Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Face it people, we got LUCKY!

PierceType

Let me start off by saying I am a life-long Redskins fan that used to cheer for them back when Sonny Jergensen wore the jersey, so I'm no troll.

That being said, Joe Gibbs did in the second half what he always does: shut the offense down and try to sit on the lead. Play it safe. Run it up the gut. 3 and out and hope the defense can hold.

However, this time, WE GOT LUCKY:

1. The Giants simply could NOT catch the ball. I think I counted at least 10 drops.

2. I saw at least 3 times we interfered with the receiver and we weren't flagged.

3. Giants defenders twice dropped easy picks.

Gibbs simply refuses to learn and get away from his ULTRA-CONSERVATIVE style when he gets a lead. I swear, I think these 3 point games excite him somehow.

Want PROOF?

In the first 32 minutes of this game, we scored 22 points (could have been more).

In the final 28 minutes of this game we scored ZERO (sound familiar?).

'Nuff said. I'm happy for the win, but we have to thank the Giants more than we have to thank Gibbs.

P.S., I know I'll get flamed for this, so go ahead. I don't care cause I know I'm right.

Honestly, we went up by 19 points. In that situation most teams would have ran the ball a lot, not just Gibbs. If that 19 point margin would have gotten lower than 12 i believe we would have passed a little more. But in that kind of weather with a big lead, what is the point in trying to pass? Avoid the turn overs

Go ahead and flame me for saying this. I dont care, because I KNOW IM RIGHT

The fact that we couldn't score in the second half is worrisome. A really good team scores in both halves. But I'm thrilled we won especially after handing the Giants a victory the last time we played them.:gaintsuck

Im pretty sure we scored a TD in the opening drive of the 2nd half. Scoring in that weather isnt easy

I hate the ultra-conservative Gibbs second half playcalling as much as the next guy...but last night it was appropriate simply because of the weather. Any other circumstance and it was the wrong call, but scoring 19 second half points seemed insurmountable for the Gmen last night.

This thread is garbage, and just like a troll, the OP never came back to defend his words, he just posted his jealous, Antonio Pierce man crush, comments and ran for the hills.

Id like to see a bunny with a pancake on its head right about now. Maybe I can use this thread for something useful.

I HAVE A NINTENDO WII FOR SALE. PM me if you are interested. Its more then the origanal price, but thats because i was the idiot sitting in front of the Toys R us in Woodbridge on Saturday night, in the cold rain that wasnt the snow Ji promised in the Tailgate. PM me if anyone gets desperate for a Wii, I havent even put it on Ebay yet... and that long advertisement was even better then the OP's comments.

Let me start off by saying I am a life-long Redskins fan that used to cheer for them back when Sonny Jergensen wore the jersey, so I'm no troll.

That being said, Joe Gibbs did in the second half what he always does: shut the offense down and try to sit on the lead. Play it safe. Run it up the gut. 3 and out and hope the defense can hold.

However, this time, WE GOT LUCKY:

1. The Giants simply could NOT catch the ball. I think I counted at least 10 drops.

2. I saw at least 3 times we interfered with the receiver and we weren't flagged.

Gibbs simply refuses to learn and get away from his ULTRA-CONSERVATIVE style when he gets a lead. I swear, I think these 3 point games excite him somehow.

Want PROOF?

In the first 32 minutes of this game, we scored 22 points (could have been more).

In the final 28 minutes of this game we scored ZERO (sound familiar?).

'Nuff said. I'm happy for the win, but we have to thank the Giants more than we have to thank Gibbs.

P.S., I know I'll get flamed for this, so go ahead. I don't care cause I know I'm right.

I'm sorry, Pierce. But, there's no such thing as luck. What you call "luck" is the just and inevitable reward of the skillful.

Piercetype, I agree with you. I think many of the posters here are overlooking the same problems that have shown up again and again simply because we won. While I'm happy that we won, Gibbs has shown this season that he simply cannot make halftime adjustments (or he does, and they are wrong). We got away with this game because of all the drops on the Giants side. Remember the first Giants game? They couldn't catch a cold in the first half, got rid of the drops in the second half, and then they scored 3 TDs. We won yesterday because our defense played well, and the Giants' offense didn't.

The team scored on the first possession of the 2nd half. That's not what we have seen in the past with this team.

Lucky? Not really. The Skins played with intensity and the Giants really did not put up an effort. Skins also lost a starting LB and played through, so I'm having a hard time agreeing with this lucky sentiment.

Do I think the defensive playcalling changed to become a little soft in the 4th Q? I do.

Do I think the offensive playcalling was a problem in the 4thQ? Not this game. Not in these conditions.

