Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Whats Wrong With the 2008 Redskins"- post thoughts here.

AFskinsfan

JC is much more dynamic with his teammates than he is in press interviews. See him with Portis on Redskins' Players Club. He is funny, dynamic, he takes pride in what he does--he's a leader. Right now it's not his role to take over as "face of th redskins"--there are vets here who lead already. But he will be that guy soon, and it will show.

And I fully agree with this: you need look no farther than his undefeated senior season at Auburn when he was SEC offensive player of the year.

JC is much more dynamic with his teammates than he is in press interviews. See him with Portis on Redskins' Players Club. He is funny, dynamic, he takes pride in what he does--he's a leader. Right now it's not his role to take over as "face of th redskins"--there are vets here who lead already. But he will be that guy soon, and it will show.

And I fully agree with this: you need look no farther than his undefeated senior season at Auburn when he was SEC offensive player of the year.

was just going to mention the players club :D

you can not judge a guy by a interview specially when this is all knew to him. but his interaction with teammates is awsome. i have seen him in locker room interviews look more like a leader than say his post game interview. and when you see how he interacted on the players club you just know this guy is the elader of this team.

he reminds me so much of doug williams in this respect. doug williams never sounds like he would be a qb for a super bowl team.

But he shows he is a leader and won the right to play the playoffs that year and got us that trophie.

was just going to mention the players club :D

you can not judge a guy by a interview specially when this is all knew to him. but his interaction with teammates is awsome. i have seen him in locker room interviews look more like a leader than say his post game interview. and when you see how he interacted on the players club you just know this guy is the elader of this team.

he reminds me so much of doug williams in this respect. doug williams never sounds like he would be a qb for a super bowl team.

But he shows he is a leader and won the right to play the playoffs that year and got us that trophie.

Yeah but that was on a different level, the NFL or any step up in talent can be quite humbling.

I love JC, he may need to step up in leadership, but he'll find that when it comes. I agree with the one person that he's probably waiting till he proves himself some more, but if you're in the QB role, it's something to take note of. Our buddy up north, Eli, started exuberating a bit more confidence and becoming more of a vocal leader with the Gi'nts and I think that it's made a world of difference..

Yeah but that was on a different level, the NFL or any step up in talent can be quite humbling.

I love JC, he may need to step up in leadership, but he'll find that when it comes. I agree with the one person that he's probably waiting till he proves himself some more, but if you're in the QB role, it's something to take note of. Our buddy up north, Eli, started exuberating a bit more confidence and becoming more of a vocal leader with the Gi'nts and I think that it's made a world of difference..

• 1 year later...

Continuity breeds success in the NFL, point blank. We will never be successfull until we can maintain stability on offense. So for you people saying "Fire Zorn", or "start Brennan," are just ready to start the cycle over again. Unless you have a Proven Veteran qb such as Favre, you will not be a good offense if you are in a new offense with a new QB.

People will point to Flacco and say " he's in a new offense too!" but, the reality is, he went 10/21 134 yards with a td and a int last night. Those numbers are not impressive at all. It is proven time and time again, that continuity is the key to winning.

I was one of the people in the offseason who was outraged at the firing of Williams and Saunders. Maybe Saunders didn't have the best offense, but we had been in it for two years. I did not want to start all over again, and wait another three years to be good on offense again. Look at the successfull offenses around the NFL. They all have a key ingredient: Contrinuity. If they don't have continuity, they have a veteran quarterback who already knows most offensive schemes(Favre).

Look at Eli, this is his 4th or 5th year in that offense. Things are clicking for him. Peyton Manning has been in his offense forever as well. The fact is, if we would have kept Al Saunders scheme, we would have been better off. Campbell would at least be in year 3 of Saunders offense, and would not have ANY excuse as to why he is not producing.

We will NEVER have a good offense, unless we either, a)get a FA qb who is a veteran and can run any offense, or B) stick with Campbell and Zorn for 3 plus years and have Brennan as insurance. The ONLY reason Collins came in and did well, was because of continuity. He had been under Saunders forever, and could make reads so quickly. Now, Collins may do well under Zorn as well, because he has so much experience, but its unlikely.

To prove how important continuity is, look at our defense. We have been running a similiar scheme with similiar core players for the last 5 years. This is why our defense is good. If we can find the same continuity on offense, we will be good. This is not a pro-Campbell thread, because he might not be the answer. But WHOEVER the answer is, we need to stick with him for 3 plus years and stop changing qb's like underwear.

