Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Whats Wrong With the 2008 Redskins"- post thoughts here.

AFskinsfan

Those bashing continuity are exactly right. The Redskins front office continually focuses on the back 7 on defense and skill positions on offense while continually doing a patchwork/quickfix job at the line of scrimmage. Of course, if you look at successful teams, they continually do the opposite. The Redskins front office then continually blames the coaching, while continually ignoring whoever is running things in the front office as far as team structure.

The sad thing is this continuity has sunk into the mindset of the Redskins fan base. All we need is coach "fill in the blank" and he can point us in the direction we need.(see Bill Cowher) All we need is player "fill in the blank" and we are Super Bowl bound(see Colt Brennan) All the while constantly ignoring the continuity of our front office. Which is the real problem.

Continuity can be a poison indeed, and one facet of the Redskins continuity has never changed.

We have the talent and were a few players from having consistency on both sides of the ball. Strengthen the OL/DL/LB and I think we'll make a strong move next season. We dont have to revamp the team. Zorn does need to add to the play book and JC needs to look to other weapons.

Hopefully we make the right Offseason moves.

Well here we are in the final two weeks of the season and the Redskins have taken their place at the bottom of the NFC East. The Euphoria from the beginning of the season about how good a player Jason Campbell is and the genius playcalling and coaching of Jim Zorn has all gone away. No longer are their boorish fans posting agressive messages on other team websites - always a classy move! The Skins have been exposed as the mediocre team that they are. Obviously they need help at Quarterback, defense, receiver, coaching, management. In short, it will be a long time before they make the playoffs in a division that has New York, Dallas, and Philadelphia because until some major changes are made they will always be behind these teams.

Well they always seem to beat the high and mighty cowboys so they can't be that bad. Why do you simple cowboy fans feel the need to come on our board and talk this crap. When your overrated, overhype team haven't won a fricking playoff game in 12 years. I tell you what win a damn playoff game then talk crap.

You really make yourself look stupid but then again you are a cowboy fan.

Well here we are in the final two weeks of the season and the Redskins have taken their place at the bottom of the NFC East. The Euphoria from the beginning of the season about how good a player Jason Campbell is and the genius playcalling and coaching of Jim Zorn has all gone away. No longer are their boorish fans posting agressive messages on other team websites - always a classy move! The Skins have been exposed as the mediocre team that they are. Obviously they need help at Quarterback, defense, receiver, coaching, management. In short, it will be a long time before they make the playoffs in a division that has New York, Dallas, and Philadelphia because until some major changes are made they will always be behind these teams.

Shouldn't you be trolling a Giants board instead? Oh whoops, I forgot it's hard to talk to somebody when there back is turned to you. :dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck

I think Zorn has to coach Campbell to be more aggressive. He worked so much on reworking the guy's mechanics (which I'll get to in a minute), it's time to work on his head. Beat it into him to push the ball and redefine what an "open receiver" is.

As for the mechanics, probably for every one of these OCs JC's had, he's probably had almost as many QB coaches. And I'm sure all of 'em had their own ways they wanted him to play. JC's mechanics have probably been twisted every which way but loose, cuz there have been too many cooks in the JC kitchen.

But I'm torn on Zorn. The way he handled things down the stretch here didn't inspire me with much confidence. He didn't seem to adjust, he didn't assert much authority it seemed. The season was going down the tubes and he seemed clueless as to what to do.

I think what the team needs is a leader of men. Less a schemer and brilliant play caller, but more somebody that gets the most out of the players, a motivator. Like Marty was that type, Cowher, Jimmy Johnson, Tomlin, Harbaugh, etc. Guys like Gruden, Dungy, Belicheck have that inherent gift of both. We don't need both, because clearly this team has focus issues. Their problem is mental more than talent, IMO. Because clearly, they're talented enough to be .500. If their heads were right, they'd have at least 2 more wins. Sometimes we act like they're 3-13.

I think if Zorn were strictly the OC and that's all he was responsible for, he'd probably be a whole lot better off.

Were better off then the Cowpukes.

We'll have a higher draft pick and we dont have TO. The Cowpukes will once again lose in the first round of the playoffs. WOO HOO something to brag about....idiots

Thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning. Nevermind the fact that Dallas has 9 draft picks and should be getting 2 more comp picks. How many picks does washington have again?

