Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Len Shapiro : Coaching Is Not for Gibbs These Days (Mod formatted title)

ccsl2

Wait. The premise for Gibbs to retire is because it looks like years before this team can become competitive with the Pats or Colts after last weeks loss in Foxboro? I'm not sure, but last I checked has anyone been competitive with the Pats this year? No, so I guess thnere are 29 more coaches considering hanging it up after this season because they can't compete against the top2 teams in the NFL right now. :wtf:

It doesn't bother you that this team is so far away from being anywhere near an elite team? When the Redskins have had every opportunity that was given to the Pats and Colts? Those two teams weren't given any special treatment.

It certainly bothers me.

It doesn't bother you that this team is so far away from being anywhere near an elite team? When the Redskins have had every opportunity that was given to the Pats and Colts? Those two teams weren't given any special treatment.

It certainly bothers me.

It bothers me alot in fact. That doesn't mean it's time for the Head Coaches around the league to go, does it? Every other team in the NFL has had every opportunity to be as good as the Pats and Colts. Where are they? I don't understand why Gibbs is the one who doesn't know how to coach after a dissapointing loss but a team that should have been in a better position to compete with te Pats( at least according to the media ) are still considered the best in the NFC after getting blown out AT HOME against the same team.

On top of that, what is the alternative? Gibbs goes and gets replaced by who? A new system for the team to learn again? How many years before we give them the OK to start being good again after the excuses of a new coaching staff? While I agree there is plenty wrong with this team, I don't think any of it can't be fixed this year and next. Alot has to do with attitude along with some luck on our side. That is the only way we can hope to compete on a consistant basis.

Wait. The premise for Gibbs to retire is because it looks like years before this team can become competitive with the Pats or Colts after last weeks loss in Foxboro? I'm not sure, but last I checked has anyone been competitive with the Pats this year? No, so I guess thnere are 29 more coaches considering hanging it up after this season because they can't compete against the top2 teams in the NFL right now. :wtf:

This point of view bothers me and I would like to say why, we all have called Daniel Snyder alot of things however the one thing I will stick up for him is he isn't cheap when it comes to this team. This man has paid alot of money out and one would think that anybody would think the money spent was to have an elite team and a winning one. This is where gibbs is more to blame than anyone, I mean listen to reason, Vinny Cerato couldn't cut the mustard in San Francisco and how and why and what purpose he truly serves the Redskins are up for debate. However Gibbs comes and Snyder hands him the keys to the castle and in 4 years this team still are consistent underachievers. Yes we made the playoffs 1 time in four years however 1 would think that even though Gibbs hadn't been a head coach in years he still had his hands in it, he was even a part owner of the Atlanta Falcons! So since he has come back is this franchise any better off? That too is a matter of debate however the one thing that can't be debated is Gibbs and Al Saunders for some reason are having a serious issue with developing a offense. The same offensive woes we have had since Gibbs got here we still have here to this day. Clinton Portis is a top back in this league, Moss, Lloyd and Randel El for that matter are above average athletes in my opinion, I mean the knock before was Brunell had no arm so he handicapped this offense but now we have a QB with one of the strongest arms in the league and we are still calling Brunell like plays where we are NOT spreading the field. We have an offensive line coach that has had weeks to coach up whomever is starting on the right side and I think thier play has actually degressed and not progressed. The offensive line looks just as bad as they did when Spurrier and Kim Helton were here and we all know how bad that was! So please am I missing something or what? just because someone won 3 SB rings decades ago it shouldn't take them 4 plus years to figure something out football is football and just as we look at other teams for tendencies Joe Gibbs has a tendency to have the same old tired unimaginable offense that shifts and all that but still they call the same plays over and over that don't work. So it's not the 29 other teams when compared to the Colts and Patriots, for me it's a HOF coach and his staff that seem to me to be either not paying attention to logic or are all too senile and mentally deficient and simply don't know any better. :2cents:

It bothers me alot in fact. That doesn't mean it's time for the Head Coaches around the league to go, does it? Every other team in the NFL has had every opportunity to be as good as the Pats and Colts. Where are they? I don't understand why Gibbs is the one who doesn't know how to coach after a dissapointing loss but a team that should have been in a better position to compete with te Pats( at least according to the media ) are still considered the best in the NFC after getting blown out AT HOME against the same team.

