Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell just not getting it done (Mega-merged)

FanSinceSonnyJ

Speaking from a point of view outside of your fandom, he seems to be a typical young QB at this point. I mean, do you guys remember how McNabb looked last night? They were keeping people in to block for him last night and the Cowboys were dropping everyone back. He literally had no one to throw to and this is McNabb. You may not think he's that great now, but he can still light it up and is not that far removed from being one of the best QBs in the league.

You guys not only have a young QB, but you're doing the same thing that the Eagles were doing last night; taking away good passing options from Campbell in hopes of protecting your injured o-line.

I don't watch enough of JC to know exactly how he's looking, but from what I have seen, he shows enough flashes to at least give him some more time. Keep in mind that while Romo sits to pee came out and slung it around and looked really good his first few starts, he did have some rookie issues once the team around him started struggling. Sound familiar?

You guys have got to be patient with him. You'll kick yourselves for years if you give up too soon and he goes on to become another Drew Brees or a Rich Gannon.

Speaking from a point of view outside of your fandom, he seems to be a typical young QB at this point. I mean, do you guys remember how McNabb looked last night? They were keeping people in to block for him last night and the Cowboys were dropping everyone back. He literally had no one to throw to and this is McNabb. You may not think he's that great now, but he can still light it up and is not that far removed from being one of the best QBs in the league.

You guys not only have a young QB, but you're doing the same thing that the Eagles were doing last night; taking away good passing options from Campbell in hopes of protecting your injured o-line.

I don't watch enough of JC to know exactly how he's looking, but from what I have seen, he shows enough flashes to at least give him some more time. Keep in mind that while Romo sits to pee came out and slung it around and looked really good his first few starts, he did have some rookie issues once the team around him started struggling. Sound familiar?

You guys have got to be patient with him. You'll kick yourselves for years if you give up too soon and he goes on to become another Drew Brees or a Rich Gannon.

thank you for the outside perspective....

some of you guys are just entirely too impatient

seriously....campbell is doing damn well for how injured our oline is, please people...stop talking smack about your own team...talk them up, dont doubt them and maybe good things will happen

*edit* i will admit i didnt read the majority of this because of the title and im tired of people bashing campbell....when he gets behind a solid o-line next year he will go huge, and the same with portis...next year we make dallas look like crap...put it in the books

Since this is a thread about JC and this is on that topic, what's with all the "poise" talk? What exactly has he done to be considered so "poised"? Is it the fact his facial expression never changes? Is that poise?

Just curious. I just keep seeing that term thrown around every single time JC is brought up around here.

Since this is a thread about JC and this is on that topic, what's with all the "poise" talk? What exactly has he done to be considered so "poised"? Is it the fact his facial expression never changes? Is that poise?

Just curious. I just keep seeing that term thrown around every single time JC is brought up around here.

Adj.1.poised - marked by balance or equilibrium and readiness for action; "a gull in poised flight"; "George's poised hammer" balanced - being in a state of proper equilibrium; "the carefully balanced seesaw"; "a properly balanced symphony orchestra"; "a balanced assessment of intellectual and cultural history"; "a balanced blend of whiskeys"; "the educated man shows a balanced development of all his powers"

2.poised - in full control of your faculties; "the witness remained collected throughout the cross-examination"; "perfectly poised and sure of himself"; "more self-contained and more dependable than many of the early frontiersmen"; "strong and self-possessed in the face of trouble"

Adj.1.poised - marked by balance or equilibrium and readiness for action; "a gull in poised flight"; "George's poised hammer" balanced - being in a state of proper equilibrium; "the carefully balanced seesaw"; "a properly balanced symphony orchestra"; "a balanced assessment of intellectual and cultural history"; "a balanced blend of whiskeys"; "the educated man shows a balanced development of all his powers"

2.poised - in full control of your faculties; "the witness remained collected throughout the cross-examination"; "perfectly poised and sure of himself"; "more self-contained and more dependable than many of the early frontiersmen"; "strong and self-possessed in the face of trouble"

:laugh:

Fair enough. I guess it is the never-changing facial expression. Someone should remind him it's okay to show emotion occasionally. That doesn't mean he isn't cool with the game on the line or anything.

I disagree 100%!!!! :doh:

READ THIS AND LEARN SOMETHING!!!

Campbell is much more likely to be the next Rex Grossman,

Kyle Boller,

Tim Couch,

Joey Harrington,

Patrick Ramsey,

David Carr,

Akili Smith,

Cade McNown,

Ryan Leaf,

or Jim Drukenmiller; All drafted in the first round, between 1997-2007...

Lets see how many real good QB's were drafted in the first round, within that same time frame (97-07);

Peyton Manning

Donovan McNabb

Ben Rothlisberger

Carson Palmer???

Eli Manning???

Derek Anderson was taken in the same draft (2005), in round 6 with the 213th overall pick! :cool: Anderson was actually drafted by the Ravens, they liked him in training camp, but they wanted Steve McNair, and weren't ready to give up on Kyle Boller cause he's a 1st round pick..... Two years later, their QB search continues, and Cleveland sitting pretty.......

