Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell just not getting it done (Mega-merged)

FanSinceSonnyJ

Campbell will be fine, I think we should wait until a qb has more than 15 starts before we run them out of town. And were 5-3 in a weak nfc conference. Who cares if we ran the ball so much after he threw that pick, Running the ball was working and getting just about 6-7 yards every play. Why pass at all?

Not everyone can be a Big Ben or Romo sits to pee and light the world on fire right away. It takes time for 95% of the good or great qb's to put it together. Take HOFer Troy Aikman, who tortured the Redskins for years. How happy would you have been if Dallass looked at his 9 TDs vs 18 INTs, 53% completion his first year, said he doesn't have it, and cut bait?

But wait! JC has gotten to ride the bench for 2 years. That counts for something right? Wrong. Aikman had 11 tds vs 18 ints his second year (57% complete), and 11 tds vs 10 ints his third (65% complete). He had a good year in that third year, then really exploded in the 4th. And that's starting all 3 years.

The point is, this discussion isn't worth having until the end of next year AT THE VERY EARLIEST. Anyone who thinks they've seen enough to make a decision either way at this point doesn't have a clue. In 2 years he could be in the pro-bowl, or he could be out of football, and none of us know. Quit your whining, enjoy the winning record, and hope for the future.

QFE

Its not the norm for a QB to light it up right out of the gate.

I thought I covered that. But thanks for reminding me. For the sake of the record, let's go over that list again . . .

Jason Campbell -- Public Enemy #1

Clinton Portis

Santana Moss

Was Cooley on this list too?

Nope he wasn't on the list but give him time I'm sure he will make it:doh: .

It seems that campbell is limited by playcalling. Also, we don;t see on television if his receivers are open or not. However Campbell is not as good as he should be at this point in the season. A few weeks ago, it looked as if he was developing at a nice, constant pace. But starting with the cardinals game, he looks to be recessing in his development. He cannot spread the ball around, he takes too long to throw, he can;t throw a deep ball accurately, he is slow when he tries to run.

It seems that campbell is limited by playcalling. Also, we don;t see on television if his receivers are open or not. However Campbell is not as good as he should be at this point in the season. A few weeks ago, it looked as if he was developing at a nice, constant pace. But starting with the cardinals game, he looks to be recessing in his development. He cannot spread the ball around, he takes too long to throw, he can;t throw a deep ball accurately, he is slow when he tries to run.

Gibbs admitted to putting the reins on Campbell in the Cruds game. He did blow that one screen pass that got returned and changed the game. But as investment bankers always say, you've got spend money to make money. And in order for Campbell to progress, you've got to take a chance on him regressing.

He's going to have days like this it's growing pains but as I stated earlier it would help him a great deal if the O-Line can protect him, open holes for our running backs, receivers run the right routes and catch the damn the ball this will help the kid a great deal. I can not and will not put it all on Jason he is not getting a lot of help until he do he's going to struggle.

i also like the spinal tap reference

but can we PLEASE stop comparing jason to other qb's at similar points in their careers? all any of that does is further emphasize the point that there have been such a wide range of occurances and variances that none of that data really matters. every young quarterback is different, so there is no need in the world to worry about what brady or Romo sits to pee or manning or rypien or ramsey or tony banks did.

tgijef

Ramsey, Carr, and Harrington have their first team's O-lines to thank for the horrid careers. I thought Ramsey would be pretty good, but Spurrier ended any chance of that.

I agree.

Even Bram mentioned that today during Redskin's lunch; joked that he wakes up sweating at night still because of Spurrier.

My God, Stephen A is annoying...

To me jason does not have the ability at this point to know what the play is going to look like before it actually takes place. When you watch Manning, Brady, or any of the other successfull QB's they seem to know before the ball is snapped how the play will develop. They seem to know exactly who they can throw to and who they can't before they even recieve the snap. With Jason everything seems to be on a whim. You can call this vision or whatever, but its definitely something that he will have to improve on. I don't think he feels comfortable being in control yet.

The QB can only work with so much when the playcalling is sub-par.

I think Jason has slowed in his progress because they aren't calling plays for medium and deep passes enough. 1 or 2 a game isn't going to help him develop.

Right now the thing that's slowing Jason down, is our coaching staff.

Your sig **** and disrespectful. I'd love to see you coaching the NFL. The worst part being that I know if you ever met Gibbs you'd suck him off as bad as anyone then ***** behind his back. You're the coward and a child.

That being said I do mostly agree with your post.

Sorry guys, I can't get too excited over a win over arguably the worst AFC team. The fact that we once again let a lowly opponent take us into OT is alarming to say the least.

More concerning is the play of Jason Campbell. He has had 1 good game this season. The Jets' D is one of the worst in the league yet his passing numbers were once again mediocre. Another off target long pass and few if any medium pass completions. Those who love Jason can't blame the O line this week. Jason Campbell is a first round pick. Yes it takes time to develop a QB, but it would be nice to see some sort of signs of improvement. To date, we have not. The Jets QB, Clemens, playing for only his 2nd start outplayed Jason. Let's hope Campbell starts earning his money as I'd hate to waste 2-3 years as him as a starter and once again start from scratch.

Anyway, it's great to be 5-3, even if we're an ugly 5-3!

It was not a great day for young Jason I admit.

However, after going back and forth on various "Cambell Sucks" threads for weeks now, I know I am not going to change anyone's mind.

I think he will be pretty good. You don't. Evidence is scant at this stage of his career, and the supporting cast he has to play with, and two rational people may very well look at it differently anyway.

So. How about we give him to the end of the season, and then look back and try to identify growth, lack there of, and potential improvement. Till then just cheer for the team. It's not like there is some young hot-shot waiting in the wings.

didnt know how bad some skins "fans" were until i started using this board. I mean most fans get upset after a frustrating loss/unimpressive win; however, some of this stuff is just ridiculous. In the history of the NFL, how many qbs have been dominant at this stage in their career? A handful or two. Furthermore, how many qbs were dominant period? The answer is not that many and of that small amount none have played for the skins. Campbell is exactly the person we thought he would be and thats a whole lot better than anyone we have had dating back to Trent Green. He's missed some throws just like every other qb at every level of football. But hes also made some good plays. And I truly feel that w/o him our record would look a lot like the Jets right now. Now if you still want to complain, i suggest you conjure up images of young Heath Shuler, Patrick Ramsey, Gus Frerotte, etc and see if you still have a problem w/ Campbell.

I think its pretty funny that you keep citing Moose Johnston as your expert witness :laugh:

Yeah really. He pretty much says good things about every young QB. You won't hear Johnston or Aikman be too down on the players. They will say when they make a mistake, but won't dwell on it.

Archived