Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No scores posted at FeEx Field?

E-Dog Night

Ahhhh, the voice of Phil Hochberg echoing throughout RFK on those old bull horn speakers was a sweet sound. I can still hear him today.

He'd announce the scores loud and clear and people would react accordingly.

There is no reason Kessler couldn't do it today. No reason, other than Danny$

I sound like such an old man, but having the scores announced is one thing that was way better back then.

While I didn't become a season ticket holder until Year 8 of FedEx Field, I did get to several games at RFK. And I agree that the atmosphere at RFK was, and will always be, MUCH, MUCH better than FedEx Field.

When I went to RFK, I watched a football game. At halftime, I saw a marching band. It might not have always been the Redskins marching band but it was a marching band. For the Cardinals game in 1989, Virginia Tech's finest, The Marching Virginians, performed at half time.

At RFK, we didn't mega-bass music with questionable lyrics blaring through the loudspeakers or some Spewak on the field screaming into a microphone like an idjit 20 minutes before kickoff trying to hype up the crowd. At RFK, the crowd was already hyped up; I'm sure we all remember "WE WANT DALLAS" in 1982. I'm sure that's why more people wait until the last minute to enter FedEx; it's not the football atmosphere we used to know and we get more of that tailgating in the parking lots.

At RFK, Phil Hochberg didn't have to tell us "The Washington Redskins are on defense" and "It's 3rd down and long for [insert opposing team]" ... the crowd was football knowledgeable. They knew when it was time to be quiet for the Redskins offense, and when it was time to get off their collective arses and scream when our defense was on the field. And everyone got up for those crucial defensive stands; rarely did anyone complain to people in front of them to sit down and be quiet.

What happened to those days? Perhaps it's because the team has made the playoffs only twice since moving to FedEx, hosting only one playoff game there.

Have people given up on the burgundy and gold? I spent 15 years on the waiting list, finally hitting pay at the same time as Gibbs II. Sure, I'm disappointed that things did not go nearly as well as Gibbs I ... but I'm still a fan: today, tomorrow and longer. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Last year, I knew someone who was giving serious thought to not renewing his lower lever tickets, six rows off the field on an aisle. I bought his and sold my upper level tickets; even with a 5-11 season, I was at all but one regular season game screaming and cheering. He renewed his tickets this season while I'm on the two year "Upgrade from Upper to Lower via Club Levels" plan.

I will not disagree with the opinions regarding current ownership because I believe The Squire would be turning over in his grave if he knew what had happened to his beloved Redskins. Our current owner is the same person who attended games at RFK during Gibbs I and is very familiar with the RFK. What a difference 20 years makes.

My apologies in advance for hijacking the thread with my rant. FedEx will never be RFK Stadium but the organization could make changes to their operations to bring back the aura of a true football atmosphere. Unfortunately, we have more distractions at our disposal that take away from it and people are spending the money for it.

I pledge that, for as long as I am a season ticket holder, to be quiet on offense, and stand up and make noise on defense.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Seems to me, almost all the so-called Redskins fans that don't care about scores are relatively young, with probably very little experience with the way things used to be in Redskins stadiums of the past -- back when making the playoffs were routine and back in the good ole days before Snyder arrived and took the scores away.

I just think it isnt worth fussing about. RFK was great. I miss that atmosphere. BUT IT AINT because of scores!

If you're that worried about other teams scores, stay home and watch in on the tube.

Im not against the scores, just cant imagine why anyone is worried about it. Bring a damn radio or cell.

I just think it isnt worth fussing about. RFK was great. I miss that atmosphere. BUT IT AINT because of scores!

If you're that worried about other teams scores, stay home and watch in on the tube.

Im not against the scores, just cant imagine why anyone is worried about it. Bring a damn radio or cell.

What you think and what you can't imagine are your business.

My opinion is my business.

Don't tell me to stay home, sonny.

While I didn't become a season ticket holder until Year 8 of FedEx Field, I did get to several games at RFK. And I agree that the atmosphere at RFK was, and will always be, MUCH, MUCH better than FedEx Field.

When I went to RFK, I watched a football game. At halftime, I saw a marching band. It might not have always been the Redskins marching band but it was a marching band. For the Cardinals game in 1989, Virginia Tech's finest, The Marching Virginians, performed at half time.