On top of that, what is the alternative? Gibbs goes and gets replaced by who? A new system for the team to learn again? How many years before we give them the OK to start being good again after the excuses of a new coaching staff? While I agree there is plenty wrong with this team, I don't think any of it can't be fixed this year and next. Alot has to do with attitude along with some luck on our side. That is the only way we can hope to compete on a consistant basis.

Agreed, the problems with this team go a lot deeper than who is the head coach. I think this team needs to start completely over. This coaching staff is very near to the end of their careers. I can't see them being an elite team before they go.

For the record I don't think Gibbs should go. I think he is the only person keeping Snyder in check. Without that, it would probably be worse.

Agreed, the problems with this team go a lot deeper than who is the head coach. I think this team needs to start completely over. This coaching staff is very near to the end of their careers. I can't see them being an elite team before they go.

For the record I don't think Gibbs should go. I think he is the only person keeping Snyder in check. Without that, it would probably be worse.

I wish that when Gibbs came back he would have had someone younger that would have been in the same type mold but someone young enough to apply Gibbs philosophy to a modern era NFL. I think that is where Gibbs went wrong Whether it was a son, distant cousin of ex player of his he should have gotten maybe Grimm here and had him as his understudy. I would have loved to see Gibbs old ways modfied to todays NFL, I think that is where Gibbs has failed, not being able to adapt his philosophy to todays player and NFL, any thoughts?

Just wanted to speak to your point about whether any team has been comepetitive with the Pats this year because I don't think you're entirely correct. As much as it pains me to say it, the cowboys at least made it game with the Pats up until the late 3rd/early 4th quarter (if my memory serves, regardless it was well into the second half) of the game. The Skins, on the other hand, were pretty much out of the game at some point in the second quarter, at least by half time.

• 2 months later...
he'd have been fired after the giants game last year if his name wasnt Joe Gibbs. like snyder would have accepted that from anyone if it wasnt the local DC hero. and we just came out and got completely embarrassed/murdered/destroyed, and instead of saying anything to the public about how terrible it was, we get his generic lame "were in this together' speech. i know im not the only one sick of hear that. and if its coachspeak, fine. gibbs got away with it in the 80s becase we were winning. people need to be held accountable, not showered with praise when they suck.

Funny how it comes back around :)

Great bump :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cheers:

Not just Lenny, but a good review for many board members. ;):silly:

While I'm thrilled that we are in the playoffs, there are still some salient points being made in this thread about management that exist playoffs or no playoffs. Until we can become a consistent team year in and out and develop a long-standing track record of good FO decisions, the Redskins organizational shortcomings will always be an area of concern.

That said, I am pumped for this weekend.

Keep it up, TC!

:seahawksu:

This point of view bothers me and I would like to say why ... Yes we made the playoffs 1 time in four years however 1 would think that even though Gibbs hadn't been a head coach in years he still had his hands in it, he was even a part owner of the Atlanta Falcons!

... so since he has come back is this franchise any better off? The same offensive woes we have had since Gibbs got here we still have here to this day.

... just because someone won 3 SB rings decades ago it shouldn't take them 4 plus years to figure something out football is football

... it's not the 29 other teams when compared to the Colts and Patriots, for me it's a HOF coach and his staff that seem to me to be either not paying attention to logic or are all too senile and mentally deficient and simply don't know any better. :2cents:

make that 2 playoffs appearances 4 years. We'll see what Gibbs does next year.

As Larry David would say that is "pretttty ... prettty ... prettty good" if ya ask me.

Not trying to call out anyone specifically, but I have been called a homer with blinders over and over on this board. And I'm not saying that I am satisfied with just making the playoffs as a wild card. I am merely looking at the whole body of work, and giving credit where it is due.

While I'm thrilled that we are in the playoffs, there are still some salient points being made in this thread about management that exist playoffs or no playoffs. Until we can become a consistent team year in and out and develop a long-standing track record of good FO decisions, the Redskins organizational shortcomings will always be an area of concern.

That said, I am pumped for this weekend.

Keep it up, TC!

