Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Len Shapiro : Coaching Is Not for Gibbs These Days (Mod formatted title)

ccsl2

...everytime I see Gibbs giving that same old tired press conference the more I want to totally become a Redskin Hater!

Any person that wants Gibbs to be here his entire 5 years based on the little if ANY postives I can see is either a Dallas Fan, Retarded or simply Bass Ackwards. :2cents:

Okay. Call me retarded, but I wish you would just disappear. I have seen so many asinine comments on this board in the past 2.5 years that I can't stand it anymore. Sorry, bud, but you already ARE a Redskins hater. Maybe you are in denial. You should go back and read some of your recent posts. You hate the Redskins. Admitting it is the first step to recovery. Because you do have a disease.

Do us all a favor and move to Dallas. Let someone on the waiting list get your seats. It's fans like you--who scalp their seats to the highest bidder--who cause me to be surrounded by the opposing teams' fans every week. There are about 50,000 REAL fans who want your seats. I'd like them to have my back when I tell the other teams' fans to show respect in my house.

GIVE UP YOUR SEATS. NOW!!!!!!!

...everytime I see Gibbs giving that same old tired press conference the more I want to totally become a Redskin Hater!

Any person that wants Gibbs to be here his entire 5 years based on the little if ANY postives I can see is either a Dallas Fan, Retarded or simply Bass Ackwards. :2cents:

Okay. Call me retarded, but I wish you would just disappear. I have seen so many asinine comments on this board in the past 2.5 years that I can't stand it anymore. Sorry, bud, but you already ARE a Redskins hater. Maybe you are in denial. You should go back and read some of your recent posts. You hate the Redskins. Admitting it is the first step to recovery. Because you do have a disease.

Do us all a favor and move to Dallas. Let someone on the waiting list get your seats. It's fans like you--who scalp their seats to the highest bidder--who cause me to be surrounded by the opposing teams' fans every week. There are about 50,000 REAL fans who want your seats. I'd like them to have my back when I tell the other teams' fans to show respect in my house.

GIVE UP YOUR SEATS. NOW!!!!!!!

But you had to know it take longer than a couple years to fix over 10 years of medocrity; we sucked before Snyder bought the damn team -- WITH A GM in charge!!!

Well, the Carolina Panthers and Jacksonville Jaguars made it to the conference championship games in their second year from expansion(1995).

Carolina dwindled away for 6 years after that, then went to the Super Bowl in the 2003-04 season. And they had a 1-15 record in 2001 (Seifert's last year as their head coach). They lost the conference championship game in the 2005-06 season. The Panthers are currently 4-3.

Jacksonville went to the playoffs 4 seasons in a row (1996-1999); two were conference championship games. They dwindled away for 5 years, then lost to the Pats in the first round with a 12-4 regular season record in 2005. The Jaguars were 4-12 in 1995 and 5-11 in 2003 with new head coaches. The Jaguars are currently 5-2.

My point is that it doesn't take 3, 4, or 5 seasons to build a winning team.

But you had to know it take longer than a couple years to fix over 10 years of medocrity; we sucked before Snyder bought the damn team -- WITH A GM in charge!!!

Well, the Carolina Panthers and Jacksonville Jaguars made it to the conference championship games in their second year from expansion(1995).

Carolina dwindled away for 6 years after that, then went to the Super Bowl in the 2003-04 season. And they had a 1-15 record in 2001 (Seifert's last year as their head coach). They lost the conference championship game in the 2005-06 season. The Panthers are currently 4-3.

Jacksonville went to the playoffs 4 seasons in a row (1996-1999); two were conference championship games. They dwindled away for 5 years, then lost to the Pats in the first round with a 12-4 regular season record in 2005. The Jaguars were 4-12 in 1995 and 5-11 in 2003 with new head coaches. The Jaguars are currently 5-2.

My point is that it doesn't take 3, 4, or 5 seasons to build a winning team.

A few things....

