Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

I disagree. They have been rumored to get around $50 million apiece. I doubt they'll get any more than that from here on out. Plus, with each passing fight, this mega fight is starting to lose its luster. It lost a little this pass weekend. Heck, what if Pac or May actually loses? Then the fight is totally off and they both would have lost millions.

Much to gain little to lose. To boxing fans, it's "losing its luster" but with each sensational story, with each leak about the fight ("the little guy is next") the fight is attracting more and more casual fans, and non boxing fans. Case in point, how many people do you know who don't follow boxing relgiously but would go see this fight because of all the hype over the years? It's growing... A few years ago they would not have grossed near $50m....now they should get at least that.

If either one of them lose, they will still get their massive payday....it doesnt take away from the current base of people who want the product, just maybe, and a big maybe, slows the growth of new fans. But they will still get their massive payday...every single person on this thread and more will still watch a manny/floyd fight whether they win or lose the previous. AND they would have a new kid on the block to fight, meaning more money, more hype.

There is no downside to delaying while the hype continues to build, only upside. This is Floyd's game, it's what he does best, besides fighting...he is a master marketer and the most manipulative promoter in the history of the sport.

Much to gain little to lose. To boxing fans, it's "losing its luster" but with each sensational story, with each leak about the fight ("the little guy is next") the fight is attracting more and more casual fans, and non boxing fans. Case in point, how many people do you know who don't follow boxing relgiously but would go see this fight because of all the hype over the years? It's growing... A few years ago they would not have grossed near $50m....now they should get at least that.

If either one of them lose, they will still get their massive payday....it doesnt take away from the current base of people who want the product, just maybe, and a big maybe, slows the growth of new fans. But they will still get their massive payday...every single person on this thread and more will still watch a manny/floyd fight whether they win or lose the previous. AND they would have a new kid on the block to fight, meaning more money, more hype.

There is no downside to delaying while the hype continues to build, only upside. This is Floyd's game, it's what he does best, besides fighting...he is a master marketer and the most manipulative promoter in the history of the sport.

I have to respectfully disagree again. I've heard "atleast" a $50 million payday for a while now. Whatever they do from here on out won't generate any more $ for them.

No way this fight is made if one of these guys loses. Plus, neither fighter is getting any younger. And on top of that, Manny is on record in saying that he doesn't plan on fighting past 2012 and I believe him.

Lets say Manny fights JMM for a 4th time and loses. Do we see a Manny/JMM 5? The time for this fight was probably a year ago, but it's definitely now or never.

Edited by DM72

i agree. the time is now... if it were about money they would do it sooner then later so you can get the rematch and maybe even the trilogy. As they get older and the risk of being beat and/or a younger star emerging into the spotlight, both fighters are at risk of missing this payday. This fight not happening has nothing to do w/ money, it has to do w/ fear and pride.

Until any fights are scheduled, I'm going to assume this is part of a negotiation tactic by Top Rank. They're basically telling Mayweather "this fight (Manny/JMM) was more entertaining and talked about than your last 5. You need this more than we do."

This is how boxing always is, everything surrounding the fight itself is only one step removed from professional wrestling in the theatrics and grandstanding involved.

Juan Manuel Marquez sets conditions for a 4th bout with Manny Pacquiao

Ricardo Lois, Latino Boxing Examiner

November 15, 2011 - Like this? Subscribe to get instant updates.

Just days away from a majority decision defeat to Manny Pacquiao, Juan Manuel Marquez set conditions for a fourth bout with the Filipino boxing icon.

*“Now I am the one who will put forth the conditions.* I want to see if it is true that Manny Pacquiao fights for the people.* First he has to accept that he lost, the WBO must not accept the decision they gave him, and give him a no-contest,” Marquez told Mexican news outlet Proceso.

In the days following Saturday nights bout between Marquez and Pacquiao, their third, promoter Bob Arum has made public comments about pursuing a fourth bout between the two boxers.

Marquez also noted he would want atleast 10 million dollars for a fourth fight with Manny Pacquiao, and would want the event to be housed in Mexico City’s Estadio Azteca.