Thankfully, fans have no say in the running of a football team. There has been far, far too much invested in Jason Campbell for anyone in the Redskins FO to even consider finding a new quarterback, for a plethora of reasons. If anything, finding a new quarterback will be an admission of failure on Dan Snyder's and Vinny Cerrato's part. Firing Jim Zorn would as well.

If anything, this mid-season collapse should make us a better team next year. I believe that Jim Zorn and Jason Campbell both have that fire, that desire to be the best, and I believe that they both have been thoroughly embarrassed this year (repeatedly, on national television, mind you). I think Jason will spend the offseason working hard to build some chemistry with Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly, and I think that they will both be ready to start next year (as the game begins to "slow down for them," as it does for players entering their second year). I think that the two young receivers will both be driven by a lack of success this year to become better players, realizing that playing time and opportunities won't just be handed to them (as they perhaps may have figured, coming out as highly touted draft picks).

I think that Danny and Vinny will, in typical Redskins fashion, be very aggressive in fixing our offensive line. I think that Jim Zorn recognizes that it is our offensive line that is holding us back (if you listen/read to his press conferences, I think that this is abundantly clear), and I would be shocked if he didn't ensure that we draft an offensive lineman with out first round pick. It is his system that has looked so bad, and any man with an ego, let alone a head coach in the NFL, will do everything in his power to make himself look better.

Another offseason of working closely with Jason Campbell should do the offense wonders. Jason's work habits are well documented, and we will undoubtedly read this spring about how often he comes in to Redskins Park. Jim Zorn got the job because he felt that he could turn Jason Campbell into a probowl quarterback - there is a 0% chance that either of them are replaced next year.

So you'll get your continuity. Unfortunately, building a team requires the type of patience that, really, none of us truly have.

Totally disagree. The team was 6-2, is now 7-6. Continuity has nothing to do with this.

It comes down to poor coaching and lack of execution by the players. The team is playing soft and their appears to be no consequences for repeating the same boneheaded mistakes game in an game out.

Also, the playcalling has remained the same even as the O-line withers to dust. At some point you need to change things up a bit, and vary the calls a bit more from the o-so-predictable sceen & dink/dunk plays.

Hey, I'm all for 3 more years of mediocrity! Yeah, stay with JC for 3 more years but remember, you have to sign him to at least a 4 year contract at the end of next season if you want to continue watching our mediocre QB manage, not lead (only leaders can lead) this team. Also remember that Little Danny will have to pay him as a starter (BIG Bucks) which will affect the cap.

So yeah, go ahead and sign a still unproven and erratic QB to a long term contract and keep getting the same results, over and over again.

Thankfully, fans have no say in the running of a football team. .

Yes, but Snyder does. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of continuity. If we lose out, I would not be surprosed at all if he fired Zorn and brought in another offensive system, and we would be in the same boat next year.

Continuity is only a good thing if the right people are in place.

Exactly. I'm not saying the right people are in place. But, we need to find the right people and stick with them. Zorn and Campbell are the right people IMO, and we need to stick with them. Hell, If Campbell doesn't pan out, we will have Colt who will have absorbed the Offense by then.

the skins are the Raiders now. come on people, to fire zorn this early would be absord. The man has done a decent job as a head coach in his first year. Zorn does have room for improvement but Zorn will learn and understand max protection when your offensive line is weak. Putting a young receiver on Ir when a team is making a playoff push and bringing in a respectable veteran to stabilize the passing game.

I agree with your point. The problem is the offensive line and the running game were kept in tact for exactly this reason. The offensive line is the problem. We don't need continuity there. We need younger players that can pass protect. This line has been bad in protection since Gibbs 2.0.

Remember what happened when Al Saunders came in and wanted to run 4 receivers down the field with no help on blocking? 4 rushers consistently got to the QB.

I don't know if Campbell is the answer or not but I know enough NOT TO GIVE HIM a large contract. If he plays lights out next season with an upgraded offensive line then I think you have to franchise him for one more year to see where he takes you. If he sucks, you got ties and move on. And I don't necessarily think that you move on to Brennan...

Continuity has gotten this team where it is today. In the end, I don't think they have "IT".

• 2 weeks later...

Zorn should stay, true. You don't take a position coach and make him head coach and then give him only one year. However, I don't think Campbell is the right fit for the system and they should either trade him the offseason, or open up competition in camp next year. I don't think Collins can beat him in this system, but Brennan is an ideal QB for this system. Oh and yes, I am a JC supporter. If Gibbs was still here, I'd see him starting next year and being even better if we beef up that line. However, like Gibbs 1, Gibbs 2 saw the OL collapsing and got out while the getting was good.