1) Yes the WP is losing readers, but so is every newspaper in the world. The internet is taking that over completely (duh, what are we all doing here at ES instead of at WP) but the WP has BY FAR the best internet strategy of any traditional newspaper journalism outfit. They know exactly what they are doing with the transition to the digital world and writing "shock" articles is not the answer.

So you can take that conspiracy theory right out the door.

2) This week has been tough, but I think the Patriots are alot better than people think. For Shapiro to compare the Skins to the Colts and Patriots is a little disingenuous because those might be the two best football teams of the modern era. Seriously.

His denouncing of the Cardinals is also disingenuous, since that's a good football team that will probably win the NFCW. His suggestion that we "squeaked" by the Dolphins is also a little off, since wins in the NFL are always wins, and that team had Trent Green, Ronnie Brown and Chambers.

Look, I realize we are 4-3, but we also SHOULD have beaten the Packers and Giants, who are easily top teams in the NFC. We're not, but people are acting like we weren't good enough to win those games. We were good enough, but didn't take advantage.

We could very easily be 5-2 or 6-1 and then no one would be saying anything.

A few things....

1) Yes the WP is losing readers, but so is every newspaper in the world. The internet is taking that over completely (duh, what are we all doing here at ES instead of at WP) but the WP has BY FAR the best internet strategy of any traditional newspaper journalism outfit. They know exactly what they are doing with the transition to the digital world and writing "shock" articles is not the answer.

So you can take that conspiracy theory right out the door.

2) This week has been tough, but I think the Patriots are alot better than people think. For Shapiro to compare the Skins to the Colts and Patriots is a little disingenuous because those might be the two best football teams of the modern era. Seriously.

His denouncing of the Cardinals is also disingenuous, since that's a good football team that will probably win the NFCW. His suggestion that we "squeaked" by the Dolphins is also a little off, since wins in the NFL are always wins, and that team had Trent Green, Ronnie Brown and Chambers.

Look, I realize we are 4-3, but we also SHOULD have beaten the Packers and Giants, who are easily top teams in the NFC. We're not, but people are acting like we weren't good enough to win those games. We were good enough, but didn't take advantage.

We could very easily be 5-2 or 6-1 and then no one would be saying anything.

I take issue with several of Shapiro's comments:

1. He is trying to make it appear as if Gibbs is in the Hall because of his backing. I call Bullsh!7; Gibbs did not need his help;

2. He says that everyone has injuries, so don't complain. True, eveyone has injuries, but most don't have injuries to three starters on one unit--the O-line--and two injuries to their second-string fill-ins; and one more injury to the third string fill-in. It's entirely different when you are decimated on one unit, especially when that unit is supposed to give your field general time to work. Having the same number of injuries spread out over multiple units is a completely different story;

3. What the hell is he talking about when he says Gibbs II will never work? I guess BeliDick should have quit after the Browns/Jets experiment failed. Or, Dungy after he failed as the Bucs head coach. Or, Gruden when his Raiders were pathetic. Maybe Jimmy Johnson should have quit when he only had one win with the Cowboys. Maybe Parcells should have quit when his Giants were perennial three-game winners. Just what the hell is Shapiro talking about?

4. Then there are the comments about how Shapiro thinks the Redskins should build the team. He blames the Redskins for not having experienced personnel guys and then goes on to state exactly how they should build the team. I'm sorry, when exactly was Shapiro an NFL scout? GM? Personnel evaluator? I must have missed those years;

5. He says he is not simply piling on after a bad loss, but that is exactly what he is doing and it was ONE bad loss. It is very similar to the loss to the Giants two years ago...the year they made the playoffs…won a playoff game on the road, and were one dropped INT from the NFC Championship game. ONE bad loss, Shappy. Gibbs II is on the verge of bringing the Skins to their second playoff appearance in three years and you want to cut him off at the knees? It’s a good thing Eisenhower was the Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces during Normandy. If it were you, we’d all be speaking German right now. Or, we could all read your story in the WaPo about the missed drop zones and the the tens of thousands of casualties and that IN YOUR OPINION it was time for a new Supreme Commander;

6. Finally, when he mocks Snyder as a "fan-boy" and makes fun of Six Flags’ stock price, Shapiro gives up the ghost. Shappy is just another envious, petulant Snyder hater who cannot stand that someone younger and smarter than him can have more money than him and own an NFL franchise. What a jerk.

