Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stupid Personnel Decisions,(merged)

yellow41

People seem to be mixed on blaming the coaching staff vs. the players for yet another mediocre season thus far. So I'm going to chime in... and blame the so-called "front office."

Feel free to agree, disagree, or add to this list from the past few years (these are in no particular order of stupidity):

1. 3rd round pick for TJ Duckett

2. 3rd and 4th round picks for Brandon Lloyd (then re-structure his contract before they meet the guy and realize he's a class-a jerk)

3. First, third, fourth round picks for the rights to Denver's first round pick, used on Jason Campbell (not necessarily the player that's the problem... just that there was no demand for Campbell and they could have used the third round pick to get him).

4. Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis

5. Pick your over-the-hill free agent: Jeff George, Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Dana Stubblefield, Mark Carrier, etc. etc. (credit is due for London Fletcher, however).

6. Pick your free agents left to go to other teams: Ryan Clark, Antonio Pierce, Derrick Dockery.

7. Letting Schottenheimer go after one 8-8 season (which began 0-5) because he was too "hands on" with personnel decisions.

I'll add more as I think of them. Moral of the story: HIRE A GM ALREADY!!!!

3. First, third, fourth round picks for the rights to Denver's first round pick, used on Jason Campbell (not necessarily the player that's the problem... just that there was no demand for Campbell and they could have used the third round pick to get him).

I answered this in the other thread you mentioned it in, but to put simply: You are completely wrong about this. Campbell would have gone at the top of the second round at the latest.

moving back to DC has NOTHING to do with why we are losing. Gibbs, Buges, Saunders can't make Portis and Moss and Campbell to stop fumbling like Old Tiki used to do. I think they need to start fining Moss and Portis for Fumbles after the catch/Hand off, I'm sick of seeing us lose like this.

I answered this in the other thread you mentioned it in, but to put simply: You are completely wrong about this. Campbell would have gone at the top of the second round at the latest.

You may be right... and your response re: the alternative trade possibilities with Rogers involved was a good thought. Either way, I think they could have done more with the 2005 draft and ended up with Campbell if they really wanted.

Actually, it is the good personnel moves that are keeping us competitive. Where would we be if we didn't have McCardell and Caldwell? How about the fact that we could go three deep at tackle and still be pretty good on the line? When Washington goes down we can bring in a guy like Godfrey.

There is a lot to be frustrated about, but not the depth of this team.

Jason

You may be right... and your response re: the alternative trade possibilities with Rogers involved was a good thought. Either way, I think they could have done more with the 2005 draft and ended up with Campbell if they really wanted.

Almost guaranteed that Cleveland would have picked him in the second round if we didn't. They actually picked the next QB after us in that draft in the 3rd round.

Jason

Yeah, that was my main point in the other thread- Getting Campbell was good move (and the trade itself wasn't bad in terms of the value you get for picks), but some creative thinking would have gotten us in a much better position overall.

Actually, it is the good personnel moves that are keeping us competitive. Where would we be if we didn't have McCardell and Caldwell? How about the fact that we could go three deep at tackle and still be pretty good on the line? When Washington goes down we can bring in a guy like Godfrey.

There is a lot to be frustrated about, but not the depth of this team.

Jason

Good depth is the problem we have so much tied into starting positions that we have to pay bare minimum for the back ups

Almost guaranteed that Cleveland would have picked him in the second round if we didn't. They actually picked the next QB after us in that draft in the 3rd round.

Jason

Yeah, there was actually a lot of talk about them going for Campbell leading up the draft. And there was some talk about teams trying to move ahead of them for that reason.

Probably the most foolish part of that deal was that we made it so early. We really put ourselves in position to be burned by another team moving up ahead of us there. That's why you wait until you're sure the guy you want is there before you make a deal like that. Luckily, it didn't end up hurting us.

moving back to DC has NOTHING to do with why we are losing. Gibbs, Buges, Saunders can't make Portis and Moss and Campbell to stop fumbling like Old Tiki used to do. I think they need to start fining Moss and Portis for Fumbles after the catch/Hand off, I'm sick of seeing us lose like this.

who taught tiki how to hold the ball and not fumble?

Probably the most foolish part of that deal was that we made it so early. We really put ourselves in position to be burned by another team moving up ahead of us there. That's why you wait until you're sure the guy you want is there before you make a deal like that. Luckily, it didn't end up hurting us.

If we had waited, people would have complained about how much more it would have cost. Almost guaranteed had we waited, we would have had to have paid more.

Certainly, there was a risk, but in the end it was worth the risk.

Jason

A GM with a nose for talent would be a plus. That and wise use of draft choices could turn things around.

Probably more of the same in store for us fans though ie: Plenty of fumbles, stupidly thrown int's and wasted draft picks.

If we had waited, people would have complained about how much more it would have cost. Almost guaranteed had we waited, we would have had to have paid more.

Certainly, there was a risk, but in the end it was worth the risk.

Jason

Doubt it. Teams make those deals by the value chart, and we gave up good value by that and most teams are going to be real happy to make that deal since they are getting a future #1, which could turn into a premium pick. There is no reason to think it would have cost us more.

