Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell just not getting it done (Mega-merged)

FanSinceSonnyJ

I was at the game yesterday, and I watched the downfield passing game closely--there is no downfield passing game. Campbell looks downfield, but literally has no one to throw to. We max protect on almost every passing down, and all of our routes beyond 10 yards are well covered. I think he does pretty well given how this offense is called and designed.

Shhhh you're going to confuse the OP with logic, facts and what is actually happening...

we max protect due to an anemic (for you OP that means thin) O-line.

Well...it worked yesterday and every team will have a different gameplan. JC is fine and I a not sure he trusts his OL yet. He needs more opportunities out of the shotgun. He looks like he sees the field much better from the gun.

He does b/c that's all he played in College. He was a Shotgun QB in college and now when we try to puthim under center to make plays, it's more difficult to him. The coaches simply aren't coaching him to his strengths. We need to run more shotgun pass plays, and if he's gonna be under center to pass, it should be a PA pass. That is what he is good at. He's not a 5 step drop type qb. I wish the coaches realized that.

Yes another useless thread...go put your "sky is falling" thoughts on Campbell in the other Campbell hating thread. And seeing as I don't really start threads good luck with that. In all my time here I think I have started maybe 15. The only one I keep bumping is for the Upstate NY people.

edit: oh yeah and when did I say I agree with you...personally I think you watched the game with your eyes closed

Oh I see, you don't really want (or do not have) your own opinions, so you find it more entertaining to slam the opinions of others. Right? Thanks for giving me a heads up to ignore your worthless commentary going forward. :D

The QB can only work with so much when the playcalling is sub-par.

I think Jason has slowed in his progress because they aren't calling plays for medium and deep passes enough. 1 or 2 a game isn't going to help him develop.

Right now the thing that's slowing Jason down, is our coaching staff.

+1

Its obvious that we are regressing on O.

wow...what is the point of coming on this message board...this entire thread, aside from bufford, is a waste of internet space.

The skins dont give campbell the opportunity to get in a rythym...he misses deep balls because he throws one every 4 games...

let him get more pass attempts and he will grow...until then, quit whining.

wow...what is the point of coming on this message board...this entire thread, aside from bufford, is a waste of internet space.

The skins dont give campbell the opportunity to get in a rythym...he misses deep balls because he throws one every 4 games...

let him get more pass attempts and he will grow...until then, quit whining.

totally agree. If he was allowed to throw more deep passes per game, he would def. be more accurate. Moss was open on that pass bt hat was the FIRST TIME Campbell was allowed to go deep ALL GAME. Of course it's gonna be harder for him to complete it. The coaches aren't helping him by locking him down every game. Let the kid play.

Sorry guys, I can't get too excited over a win over arguably the worst AFC team. The fact that we once again let a lowly opponent take us into OT is alarming to say the least.

More concerning is the play of Jason Campbell. He has had 1 good game this season. The Jets' D is one of the worst in the league yet his passing numbers were once again mediocre. Another off target long pass and few if any medium pass completions. Those who love Jason can't blame the O line this week. Jason Campbell is a first round pick. Yes it takes time to develop a QB, but it would be nice to see some sort of signs of improvement. To date, we have not. The Jets QB, Clemens, playing for only his 2nd start outplayed Jason. Let's hope Campbell starts earning his money as I'd hate to waste 2-3 years as him as a starter and once again start from scratch.

Anyway, it's great to be 5-3, even if we're an ugly 5-3!

First off, we beat the worst AFC team in Week 1 in overtime... hahahaha. Second of all: did you see JC avoid two sacks and throw against his body to Moss on the sideline? It was ruled out of bounds... but damn, that was what we need on this team. He is only going to get better. Have a little faith in a young guy. Manning didn't get rolling until a couple seasons in either. JC has "Gotten it Done" in at least five games this season.

You're right. We should put Collins in immediately.

Better yet, what's Danny Wuerful doing? Tony Banks?

