Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Face it people, we got LUCKY!

PierceType

Let me start off by saying I am a life-long Redskins fan that used to cheer for them back when Sonny Jergensen wore the jersey, so I'm no troll.

That being said, Joe Gibbs did in the second half what he always does: shut the offense down and try to sit on the lead. Play it safe. Run it up the gut. 3 and out and hope the defense can hold.

However, this time, WE GOT LUCKY:

1. The Giants simply could NOT catch the ball. I think I counted at least 10 drops.

2. I saw at least 3 times we interfered with the receiver and we weren't flagged.

3. Giants defenders twice dropped easy picks.

Gibbs simply refuses to learn and get away from his ULTRA-CONSERVATIVE style when he gets a lead. I swear, I think these 3 point games excite him somehow.

Want PROOF?

In the first 32 minutes of this game, we scored 22 points (could have been more).

In the final 28 minutes of this game we scored ZERO (sound familiar?).

'Nuff said. I'm happy for the win, but we have to thank the Giants more than we have to thank Gibbs.

P.S., I know I'll get flamed for this, so go ahead. I don't care cause I know I'm right.

Well PierceType

You have made me choose between you and Joe Gibbs

It was a tough choice, being that you have brought so much to the table for the Redskins organization, but I am going to have choose our Hall of Fame coach.

I know I might get flamed for this. But I know I am right.

Let me start off by saying I am a life-long Redskins fan that used to cheer for them back when Sonny Jergensen wore the jersey, so I'm no troll.

That being said, Joe Gibbs did in the second half what he always does: shut the offense down and try to sit on the lead. Play it safe. Run it up the gut. 3 and out and hope the defense can hold.

However, this time, WE GOT LUCKY:

1. The Giants simply could NOT catch the ball. I think I counted at least 10 drops.

2. I saw at least 3 times we interfered with the receiver and we weren't flagged.

3. Giants defenders twice dropped easy picks.

Gibbs simply refuses to learn and get away from his ULTRA-CONSERVATIVE style when he gets a lead. I swear, I think these 3 point games excite him somehow.

Want PROOF?

In the first 32 minutes of this game, we scored 22 points (could have been more).

In the final 28 minutes of this game we scored ZERO (sound familiar?).

'Nuff said. I'm happy for the win, but we have to thank the Giants more than we have to thank Gibbs.

P.S., I know I'll get flamed for this, so go ahead. I don't care cause I know I'm right.

I don't think we got lucky like you say.

I will agree the offense went into a conservative shell again. And on that point you are 100% accurate

Big difference this week. We weren't protecting a 3 point lead this time when we decided to turn exclusively to the run. You can run check the play-by-play if you want, but as I recall we didn't shut down the pass until there were about 7 minutes left. With the Gmen needing 2 touchdowns and the conditions as they were I can live with that decision.

We moved the ball when we needed to move the ball.

Sure the Giants dropped some passes, but so did we. And if the Giants had pressed, we would have pressed in return. However there was no need to do anything other than run out the clock for the entire 4th quarter.

And as for your PI call, the refs were letting them play tonight. The Giants got away with SEVERAL as well. Specifically when Moss and Randle El both got completely mugged by LBers. It was refreshing to see the consistency from the refs.

The Skins had some drops too.Joe Gibbs did get conservtive in the 2nd half for a good reason, the wind. We were up by 19 points and the running game was working well. Why risk turning the ball over and giving the Giants a short field. I think if the Giants got within a TD, the Skins would have got more aggresive and they would have won even if the Giants made all those catches. It was a good win.

You have a great memory as a toddler...Sonny retired in 1974...you would have been 4.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

face it pierce type, it doesn't matter. gibbs coaced the game as the game went. it's not our fault there offense sucked and refused to catch the ball. but guess what, the entire second half, gibbs coached to win that game. we were up two scores and in a game where the giants were having a tough time moving the ball, gibbs ate up the clock. if this weren't a family message board i would use countless profanities to tear you a new one for showing a complete lack of football knowledge. these threads are getting more and more ridiculous by the day.

what was the final score?

I will admit that I was a little frustrated when there were only 5 minutes left and we ran it up the middle 3 times. But, I have to give credit to the Giants D. they were much more aggressive in the secon half, contributing to some of offensive woes.

More, you need to take into consideration the wind. We had to resort to more of a running game.

We didn't we score on the opening possession of the second half? I'm pretty sure we did?

Anyway, I was planning to answer... And it's about time! For all the misfortune and misery this team has faced we deserved to get a bounce, but let's look at it objectively. You have a QB who hasn't started for ten years, is not known for his arm strength, and a day where the wind is blowing the ball all over the place. Do you really think that's the day to send the ball whizzing through the air? Yesterday a 19 point lead was like a thirty point lead and a 12 point lead was worth much more than that.

We had a backup QB starting for the first time in a decade facing a division rival in their house with 26 mph winds to throw into. Also, our QB does not have a strong arm. We needed big plays from our defense and running game, which we got.

The old philosopy is you manage a game with good defense and an effective ground game. I think it's ok to play not to loose when you are up by 19 points and the other team has to get two TDs, two two point conversions and a field goal in horrible conditions to even tie the game.

"In the first 32 minutes of this game, we scored 22 points (could have been more).

"

exactly. in a lot of games, that will get it done - especially in those conditions.

if we had scored 6 points in every quarter would you think the same score looked better?

tgijef

Archived