Sorry SHAPIRO, I want Gibbs to stay because Gibbs gives this franchise the best chance of returning to glory. There aren't many franchises that can say they had two trips to the playoffs in the last three years. And, if Rogers held on to that interception in Seattle two years ago they would have played in the Super Bowl. And it ALL is due to Gibbs's leadership.

If you knew anything about how to run a business, you would not be a sports writer for the Post, so don’t talk about stock prices. And, if you knew anything about how to be a good manager, you would be one. Please write about the Ravens from now on.

1. He is trying to make it appear as if Gibbs is in the Hall because of his backing. I call Bullsh!7; Gibbs did not need his help;

2. He says that everyone has injuries, so don't complain. True, eveyone has injuries, but most don't have injuries to three starters on one unit--the O-line--and two injuries to their second-string fill-ins; and one more injury to the third string fill-in. It's entirely different when you are decimated on one unit, especially when that unit is supposed to give your field general time to work. Having the same number of injuries spread out over multiple units is a completely different story;

3. What the hell is he talking about when he says Gibbs II will never work? I guess BeliDick should have quit after the Browns/Jets experiment failed. Or, Dungy after he failed as the Bucs head coach. Or, Gruden when his Raiders were pathetic. Maybe Jimmy Johnson should have quit when he only had one win with the Cowboys. Maybe Parcells should have quit when his Giants were perennial three-game winners. Just what the hell is Shapiro talking about?

4. Then there are the comments about how Shapiro thinks the Redskins should build the team. He blames the Redskins for not having experienced personnel guys and then goes on to state exactly how they should build the team. I'm sorry, when exactly was Shapiro an NFL scout? GM? Personnel evaluator? I must have missed those years;

5. He says he is not simply piling on after a bad loss, but that is exactly what he is doing and it was ONE bad loss. It is very similar to the loss to the Giants two years ago...the year they made the playoffs…won a playoff game on the road, and were one dropped INT from the NFC Championship game. ONE bad loss, Shappy. Gibbs II is on the verge of bringing the Skins to their second playoff appearance in three years and you want to cut him off at the knees? It’s a good thing Eisenhower was the Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces during Normandy. If it were you, we’d all be speaking German right now. Or, we could all read your story in the WaPo about the missed drop zones and the the tens of thousands of casualties and that IN YOUR OPINION it was time for a new Supreme Commander;

6. Finally, when he mocks Snyder as a "fan-boy" and makes fun of Six Flags’ stock price, Shapiro gives up the ghost. Shappy is just another envious, petulant Snyder hater who cannot stand that someone younger and smarter than him can have more money than him and own an NFL franchise. What a jerk.

Sorry SHAPIRO, I want Gibbs to stay because Gibbs gives this franchise the best chance of returning to glory. There aren't many franchises that can say they had two trips to the playoffs in the last three years. And, if Rogers held on to that interception in Seattle two years ago they would have played in the Super Bowl. And it ALL is due to Gibbs's leadership.

If you knew anything about how to run a business, you would not be a sports writer for the Post, so don’t talk about stock prices. And, if you knew anything about how to be a good manager, you would be one. Please write about the Ravens from now on.

If Gibbs could go back and do some things he did so well during his 1st tenure here then I would be okay. But nothing I mean nothing this man does now even remotely resembles anything he did in his hay day....

1) When we had an injured line he moved the pocket....He doesn't now.

2) Think about the offense we had when little Joe Washington was here versus the offense we had with Riggins.