:seahawksu:

Well, congrats on being first and claiming the Captain Obvious title :silly:;):) , but it doesn't change the point others are making about the basic ignorance often fairly associated with stating positions as absolutes--"he's done as a coach", "this FO can't do anything right" etc. :)

:cheers:

I take issue with several of Shapiro's comments:

1. He is trying to make it appear as if Gibbs is in the Hall because of his backing. I call Bullsh!7; Gibbs did not need his help;

2. He says that everyone has injuries, so don't complain. True, eveyone has injuries, but most don't have injuries to three starters on one unit--the O-line--and two injuries to their second-string fill-ins; and one more injury to the third string fill-in. It's entirely different when you are decimated on one unit, especially when that unit is supposed to give your field general time to work. Having the same number of injuries spread out over multiple units is a completely different story;

3. What the hell is he talking about when he says Gibbs II will never work? I guess BeliDick should have quit after the Browns/Jets experiment failed. Or, Dungy after he failed as the Bucs head coach. Or, Gruden when his Raiders were pathetic. Maybe Jimmy Johnson should have quit when he only had one win with the Cowboys. Maybe Parcells should have quit when his Giants were perennial three-game winners. Just what the hell is Shapiro talking about?

4. Then there are the comments about how Shapiro thinks the Redskins should build the team. He blames the Redskins for not having experienced personnel guys and then goes on to state exactly how they should build the team. I'm sorry, when exactly was Shapiro an NFL scout? GM? Personnel evaluator? I must have missed those years;

5. He says he is not simply piling on after a bad loss, but that is exactly what he is doing and it was ONE bad loss. It is very similar to the loss to the Giants two years ago...the year they made the playoffs…won a playoff game on the road, and were one dropped INT from the NFC Championship game. ONE bad loss, Shappy. Gibbs II is on the verge of bringing the Skins to their second playoff appearance in three years and you want to cut him off at the knees? It’s a good thing Eisenhower was the Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces during Normandy. If it were you, we’d all be speaking German right now. Or, we could all read your story in the WaPo about the missed drop zones and the the tens of thousands of casualties and that IN YOUR OPINION it was time for a new Supreme Commander;

6. Finally, when he mocks Snyder as a "fan-boy" and makes fun of Six Flags’ stock price, Shapiro gives up the ghost. Shappy is just another envious, petulant Snyder hater who cannot stand that someone younger and smarter than him can have more money than him and own an NFL franchise. What a jerk.

Sorry SHAPIRO, I want Gibbs to stay because Gibbs gives this franchise the best chance of returning to glory. There aren't many franchises that can say they had two trips to the playoffs in the last three years. And, if Rogers held on to that interception in Seattle two years ago they would have played in the Super Bowl. And it ALL is due to Gibbs's leadership.

If you knew anything about how to run a business, you would not be a sports writer for the Post, so don’t talk about stock prices. And, if you knew anything about how to be a good manager, you would be one. Please write about the Ravens from now on.

I just thought I'd re-post my comment about Shapiro's petulant article and add bold type to the important parts above. I called it. Now, will Shapiro apologize to Gibbs?

Excellent bump, one of my fav's so far. Oh, and I really need to start using that ignore feature ;) I wonder if there is any way to auto-ignore all posters from a specific thread (i.e., JC-haters)... Oh then life would be grand :)

good read, thanks for posting.
Sadly, I agree with Shapiro.
Sorry but this is a fantastic article. I agree with almost all of it.
Shapiro's right, and it's about time people take off their rose-tinted glasses and see Gibbs for what he is. Sadly, it looks more and more like Gibbs would not have been so successful the first time around were it not for competent GMs like Beathard and Casserly.

You think the Skins who won 3 Super Bowls in the 80s didn't have to overcome injuries?

Wow what an awesome ON POINT article, for any idiot that doesn't like the read it's because the truth hurts. Maybe someone at Redskins Park will tape it to Gibbs office door, bathroom stall and windshield, and home front door. The man needs to walk away with some assemblance of grace left.
This writer has balls. Gibbs the second is basically worse than Norv Turner. I can bet that Norv will be taking his team to the playoffs. What has Gibbs done? Nothing. He's supposed to be an offensive guru, but it's our defense that's great. Credit goes to Gregg Williams, who actually knows how to coach.
I agree with just about everything in this article. Very insightful, objective piece.
I wish I had written this. Nicely done!
Let the season play out before we all gather torches and pitchforks.

Shapiro is just speculating based on a bunch of BS.

The only thing keeping us down is lack of execution on critical plays.

My only criticism is that Joe needs to encourage some "Mean" on this team.

Lets see what happens.

great article .
I was warning people about this when Gibbs was hired in 2004.

That was just the first page, anybody care to do the honors from page two ..

:silly::silly::silly:

shame on all of you! :mad: (except for doom44! well done!)

Archived