009 bout, but in the end Pacquiao simply wound up the much better man, and by the time Kenny Bayless mercy-stopped it in the 12th round, Cotto was refusing to engage Pacquiao.

I would spit on this fight if I could.

Well, this is a disappointment.

I'm just curious, I know Bob Arum has said a lot of random things people view as excuses or whatever but what demands has Manny himself made of this fight? The only thing that comes to mind is a simple 50/50 split. It seems like Mayweather tends to make all the demands with blood testing and him getting a bigger purse (really? 50/50 isn't good enough for you? It would still be your biggest payday ever you greedy douche) and I'm sure if they ever got to the details he would have demands on glove weight and ring size (In fairness I think both would probably have an opinion on it). I know it's no one persons fault but this is just ridiculous at this point. That's my problem with boxing...there are too many details that are in control of fighters, if everything isn't just how they want it then they take their toys and go home.

I'm just curious, I know Bob Arum has said a lot of random things people view as excuses or whatever but what demands has Manny himself made of this fight? The only thing that comes to mind is a simple 50/50 split. It seems like Mayweather tends to make all the demands with blood testing and him getting a bigger purse (really? 50/50 isn't good enough for you? It would still be your biggest payday ever you greedy douche) and I'm sure if they ever got to the details he would have demands on glove weight and ring size (In fairness I think both would probably have an opinion on it). I know it's no one persons fault but this is just ridiculous at this point. That's my problem with boxing...there are too many details that are in control of fighters, if everything isn't just how they want it then they take their toys and go home.

Thats the crux of the problems, Manny cant demand anything because Arum's foot is on his throat it seems. When was the last time Pacquiao gave a full interview, made a television appearance or even full on called Mayweather out? The only thing I've seen is one or two lines in a paper out of the Philippines. Everything else is Roach or Arum saying "Manny wants..."

History shows Mayweather will concede on secondary things, in the DLH fight he let Oscar pick the gloves, ring size, weight class, etc. The money will be sorted out. Agree to the date and arena and then let things fall into place. Both are definitely at fault don't get me wrong and Mayweather is culpable but there is no way you can go from "Mayweather is ducking Pacquiao" to then blaming Mayweather when he has been up Pacquiao's ass for a month now begging for a fight where Pacquaio's team has thrown every excuse to not fight.

Arum definitely has his faults, but is there any limit to Mayweather's ego? First he books a date and venue and demands that Manny accepts it. Now, during a phone call to Manny, he says that 50/50 isn't gonna happen and tells Manny that he'll make more fighting him than anyone else. That right there killed all, if any, respect I had for Mayweather. He has the nerve to talk down to Manny as if he's some journyman fighter looking for a good payday?

Someone on another boxing forum said something that I really never thought of, but now he might be on to something. He said Floyd never intended on fighting Manny and that he's just using Manny's name to promote his May 5 fight.

Edited by DM72

It's ok to be a fan of Manny, but to support these B.S. fights he is having is another thing. Cotto? Really? Why does Cotto even belong in the same ring, much less deserve a rematch with Manny?

If there was one fight out there that you couldn't totally cry foul over if it happened right now it is a Pac/JMM rematch, however besides that, there is just no excuse for either fighter to sign their name on a contract that doesn't include the other on there.

They are both older, out of their prime and the fight is beginning to lose relevance at a pace where by the time they do every fight each other (if), it almost won't mean anything anymore because it was an over the hill fighter beating another over the hill fighter.

http://www.tempo.com.ph/2012/no-way/#.TyROZnrcBF-

:doh:

Dammit Manny, just admit you're scared of Floyd. And if you won't face him, how about facing someone new? I'm sure Lamont Peterson would gladly face you.

P.S.:

How's this for a scenario: WBA/IBF champ Lamont Peterson takes on Juan Manuel Marquez with the winner facing the victor in a match between Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley?

If Top Rank CEO Bob Arum had his way, this would be the exact scenario, according to RingTV.com's Lem Satterfield. Arum is scheduled to send a contract on Friday to the Peterson camp that would have Peterson face Marquez at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX sometime in April with the winner to face either Pacquiao or Bradley, who would fight in June in Las Vegas.

One loser in this situation would be Miguel Cotto, who apparently has turned down an opportunity to fight Pacquiao for a second time because he doesn't want to face Pacquiao at 147 pounds. Pacquiao's advisers tell Satterfield that Cotto is not completely out of this yet.

Another possible snag in this tournament scenario would be Floyd Mayweather. If Mayweather is able to fight Pacquiao in November (should he beat Bradley), this whole scenario would be at least partially scrapped

http://www.tempo.com.ph/2012/no-way/#.TyROZnrcBF-

:doh:

Dammit Manny, just admit you're scared of Floyd. And if you won't face him, how about facing someone new? I'm sure Lamont Peterson would gladly face you.

P.S.:

I'm not fooled by Floyd, he doesn't want this fight anymore than Arum does. Manny's just a puppet in all of this. He's gonna fight whoever Arum wants him to fight.

Pac has every right to fire a promoter if he doesn't feel like he is doing things in his best interest. Pac can say all he wants publicly that he would like to fight Floyd, but until he tells Arum behind closed doors to make it happen, it is hard to buy that he cares about it that much.