If that's true....JMM just lost the respect of quite a few people I would imagine. Even if you think you won, to come out and say you won't fight again unless the other guy admits he didn't win before? That's a punk move. It's not anyone elses fault your senile trainer didn't have the common sense to tell you to try and win the final 3 rounds.

Manny should just issue a reply that is "HA HA HA!!"

I forgot how brutal the damage was that Cotto took in that first fight until I watched it again on 24/7. It's pretty obvious he was using plaster wraps when Cotto matched up the pictures of Margarito post fight with the gloves off and the pictures of the confiscated wraps from the Mosley fight. I'm hoping karma is served on Saturday night.

I hope Cotto gets the win. But he has a lot of hate built up for that fight. The revenge factor may lead to him losing control and getting caught with some bombs. If he fights smart, he should be able to outbox Margarito like he did in the 1st half of the fight. Should be a good fight, either way.

I pains me to say that I think Margarito will knock him out again. I just think if Cotto is in a tough fight, he has an expiration point. He can beat almost everyone but if he loses to someone, he won't beat them in a rematch. I don't think he can KO Antonio so he'll have to go the distance to win this. I wonder if that will feel like justice to Miguel. I hope he wins but I just have the feeling that he (and I) will regret this.

Edit- I also seem to remember Margarito seeming waaay bigger than Cotto last time.

Edited by Chachie

Edit- I also seem to remember Margarito seeming waaay bigger than Cotto last time.

Margarito is like 4-5 inches taller and has a better reach.

Cotto has looked pretty good since the last fight with Margarito, only lost to Manny (almost took him the distance). I can't stand Margarito, they should have never given him a license to box again in the US. He cheated in a way that could have seriously injured (possibly killed) another fighter.

Margarito is like 4-5 inches taller and has a better reach.

Cotto has looked pretty good since the last fight with Margarito, only lost to Manny (almost took him the distance). I can't stand Margarito, they should have never given him a license to box again in the US. He cheated in a way that could have seriously injured (possibly killed) another fighter.

Who of note has he fought other than Manny though? I like Miguel and I agree he has maintained his offensive potency and improved his defense but I just wonder if this is just a bad style matchup for him. Styles make fights.

I have not forgotten that Margarito cheated in their first bout. Maybe the imagery of Cotto's battered face and dazed look are just still too strong in my mind and it's hard for me to see a different outcome under different circumstances. I don't know. I just know that the minute they started negotiating this rematch I got a bad taste in my mouth. Cotto should never give the opportunity for satisfaction or redemption to Margarito.

I always said I would never pay for another card with Margarito on it, but I also said I would support any ppv that actually put forth a great undercard. Tonight's card is easily the deepest I've seen in years for boxing

the undercard has:

Brandon Rios vs. John Murray: 48hrs ago, I would have given Murray no chance, but Rios couldn't make weight and looked horrible on the scales. Rios is as exciting a fighter as there is in boxing, so it should be fun while it lasts. I still think Rios wins, but if it doesn't end early, he will be in alot of trouble

Mike Jones vs. Sebastjan Lujan: Jones is a decent prospect in against good competition. Probably won't be the best fight on the card, but it should be a good and will let you know whether Jones is ready for the likes of Berto or Ortiz at 147.

Delvin Rodriguez vs. Pawel Wolak II: Their first fight earlier this year is probably the fight of the year in boxing. If this one is half as good, it will be worth the price of the PPV alone.

any links for the fight?

http://www.ilemi.me/36208/2/Watch-Miguel-Cotto-vs-Antonio-Margarito/

---------- Post added December-4th-2011 at 12:23 AM ----------

"It doesn't look like Margarito's punches are having the same affect on Cotto as in the first fight" - Max Kellerman during round 4.

Geeee.....I wonder why!? :)

---------- Post added December-4th-2011 at 12:27 AM ----------

50-45 in favor of Cotto after the first 5 rounds.

---------- Post added December-4th-2011 at 12:45 AM ----------

Doc stopped the fight.

The damage Manny did to Margarito's right eye in his last fight may be what retires him, it was still evident this fight.