Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Going for it on 4th Down

HateYanksDukeCowboys

Can't seem to find a thread dedicated to this topic, so here goes:

Winning teams go for it on 4th down. With regularity. I'm loathe to question the ongoing play-calling throughout a given game, b/c I trust the coaches have a strategy that fits within the entire scope of the game in terms of a run-pass ratio.

I am however, SICK AND TIRED of the critical game-changing calls being botched week in and week out. I'm not talking about 4th and 3 on the 50 here, but rather, the never-ending instances of NOT going for it on 4th and 1, or even less than 1 while in the opponent's territory.

We had a chance to really take a solid lead in the 1st half yesterday. Our offense was rolling down the field for their 2nd successful drive of the day, and we were already leading 7-0. Confronted with a 4th and less than 1 on the 33 yard line, the default, automatic decision by Gibbs was to kick a 50 yard FG, of which less than 50% are made. If you miss, which we did, the Boys get the ball on the 40, not the 33. If you go for it, and still miss, the Boys probably get it on the 33 or thereabouts.

But really, how many times do you see a QB fall down for a 1 yard gain on a QB sneak? Happens every week, throughout the league, but not RedskinsLand.

All we had to do is let our 6"5 230lb QB fall down, and we keep the Cowboys on their heels and gasping for breath. Later in the game, in the 4th Quarter, with a 4th and 1, we made the same decision and settled for the three.

At some point in time, we're gonna have to start going for it on 4th down and upgrade our Field Goal membership to a Touchdown membership. Winning teams go for it on 4th down and score Touchdowns.

I agree 100%. My brother and I couldn't stop screaming at the TV during that game. Twice, they decided to kick it on 4th and 1, even though the offense so well. On the drive that they decided to kick a 50-yarder IN DALLAS after Campbell took from the 4-yard line....wow...just wow. I didn't even know what to say when I saw the FG unit come on to the field.

If Suisham makes the damn kick this isn't even up for debate, quit being so damn irrational.

I'd still debate it, b/c that would only encourage Gibbs to make the same call over and over again (which he did again in the 4th quarter). Statistically, the odds are that 50 yard FG's are missed more often than they are made. the RATIONAL thing to do would have been to go for it.

Can't seem to find a thread dedicated to this topic, so here goes:

Winning teams go for it on 4th down. With regularity. I'm loathe to question the ongoing play-calling throughout a given game, b/c I trust the coaches have a strategy that fits within the entire scope of the game in terms of a run-pass ratio.

I am however, SICK AND TIRED of the critical game-changing calls being botched week in and week out. I'm not talking about 4th and 3 on the 50 here, but rather, the never-ending instances of NOT going for it on 4th and 1, or even less than 1 while in the opponent's territory.

We had a chance to really take a solid lead in the 1st half yesterday. Our offense was rolling down the field for their 2nd successful drive of the day, and we were already leading 7-0. Confronted with a 4th and less than 1 on the 33 yard line, the default, automatic decision by Gibbs was to kick a 50 yard FG, of which less than 50% are made. If you miss, which we did, the Boys get the ball on the 40, not the 33. If you go for it, and still miss, the Boys probably get it on the 33 or thereabouts.

But really, how many times do you see a QB fall down for a 1 yard gain on a QB sneak? Happens every week, throughout the league, but not RedskinsLand.

All we had to do is let our 6"5 230lb QB fall down, and we keep the Cowboys on their heels and gasping for breath. Later in the game, in the 4th Quarter, with a 4th and 1, we made the same decision and settled for the three.

At some point in time, we're gonna have to start going for it on 4th down and upgrade our Field Goal membership to a Touchdown membership. Winning teams go for it on 4th down and score Touchdowns.

miami always goes for it on 4th down. :rolleyes:

It doesn't take a genius to come on a message board after the fact and criticize the calls the didn't work in our favor. If JC throws to Moss for the last TD we got and Moss bobbles it, we'd have three-five threads on how Cooley/ARE/Sellers/Portis was open and Gibbs/Saunders need to rethink their playcalling or get fired. Say we sneak, JC fumbles the snap and the ball goes the other way for 6. Are you the first one on here saying we should have just tried the field goal because Suisham's pretty good and even if we miss, the Boys still have to work their way down the field to get points?

I think the two instances were completely different.

In general, I agree with you that we should be more aggressive. The decision in the first half was inexcusable. We had them on their heels and we were dominating. Keep in mind, we started that drive from inside our 10 so we had marched 60+ yards already. You don't do that and then settle for a 50/50 chance at 3 points. We could have really changed the complexion of that game if we had converted on 4th down and either held the ball longer before MAKING a shorter FG or even possibly scored a TD.