The Redskins are just a blob of AVERAGE in everything they do. That is what is so deceptively deceiving about the organization and ultimately its down fall. They tease -- but don't close. And because they tease, they always think that they are better then they are. Think 6-2 start. (All games very close).

It happend the year after we went to the playoffs under Gibbs and Brunell the first time, (thinking we were only a couple of games away from the Super Bowl), only to win five games the next year. A malady that has also happened to the Wizards this year.

Bad planning for the future ultimately will catch up with you if you continue to make bad personell decisions and throw away draft picks for players that are over the hill. It also happens when you don't continuely refresh and rebuild your team with new talent -- particularly on your offensive and defensive lines.

The Wizards thought they were better then they were last year and made no moves in the off season. Yet teams like the Celtics, Atlanta, Cleveland and Toronto have dramatically improved -- and are younger. Remember Gilbert was pretty much a non-factor last year as well.

Likewise with the Skins, our division has gotten better and we have really remained average until December of last year when we surged under Collins. The bad news is that Dallas and the Giants are going to be good for the next few years. The Eagles are pretty set as well -- of course depending on what they ultimately decide with Donovan.

Here's the deal: Jason's performance thus far has been average at best. Vinny and our front office definately below average. Dan, average. Nothing wrong with average only unless, of course, you're a sports franchise. Being in the middle of the pack is the worst. It's like being in quicksand. Not bad. Not good. Slow death. Middle first round draft choice. Our Redskins it seems have been there for an eternity.

Danny and Vinny mean well. Like I said, they tease, but they don't finish. Danny will not want to give up power of the organization -- even if it means winning. His problem is that he is too comfortable with Vinny. Vinny has become his safety net -- his security blanket, and ultimately his downfall.

Marty alone would have probably turned this franchise around had Danny kept him, but Dan likes being involved -- and he has the right -- he shelled out $800 million to own the team. The problem is that we fans have to continue dealing with his stubborness and continued on the job training. Been rough hasn't it? Glimpses of joy. Yet, the constant has been Danny and Vinny aside from one year.

Of course, in the off season they will tease us again with some other "Big Splash" band aid. Personally to me, unless they make some dramatic changes in their front office, why should it change for us fans.

This organization undoubtedly is in need of a strong personality type to change it -- a root canal -- a Marty type personality or a Cowher type. The question with Danny is can he make a choice between deciding if he really wants to win or be involved in day to day activities. Not both. His downfall is that he thinks he can do both and is determined to do so. To him, it's probably more rewarding. To prove to us he can.

The other problem with Danny is his Jerry Jones fascination, someone he has a competitive rivalry with -- another meddlesome owner. If Jerry can do it, why can't I muses Mr. Danny Boy. However, let's examine this further.

When you think about it Bill Parcells is the guy most responsible for turning around the Cowboys -- not Jerry Jones. Remember they were terrible before he got there. Remember the prolonged Quincy Carter experiment -- sound familiar. As soon as he got there he jettisoned Carter, brought in Bledsoe and had Romo sits to pee as an understudy. Parcells is doing the same thing in Miami. Note, he brought in another solid veteren QB in Pennington.

And like Bill Parcells say's, "You are what your record is." That is why the Redskins organization is in such a need of two stars -- a star GM and a star QB. Something we have not had during Danny's regime. Like Jimmy Johnson say's, GM and QB are the two most important positions for starting a franchise. I agree with him. We've changed coaches and players, now it's time to make changes in the front office. We won't.

Will Jason ascend to stardom? I don't know. I'm increasingly having my doubts. Its not entirely because of Jason, but more because I don't think he's a West coast style quarterback and I think Zorn is trying to force fit him in a system that does not suit his strengths. Again, it's not Jason's fault. I do think Jason needs to get these last two games. However, if it's more of the same like the rest of this second half of the season has been, then next year should be an open competition. If not, then Zorn is digging his own grave -- and his own stubborness will be his own demise -- which I already think is happening.

It's the Redskins, so what else is new.

We had continuity under Norv. So, no thanks.

It takes a lot more than continuity.

I think Miami and Atlanta would both agree with your point. Continuity means nothing in the NFL unless you have the pieces in place that can keep you sustaining a high level for a long time.

The teams that come to mind are Indy, Pittsburgh, NE, NY Giants, etc...

what do all of them have in common :)

Echoing what everyone is saying

Continuity is from success. Keeping Marty would have been the "right" type of continuity.

There was success at the end of 2001 with the 8-3 finish

Keeping Spurrier would have been "bad" continuity. A 2-10 finish to the 2003 season

What do we have here? I am still not sure yet.

Archived