Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell just not getting it done (Mega-merged)

FanSinceSonnyJ

Sorry guys, I can't get too excited over a win over arguably the worst AFC team. The fact that we once again let a lowly opponent take us into OT is alarming to say the least.

More concerning is the play of Jason Campbell. He has had 1 good game this season. The Jets' D is one of the worst in the league yet his passing numbers were once again mediocre. Another off target long pass and few if any medium pass completions. Those who love Jason can't blame the O line this week. Jason Campbell is a first round pick. Yes it takes time to develop a QB, but it would be nice to see some sort of signs of improvement. To date, we have not. The Jets QB, Clemens, playing for only his 2nd start outplayed Jason. Let's hope Campbell starts earning his money as I'd hate to waste 2-3 years as him as a starter and once again start from scratch.

Anyway, it's great to be 5-3, even if we're an ugly 5-3!

The QB can only work with so much when the playcalling is sub-par.

I think Jason has slowed in his progress because they aren't calling plays for medium and deep passes enough. 1 or 2 a game isn't going to help him develop.

Right now the thing that's slowing Jason down, is our coaching staff.

ignorance is bliss

The Redskins ran the ball 28 times in the second half and threw it 10 times.

After Campell's INT in the third quarter the Redskins ran 24 offensive plays; 21 were runs. I don't think you can do that and win - overcoming a deficit in the process - agaist too many defenses.

Guest sith lord

I don't think he sees the field all that good and is very inaccurate on his throws. I see him being a backup in a few years. And before anyone comes in and say "He's still young" , that's no excuse for the way he's been playing. By now, we should be seeing more signs of great play but we're not.

I agree to an extent. Sometimes he does things that are brilliant and then holds the ball too long and fumbles when hit.... but Dont get too down - it was only his 15th start.

I am not sure if he is the future or not. I do wish he had a little more fire... I wold love to see him pumping a fist, getting the team fired up - but I know he is still green and it may come.

Uh oh...I've been saying this for some time, but I always get trashed for my comments.

Campbell is a great athlete, but he's simply not accurate, and too late on his throws. I'd love to see us pick up Derek Andersen . I think the Browns will make him a franchise player and hang on to him for another year, and then we'll pounce on him in '09 when Gibbs leaves and the Browns make way for Brady Quim.

I think Jason has slowed in his progress because they aren't calling plays for medium and deep passes enough. 1 or 2 a game isn't going to help him develop.

Well, the coaches dialed up that deep post to Santana Moss. Guess it was their fault that Campbell overthrew Moss on a sure TD (again).

Guess that throw behind Moss's back earlier in the game that would've been a first down was the coaches fault too.

It's too easy to just blame the coaches. They are part of the problem; Campbell's accuracy is just as much a part of the problem.

ignorance is bliss

The Redskins ran the ball 28 times in the second half and threw it 10 times.

After Campell's INT in the third quarter the Redskins ran 24 offensive plays; 21 were runs. I don't think you can do that and win - overcoming a deficit in the process - agaist too many defenses.

Interesting stat. Running 21 running plays (out of 24 plays) after Campbell threw a int will not work against average to above average teams.

Is the medium pass never there or is Campbell playing not to lose versus playing not to win? My guess is the later as that is how the team is being coached.

Well, the coaches dialed up that deep post to Santana Moss. Guess it was their fault that Campbell overthrew Moss on a sure TD (again).

Guess that throw behind Moss's back earlier in the game that would've been a first down was the coaches fault too.

It's too easy to just blame the coaches. They are part of the problem; Campbell's accuracy is just as much a part of the problem.

When you run that play once every few weeks. Do you really expect the timing to really be there? Then you see that Moss has some sort of heal problem. Who knows? Maybe a healthy Moss would have caught that in stride. Maybe they are too busy practicing the tight formation with Thrash as the only WR so much, they never get to the deep passes.

Interesting stat. Running 21 running plays (out of 24 plays) after Campbell threw a int will not work against average to above average teams.

Well...it worked yesterday and every team will have a different gameplan. JC is fine and I a not sure he trusts his OL yet. He needs more opportunities out of the shotgun. He looks like he sees the field much better from the gun.