Instead of planning for Derek Anderson in 2009, let's trade our 1st round picks the next three years to move up and draft Colt Brennan.

After that, my nephew is dominating his Pop Warner league's 80-pound division. They run the T-formation but I think he'll develop a solid arm. Plan on drafting him in 2019.

Or we should do what you seem to be advocating and stick our head in the sand while we wave pom poms. :laugh:

Look, for whatever reason, the guy has shown little sign of improvement since starting. It seems he takes a long time to release the ball, his accuracy is suspect, and he has tunnel vision on the check down passes.

I dont know if its the play calling or if Campbell is just not as acurate as we had hoped for, but can anyone tell me why we dont role Campbell out to perhaps allow him to see more of the field and perhaps utilize his mobility? It seems such a no brainer.

I think JC is being set up for failure by the play calling of our coaching staff. He rarely has the chance to get into a rhythm or to throw the ball more than 7 yds. Of course there is the one time per game that he does get to air one out and when that doesn't work we go back to running up the middle and WR screens. Our play calling is predictable and doesn't give us a chance to use our strengths. Cooley started out hot in the Jets game then we went away from him. Something needs to change and I don't think its JC.

Campbell seems to be suffering from a lack of confidence right now. I don't know if it's in his receivers, OL, coaching staff, offense in general, or himself. Probably a combination of all the above. What I can tell you is that he is the #1 problem in the passing game right now (as the QB usually is).

He is suffering from Holdingtheballitis right now, one of the most insidious diseases that can befall a QB. It's been known to derail some promising careers. It directly led to all 3 of his fumbles last week, and his pick yesterday. Its probably taken away from several would-be completions - that long one to Thrash would have been a TD if he had thrown it a beat sooner.

There may be a variety of reasons for the passing game funk that the team is currently experiencing, but until Campbell starts trusting what he's seeing and gets rid of the ball, it will continue to struggle. He's looking like McNabb out there - it almost seems like he wants to see his receiver open by 5 yards or more before he's comfortable throwing it. Sometimes you have to trust that it's going to break open and your guy will get the ball. He looked like he was coming around at the start of the second half and hit some nice throws over the middle, but he regressed after that pick. He could have used that deep one to Moss, if for nothing else but his confidence.

Oh I see, you don't really want (or do not have) your own opinions, so you find it more entertaining to slam the opinions of others. Right? Thanks for giving me a heads up to ignore your worthless commentary going forward. :D

lol yippeee...somone copy it for him :)

I didn't say not to have your own opinions, but why start a completely new thread on a topic that already has 3?

are you an...attention whore? :laugh:

The QB can only work with so much when the playcalling is sub-par.

I don't think its the coaches...you have Gibbs and Saunders with years of offensive experience. Its either the recievers not getting open, or Campbell not seeing the field or reading coverages. And if it is conservative play calling, then it is damn sure for a reason.

This "back to the basics" bull**** is annoying and outdated. Sure, we were able to run all over the Jets. But will this really work against teams like the Giants, Cowboys, and Bucs, which are excellent at stopping the run?

Campbell needs more opportunities to pass the ball. He needs his best weapons out there like McCardell or even Caldwell instead of James Thrash. They need to get Cooley out there as a receiver at least 80% of the time. If you need a TE as a blocker, bring in Alexander, Pucillo, DeMulling, or Yoder as tackle-eligible. I get a feeling they don't work on the long bomb enough in practice either.

Shhhh you're going to confuse the OP with logic, facts and what is actually happening...

we max protect due to an anemic (for you OP that means thin) O-line.

Well using your "brilliant" logic, we might as well take the WR's out of the game altogether and stick a few more offensive linemen in there to ensure Campbell gets all the time he needs. :laugh:

Campbell had plenty of time yesterday, so you can skip the OL woes excuse.

the only thing i have to say is the Jets are a much better team with the rookie in there instead of Chad.

