Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Whats Wrong With the 2008 Redskins"- post thoughts here.

AFskinsfan

Ok folks just a thought here. I just watched the Campbell/Jim Rome interview and I started thinking. Does he lead the huddle like he conducts an interview? First of all, I am not complaining one bit about JC, I love the guy and think he will soon be the franchise QB we've been looking for. I just cant get past the idea that his greatest quality may be creating a "flat" personality for the offense. Before you start going all "NNT" on me let me explain my theory.

The ability to perform under pressure earns respect from your peers. He's got the respect. However Respect alone does not a leader make. The single most important character trait for quality leadership is charisma. Hitler had charisma and not a lot of respect, but people followed him anyway. ( I know, bad example). Think about the people you have come across in your life that you felt were great leaders, were they so unemotional? JC acts like a freaking android sometimes. Yes, thats a great trait to have at times, but you cannot tell me that he is the emotional leader of the offense.

Fletcher is becoming the emotional leader of the defense. He's earned the respect of his peers by his play just like JC. The difference is that he gets the people around him fired up! JC just doesn't do that. He doesnt look like he's having fun anymore. The only person I ever see any emotion from on the offense is ARE. Is he he "emotional leader"? He is currently the best performing reciever we have right now. As much as I hate to say it Romo sits to pee looks like he is having fun and his players are inspired by that energy, they are getting excited right along with him. Unfortunantly they are winning because of it.

Dont get me wrong, I am not blaming JC's lack of emotion for our poor offensive performance, but just once, just once I would love to see JC get up after a sack and be pissed off and say "Ok MF'r you asked for it, Im bringin the rain!!!". I want to see him grap Moss's face mask in the huddle after a drop and tell him "keep your head up, your getting the ball next so you better make something happen!!" I want to see this kid jumping around and getting excited about playing a game that so many wish they could do. He is a great QB, he just needs to try and have some fun.

Am I totally wrong in this or was I just ranting along for no reason.

-Hail

Ok folks just a thought here. I just watched the Campbell/Jim Rome interview and I started thinking. Does he lead the huddle like he conducts an interview? First of all, I am not complaining one bit about JC, I love the guy and think he will soon be the franchise QB we've been looking for. I just cant get past the idea that his greatest quality may be creating a "flat" personality for the offense. Before you start going all "NNT" on me let me explain my theory.

The ability to perform under pressure earns respect from your peers. He's got the respect. However Respect alone does not a leader make. The single most important character trait for quality leadership is charisma. Hitler had charisma and not a lot of respect, but people followed him anyway. ( I know, bad example). Think about the people you have come across in your life that you felt were great leaders, were they so unemotional? JC acts like a freaking android sometimes. Yes, thats a great trait to have at times, but you cannot tell me that he is the emotional leader of the offense.

Fletcher is becoming the emotional leader of the defense. He's earned the respect of his peers by his play just like JC. The difference is that he gets the people around him fired up! JC just doesn't do that. He doesnt look like he's having fun anymore. The only person I ever see any emotion from on the offense is ARE. Is he he "emotional leader"? He is currently the best performing reciever we have right now. As much as I hate to say it Romo sits to pee looks like he is having fun and his players are inspired by that energy, they are getting excited right along with him. Unfortunantly they are winning because of it.

Dont get me wrong, I am not blaming JC's lack of emotion for our poor offensive performance, but just once, just once I would love to see JC get up after a sack and be pissed off and say "Ok MF'r you asked for it, Im bringin the rain!!!". I want to see him grap Moss's face mask in the huddle after a drop and tell him "keep your head up, your getting the ball next so you better make something happen!!" I want to see this kid jumping around and getting excited about playing a game that so many wish they could do. He is a great QB, he just needs to try and have some fun.

Am I totally wrong in this or was I just ranting along for no reason.

-Hail

close this thread please, i rather a leader who backs it up with action instead of words.... and the guy is a coaches son, he is disciplined to the Nth degree, ask gibbs about him, nothing seems to shake this guy he is as calm and collective as they come.

close this thread please, i rather a leader who backs it up with action instead of words.... and the guy is a coaches son, he is disciplined to the Nth degree, ask gibbs about him, nothing seems to shake this guy he is as calm and collective as they come.