Not necessarily saying Pac is "scared" or "ducking" Floyd, but it definitely seems that Pac is indifferent to the fighter ever happening.

Not saying Arum and Pac doesn't have any blame in this fight not happening, but Floyd is very calculating and he knows how to make it look like he wants this fight. Floyd knew good and well Arum wasn't gonna agree to a date and venue HE chose all by himself without any input from Arum or Pac.

Then they get on the phone a couple of weeks ago and Floyd wants the lions share of the purse where Manny was asking for 50/50. Floyd is just as much the reason this fight isn't happening than Arum and Manny.

Edited by DM72

I don't consider Floyd an innocent bystander, not by any means. The "May fight date" was probably a long shot regardless of what either fighter wanted.

My point with Pac though is, he is not some young and upcoming fighter that is relying on a veteran promoter to make him some money on his next fight. Dude is set for life and then some, and probably 1-2 fights from retirement if he is indeed set on running for higher office next year in his home country. He has the power to tell Arum to F off if he truly wants to make a fight with Mayweather his no. 1 priority. Pac has kind of sat on the sidelines regarding the fight for a couple years, letting Arum take the heat and rightfully so for a bunch of reasons, but that bird has flown the coop. Pac knows the fight everyone wants to see, the one that will easily make him the most money possible with or without the support of Arum.

I don't consider Floyd an innocent bystander, not by any means. The "May fight date" was probably a long shot regardless of what either fighter wanted.

My point with Pac though is, he is not some young and upcoming fighter that is relying on a veteran promoter to make him some money on his next fight. Dude is set for life and then some, and probably 1-2 fights from retirement if he is indeed set on running for higher office next year in his home country. He has the power to tell Arum to F off if he truly wants to make a fight with Mayweather his no. 1 priority. Pac has kind of sat on the sidelines regarding the fight for a couple years, letting Arum take the heat and rightfully so for a bunch of reasons, but that bird has flown the coop. Pac knows the fight everyone wants to see, the one that will easily make him the most money possible with or without the support of Arum.

Apparently, Manny spends his money just as fast as it comes in, he may not be set for life just yet.

http://onthebeak.com/2011/08/20/freddie-roach-manny-pacquiao-made-me-but-hes-broke-and-will-have-to-keep-fighting-its-his-life-503/

Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38ko), who has an upcoming fight against Juan Manuel Marquez in November, currently divides his time between fighting, being a musician and actor, as well as working as congressman for the Sarangani province in his native Philippines. It is his political obligations, though, together with his generosity that have contributed to a decline in the Filipino’s financial situation.

Roach (pictured above) tellingly explained to Brin-Jonathan Butler: “He’s broke because of that and all the people he flies around to his fights. He goes through money like you wouldn’t believe. He can’t say no. Of course he’ll have to keep fighting. He does now. He won’t be able to stop – it’s his life.”

I agree with your larger point though, Manny is a large enough star to stand up to Arum if he so desired.

Edited by StillUnknown

I see what you're saying and I agree. It's time for Manny to man up and demand the fight. Nobody wants to see him fight Cotto or Marquez again or even Bradly (which would be interesting). There's only one fight the world wants to see and these bozos can't get it together.

If not Mayweather, which wont happen, I would prefer to see Pac fight Bradley. Bradley has earned his shot, even if he can't draw 10 people to a stadium. He is clearly the best 140lb'er in the world right now and would present a different challenge that Manny hasn't seen in his last few fights.

If not Mayweather, which wont happen, I would prefer to see Pac fight Bradley. Bradley has earned his shot, even if he can't draw 10 people to a stadium. He is clearly the best 140lb'er in the world right now and would present a different challenge that Manny hasn't seen in his last few fights.

Bradley ran from Khan why does he deserves mayweather or PAC? Also the guys last 7 fights have envolved his opponents with huge cuts from his gigantic head, if I am PAC or May there's no way I fight him.

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

Bradley ran from Khan why does he deserves mayweather or PAC? Also the guys last 7 fights have envolved his opponents with huge cuts from his gigantic head, if I am PAC or May there's no way I fight him.

Bradley deserves the fight because he's the best reasonable option left, particularly for Pac. I agree he should've fought Khan, but I wouldn't go as far to say he ran from Khan. He called out Khan plenty over the years, Khan & Goldenboy only responded when it was looking likely Bradley was going to sign with Top Rank. Bradley essentially had to make the decision of fighting Khan or signing with Top Rank for the opportunity to fight Pac.

His headbutts annoy me as well and I wouldn't blame either fighter if they chose to not fight Bradley because of them, but on credentials he deserves the Pac fight. He easily beat Peterson, who Khan struggled with despite the shady ref. Nobody wants to see Pac fight Cotto again, and Cotto really hasn't done anything to prove he deserves a rematch (it's not like the first fight was close). JMM is always an option, but we've seen that movie 3 times already.

Thats better than the Canelo Alvarez fight that was rumored. I don't mind seeing Cotto get one more big payday before he calls it quits. He won't win that fight though.

Looks like it will be fought at 154lbs so Cotto won't be drained any.

Edited by StillUnknown