Tony Romo sits to pee was not even selected in the 2003 Draft. There was 13 QB's drafted that year, Romo sits to pee was not one of them. Kyle Boller and Rex Grossman both went in Round 1.....

Those 2 guys are why there's so many of these threads, aside from the fact that Campbell CANT PLAY! People see what they've done in their limited starts, and it's obvious Campbell's not even near their level.......

My point is......... If Campbell was drafted in the 7th Round and playing this way, then EVERYBODY would be screaming about the QB situation!!!

The Redskins will be making a mistake to stick with Campbell, just because he was a 1st Round pick!! You never know where you'll find that next great QB, you're just as likely to find him in the 7th Round, as you are in the 1st Round.......

You'll know it when you've found him, but his name is NOT Jason Campbell!!

The search must continue!:cheers:

:laugh:

Fair enough. I guess it is the never-changing facial expression. Someone should remind him it's okay to show emotion occasionally. That doesn't mean he isn't cool with the game on the line or anything.

Ozzu. Why are you playing like this in the stadium on such a lame pretense? You're not this lame of a cowpie fan in ATN from what I remember seeing recently.

You didn't just plod down off a horse trailer :) .

You know damn well what poised means in this context.

You know damn well it isn't whether he changes his expression.

Now you can agree he is, or argue he isn't, by the terms any normal football fan would use to talk about the topic of a QB being poised.

What you're doing, thus, is actually trolling. I mean it's nothing you'd get banned for by me, it's so lightweight and innocuous a type of troll. But jeez. Just say you don't agree with what people are saying about JC being poised, debate it, or accept it.

Now though most would figure the meaning of the word itself to be obvious and familiar, the one guy responded with a literal definition that included many terms regularly used to describe Jason's usual demeanor in most games so far, and you acted like that definition offered nothing and played the "facial expressions" shtick again. :rolleyes: :laugh:

C'mon Ozzuz. If you're gonna play in the Stadium, don't disingenuously troll. Bring the same game you have in ATN. :)

Ozzu. Why are you playing like this in the stadium on such a lame pretense? You're not this lame of a cowpie fan in ATN from what I remember seeing recently.

You didn't just plod down off a horse trailer :) .

You know damn well what poised means in this context.

You know damn well it isn't whether he changes his expression.

Now you can agree he is, or argue he isn't, by the terms any normal football fan would use to talk about the topic of a QB being poised.

What you're doing, thus, is actually trolling. I mean it's nothing you'd get banned for by me, it's so lightweight and innocuous a type of troll. But jeez. Just say you don't agree with what people are saying about JC being poised, debate it, or accept it.

Now though most would figure the meaning of the word itself to be obvious and familiar, the one guy responded with a literal definition that included many terms regularly used to describe Jason's usual demeanor in most games so far, and you acted like that definition offered nothing and played the "facial expressions" shtick again. :rolleyes: :laugh:

C'mon Ozzuz. If you're gonna play in the Stadium, don't disingenuously troll. Bring the same game you have in ATN. :)

No offense was meant by it. I was just asking for someone to explain to me why that term is used more than any other when describing him. I got a definition of "poise" instead.

Listen, I don't get a chance to watch him play all that often and as I said above, I think he has something from what I HAVE seen. I just don't understand why the word "poise" is so often used in describing him. I mean, Tom Brady has poise. I've personally seen him time and time again step up on the biggest of stages no matter how bleak things look at the time.

Is there a game that someone can point to? Or a college game? I'm just curious why that's the word so often used.

Didn't mean anything by it. :)

Edit - And if it's something that can only be garnered by watching him game in and game out, I'll take your word for it.

Back on topic, I don't think the Quincy comparisons are that far off base. Quincy had a good arm, struggled with his accuracy, and had some issues reading a defense. The thing is, while Quincy got better with his throwing motion, improved his spiral, and did a better job of taking care of the ball, he never was going to be more than just a mediocre to below average QB because the things he did poorly never improved enough to where he could overcome them.

Saying JC is at the level of Quincy at this point in his career is not a knock. If he continues to improve, he's going to be fine. It's just that if he stays at his current level, never moving above what he is now, he'll probably end up as a backup somewhere.

Hell, from reading the thread, it sounds like Quincy and JC have had similar knocks against them and similar strengths. Quincy had a good deep ball, was mobile, never seemed to get rattled, and would show flashes of good QBing. But again, he never improved on his weaknesses enough to overcome them.

Improve is the name of the game. :)

Sorry guys, I can't get too excited over a win over arguably the worst AFC team. The fact that we once again let a lowly opponent take us into OT is alarming to say the least.

