Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So Shanahan is a Genius?

bulldog

Elway did NOT make Shanahan look like a genius. No sir......

Terrell Davis did.

What people forget (and why I never thought much at all of Shanny) is that after Dan Reeves got the boot and Shanahan replaced him, the Broncos never won another playoff game even with Elway UNTIL Terrell Davis made his big splash on the team.

So to sum up, Reeves could get Elway to the Superbowl with less talent, but it wasn't until he landed a 2000 yard rusher that Shanahan could even win a playoff game DESPITE having Elway.

'Genius' may be an overstatement - but look at all those years the Broncos couldn't win the big one with Dan Reeves. IF it was all Elway, why the heck did it take him so long?

watching Elway all those years, I really saw him mature, for lack of a better word. Elway was always good, but when he got older he was great. He also benefited from having a better team around him in the late '90's, especially Terrell Davis.

Miami has experienced the same type of thing since Marino's retirement.

As much as I dislike the Broncos, I actually respect Shanahan because he's managed to field a playoff caliber team with the likes of Tatum Bell and Jake Plummer running his offense. But I seriously questioned how that team would fare when they let go Al Wilson and decided to bench Plummer in favor of Cutler. I like Cutler personally, he seems like a good guy, but I don't see anything special about him honestly. He reminds me of a more mobile Ramsey.

Shanahan has gotten by without many nor major injuries for a long time. This year has caught up with that and all they donx and fans do is cry "why ME". Well, now they know what it's like and it stinks. The denver media has always made fun of the "worser" teams in the league, and now it's thier turn. I have no pity on them or shanny. Every year all I read is how they are going to win the SB. It gets old and I love seeing them lose.

Elway did NOT make Shanahan look like a genius. No sir......

Terrell Davis did.

What people forget (and why I never thought much at all of Shanny) is that after Dan Reeves got the boot and Shanahan replaced him, the Broncos never won another playoff game even with Elway UNTIL Terrell Davis made his big splash on the team.

And we have a winner.

Without TD, Elway would of never made it back to the Super Bowl. ALL those Bronco teams that made it before Davis, were beat like a drum. With TD, you seen the team win the big one twice. I think the "Ultimate Leader" is looking for his "TD".

He had his new TD. his name was CP

Clinton Portis. Thinks he ever regrets trading him now?

Gotta agree with you there man, Portis is the best running back Shanahan has had since TD. Portis absolutely THRIVED in the zone blocking scheme. If we go back in time and the Bailey/Portis trade never happens, I honestly believe Portis would be considered the best running back in the game, second MAYBE to LT. The numbers he put up in the Denver system was unreal, and even though the system has alot to do with it, as shown by guys like Tatum Bell and Travis Henry, alot of it has to do with the player as well.

Gotta agree with you there man, Portis is the best running back Shanahan has had since TD. Portis absolutely THRIVED in the zone blocking scheme. If we go back in time and the Bailey/Portis trade never happens, I honestly believe Portis would be considered the best running back in the game, second MAYBE to LT. The numbers he put up in the Denver system was unreal, and even though the system has alot to do with it, as shown by guys like Tatum Bell and Travis Henry, alot of it has to do with the player as well.

yup. a 5.5 avg his first two years.

1500 yards his first two years. He would have put up more in his second, but he missed 2 games

Shanahan is one of those coaches that did great awhile ago and is only still the coach because of that success, after this year i see the broncs getting rid of him...

Frankly-it would probably be best if the coach ISN'T the GM. Even though they won't admit it, having to coach a team AND buy the groceries can be too much of a distraction as well.

Coughlin's demise in Jax wasn't b/c he was a bad coach, it was mostly his personnel moves as GM. In NY, he has a very good GM(Jerry Reese) looking over his shoulder.:2cents:

Archived