Sorry guys, I can't get too excited over a win over arguably the worst AFC team. The fact that we once again let a lowly opponent take us into OT is alarming to say the least.

More concerning is the play of Jason Campbell. He has had 1 good game this season. The Jets' D is one of the worst in the league yet his passing numbers were once again mediocre. Another off target long pass and few if any medium pass completions. Those who love Jason can't blame the O line this week. Jason Campbell is a first round pick. Yes it takes time to develop a QB, but it would be nice to see some sort of signs of improvement. To date, we have not. The Jets QB, Clemens, playing for only his 2nd start outplayed Jason. Let's hope Campbell starts earning his money as I'd hate to waste 2-3 years as him as a starter and once again start from scratch.

Coaching has a lot to do with it. Some of the condescending post are over the top though. Campbell needs to show a little bit more and take advantage of the oppurtinitys he does get. He has shown that he isn't very accurate and if he isn't getting a chance to throw the ball he sure is throwing a lot of int's lately. I think its way too early to tell what we have either way. He has not proven himself to be above average but he hasn't proved to be a bust by any means. If he still doesn't have a 300yd game by the end of the season though.............

All that said there is already a thread merged on this same topic

First off, we beat the worst AFC team in Week 1 in overtime... hahahaha. Second of all: did you see JC avoid two sacks and throw against his body to Moss on the sideline? It was ruled out of bounds... but damn, that was what we need on this team. He is only going to get better. Have a little faith in a young guy. Manning didn't get rolling until a couple seasons in either. JC has "Gotten it Done" in at least five games this season.

:applause::applause::applause: 100 % agreed.

I don't think its the coaches...you have Gibbs and Saunders with years of offensive experience. Its either the recievers not getting open, or Campbell not seeing the field or reading coverages. And if it is conservative play calling, then it is damn sure for a reason.

Great response. I agree wholeheartedly. I suspect that Campbell can't seem to grasp reading the field and coverages. Maybe it will eventually come, but he certainly has not shown that he is picking it up as of yet.

Well using your "brilliant" logic, we might as well take the WR's out of the game altogether and stick a few more offensive linemen in there to ensure Campbell gets all the time he needs. :laugh:

Campbell had plenty of time yesterday, so you can skip the OL woes excuse.

Do you actually read or are you having fun looking like an idiot.

I'll use small words for you....

He had plenty of time because we did max protect. Do I agree with it...no...was it necessary to give him time to throw yes. so what brilliant logic are you speaking of Einstein?

So in all fairness to JC how easy would it be for you to hand off all the time and then once in a blue moon you are able to throw the long ball and not be off? I mean if you are anymore accurate than JC please let Gibbs and all know this so you can hit the bombs all the time. Then we will see how you get it done. :2cents:

Everyone says we needa give Campbell atleast a full season to look good. But what about these other QBs? Tony Romo sits to pee is lighting it up n only his like 20th start, Derek Anderson is lighting it up wit the Brownies, countless other young QBs do great there 1st year, but it looks like Campbell is just getting worse from wek to week. He hasn't showed anything IMO that says he's our future franchise QB. You can't blame the coaches, he is the 1 that doesn't kno how to read blitzes or defense not the coaches fault he isn't smart enough

He does b/c that's all he played in College. He was a Shotgun QB in college and now when we try to puthim under center to make plays, it's more difficult to him. The coaches simply aren't coaching him to his strengths. We need to run more shotgun pass plays, and if he's gonna be under center to pass, it should be a PA pass. That is what he is good at. He's not a 5 step drop type qb. I wish the coaches realized that.

I don't think our coaching staff plays towards any of our offensive players strengths with the exception of Cooley. We took CP from Denver where he was a premier RB and now hes closer to an average RB. The coaching staff wants them to play "Redskin Football"; the problem with that is that teams change and personnel changes which may mean that the coaching staff needs to look for new ways to get a win. Until we realize that John Riggins, The Posse and The Hogs are no longer playing; we will strive for mediocrity.

Archived