In the second half, I didn't HATE the FG decision just because it protected us in case Dallas kicked a FG. It didn't end up working out (and if it were me, I'd have gone for it) but I can see both sides of the coin in that situation (plus it was a more makable FG).

I agree with this. Although I feel good about the way we played yesterday, the 50-yard FG attempt on 4th and 1 was kinda baffling to me. We had Dallas' defense on their heels, and I'm quite sure we would have picked up the first. But even if they stop us, Dallas doesn't get the benefit of the bonus field position they got when we missed the FG.

If anybody denies screaming "Go for it" on 4th and 1 in the second quarter their nose is growing. I was pissed when I saw the FG unit come on the field. At home I can see kicking the FG. On the road in a hostile environment and you are moving the ball against that defense you have to to keep the chains moving IMO. Show the offense you trust them. That's how you develop a "killer instinct."

It doesn't take a genius to come on a message board after the fact and criticize the calls the didn't work in our favor. If JC throws to Moss for the last TD we got and Moss bobbles it, we'd have three-five threads on how Cooley/ARE/Sellers/Portis was open and Gibbs/Saunders need to rethink their playcalling or get fired. Say we sneak, JC fumbles the snap and the ball goes the other way for 6. Are you the first one on here saying we should have just tried the field goal because Suisham's pretty good and even if we miss, the Boys still have to work their way down the field to get points?

I've waited 3 and a half seasons before starting this thread. My penchant to start this topic is hardly a short-sighted view after one game. Your "what if we fumble and they take it for 6" view is a loser's point. Its ultra-conservative, and its playing not to lose (We all know that works just like the prevent defense).

Show me a statistical chart that says QB's fumble on QB sneaks as often as they get the first down. Can't find that chart can you? Show me one where they fumble 10% of the time. Can't find that one either huh?

I didn't like the call at the time..but the Skins had a chance to win in the end so it was the right call.....Stupid thread.

Maybe instead of having a chance to win at the end they would have actually been winning by going for it on 4th and 1.

Calling this a stupid thread makes you look, well, you know.

There are many other posters on here who seem to agree, which would seem to indicate its not a stupid thread, but that's just my opinion.

Gibbs II Report Card:

Motivation/Team Character: A

Gameplanning: B+

In-Game Decision making: F

It's not JUST the 4th down calls, it's HOW we wind up with them. At 21-13, we had 2nd and 1 from their 20 and wound up kicking a FG. That's not good.

The 2nd down play was especially stupid. I can understand if you want to catch the defense napping and go for broke there. I am FINE with that. But we threw a two yard out to Caldwell that fell incomplete. So, if all you are trying to do in that situation is get their first down, why not run the ball? The out pattern to Caldwell is a MUCH lower percentage play. Just dumb.

And the FG attempt at 7-0 was an HORRIBLE decision. That was a legit 50 yarder, which is basically a 50/50 shot for most NFL kickers. We had Dallas on the ropes early and the crowd was kind of out of it. And it was LESS than a yard to go by the way. Just an overly conservative call in a game where I didn't think we could be overly conservative.

The team played with energy, fire, passion, and confidence. Credit Joe Gibbs.

The team had a very nice gameplan-- even defensively, I like what we did (TO is simply a beast and w/o Taylor things were tough). Credit Joe Gibbs.

We made some very conservative/stupid calls during the game. Fault Joe Gibbs.

I agree I didn't see the entire game due to a fellowship dinner at my mother's church, but that failure to go for it on 4th and inches. I'm sorry, GIbbs needs to do us a favor and step down at the end of the year, he just doesn't have the guts necessary to do more than fight not to lose anymore. And I can't believe I am saying this cause I love Joe Gibbs, but that call was bad.

Did anyone else see Saunders go nuts in the box when Gibbs called that play? Man, I thought he was going to have a coronary right there.
I saw that clip. BUt I don't think it was Saunders. It was teh bearded guy next to him. Guy was freaking out like a German kid playing video games when Suisham missed. :laugh:

This tells me you don't know your history.

texas stadium has been a kicker friendly place. Games are close, and many times the skins win on FG's.

Normally, I agree that on 4th and 1 from the 40 or closer, we need to probably go for it (In fact, 4th and 3 from the 40 should be going for it. The risk is only 20 yards.)

However -Yesterday, the call was right. There have been many Redskins cowboy games where the skins won by making 4 of 5 FG's.

In fact -If he make that kick, skins win yesterday by kicking a easy FG at the end.

I saw that clip. BUt I don't think it was Saunders. It was teh bearded guy next to him. Guy was freaking out like a German kid playing video games when Suisham missed. :laugh:

I stepped out of the room for a moment, but I came in just in time to see that happen. I was wondering who that was and why he was flipping out like that. :laugh:

Archived