People seem to be mixed on blaming the coaching staff vs. the players for yet another mediocre season thus far. So I'm going to chime in... and blame the so-called "front office."

Feel free to agree, disagree, or add to this list from the past few years (these are in no particular order of stupidity):

1. 3rd round pick for TJ Duckett

2. 3rd and 4th round picks for Brandon Lloyd (then re-structure his contract before they meet the guy and realize he's a class-a jerk)

4. Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis

5. Pick your over-the-hill free agent: Jeff George, Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Dana Stubblefield, Mark Carrier, etc. etc. (credit is due for London Fletcher, however).

6. Pick your free agents left to go to other teams: Ryan Clark, Antonio Pierce, Derrick Dockery.

7. Letting Schottenheimer go after one 8-8 season (which began 0-5) because he was too "hands on" with personnel decisions.

I'll add more as I think of them. Moral of the story: HIRE A GM ALREADY!!!!

1) What do you expect, Portis had a boo boo and we needed a name player in the backfield. The draft is a crap shoot and we don't do anything with late round picks anyway so who cares what we gave up?

2) I still think lloyd has great potential and will be a cornerstone on this team for years to come. WAY too early to tell on that one!

3) Campbell is a poised, clutch, QB who simply has "it". I would have traded Lavar and the entire 06 draft for the kid.

4) Champ Bailey wanted out! When a player want's out, it is standard operating procedure to send Denver draft pick compensation. It's just the way business in the NFL is done. Anyway, Portis is the heart and soul of this team -- never mind the fact that he can't tuck his shirt in or run without falling down.

5) Point taken but you forgot about Griffen, Fauria, Patten, Washington, Springs, Kenny Wright, Mike Barrow and Trotter.

6) Walt Harris is going to be upset that you forgot him.

7) Don't you get it? Snyder want's to win with his guys and do it his way! Marty was WAY too obsessed with running a football team and that kind of narrow focus ha no place in a major media conglomerate. If he fell in line like Tom Cruise and the Six Flag guys, he might still be here. Not Snyder's fault he couldn't get with the program.

Anyway, who needs a GM? New England doesn't have one! Philly doesn't have one! What this tells you is the blueprint for success is a veteran obsessed coach, a de-emphasis on the draft and a VP of personnel who is allowed to operate with the "freedom" of escaping accountability.

I think the players in this team are great and Snyder deserves all the credit. The only reason they don't win games is simply bad luck and things are bound to turn around any season now.

1) What do you expect, Portis had a boo boo and we needed a name player in the backfield. The draft is a crap shoot and we don't do anything with late round picks anyway so who cares what we gave up? Well, we've found out that free agency is a crap shoot as well. But it costs more to play.

2) I still think lloyd has great potential and will be a cornerstone on this team for years to come. WAY too early to tell on that one! He has potential but it's unfulfilled. McCardell and Caldwell have less potential but more production. I would have liked for the Skins to have given Lloyd a shot. But, he's gone now.

3) Campbell is a poised, clutch, QB who simply has "it". I would have traded Lavar and the entire 06 draft for the kid. I really like Campbell - my only complaint is that the Skins traded away so many picks that they didn't have any to get him so they again had to trade away picks

4) Champ Bailey wanted out! When a player want's out, it is standard operating procedure to send Denver draft pick compensation. It's just the way business in the NFL is done. Anyway, Portis is the heart and soul of this team -- never mind the fact that he can't tuck his shirt in or run without falling down. [B]Your memory is not very good. Even though Bailey wanted out the Skins were offered first round picks for him. So Portis really cost a first round and second round pick. Not good value IMO[/b]

5) Point taken but you forgot about Griffen, Fauria, Patten, Washington, Springs, Kenny Wright, Mike Barrow and Trotter.

6) Walt Harris is going to be upset that you forgot him.

7) Don't you get it? Snyder want's to win with his guys and do it his way! Marty was WAY too obsessed with running a football team and that kind of narrow focus ha no place in a major media conglomerate. If he fell in line like Tom Cruise and the Six Flag guys, he might still be here. Not Snyder's fault he couldn't get with the program.

Anyway, who needs a GM? New England doesn't have one! Philly doesn't have one! What this tells you is the blueprint for success is a veteran obsessed coach, a de-emphasis on the draft and a VP of personnel who is allowed to operate with the "freedom" of escaping accountability.

I think the players in this team are great and Snyder deserves all the credit. The only reason they don't win games is simply bad luck and things are bound to turn around any season now. OK - sarcasm

I dont know if you guys remember Chris Clemons, but he was one of my fav. players when he was with the redskins...with us he had 3 sacks as a backup and served as a situational pass rusher, which we despretly need right now..he hurt his knee a year ago and instead of putting him on IR we plan out released him and the Raiders signed him. With the raiders he also serves as a situational pass rushing outside linebacker....

Stats:

16 tackles 6 sacks 2 FF

It's funny that the thread title is this

Worst decision by front office!

Yet the post starts with this.

I dont know if you guys remember Chris Clemons,

:laugh: He was a good one, too bad he got away but you know, it happens. I don't think he's a make or break player but what can you do.

Archived