Think about the second half adjustments that would be made during halftime versus what is done during halftime presently.

People want a conspiracy well I am almost starting to think this isn't the real Gibbs with all that money Snyder has he cloned Gibbs and brought the look but not the smarts.......:2cents:

Um, Joe Washington played for us from 1981-1984. And he shared the backfield with Riggins in '83, when Riggo scored 24 TD's in one season.

If Gibbs could go back and do some things he did so well during his 1st tenure here then I would be okay. But nothing I mean nothing this man does now even remotely resembles anything he did in his hay day....

1) When we had an injured line he moved the pocket....He doesn't now.

2) Think about the offense we had when little Joe Washington was here versus the offense we had with Riggins.

Think about the second half adjustments that would be made during halftime versus what is done during halftime presently.

People want a conspiracy well I am almost starting to think this isn't the real Gibbs with all that money Snyder has he cloned Gibbs and brought the look but not the smarts.......:2cents:

Um, Joe Washington played for us from 1981-1984. And he shared the backfield with Riggins in '83, when Riggo scored 24 TD's in one season.

LoveDaSkins, or whatever his name is, doesn't understand facts and logic. I suspect he is not even a Skins fan. I hate to say it, but with all the negativity I've seen on this board lately, I'm beginning to think Skins fans need a new home.

LoveDaSkins, or whatever his name is, doesn't understand facts and logic. I suspect he is not even a Skins fan. I hate to say it, but with all the negativity I've seen on this board lately, I'm beginning to think Skins fans need a new home.

Thank you for that post man.

I am so ashamed to be a Skins fan right now.

Our fans make it seem like we're 0-7.

Last time I checked we had a winning record w/ an inexperienced QB.

Look our team needs our support.

Can all of you stupid whiny biotches just shut the fock up until the offseason.

Lord knows you all are going to biotch then anyways.

What happened to the real fans of this team.

Almost every member here is a full grown man.

A lot of you sound like whiny schoolgirls and it gets worse every week.

Anyone here who suggests Gibbs quitting should STFU until after the season.

We've got 9 games to go guys.

Root hard for our boys, they need us more than ever.

So does Gibbs.

F Shapiro.

So does Gibbs.

F Shapiro.

Belichick was never coach of the Jets. He actually had the Browns turned around and molded them into a pretty good team (yes it took 3 years but then again that was the typical time span in the pre free agency days), then the news came down of the move to Baltimore midway through the 95 season and the team just deflated. I've always given Belichick credit for refusing to move with the team to Baltimore.

Dungy turned a laughingstock franchise into a consistent playoff team.

First 4 years: 2 playoff appearences 1 divsion title 1 NFC Championship appearence

Gruden never had a losing season in Oakland.

First 4 years: 2 playoff appearences 1 division title 1 AFC Championship appearence

Jimmy Johnson had his team as a winner by year 3.

First 4 years: 2 playoff appearences 1 division title 1 Super Bowl title

Parcells' Giants were a 3 game winner his first season, they were a consistent playoff team contender every year after that.

First 4 years: 3 playoff appearences 1 division title 1 Super Bowl title

To compare those 4 to Gibbs 2.0's record after 4 seasons is apples and oranges.

As to his GM comment. I don't think he was suggesting that he should be hired as the new GM. He's just suggesting that somebody who has successfully done the job before be hired to do it instead of having one person who has never really done it (Joe Gibbs) and one person who hasn't been successful at it (Vinny Cerrato) be responsible for player acquisition.

Belichick was never coach of the Jets. He actually had the Browns turned around and molded them into a pretty good team (yes it took 3 years but then again that was the typical time span in the pre free agency days), then the news came down of the move to Baltimore midway through the 95 season and the team just deflated. I've always given Belichick credit for refusing to move with the team to Baltimore.

Dungy turned a laughingstock franchise into a consistent playoff team.

