Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Floyd's matrix ability to simply not get hit and his top tier hand speed would have served him well in any era.  The guy is an absolutely great fighter.  If it wasn't for the fact that he beats women and acts like a spoiled rich teenager, I'd be a fan.   

Good gracious, I can't believe I am going to defend Floyd Mayweather. What you are talking about isn't Mayweather's fault. All he can do is beat everyone that enters the ring with him in his era.

I wonder if Floyd's style wouldn't have been different. He's an incredibly smart fighter.

Dudes a stud. He certainly would've adapted. I think the talent he would've faced would've been far greater but it may not have mattered...

Boxers like Leonard, Hearns, maybe Duran, would have hurt him. Mayweather and Hagler would have been interesting he might have been able to run away from him.

The only one that would have a chance is Hearns because of his reach and length.

Maybe Leonard would give him a go. That's it though.

The only one that would have a chance is Hearns because of his reach and length.

Maybe Leonard would give him a go. That's it though.

Not so sure, Mayweather has never been hit like those men can hit. Make no mistake they could have hit him too. If he could take those hits he could have been considered a great. Like I said many times you are defined by your opponents. Not all his fault other than putting off Pac, but it is what it is. Leonard in his prime would have destroyed him. Edited by HOF44

i'm always amazed at the people who watch and then complain about Mayweather being boring. He's had a style that has worked for him and has not deviated from it in over 20 years. He will be still be able to talk when he's 45, which is all the more important since he has well documented issues reading.

If you want action, there are literally dozens of other fighters for your enjoyment.

I wouldnt enjoy boxing if everybody did what floyd does, but they don't because they largely can't. His skillset seems to come around once a generation. Pacquiao is one of the more gifted offensive fighters i've seen, and he landed a grand total of 81 punches on Mayweather.

**** him as a human being though.

• Like 3

HOF, Defined by beating every single opponent.

Including champions, or former champs.

The guy is half your size. He has been hit and hard by pros.

Boxing is not like the NFL...

Please.

Edited by Kosher Ham

Defined by beating every single opponent.

Including champions, or former champs.

The guy is half your size. He has been hit and hard by pros.

Boxing is not like the NFL...

Please.

Like I said he fought what was there for the most part. All he can do. It's a shame he never had another great boxer to face. Part of it is a boxing a decline in general. Less good boxers equals less talented fighters with better records. Edited by HOF44

HOF, I also disagree about the "destruction" from SRL.  

They are the same fighter...May is a little better defensively and I love SRL as has been stated in this thread. It would be a very tough fight.

I disagree. I think Leonard could take his punch but I don't think Mayweather could take Leonards and Leonard was as quick as Mayweather. It would have tested Mayweathers fortitude for sure. We would get to see how he reacted to someone at least equal and probably superior.

Leonard in his prime would have destroyed him.

My dad said this to me yesterday. He said Floyd could beat Hearns, maybe Duran and Hagler, but not Leonard. I was kind of surprised, not because I don't think extremely highly of Leonard, but you're THAT confident prime Leonard would beat prime Floyd's ass? I'd say it's a very close call. Slightly favor Floyd.

In the entertainment category, Ray Leonard and the other three all day. Hagler is one of my all time favorites.

My dad said this to me yesterday. He said Floyd could beat Hearns, maybe Duran and Hagler, but not Leonard. I was kind of surprised, not because I don't think extremely highly of Leonard, but you're THAT confident prime Leonard would beat prime Floyd's ass? I'd say it's a very close call. Slightly favor Floyd.

In the entertainment category, Ray Leonard and the other three all day. Hagler is one of my all time favorites.

Don't know of you ever were able to see Leonard fight, but he would turn viscous when he hurt you. I think to this day pound for pound he was the best fighter I have ever seen, I've been watching since Ali, to young for Cassius Clay. ;). Edited by HOF44

Hard to believe they sold that as the "fight of the century"

Most over-rated fight ever.