The team has no chemistry to glue things together and create synergy. The QB is so tepid in personality and passion he communicates a wimpness to this other players by body language alone. A fix is easy. Get rid of the sub-pars and primma-donnas and start a youth movement. An enema may be uncomfortable ... but it works wonders down the road.

The problems with this team start at the top. Ownership and management are awful. This team simply has less talent than most other teams. Our lines on both sides of the ball get manhandled by good teams, and then when our starters go down, we have absolutely nothing to replace them with. This is the 2nd year in a row that our Oline has been in complete shambles. Our d-line generates no pressure. Since Cornelius went down, we cant stop the run.

Continuity is great and we definitely need that, but firing the coach year after year stems from NOBODY being able to win with the subpar talent level that this team has. The defense has been really good all year, and Fletcher should have made the probowl, but we dont have anyone that opposing teams FEAR. We dont have anyone like Ed Reed, or Haynesworth, or Joey Porter that offenses have to gameplan around and account for on every play. On offense, we've spent so many picks and so much money on pass catchers and Portis, but we dont have a line to allow them to be effective. Maybe JC is the guy, maybe he isnt, but he'll never reach his potential with the protection he gets, because our front office totally and utterly neglects the o line.

Its easy to blame Zorn, but look at the position he was put in. He wasnt ready to be a HC yet. He signed on as OC and was then thrust into the head coaching job after Danny and Vinny completely botched the hiring process in what can only be described as an abortion. Has anyone EVER heard of a team hiring coordinators before hiring a HC? WTF? Who does that?

The Redskins are just a blob of AVERAGE in everything they do. That is what is so deceptively deceiving about the organization and ultimately its down fall. They tease -- but don't close. And because they tease, they always think that they are better then they are. Think 6-2 start. (All games very close).

It happend the year after we went to the playoffs under Gibbs and Brunell the first time, (thinking we were only a couple of games away from the Super Bowl), only to win five games the next year. A malady that has also happened to the Wizards this year.

Bad planning for the future ultimately will catch up with you if you continue to make bad personell decisions and throw away draft picks for players that are over the hill. It also happens when you don't continuely refresh and rebuild your team with new talent -- particularly on your offensive and defensive lines.

The Wizards thought they were better then they were last year and made no moves in the off season. Yet teams like the Celtics, Atlanta, Cleveland and Toronto have dramatically improved -- and are younger. Remember Gilbert was pretty much a non-factor last year as well.

Likewise with the Skins, our division has gotten better and we have really remained average until December of last year when we surged under Collins. The bad news is that Dallas and the Giants are going to be good for the next few years. The Eagles are pretty set as well -- of course depending on what they ultimately decide with Donovan.

Here's the deal: Jason's performance thus far has been average at best. Vinny and our front office definately below average. Dan, average. Nothing wrong with average only unless, of course, you're a sports franchise. Being in the middle of the pack is the worst. It's like being in quicksand. Not bad. Not good. Slow death. Middle first round draft choice. Our Redskins it seems have been there for an eternity.

Danny and Vinny mean well. Like I said, they tease, but they don't finish. Danny will not want to give up power of the organization -- even if it means winning. His problem is that he is too comfortable with Vinny. Vinny has become his safety net -- his security blanket, and ultimately his downfall.

Marty alone would have probably turned this franchise around had Danny kept him, but Dan likes being involved -- and he has the right -- he shelled out $800 million to own the team. The problem is that we fans have to continue dealing with his stubborness and continued on the job training. Been rough hasn't it? Glimpses of joy. Yet, the constant has been Danny and Vinny aside from one year.

Of course, in the off season they will tease us again with some other "Big Splash" band aid. Personally to me, unless they make some dramatic changes in their front office, why should it change for us fans.

This organization undoubtedly is in need of a strong personality type to change it -- a root canal -- a Marty type personality or a Cowher type. The question with Danny is can he make a choice between deciding if he really wants to win or be involved in day to day activities. Not both. His downfall is that he thinks he can do both and is determined to do so. To him, it's probably more rewarding. To prove to us he can.

The other problem with Danny is his Jerry Jones fascination, someone he has a competitive rivalry with -- another meddlesome owner. If Jerry can do it, why can't I muses Mr. Danny Boy. However, let's examine this further.

When you think about it Bill Parcells is the guy most responsible for turning around the Cowboys -- not Jerry Jones. Remember they were terrible before he got there. Remember the prolonged Quincy Carter experiment -- sound familiar. As soon as he got there he jettisoned Carter, brought in Bledsoe and had Romo sits to pee as an understudy. Parcells is doing the same thing in Miami. Note, he brought in another solid veteren QB in Pennington.

