Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell just not getting it done (Mega-merged)

FanSinceSonnyJ

Do you actually read or are you having fun looking like an idiot.

I'll use small words for you....

He had plenty of time because we did max protect. Do I agree with it...no...was it necessary to give him time to throw yes. so what brilliant logic are you speaking of Einstein?

Like I said, thanks for giving me a heads up to ignore your worthless commentary. Actually, you seem to have the market cornered around here in the "looking like an idiot" department. :laugh:

Hard to be impressed with someone who never starts his own posts, but finds great sport in criticizing the posts of others. One would think after the 1000's of posts it looks like you have made around here, you'd have something that would be worth reading. Apparantly not. Regrettable.

Great response. I agree wholeheartedly. I suspect that Campbell can't seem to grasp reading the field and coverages. Maybe it will eventually come, but he certainly has not shown that he is picking it up as of yet.

Did you not read what the poster said who went to the game?

HE HAD NO OPEN RECEIVERS!!!

I only saw once where he had an open target he didn't throw to...and I'm glad he didn't, because I'm kinda getting sick of the dump off to Sellers for a yard gain.

Like I said, thanks for giving me a heads up to ignore your worthless commentary. Actually, you seem to have the market cornered around here in the "looking like an idiot" department. :laugh:

Hard to be impressed with someone who never starts his own posts, but finds great sport in criticizing the posts of others. One would think after the 1000's of posts it looks like you have made around here, you'd have something that would be worth reading. Apparantly not. Regrettable.

I don't start my own threads, because theres no need to start one unless it's a new topic..and in case you haven't noticed Mr.Wizard it's almost impossible to do that since there are so many people on the pulse of the skins news...

anywayss if you got issues which obviously you do..lets bring it to PM there chief instead of trying to inflat your post count to match your ignorance

I find it interesting that opposing players and fans say that we have a good young quarterback but its actually the skins fans that rip campbell.

I can understand it though, we havent lived through a young quarterback developing in over twenty years and dont know any better.

So in all fairness to JC how easy would it be for you to hand off all the time and then once in a blue moon you are able to throw the long ball and not be off? I mean if you are anymore accurate than JC please let Gibbs and all know this so you can hit the bombs all the time. Then we will see how you get it done. :2cents:

I would think with the emphasis on the running game, Campbell would be getting plenty of shots with the medium to long pass. Instead he is checking down to Cooley or missing the deep pass. I don't expect him to complete all long balls, but I certainly don't expect him to miss all of them either.

I think he doesn't read the field well and plays it too safe. This on top of a slow release and inaccuracy is a big part of our passing woes.

I compared JC's 2007 (first year starting) vs P. Manning 1998 (first year starting) stats, and they are fairly close. I am not saying that JC is PM, but his stats are pretty good comparing the two.

It was a rough visual comparison guys, I did not break out the statistical calculator. And yea, I know it was Peytons first year, vs JC's 3rd, but JC's first was on the bench, and last year was a half a year. I wanted to see where he landed just by comparing their first years out (I started with Brady, but then took a step down). Romo sits to pee also did better his first year out, but then he was on the bench for 3 years. Too many factors to calculate, when trying to even the table.

I think with a healthy line, a few mods and/or more time with the wr corps, and some strong play calling JC will pan out fine. But who will lead those changes with JG down to his last few years?

It all starts at the top, and on the lines....

I don't start my own threads, because theres no need to start one unless it's a new topic..and in case you haven't noticed Mr.Wizard it's almost impossible to do that since there are so many people on the pulse of the skins news...

anywayss if you got issues which obviously you do..lets bring it to PM there chief instead of trying to inflat your post count to match your ignorance

No issues here Ace, just can't stand rudeness. Did you forget that you started this little charade with your "useless post" commentary?

Oh and sorry, not interested in playing childish games in a PM section with you. Perhaps one of your middle school buddies will accomodate you in this area. :silly:

The QB can only work with so much when the playcalling is sub-par.

I think Jason has slowed in his progress because they aren't calling plays for medium and deep passes enough. 1 or 2 a game isn't going to help him develop.