More concerning is the play of Jason Campbell. He has had 1 good game this season. The Jets' D is one of the worst in the league yet his passing numbers were once again mediocre. Another off target long pass and few if any medium pass completions. Those who love Jason can't blame the O line this week. Jason Campbell is a first round pick. Yes it takes time to develop a QB, but it would be nice to see some sort of signs of improvement. To date, we have not. The Jets QB, Clemens, playing for only his 2nd start outplayed Jason. Let's hope Campbell starts earning his money as I'd hate to waste 2-3 years as him as a starter and once again start from scratch.

Anyway, it's great to be 5-3, even if we're an ugly 5-3!

I can see your point of view however, he only has about one chance per game to hit the deep ball in this Joe Gibbs offense. QB's need to get in rhythm with their receivers and Gibbs won't call the type of passing plays needed for this to happen. I can't tell if he is a good QB or not at this point. I have never seen a team where the TE has more yards receiving then all of the WR's.?????? Fan's can post what they want but we are not a very good team on offense again this season. I also can't see why Saunders is here. This is not his offense you see each week...

Oh god, spare me your "told me so" post..

This place is funny.

There are more people wanting a claim to "call their shot" then just be fans... lame

You must've been one of the people calling for Campbell's head, I didn't check but guilt is a strong cologne, if you did then you're "lame."

You must've been one of the people calling for Campbell's head, I didn't check but guilt is a strong cologne, if you did then you're "lame."

No but 1 game where he is more then average and people like yourself are so quick to call people out. It is easy to sit back and second guess others. To not question JC so far would be odd. He has had his issues. I, like MANY have problems with CONSISTENT shortcomings of his that do not seem to be getting any better.

I am just tired of people who jump, rather on the good or bad right after a single game on the career of a player/coach. Further to try and call out people for commenting like YOU KNEW **** to begin with. You KNEW NOTHING, STILL DO.

No but 1 game where he is more then average and people like yourself are so quick to call people out. It is easy to sit back and second guess others. To not question JC so far would be odd. He has had his issues. I, like MANY have problems with CONSISTENT shortcomings of his that do not seem to be getting any better.

I am just tired of people who jump, rather on the good or bad right after a single game on the career of a player/coach. Further to try and call out people for commenting like YOU KNEW **** to begin with. You KNEW NOTHING, STILL DO.

Continue to be tired of it, because this one is justified.

You're right I didn't know **** to begin with but I wasn't dumb enough to call for him to be benched when he has been putting up paltry numbers in a scheme that does not completely show what he can do as a QB.

Today is a rub the face of all the people who have been jumping off a cliff and calling for Brunell and Todd Collins because Campbell hasn't been putting up Tony Romo sits to pee numbers.

He hasn't had the opportunities to show what his full potential is up until today (using the shotgun, multiple receiver spreads, the hurry-up). He showed that he is capable of performing and shining when in that type of game and that our offense is better when he has those tools.

Today he got a shot to prove himself and he executed.

Continue to be tired of it, because this one is justified.

You're right I didn't know **** to begin with but I wasn't dumb enough to call for him to be benched when he has been putting up paltry numbers in a scheme that does not completely show what he can do as a QB.

Today is a rub the face of all the people who have been jumping off a cliff and calling for Brunell and Todd Collins because Campbell hasn't been putting up Tony Romo sits to pee numbers.

He hasn't had the opportunities to show what his full potential is up until today (using the shotgun, multiple receiver spreads, the hurry-up). He showed that he is capable of performing and shining when in that type of game and that our offense is better when he has those tools.

Today he got a shot to prove himself and he executed.

Oh I totally agree, he led a great passing offense when he was *allowed*. I was never one to call for him to be benched though. Like Rex in Chicago, once you bench him, you will ruin his ego where you make him scared.

I just think more games like today are needed like the rest of this season) then next year we can see him truely *grow*.

We just got beat today, I think we COULD have done better but that is the same story for EVERY game every damn Sunday. Today didnt make me mad, Philly played a good game and hopefully we can pull out a playoff birth from here on out.

Oh I totally agree, he led a great passing offense when he was *allowed*. I was never one to call for him to be benched though. Like Rex in Chicago, once you bench him, you will ruin his ego where you make him scared.

I just think more games like today are needed like the rest of this season) then next year we can see him truely *grow*.

We just got beat today, I think we COULD have done better but that is the same story for EVERY game every damn Sunday. Today didnt make me mad, Philly played a good game and hopefully we can pull out a playoff birth from here on out.

Yeah, surprisingly I'm not mad about today either (I should be pissed because my girlfriend bought us tickets to today's game as my early Christmas present and they blew it) but I think I'm just happy that Gibbs gave Campbell a chance and he responded.

You can't have a consistently good team without a good QB and Campbell gave me a lot of hope for the future today.

And I agree, I don't want his confidence shattered like what happened to Rex in Chicago.

I just want to see today's offense and our normally tough D show up at the same game every week. When and if that happens and if we can smooth out some of our troubles (converting in the red zone, defensive penalties) we will be a playoff caliber team, until then we have things to work on.

But again, I'm happy that Gibbs recognized our offensive troubles and changed things up. Now I just want him to throw more in the red zone and rip our defense a new ass all week so they show up at Dallas.

Archived