This is what Peter King has to say about it, with apologies to the poster who covered this in another thread:

I think when we look back on this season, one of the special things about it will be how Washington played after the shooting death of Sean Taylor. That was no flukey win against the Giants on Sunday night. The Redskins got very little out of Todd Collins (8-for-25, with no touchdowns or interceptions), making his first start in 10 years, but they did get a strong, 126-yard performance from Clinton Portis and will have a good chance to make the playoffs if they can win at Minnesota next week.

"We're thrilled," Washington coach Joe Gibbs said. "I told our players that they're taking me for a ride." Players often say after a tragedy like the Taylor death that they're playing for their late friend. But it's becoming remarkable that the Redskins lose their quarterback (Jason Campbell) to a knee injury and their best defensive player (Taylor) and play better than they have in weeks. Whatever is happening here, somehow, the 'Skins are playing their best football of what had been a disappointing season, and it's an inspirational thing to watch.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/12/16/week15/7.html

Yeah, that touchdown drive to start out the second half was really pathetic. Oh, and getting the first down in the final three minutes of the game to extend our drive and allow us to sit on the ball was awful!

Man, are you serious? Just because we didn't march down the field every single drive and score a TD doesn't mean that we were sitting on the lead.

Give me a break.

I'm as big a critic as anyone and other than I think 1 or 2 possessions, I don't have a problem with how the game was called. If Joe told Al to run it a bit and pick how and who--then he did the right thing.

There's such a thing as CONTEXT. If it's a dome, you keep your foot on the gas, I would agree. But the wind made conditions AWFUL for passing and catching the ball. Also, depending how cold it was, with that wind it makes the ball feel different and alters trajectory and spin.

I believe the refs didn't call several penalties they could have that would have helped us seal the game EARLIER, by the way.

Was it closer than need be? Meh, maybe. I think Gregg got conservative, not Joe. And I said that last night in the chat. I didn't have a big issue with the coaching in this game offensively or executively.

I'm glad you are lifelong, as I am. But 5 year olds generally do not remember such things (Sonny Jergensen wore the jersey last in 1974, which would make you 5 years old at the time).

In those conditions, and with the way the Giants were playing, I'm glad he went conservative this particular game. One ball blown just the right way could have ended up in an interception for the Giants and the game could have turned out differently.

And this means what? Like other teams haven't had this type of "luck" against us. I'm glad we were on the receiving end of such luck this time.

Giant's miscues were a big part. But without Gibbs this year with tehe tragedy of Sean Taylor, I'm not sure this team would have played their hearts out like they have since his death. There is not another person I would have wanted as coach with the tragedy this team has undergone this year.

And I know I'm right.

I'm as big a critic as anyone and other than I think 1 or 2 possessions, I don't have a problem with how the game was called. If Joe told Al to run it a bit and pick how and who--then he did the right thing.

There's such a thing as CONTEXT. If it's a dome, you keep your foot on the gas, I would agree. But the wind made conditions AWFUL for passing and catching the ball. Also, depending how cold it was, with that wind it makes the ball feel different and alters trajectory and spin.

I believe the refs didn't call several penalties they could have that would have helped us seal the game EARLIER, by the way.

Was it closer than need be? Meh, maybe. I think Gregg got conservative, not Joe. And I said that last night in the chat. I didn't have a big issue with the coaching in this game offensively or executively.

Good point on GW backing off. Eli had plenty of time in the second half but I guess GW was waiting for them to prove they could hold on to the ball.

I thought we should have given a game ball to Jacobs for as many check downs as he dropped.

We moved the ball when we needed to move the ball.

Sure the Giants dropped some passes, but so did we. And if the Giants had pressed, we would have pressed in return. However there was no need to do anything other than run out the clock for the entire 4th quarter.

And as for your PI call, the refs were letting them play tonight. The Giants got away with SEVERAL as well. Specifically when Moss and Randle El both got completely mugged by LBers. It was refreshing to see the consistency from the refs.

thats how I saw it...

The Giants definitely helped us out with all the dropped balls, etc, but that doesn't take anything away from Portis' game, or Laron's, or hell, the entire defense and thier "bend don't break" mentality, despite all the injuries and otherwise missing players. We're going to need more offensive production from Collins in the next two, but if Portis and the defense can repeat their performances, we have a real shot at winning out.

And considering how many game we pissed away or lost by a hair, I don't think we were "lucky" to finally be at the receiving end of another team's meltdown-- I think we were due.

As I said, its week to week with Gibbs. One week he decided to be agressive, the next hes back to his own "Please dont beat us!" ways. In 10 or so years in his first tenure, he lost only 22 games where they lead at the half. In his 4 years back so far, hes lost 18. In fact only one other team in the NFL has been as bad as us when leading at the half. This team has all the talent, as they prove when they jump out to leads(many times big leads), and then this team is coached into the ground in second halfs. We were playing prevent defense and run the clock out with over a quarter left last night. Thank goodness for the talent on this team, and big plays made by Portis, Carter, Moss and Betts.

Archived