Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Len Shapiro : Coaching Is Not for Gibbs These Days (Mod formatted title)

ccsl2

I said the same thing last year. No matter what happens this year I do not expect for Gibbs to come back, he knows this is not how he wanted it to go far. We would all like Gibbs to do well coaching but he is not the same. When was the last time we have seen a succesful halftime adjustment like we were custom to seeing in the past?

What made me the most upset about the game vs the pats, wasn't the final score, it was we did nothing different to try and throw them off. We do the same plays vs everyone and they all know this. The team also looked like a JV squad out there vs a varsity. The team looked completely unprepared and that all falls on Gibbs.

Those who feel we do not need a GM because Vinny is doing great, sorry but acquiring talented players and getting players that fit your style and team are two different things. Yes we have a lot of talented players that can do well on their own but for whatever reason do not click together.

Our skins team is starting to remind of the Yankees in a way talented beyond belief but can not play as a team.

I said the same thing last year. No matter what happens this year I do not expect for Gibbs to come back, he knows this is not how he wanted it to go far. We would all like Gibbs to do well coaching but he is not the same. When was the last time we have seen a succesful halftime adjustment like we were custom to seeing in the past?

What made me the most upset about the game vs the pats, wasn't the final score, it was we did nothing different to try and throw them off. We do the same plays vs everyone and they all know this. The team also looked like a JV squad out there vs a varsity. The team looked completely unprepared and that all falls on Gibbs.

Those who feel we do not need a GM because Vinny is doing great, sorry but acquiring talented players and getting players that fit your style and team are two different things. Yes we have a lot of talented players that can do well on their own but for whatever reason do not click together.

Our skins team is starting to remind of the Yankees in a way talented beyond belief but can not play as a team.

I couldn't find a whole lot to disagree with in Shapiro's article, but I do think you have to see how the rest of the season plays out before Gibbs should make a decision on whether he steps down or not. I think guiding the team to a 9-7 record or better would be enough of an improvement from last year to warrant letting Gibbs have at it for a 5th year to see what he could do. If we finish .500 or below, I think Joe will have to wonder how much he's going to realistically accomplish in a 5th year and that it might be time to hand over the reins to someone else. While the game against the Pats was nauseating to watch, the upcoming game against the Jets may be more telltale. If we can't get a W against a 1-7 team after the humiliation in New England, I think the whole board might be ready to run Joe out.

I couldn't find a whole lot to disagree with in Shapiro's article, but I do think you have to see how the rest of the season plays out before Gibbs should make a decision on whether he steps down or not. I think guiding the team to a 9-7 record or better would be enough of an improvement from last year to warrant letting Gibbs have at it for a 5th year to see what he could do. If we finish .500 or below, I think Joe will have to wonder how much he's going to realistically accomplish in a 5th year and that it might be time to hand over the reins to someone else. While the game against the Pats was nauseating to watch, the upcoming game against the Jets may be more telltale. If we can't get a W against a 1-7 team after the humiliation in New England, I think the whole board might be ready to run Joe out.

As much as I love Gibbs, there does seem to be some truth to this article. Especially the need for a true GM, but I really fear that when Gibbs does leave that the Dan will simply reassert himself and start his meddling again. He's just too much of control freak to turn over the running of the team to a GM. Gibbs just doesn't seem to have the fire from the earlier days, I can't believe Gibbs 1.0 would've taken the Patriots loss as lightly. I really have hope we'll still turn it around and make the playoffs, but things on offense have to improve significantly over the next few weeks.

As much as I love Gibbs, there does seem to be some truth to this article. Especially the need for a true GM, but I really fear that when Gibbs does leave that the Dan will simply reassert himself and start his meddling again. He's just too much of control freak to turn over the running of the team to a GM. Gibbs just doesn't seem to have the fire from the earlier days, I can't believe Gibbs 1.0 would've taken the Patriots loss as lightly. I really have hope we'll still turn it around and make the playoffs, but things on offense have to improve significantly over the next few weeks.

Great article. And man its to the point like Wilbon's the other day. If this season continues like this Gibbs will surely retire and I wouldn't want that to happen. But I wont be surprised. Its the middle of the week but that loss still hurts the fan base. Sad but so true.

Great article. And man its to the point like Wilbon's the other day. If this season continues like this Gibbs will surely retire and I wouldn't want that to happen. But I wont be surprised. Its the middle of the week but that loss still hurts the fan base. Sad but so true.

Shapiro said nothing in that column that isn't true. It's time to face facts. Joe Gibbs, as much as I love the man, isn't getting it done this go-round and not having a competent talent-evaluator kills us when we have injuries because there's no depth.

Shapiro said nothing in that column that isn't true. It's time to face facts. Joe Gibbs, as much as I love the man, isn't getting it done this go-round and not having a competent talent-evaluator kills us when we have injuries because there's no depth.

I agree with Shapiro's article, but I still think he skirted the issue of Snyder being the real problem. We can plug in as many coaches as we want but until Snyder changes his approach to meddling and influence, things will stay the same.

Yes, yes - I know it's HIS team, but that argument is flawed. Owners of businesses have to let their people do their thing. Micromanagement is a losing proposition every time it's tried - in any industry, at any level. When it comes from the top it retards the ability of everyone below to effectively perform their duties and utilize their expertise.

