Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So Shanahan is a Genius?

bulldog

John Elway made Mike Shanahan look like a genius, plain and simple. But since John's retirement in 1999, the Broncos have won ONE playoff game.

That's 8 years and counting in Denver.

All those moves for running backs, defensive linemen in free agency and the deals to get Bailey and Bly to form the 'unbeatable' tandem at corner has resulted in the Broncos being no better than the Raiders, a 3-5 team that is struggling to find an identity.

Shanahan, though, seems to be getting further away from that elusive Super Bowl.

Poor draft picks spent on Ashley Lelie, Tatum Bell, Maurice Clarett, and others have left Denver without any depth.

Javon Walker was their entire offense and now he is out.

Good point Bulldog. Maybe Shanahan isn't a genius, but I'll give him props for fielding a team that at lesat has been a fairly consistent winner, something very few teams have been able to do in the salary cap era. From '03-'05 in the playoffs they had to play an Indy team twice that is very tough to beat in the dome, and then a Pitt team that was on a serious roll. Probably should've beaten Pitt, but could anyone on this planet say the sentence "Jake Plummer in the Super Bowl" with a straight face? :D

John Elway made Mike Shanahan look like a genius, plain and simple. But since John's retirement in 1999, the Broncos have won ONE playoff game.

That's 8 years and counting in Denver.

All those moves for running backs, defensive linemen in free agency and the deals to get Bailey and Bly to form the 'unbeatable' tandem at corner has resulted in the Broncos being no better than the Raiders, a 3-5 team that is struggling to find an identity.

Shanahan, though, seems to be getting further away from that elusive Super Bowl.

Poor draft picks spent on Ashley Lelie, Tatum Bell, Maurice Clarett, and others have left Denver without any depth.

Javon Walker was their entire offense and now he is out.

He's a very good coach, but his GM duties should be stripped-in the short team, building a D by picking up other teams' leftovers actually worked well, but it's all crumbling apart now.

Didn't Shanahan make the brilliant move to replace Jake Plummer with Jay Cutler when Plummer had led them to a winning record and possible playoff birth? Cutler stunk for the remainder of the season I think and kept them out of the playoffs.

Cutler was the first rookie in NFL history to throw for multiple touchdowns in every game he started. He also had a 88.5 passer rating. He did go 2-3 in the games he started, but that was more of a product of a dropoff in defensive play than in his own ability.

Plummer, on the other hand, had a passer rating of 68.8. The team was 7-4, but it definitely was not because of him. Likewise, the fact that they lost 3 of the next 5 was not on Cutler.

So to make a long story short, I don't get your logic or why you think Cutler stunk it up.

Cutler was the first rookie in NFL history to throw for multiple touchdowns in every game he started. He also had a 88.5 passer rating. He did go 2-3 in the games he started, but that was more of a product of a dropoff in defensive play than in his own ability.

Plummer, on the other hand, had a passer rating of 68.8. The team was 7-4, but it definitely was not because of him. Likewise, the fact that they lost 3 of the next 5 was not on Cutler.

So to make a long story short, I don't get your logic or why you think Cutler stunk it up.

It just seemed like a bizarre move to make in the middle of a decent season. Why disrupt your team's chemistry when you're fighting for a playoff spot? It's not that I'm questioning Cutler's ability, but rather Shanahan's judgement with regard to his QBs. It just seemed like the wrong signal to send to your team.

It just seemed like a bizarre move to make in the middle of a decent season. Why disrupt your team's chemistry when you're fighting for a playoff spot? It's not that I'm questioning Cutler's ability, but rather Shanahan's judgement with regard to his QBs. It just seemed like the wrong signal to send to your team.

I agree. They were 7-4. Why bench your vet QB to insert a RAW rookie?

I agree. They were 7-4. Why bench your vet QB to insert a RAW rookie?

Plummer was stinking up the joint.

He was a Pro Bowler in '05 b/c he had the OL and TWO 1000 yard backs-but his true colors came out in that AFC Championship game against Pitt.

He played only OK for the 1st half of last year, until then went in a runt-Denver made the right choice in going with their long-term future.

The Broncos have MANY problems, which is why they're not any good this year.

Shanahan has always been overrated and the Broncos should be the organization that people laugh at regarding overspending on players year in and year out in a vain attempt to win the Super Bowl only to come up short every single year. Not the Redskins.

Still, the one good thing I'll say about Shanahan is that he has at least built some productive offenses post Elway. The other "genius in his own mind", Brian Billick, can't even do that.

Denver is the poster child for player bad player personnel moves from drafting to FA acquisitions. The "Ultimate Leader":

1. Never replaced Elway

2. Has a good, but not great Oline

3. No great RB

4. Defense is just ok.

Shanahan as a GM has failed.

Shanahan as a coach is just stuck with average players.

Bellicheat has a HOF QB to win him games and a good FO and GM to get him players. I would like to know how much influence Bellicheat has in brining in players and drafting them. BB is a good coach that gets to coach great players. Insert Shanahan as a coach only in NE and he wins as well.

Makes you wonder about Brady and Belicheat, eh?

Don't wonder about it at all.

Belichick and Shanahan are the billboards for how great players make for great coaches. They are both excellent coaches, but so are 98% of the coaches in the NFL. Their records without the presence of historic players in their lineups speak for themselves. They struggle just as most coaches do.

Seriously, I'm increasingly amazed what Gibbs was able to do in his first go-around. 3 rings with 3 different QBs and 3 different RBs. He has coached in the playoffs with 5 different QBs and reached conference championships games with 4 different ones. None of which will be in the HoF. The only one close to this record has to be Parcells.

I'll say it again, if Gibbs had of been fortunate enough to get a Brady or Elway, the Super Bowl trophy would have been renamed the Lombardi-Gibbs Trophy.

When you've won the Super Bowl twice in a city that had never won it before, I don't think that's half bad. Terrell Davis wasn't on anyone's radar. He was a backup RB behind Garrison Hearst I believe at Georgia.

It was strange to take Plummer out last year, but the man shouldn't be slammed for having high standards. Apparently just making the playoffs again and losing with Plummer again wasn't his idea of fun.

if people want to call him a genius, let them. He has won 2 super bowls and that's more than 99% of NFL coaches can say. (who is calling him a genius anyway??)

The 'genius' label that people should take exception to is Eric Mangini (Mangenius??) What a f'n joke!! Stumbles his way into a decent record his first year and is all of a sudden a genius? How's that working out for the Jets now? 1-8? LMFAO.

Archived