There are leaders who lead with words and those who lead with actions We have seen his actions, If he shows poise and confidence i see that as a strength not a weekness. And don't know if you caught this but he was the first one to go up to Moss and talk to him when he was having a hard time. That looks like a leader to me.

There are leaders who lead with words and those who lead with actions We have seen his actions, If he shows poise and confidence i see that as a strength not a weekness. And don't know if you caught this but he was the first one to go up to Moss and talk to him when he was having a hard time. That looks like a leader to me.

but how come when clinton portis shows emotion, people say hes a distraction?

if clinton portis was on rome is burning and he talked about how bad the offense is doing, and how we cant block anyone, our playcalls sucks, most of you would be complaining about him.

but how come when clinton portis shows emotion, people say hes a distraction?

if clinton portis was on rome is burning and he talked about how bad the offense is doing, and how we cant block anyone, our playcalls sucks, most of you would be complaining about him.

I said that JC has gotten the respect from his peers by the quality of his play. That doesnt make him a leader though. Springs is a quality player, he performs at a high level and has the respect of his peers, but is he a leader?

I said that JC has gotten the respect from his peers by the quality of his play. That doesnt make him a leader though. Springs is a quality player, he performs at a high level and has the respect of his peers, but is he a leader?

are we talking about leadership quality at the Quarter back position? i thought leadership DEFINATELY starts there... if you dont have it there the offense is in bad shape bro. I rather have JC ease into the franchise QB position instead become some kind of NFL poster boy, hes a redskin for life and i hope he realizes there is NO rush to lead this team outside of taking his GAME to the next level

are we talking about leadership quality at the Quarter back position? i thought leadership DEFINATELY starts there... if you dont have it there the offense is in bad shape bro. I rather have JC ease into the franchise QB position instead become some kind of NFL poster boy, hes a redskin for life and i hope he realizes there is NO rush to lead this team outside of taking his GAME to the next level

I've been wondering the same thing myself. On the one hand most great teams have a qb that can obviously lead by example but can also set the emotional tone for a team by lighting a fire when necessary. P. Manning, Brady, Montana , Favre, Elway...all these guys are classic examples. While Clinton certainly talks a lot, I think Randle El might just be the most vocal leader we have on the offensive side of the ball. But can your #2 receiver really be that type of guy for your offense? I'm not so sure. Ideally, JC will take a more active role in leading by both example and words in the years to come as he matures and becomes more comfortable in his own shoes.

I've been wondering the same thing myself. On the one hand most great teams have a qb that can obviously lead by example but can also set the emotional tone for a team by lighting a fire when necessary. P. Manning, Brady, Montana , Favre, Elway...all these guys are classic examples. While Clinton certainly talks a lot, I think Randle El might just be the most vocal leader we have on the offensive side of the ball. But can your #2 receiver really be that type of guy for your offense? I'm not so sure. Ideally, JC will take a more active role in leading by both example and words in the years to come as he matures and becomes more comfortable in his own shoes.

the thing is, we don't know the tone that campbell has in the huddles on the field. he could be really charismatic when on the field, but in interviews just says what he needs to say, hence sounding kind of flat and boring. also, showing calmness and control when u are working in the hardest position on the football field helps other players become calm and confident. so even if his on-air persona is exactly the same as his game-time persona (which i don't think it is), then i don't think it would hinder any of the other players in any way.

the thing is, we don't know the tone that campbell has in the huddles on the field. he could be really charismatic when on the field, but in interviews just says what he needs to say, hence sounding kind of flat and boring. also, showing calmness and control when u are working in the hardest position on the football field helps other players become calm and confident. so even if his on-air persona is exactly the same as his game-time persona (which i don't think it is), then i don't think it would hinder any of the other players in any way.

JC is much more dynamic with his teammates than he is in press interviews. See him with Portis on Redskins' Players Club. He is funny, dynamic, he takes pride in what he does--he's a leader. Right now it's not his role to take over as "face of th redskins"--there are vets here who lead already. But he will be that guy soon, and it will show.

And I fully agree with this: you need look no farther than his undefeated senior season at Auburn when he was SEC offensive player of the year.

Archived