I'm still a die-hard Skins fan, but after the debacle in Foxboro I've had to come to some very real understandings - one of which was we are not anywhere close to competing with the better teams in the league - don't even mention the elite.

An overall, franchise-wide philosophical change must occur for this team to begin to rebuild in a direction that might bear fruit in five years. I love the Skins with all my heart and it is killing me watching this all play out.

Just my :2cents: .

theo

:logo:

I agree with Shapiro's article, but I still think he skirted the issue of Snyder being the real problem. We can plug in as many coaches as we want but until Snyder changes his approach to meddling and influence, things will stay the same.

Yes, yes - I know it's HIS team, but that argument is flawed. Owners of businesses have to let their people do their thing. Micromanagement is a losing proposition every time it's tried - in any industry, at any level. When it comes from the top it retards the ability of everyone below to effectively perform their duties and utilize their expertise.

I'm still a die-hard Skins fan, but after the debacle in Foxboro I've had to come to some very real understandings - one of which was we are not anywhere close to competing with the better teams in the league - don't even mention the elite.

An overall, franchise-wide philosophical change must occur for this team to begin to rebuild in a direction that might bear fruit in five years. I love the Skins with all my heart and it is killing me watching this all play out.

Just my :2cents: .

theo

:logo:

Shapiro explictly said he didn't base his article off of the Patriots game--did you read it?

:bsflag:

If the Redskins had won or played NE close this article would have been entirely different. Don't be so naieve. Yes, we know there are problems. But you had to know it take longer than a couple years to fix over 10 years of medocrity; we sucked before Snyder bought the damn team -- WITH A GM in charge!!!

I'm willing to give Gibbs until next year and then see how it ends up. If at that time we haven't made progress then I'll sadly bid him so long. We owe Coach the right to finish his five years without all these amateurs who don't really know what goes on behind closed doors running around with their hair on fire.

Shapiro explictly said he didn't base his article off of the Patriots game--did you read it?

:bsflag:

If the Redskins had won or played NE close this article would have been entirely different. Don't be so naieve. Yes, we know there are problems. But you had to know it take longer than a couple years to fix over 10 years of medocrity; we sucked before Snyder bought the damn team -- WITH A GM in charge!!!

I'm willing to give Gibbs until next year and then see how it ends up. If at that time we haven't made progress then I'll sadly bid him so long. We owe Coach the right to finish his five years without all these amateurs who don't really know what goes on behind closed doors running around with their hair on fire.

Can we start just putting a tag (pro-gibbs/anti-gibbs) in the title of every thread so I know which ones to avoid.

THE NFL HAS NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THE PATRIOTS. I AM SORRY WE LOST. I AM SORRY HOW WE LOST. THEY ARE A JUGGERNAUT. GOD DAMN PEOPLE GET A GRIP.

MORE UPHEAVAL?

THATS WHAT YOU WANT?

AFTER ****ING 8 YEARS OF SNYDER, 3 since he meddled you want TO START OVER AGAIN?

FOOTBALL FRANCHISES ARE NOT ****ING MICROWAVE BURRITOS.

TEAMS ARE NOW REAPING THE BENEFITS of DECISIONS THEY MADE 5 YEARS AGO.

I SWEAR TO GOD PEOPLE ARE TAKING FOOTBALL STUPID PILLS. WE CURRENTLY HAVE THE SECOND HARDEST STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE IN THE NFC (6th overall in the NFL) (http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfcsosag.html) INJURIES + ROOKIE QB.....and WE ARE STILL 4-3. AND YOU WANT TO START OVER? WHAT DID YOU EXPECT AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON WITH A NEW QB? 14-2? 15-1? We would be lucky to go 10-6.

Lucky I can sleep at night knowing JOE GIBBS is 100 X THE REDSKIN THAT ANY OF HIS ****ING DETRACTORS ARE.

:cheers: Well said!!!!

Can we start just putting a tag (pro-gibbs/anti-gibbs) in the title of every thread so I know which ones to avoid.

THE NFL HAS NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THE PATRIOTS. I AM SORRY WE LOST. I AM SORRY HOW WE LOST. THEY ARE A JUGGERNAUT. GOD DAMN PEOPLE GET A GRIP.

MORE UPHEAVAL?

THATS WHAT YOU WANT?

AFTER ****ING 8 YEARS OF SNYDER, 3 since he meddled you want TO START OVER AGAIN?

FOOTBALL FRANCHISES ARE NOT ****ING MICROWAVE BURRITOS.

TEAMS ARE NOW REAPING THE BENEFITS of DECISIONS THEY MADE 5 YEARS AGO.

I SWEAR TO GOD PEOPLE ARE TAKING FOOTBALL STUPID PILLS. WE CURRENTLY HAVE THE SECOND HARDEST STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE IN THE NFC (6th overall in the NFL) (http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfcsosag.html) INJURIES + ROOKIE QB.....and WE ARE STILL 4-3. AND YOU WANT TO START OVER? WHAT DID YOU EXPECT AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON WITH A NEW QB? 14-2? 15-1? We would be lucky to go 10-6.

Lucky I can sleep at night knowing JOE GIBBS is 100 X THE REDSKIN THAT ANY OF HIS ****ING DETRACTORS ARE.

:cheers: Well said!!!!

Archived