Just for the record, Jason Campbell is not supposed to be good this year. IMO, we are already overachieving (even though we have looked like crap, we have been winning).

I expected a learning year for Jason. Anyone here who is already getting down on Campbell needs to chill out. We don't need to run every qb out of town after 15 games.

not only do I not agree with ya, but I think you started another useless thread when you could have put this in one of the other Campbell hating threads...

Gee thanks for agreeing with me Ace. "Another useless thread"??? I think not. I'll be sure to begin commenting on the quality of each and everyone one of your "great" threads going forward. :laugh:

You're right. We should put Collins in immediately.

Better yet, what's Danny Wuerful doing? Tony Banks?

Instead of planning for Derek Anderson in 2009, let's trade our 1st round picks the next three years to move up and draft Colt Brennan.

After that, my nephew is dominating his Pop Warner league's 80-pound division. They run the T-formation but I think he'll develop a solid arm. Plan on drafting him in 2019.

When you run that play once every few weeks. Do you really expect the timing to really be there? Then you see that Moss has some sort of heal problem. Who knows? Maybe a healthy Moss would have caught that in stride. Maybe they are too busy practicing the tight formation with Thrash as the only WR so much, they never get to the deep passes.

Okay, I get it: it's not acceptable to even acknowledge that Campbell's accuracy is an issue. Let's just rationalize away.

I'm not blaming it all on him, but just because a QB is "young" doesn't mean that he is exempt from any criticism.

Is the medium pass never there or is Campbell playing not to lose versus playing not to win? My guess is the later as that is how the team is being coached.

I was at the game yesterday, and I watched the downfield passing game closely--there is no downfield passing game. Campbell looks downfield, but literally has no one to throw to. We max protect on almost every passing down, and all of our routes beyond 10 yards are well covered. I think he does pretty well given how this offense is called and designed.

Sorry guys, I can't get too excited over a win over arguably the worst AFC team. The fact that we once again let a lowly opponent take us into OT is alarming to say the least.

More concerning is the play of Jason Campbell. He has had 1 good game this season. The Jets' D is one of the worst in the league yet his passing numbers were once again mediocre. Another off target long pass and few if any medium pass completions. Those who love Jason can't blame the O line this week. Jason Campbell is a first round pick. Yes it takes time to develop a QB, but it would be nice to see some sort of signs of improvement. To date, we have not. The Jets QB, Clemens, playing for only his 2nd start outplayed Jason. Let's hope Campbell starts earning his money as I'd hate to waste 2-3 years as him as a starter and once again start from scratch.

Anyway, it's great to be 5-3, even if we're an ugly 5-3!

How did Clemens outplay Campbell exactly? Because he threw 42 times to Jason's 23 for only 80 more yards? Jason average 6.2 yards per pass attempt and Clemens averaged 5.4. Clemens looked a little more mobile, but that's going to happen when you drop back 20 more times and have to scramble.

I'm not saying Jason is perfect, but I don't think he was all that outplayed. The things that are hard for me to tell are is how often is he looking at a medium to long pass, but have to check down to a shorter pass. I think that is happening quite a bit, but its hard to know unless you can see the whole field.

Gee thanks for agreeing with me Ace. "Another useless thread"??? I think not. I'll be sure to begin commenting on the quality of each and everyone one of your "great" threads going forward. :laugh:

Yes another useless thread...go put your "sky is falling" thoughts on Campbell in the other Campbell hating thread. And seeing as I don't really start threads good luck with that. In all my time here I think I have started maybe 15. The only one I keep bumping is for the Upstate NY people.

edit: oh yeah and when did I say I agree with you...personally I think you watched the game with your eyes closed

Couldnt agree more. And your sig says it all. :applause:

Please don't insult our intelligence by making excuses over Campbell's continue inaccuracy with the deep ball. Moss was open by 2 yards...I guess that heal problem really slowed him down as he blew by the defender. Campbell missed him, just as he has been doing a lot of. And yes, we do expect the timing to be there. He was named the started for supposedly being able to throw the deep ball. Right now he looks a lot like Quincy Carter, that former dynamo who played for the Cowboys a few years back.

Archived