Right now the thing that's slowing Jason down, is our coaching staff.

The issue isn't playcalling. The issues is not have talent at WR. (err enough talent) Santana Moss is a good #2 receiver. He is in no way shape or form a valid #1. He NEEDS a valid #1 to be effective. He needs another WR that forces a defense to roll coverage away from Moss and allow him to win 1-on-1 battles with his speed because he isn't winning many when he has a safety over the top. My opinion. Cut Brandon Lloyd after this season and demote Randel El back to a #3 WR. Draft Malcolm Kelly out of OU. Don't sign a WR in free agency because to get one good enough will be costly and well, the Skins are in Salary cap hell.

As for Cambell, he can be a good game manager at best. He isn't a playmaker. You could also attempt to land a play maker QB (hard to do), but that wouldn't help the lack of talent at WR just making it harder on the new QB.

As I said, dump Lloyd, demote Randel El, and draft Malcolm Kelly before the Cowboys do. ;)

Sorry guys, I can't get too excited over a win over arguably the worst AFC team. The fact that we once again let a lowly opponent take us into OT is alarming to say the least.

More concerning is the play of Jason Campbell. He has had 1 good game this season. The Jets' D is one of the worst in the league yet his passing numbers were once again mediocre. Another off target long pass and few if any medium pass completions. Those who love Jason can't blame the O line this week. Jason Campbell is a first round pick. Yes it takes time to develop a QB, but it would be nice to see some sort of signs of improvement. To date, we have not. The Jets QB, Clemens, playing for only his 2nd start outplayed Jason. Let's hope Campbell starts earning his money as I'd hate to waste 2-3 years as him as a starter and once again start from scratch.

Anyway, it's great to be 5-3, even if we're an ugly 5-3!

Pretty much agree but I am willing to give him the full year before I admit he is not improving. He still has weak receivers and a weak OL. I watched Moss from the Pats catch everything that was not even close to him yesterday and JC does not have that. Do any of you guys think we should have drafted a QB in the first round last year?

No issues here Ace, just can't stand rudeness. Did you forget that you started this little charade with your "useless post" commentary?

Oh and sorry, not interested in playing childish games in a PM section with you. Perhaps one of your middle school buddies will accomodate you in this area. :silly:

you truely are pathetic, and I hope you fall victim to the others who start endless threads about the same topic ;)

childish games? thats funny

The issue isn't playcalling. The issues is not have talent at WR. (err enough talent) Santana Moss is a good #2 receiver. He is in no way shape or form a valid #1. He NEEDS a valid #1 to be effective. He needs another WR that forces a defense to roll coverage away from Moss and allow him to win 1-on-1 battles with his speed because he isn't winning many when he has a safety over the top. My opinion. Cut Brandon Lloyd after this season and demote Randel El back to a #3 WR. Draft Malcolm Kelly out of OU. Don't sign a WR in free agency because to get one good enough will be costly and well, the Skins are in Salary cap hell.

As for Cambell, he can be a good game manager at best. He isn't a playmaker. You could also attempt to land a play maker QB (hard to do), but that wouldn't help the lack of talent at WR just making it harder on the new QB.

As I said, dump Lloyd, demote Randel El, and draft Malcolm Kelly before the Cowboys do. ;)

Good post. I do agree that we we need a valid #1 WR and that Jason Campbell is showing that he is a medium game manager type QB at best.

I have been giving Campbell the benefit of the doubt so far. But, I have seen enough. I don't think he is fit to be a starter in the NFL. He doesn't have the accuracy and touch that a NFL QB needs to succeed on a weekly basis. He throws high or behind wide open WRs. Maybe this is why the offensive coaches seem to be holding JC back, because he throws too many wild throws.

Nothing should be done until the offseason. But we need to find two QBs in the offseason. One veteren QB to start next season. And draft one to be the franchise QB.

And I agree Clemons played well for the Jets in his first start. If his receivers didn't keep dropping the ball, they would have won.

I find it interesting that opposing players and fans say that we have a good young quarterback but its actually the skins fans that rip campbell.