Not at all, it was a great fight-- for what boxing is.  Hence, this was the end of boxing the average sports fan probably cannot name another boxer. Boxing is dead, UFC is the future. 

Don't know of you ever were able to see Leonard fight, but he would turn viscous when he hurt you. I think to this day pound for pound he was the best fighter I have ever seen, I've been watching since Ali, to young for Cassius Clay. ;).

Of course I've seen him fight, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to form my opinion. Would be baffling to be a huge Hagler fan without seeing a Ray Leonard fight. I'm all about that fearsome foursome of Hearns/Hagler/Duran/Leonard. Outside of "No Mas", Duran is such a bad mother****er. Imagine him fighting Pac.

Sugar Ray would embarass fools when he had them hurt, the question is would he hurt Floyd in the first place? I think Floyd's defense (was) the best we've ever seen. He has rarely even been jolted, has never touched the canvas. Yes, Sugar Ray's punching speed is blindingly quick...but I have a hard time being so sure that he'd put Floyd on wobbly legs. Maybe he would, I still would pick Floyd by decision. Hope I'd be wrong.

Of course I've seen him fight, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to form my opinion. Would be baffling to be a huge Hagler fan without seeing a Ray Leonard fight. I'm all about that fearsome foursome of Hearns/Hagler/Duran/Leonard. Outside of "No Mas", Duran is such a bad mother****er. Imagine him fighting Pac.

Sugar Ray would embarass fools when he had them hurt, the question is would he hurt Floyd in the first place? I think Floyd's defense (was) the best we've ever seen. He has rarely even been jolted, has never touched the canvas. Yes, Sugar Ray's punching speed is blindingly quick...but I have a hard time being so sure that he'd put Floyd on wobbly legs. Maybe he would, I still would pick Floyd by decision. Hope I'd be wrong.

No way to say for sure. It would be interesting to see how Mayweather might handle being an underdog. I have no doubt Leonard could hit him. Leonard would wear you out to the body until you lowered you hands then it was over most times.

Well, technically Floyd has been knocked down. Zab knocked him down even though it wasn't ruled one but still his talent is unreal. I wish he wasn't such a ****ty person because I want to be a fan.

I've always felt that the most interesting all time fight at 147 would be Hearns-Floyd. Hearns power was unreal, but he also wasn't as skilled defensively as some of the other fighters of that era. Got by a lot on offense. Floyds face would be puffy after that one. Hearns jab would have bothered hm

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

I have a feeling a ton of casual fans, not even casual boxing fans, but straight up casual fans bought this fight judging on some of the reactions.

Certainly it's fair to say most of them must have never seen a Mayweather right before. 

I just got home and looking over the thread most of what needed to be said has been but for ****'s sake people don't spend $100 on a sport you don't watch and know nothing about and then complain about a guy who has fought 47 fights before this a certain way like you expected something magically different.

As far as my thoughts?  The fight went the way I expected, HOWEVER, I have to admit I am bit disappointed in Freddie Roach's "game plan" if indeed he actually ever was really working on one because there was nothing different from Pac that I could see, that I haven't seen in every other fight.  I was expecting him to try and come at different angles, to try and maybe change some things up but it was the same Pac I have seen.  He also seemed content with a loss by the 8th round. He can claim all he wants that he "won the fight" but he sure didn't seem interested in doing much to win it after the half way point.

• Like 3

Hopkins and Atlas made a VERY good point concerning Manny. As Manny walked to the post fight podium, they thought he looked way to satisfied and thought he was too satisfied leading up to the fight. Taking selfies walking to the ring?

Well, technically Floyd has been knocked down. Zab knocked him down even though it wasn't ruled one but still his talent is unreal. I wish he wasn't such a ****ty person because I want to be a fan.

Oh yeah, can't believe I forgot about that. Used to watch it over and over just to see Floyd's glove touch the canvas, lol.