And like Bill Parcells say's, "You are what your record is." That is why the Redskins organization is in such a need of two stars -- a star GM and a star QB. Something we have not had during Danny's regime. Like Jimmy Johnson say's, GM and QB are the two most important positions for starting a franchise. I agree with him. We've changed coaches and players, now it's time to make changes in the front office. We won't.

Will Jason ascend to stardom? I don't know. I'm increasingly having my doubts. Its not entirely because of Jason, but more because I don't think he's a West coast style quarterback and I think Zorn is trying to force fit him in a system that does not suit his strengths. Again, it's not Jason's fault. I do think Jason needs to get these last two games. However, if it's more of the same like the rest of this second half of the season has been, then next year should be an open competition. If not, then Zorn is digging his own grave -- and his own stubborness will be his own demise -- which I already think is happening.

It's the Redskins, so what else is new.

Marty? He is the only coach I know that can finish 14-2 and still get fired. No, Marty is stupid. You don't go into a owners office, and put your feet on his desk. Plus, he has never won anything. When Synder wanted Moss, Marty wanted Gardner. Where is Gardner?

The problems with this team start at the top. Ownership and management are awful. This team simply has less talent than most other teams. Our lines on both sides of the ball get manhandled by good teams, and then when our starters go down, we have absolutely nothing to replace them with. This is the 2nd year in a row that our Oline has been in complete shambles. Our d-line generates no pressure. Since Cornelius went down, we cant stop the run.

Continuity is great and we definitely need that, but firing the coach year after year stems from NOBODY being able to win with the subpar talent level that this team has. The defense has been really good all year, and Fletcher should have made the probowl, but we dont have anyone that opposing teams FEAR. We dont have anyone like Ed Reed, or Haynesworth, or Joey Porter that offenses have to gameplan around and account for on every play. On offense, we've spent so many picks and so much money on pass catchers and Portis, but we dont have a line to allow them to be effective. Maybe JC is the guy, maybe he isnt, but he'll never reach his potential with the protection he gets, because our front office totally and utterly neglects the o line.

Its easy to blame Zorn, but look at the position he was put in. He wasnt ready to be a HC yet. He signed on as OC and was then thrust into the head coaching job after Danny and Vinny completely botched the hiring process in what can only be described as an abortion. Has anyone EVER heard of a team hiring coordinators before hiring a HC? WTF? Who does that?

Zorn didn't have to take the HC job. Are you serious? Synder didn't hold a gun to his head. Yes, the Cowboys had their OC before Wade Philips was hired. The Cowboys did that. Sure did.

QB's that had to learn a new playbook: Favre, Flacco, Ryan, Pennington, Campbell

I'd take any of those QB's over Campbell. This is a QB driven league, we have no driver.

My boss: "We have a new computer system in place that we will use for business management"

Me: "Give me 3 years to learn it, then I'll do a good job"

My former boss: "You're fired"

Campbell is a bust, and no one will admit (that has any decision making powers.) We need a QB to lead this team. Until then, 8-8, 7-9, 9-7; middle of the pack.

close this thread please, i rather a leader who backs it up with action instead of words.... and the guy is a coaches son, he is disciplined to the Nth degree, ask gibbs about him, nothing seems to shake this guy he is as calm and collective as they come.

Nothing seems to shake him into throwing many touchdown either. Maybe he has just accepted the fact that he will always be befuddled playing QB.

The last two weeks of the season are meaningless as far as how the year will play out for the team.

I anxious to see if this team likes or even respects Zorn enough to go out and lay it on the line for him.

It seems likely given Danny's history that if we are beaten the last two weeks he'll be in the market for a big splash this off-season.

Do the players on this team care? Will they go all out and try to win the last two so Zorn keeps his post?

At this point we can only hope let's take it a step further sure win for Zorn but how about winning for the countless fans that shovel out money to sit in them seats in that stadium . How about winning for yourselves . I guess we just have to find out.

Not a bad post. Jason is kind of quiet and not the emotional, get pumped-up leader type that London Fletcher is.

I don't think his teammates question his leadership (yet). But I do think that he could do a better job stepping up and taking charge when the team is in a situation that calls for leadership, i.e. the past few weeks with the must-win games...but the same was said of Eli early last season.

Archived