I can understand it though, we havent lived through a young quarterback developing in over twenty years and dont know any better.

Haven't heard too many accolades about Campbell ever since the Lions' game.

I've been following this team for about 40 years now. From what we've seen so far, Campbell seems to be on par with Banks, Jay Schroeder at this point. Hopefully, he will finally start showing signs of improving and will start to read the field quicker, release the ball sooner, and throw with more accuracy.

Just for the record, Jason Campbell is not supposed to be good this year. IMO, we are already overachieving (even though we have looked like crap, we have been winning).

I expected a learning year for Jason. Anyone here who is already getting down on Campbell needs to chill out. We don't need to run every qb out of town after 15 games.

AMEN

Its funny how we complain about not developing our own players and using free agency too much. Yet we have people wanting to go after Derek Anderson and get rid of Jason already after his 15th start.....Very interesting.

:eaglesuck

I hope nobody gets mad at me, but I will have to agree with the original poster. For those of you who know me, you know I'm an avid Mark Brunell supporter, and in no way am I saying that Brunell should replace JC at this point, but if you think about it realistically, our QB situation at this point is no different than last year at this time. The redskins are sticking to the short passing game just like they did when Brunell was the starter. But, Brunell had a higher QB rating, more TD passes, and more yardage when he was benched at this point last year, than what Campbell has statistically right now.

If the skins miss the playoffs this year, then I want to see the team bring in another quarterback next year to maybe challenge JC for the starting job next year. Do you think Brunell will still be a Redskin next year? We could have him as a backup and have JC battle whoever the new QB is for the starting job.

I was at the game yesterday, and I watched the downfield passing game closely--there is no downfield passing game. Campbell looks downfield, but literally has no one to throw to. We max protect on almost every passing down, and all of our routes beyond 10 yards are well covered. I think he does pretty well given how this offense is called and designed.

Thank you.

When you only run 1 or 2 wide receivers at a time.....it's pretty easy to double cover them and put a man on cooley and a man spy on portis/betts.

if the oline is weak (which it has been) then teams don't need to stack and can defend the long bomb.

Faulting Campbell for not being proficient in the intermediate game is like saying Curt Schilling would never be any good when he played for the Orioles early in his career. You just never know how it will shake out, but just like a pitcher "learns" how to pitch effectively in the big leagues, a qb can be afforded a similar learning curve to learn how to throw effectively, within a scheme, with undersized receivers, with a banged up backup o-line........u guys are too demanding. The NFL isn't easy....and for you to act like these guys should be moved based on what Tom Brady or Peyton Manning does....is ludicrous.

I compared JC's 2007 (first year starting) vs P. Manning 1998 (first year starting) stats, and they are fairly close. I am not saying that JC is PM, but his stats are pretty good comparing the two.

It was a rough visual comparison guys, I did not break out the statistical calculator. And yea, I know it was Peytons first year, vs JC's 3d, but JC's first was on the bench, and last year was a half a year. I wanted to see where he landed just by comparing their first years out (I started with Brady, but then took a step down). Romo sits to pee also did better his first year out, but then he was on the bench for 3 years. Too many factors to calculate, when trying to even the table.

I think with a healthy line, a few mods and/or more time with the wr corps, and some strong play calling JC will pan out fine. But who will lead those changes with JG down to his last few years?

It all starts at the top, and on the lines....

Huge difference between starting your 1st vs 3rd year. Lets say JC never played in a single game. JC still got plenty of time to get use to NFL game style and playing against top 10 NFL D during practice. Add in the fact that JC played in 7 games previously after sitting for a year, comparison is nil.

Sorry, but good QB make the entire team better. What we have is a QB that needs the entire team to make him better. What does that say?

Huge difference between starting your 1st vs 3rd year. Lets say JC never played in a single game. JC still got plenty of time to get use to NFL game style and playing against top 10 NFL D during practice. Add in the fact that JC played in 7 games previously after sitting for a year, comparison is nil.

Sorry, but good QB make the entire team better. What we have is a QB that needs the entire team to make him better. What does that say?

That one man can not make a team better if he does not have play makers around him. :doh:

Archived