Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Trouble Brewing in Baltimore!

stwasm

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Sal Paolantonio of ESPN reports in the current SportsCenter loop that Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis had some choice words after Monday night's 27-20 loss to the Bengals.

Rushing out of the locker room following a game in which the Baltimore offense played poorly, Lewis told Paolantonio: "I can't have that. I can't have six turnovers. Not with this defense. I can't go back to that."

The offensive woes supposedly were fixed in Baltimore after coach Brian Billick jettisoned offensive coordinator Jim Fassel and took over the duties personally. And the offseason acquisition of running back Willis McGahee raised expectations, since McGahee was viewed as a clear upgrade over Jamal Lewis.

But the problem appears to be the lack of a solid offensive line -- and the loss of Tony Pashos and Edwin Mulitalo, two starters from a year ago, hurts the team's chances. With Jonathan Ogden limping off of the field early after aggravating a nagging toe injury, it might be even harder for quarterbacks Steve McNair and/or Kyle Boller to find enough time to get rid of the ball, or to remain in one complete, uninterrupted piece.

As to the Lewis arm injury, he told Paolantonio that he believes he suffered a torn triceps. Ravens doctors told Paolantonio that it's not the main triceps. An MRI will be conducted on Tuesday.

you can't ask more of a defense than what the Ravens did last night. Frankly they got a bit of home cooking from the refs, that offensive PI call against Heap was BS. That should have been a TD, sighs. Anyhow, I expect to hear about Leftwich being signed soon. Boller looked good until they got to the Goal Line, then he looked rattled.

The problem though is its not just the QB Position. Mason and Heap were the only ones making plays on offense in the Passing game, and the ravens completely abandoned the run in the last minute inside the goal line :/ the Ravens seriously need a Deep Wide Receiveing threat.

The problem though is its not just the QB Position. Mason and Heap were the only ones making plays on offense in the Passing game, and the ravens completely abandoned the run in the last minute inside the goal line :/ the Ravens seriously need a Deep Wide Receiveing threat.

No they need a good running attack. Great defenses + great running attack = superbowl.

you can't ask more of a defense than what the Ravens did last night. Frankly they got a bit of home cooking from the refs, that offensive PI call against Heap was BS. That should have been a TD, sighs. Anyhow, I expect to hear about Leftwich being signed soon. Boller looked good until they got to the Goal Line, then he looked rattled.
I wouldn't say that. Boller through the ball PERFECTLY to Heap and it bounced off his chest for an INT. Heap should have made that catch to tie the game. But I agree that his first catch should also have been a TD because that wasn't PI. Of course, that wasn't defensive holding later, either. The Ravens suck.

He's right in this case. The defense played an almost perfect game you can't ask for much more. The offense downright stinks.

It doesn't matter if he is right or not. You don't air team laundry. Can you imagine if Clinton Portis came out to the press and started ragging on Fred Smoot for playing poorly? It's damn bush league.

It doesn't matter if he is right or not. You don't air team laundry. Can you imagine if Clinton Portis came out to the press and started ragging on Fred Smoot for playing poorly? It's damn bush league.

Ray-Ray = Bush League. There has never been a bigger self promoter in the NFL than Ray-Ray.

Question is why was he was asked to throw the ball down there anyway. They signed a new running back give him the damn ball.

I could care less how the Ravens do but if that had been the Skins I would have been angry that we did not put the game in the hands of Portis/Betts and our O'line in that situation.

No surprise after a loss like that. The Ravens O line was getting pushed back in the passing game (although they seemed decent in the running game).

Ray Lewis...typical reaction. You win and lose as a team is not an option to this guy. Plus the team is downplaying his injury while he plays it up...interesting.

The Ravens are D-O-N-E done. The defense is old and slower. Ray-Ray himself is almost always a half-step late. Add to that his propensity for injury (looks lie a torn tricep, a serious injury for a ILB) and the departure of the best defensive player -- AD Thomas -- and you have the makings of a puffed up overrated D. On offense, they paid $40 million to a RB Buffalo couldn't get out the door fast enough. You know why? He doesn't run hard. Yes, he will have a few big games against poor defenses. But a defense that pops him in the mouth will shut him down. Does anyone think Cincy has a dominant D? How did McGahee fare against them? They will finish third in that division, ahead of only lowly Cleveland.

But the problem appears to be the lack of a solid offensive line -- and the loss of Tony Pashos and Edwin Mulitalo, two starters from a year ago, hurts the team's chances.

Obviously this is an incorrect assesment, since we all know that the Ravens Front Office has starting calibur depth across the offensive line. To see a drop off just doesn't happen to a team that drafts that well.

I don't think so. Didn't he throw that pass right at Heaps chest in which he dropped and got intercepted? I think the first pass to Heap was Boller too right?

The Ravens are D-O-N-E done. The defense is old and slower. Ray-Ray himself is almost always a half-step late. Add to that his propensity for injury (looks lie a torn tricep, a serious injury for a ILB) and the departure of the best defensive player -- AD Thomas -- and you have the makings of a puffed up overrated D. On offense, they paid $40 million to a RB Buffalo couldn't get out the door fast enough. You know why? He doesn't run hard. Yes, he will have a few big games against poor defenses. But a defense that pops him in the mouth will shut him down. Does anyone think Cincy has a dominant D? How did McGahee fare against them? They will finish third in that division, ahead of only lowly Cleveland.

Are you kidding? Baltimore's D played extremely well considering the abundance of turnovers and short drives. Didn't Baltimore have 6 drives in the first quarter?

I think all the offensive problems revolve around the offensive line. The Bengals were pumped up, and completely took over the Ravens oline, which limited Mcgahee and forced the mistakes from Mcnair. Mcgahee made some runs that Jamal Lewis would have never made.

I don't think so. Didn't he throw that pass right at Heaps chest in which he dropped and got intercepted? I think the first pass to Heap was Boller too right?

No, it hit Heap in the facemask because Boller threw it too early. Heap barely had time to get his head turned around when the ball hit him. And Boller badly underthrew what should have been a TD to wide open Darling right before that.

That being said it was a damn good showing by the Ravens defense considering the circumstances.

Obviously this is an incorrect assesment, since we all know that the Ravens Front Office has starting calibur depth across the offensive line. To see a drop off just doesn't happen to a team that drafts that well.

Took the words right out of my mouth. It is inconceivable that the Ravens could have any depth problems at any position. We know this because we are constantly told that Ozzie Newsome is a personnel wizard and drafts brilliantly, as opposed to the Redskins who are paper thin everywhere. Of course, every other NFL team but the Redskins has starter-level talent with all of their second-stringers. The difference with Baltimore (and the other elite drafting teams like the Eagles and Patriots and Steelers) is that the backups to their backups are starter quality, too.

So, there is no way that injuries could deter the Ravens. Even the guys Newsome pulls off the streets are Pro Bowlers-in-waiting.

:rolleyes:

Archived