First 4 years: 2 playoff appearences 1 divsion title 1 NFC Championship appearence

Gruden never had a losing season in Oakland.

First 4 years: 2 playoff appearences 1 division title 1 AFC Championship appearence

Jimmy Johnson had his team as a winner by year 3.

First 4 years: 2 playoff appearences 1 division title 1 Super Bowl title

Parcells' Giants were a 3 game winner his first season, they were a consistent playoff team contender every year after that.

First 4 years: 3 playoff appearences 1 division title 1 Super Bowl title

To compare those 4 to Gibbs 2.0's record after 4 seasons is apples and oranges.

As to his GM comment. I don't think he was suggesting that he should be hired as the new GM. He's just suggesting that somebody who has successfully done the job before be hired to do it instead of having one person who has never really done it (Joe Gibbs) and one person who hasn't been successful at it (Vinny Cerrato) be responsible for player acquisition.

Right, I understand that, and the ownership and GM support is not there. At the same time, I don't exactly see the same coach, either. You realize we haven't run one fake punt, one surprise onside kick since he's come back? Stuff he was known for the first time around. We're so unbelievably predictable in everything we do ON THE FIELD, and that part of it IS Gibbs.

It looks as if you are only 24 so I think it important for you to know that Gibbs was not known for "trick" plays. Once in a long while he incorporated, but not as a general rule. He was known for having brilliant game plans, executed flawlessly. Most importantly, he was known for making half time adjustments. We never really worried if we were down by 10 or 14 points at the half, because you knew Gibbs (and Pettibon on the defensive side) were going to make the adjustments needed to get back into the game. We are so far removed from that type of brilliance today that it is truly pathetic and sad.

Right, I understand that, and the ownership and GM support is not there. At the same time, I don't exactly see the same coach, either. You realize we haven't run one fake punt, one surprise onside kick since he's come back? Stuff he was known for the first time around. We're so unbelievably predictable in everything we do ON THE FIELD, and that part of it IS Gibbs.

It looks as if you are only 24 so I think it important for you to know that Gibbs was not known for "trick" plays. Once in a long while he incorporated, but not as a general rule. He was known for having brilliant game plans, executed flawlessly. Most importantly, he was known for making half time adjustments. We never really worried if we were down by 10 or 14 points at the half, because you knew Gibbs (and Pettibon on the defensive side) were going to make the adjustments needed to get back into the game. We are so far removed from that type of brilliance today that it is truly pathetic and sad.

As a lifelong Skins fan going back to Sonny J, I would say Len Shapiro has endless more credibility then you. Your breakdown of the article is inaccurate. Shapiro and many of us were around during Gibbs I and Gibbs II. The differences of the eras in like night and day. Wishing and hoping for things to change does not make it happen. After the Pats debacle I've finally come to the conclusion that it isn't going to happen under Gibbs II.

As a lifelong Skins fan going back to Sonny J, I would say Len Shapiro has endless more credibility then you. Your breakdown of the article is inaccurate. Shapiro and many of us were around during Gibbs I and Gibbs II. The differences of the eras in like night and day. Wishing and hoping for things to change does not make it happen. After the Pats debacle I've finally come to the conclusion that it isn't going to happen under Gibbs II.

So does Gibbs.

F Shapiro.

You can stick your head in the sand and wave pom poms until the cows come home, but it is not going to change what we are witnessing on the field. Get real, the Pats just throttle us 52-7 and we squeaked by 2 of the weakest teams in the league and gave away 2 other wins. We're a very soft 4-3. Kind of hard to see the forests through all those trees, now isn't it?

So does Gibbs.

F Shapiro.

You can stick your head in the sand and wave pom poms until the cows come home, but it is not going to change what we are witnessing on the field. Get real, the Pats just throttle us 52-7 and we squeaked by 2 of the weakest teams in the league and gave away 2 other wins. We're a very soft 4-3. Kind of hard to see the forests through all those trees, now isn't it?

Archived