At RFK, we didn't mega-bass music with questionable lyrics blaring through the loudspeakers or some Spewak on the field screaming into a microphone like an idjit 20 minutes before kickoff trying to hype up the crowd. At RFK, the crowd was already hyped up; I'm sure we all remember "WE WANT DALLAS" in 1982. I'm sure that's why more people wait until the last minute to enter FedEx; it's not the football atmosphere we used to know and we get more of that tailgating in the parking lots.

At RFK, Phil Hochberg didn't have to tell us "The Washington Redskins are on defense" and "It's 3rd down and long for [insert opposing team]" ... the crowd was football knowledgeable. They knew when it was time to be quiet for the Redskins offense, and when it was time to get off their collective arses and scream when our defense was on the field. And everyone got up for those crucial defensive stands; rarely did anyone complain to people in front of them to sit down and be quiet.

What happened to those days? Perhaps it's because the team has made the playoffs only twice since moving to FedEx, hosting only one playoff game there.

Have people given up on the burgundy and gold? I spent 15 years on the waiting list, finally hitting pay at the same time as Gibbs II. Sure, I'm disappointed that things did not go nearly as well as Gibbs I ... but I'm still a fan: today, tomorrow and longer. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Last year, I knew someone who was giving serious thought to not renewing his lower lever tickets, six rows off the field on an aisle. I bought his and sold my upper level tickets; even with a 5-11 season, I was at all but one regular season game screaming and cheering. He renewed his tickets this season while I'm on the two year "Upgrade from Upper to Lower via Club Levels" plan.

I will not disagree with the opinions regarding current ownership because I believe The Squire would be turning over in his grave if he knew what had happened to his beloved Redskins. Our current owner is the same person who attended games at RFK during Gibbs I and is very familiar with the RFK. What a difference 20 years makes.

My apologies in advance for hijacking the thread with my rant. FedEx will never be RFK Stadium but the organization could make changes to their operations to bring back the aura of a true football atmosphere. Unfortunately, we have more distractions at our disposal that take away from it and people are spending the money for it.

I pledge that, for as long as I am a season ticket holder, to be quiet on offense, and stand up and make noise on defense.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Good Post. Those were the days, weren't they? I only made it to usually one game a year back then. $100 for a nosebleed in the endzone and I was happy as a clam in mud. And that was back when $100 was a lot of money.

One thing you left out though. The signs. There are scant few if any home made signs now, and I strongly suspect (911 concerns aside) it's because of all the marketing and advertising Snyder has up. There's nowhere to put them anymore.

I remember one particular season, somebody had hung a sign at RFK about three weeks before the Dallas game. It said "We Want Dallas."

The following week, I was watching the Cowboys game at Texas stadium on TV, and there was a sign: "The Redskins only THINK they want Dallas"

Next week, here's the sign at RFK: "We KNOW WE WANT DALLAS."

I know this sounds like a fable, like I'm making it up, but I swear on my mother's grave, this happened.

The next week, we hosted Dallas and won. Of course.

These days, the Redskins stadium looks more like a shopping mall or a car dealership -- and less like a home town gathering of extreme fans.

Shame on you, Dan Snyder.

Good Post. Those were the days, weren't they? I only made it to usually one game a year back then. $100 for a nosebleed in the endzone and I was happy as a clam in mud. And that was back when $100 was a lot of money.

One thing you left out though. The signs. There are scant few if any home made signs now, and I strongly suspect (911 concerns aside) it's because of all the marketing and advertising Snyder has up. There's nowhere to put them anymore.

I remember one particular season, somebody had hung a sign at RFK about three weeks before the Dallas game. It said "We Want Dallas."

The following week, I was watching the Cowboys game at Texas stadium on TV, and there was a sign: "The Redskins only THINK they want Dallas"

I know this sounds like a fable, like I'm making it up, but I swear on my mother's grave, this happened.

These days, the Redskins stadium looks more like a shopping mall or a car dealership -- and less like a home town gathering of extreme fans.

Great story! We didn't need no stinkin' Jumbotron either!

Well, on a fun note,, two years ago when we played the Giants, there was a nice banner in Fed Ex that read "Shockey loves the ****ey"

I managed to isolate it off the TV in a still image, but it's too blurry to read. But there it was, big as life., and I was laughing my head off.

~Bang

I am surprised by all the people who argue AGAINST having scores posted, who tell people to stay home if they don't like it. What's up with that?

The out of town scoreboard is a long standing, routine, no cost courtesy for fans at almost every sporting event and venue. Football does it. So does baseball, basketball, and hockey. It is so commonplace that fans have come to expect it. And at FedEx, its been taken away, unless you're lucky enough to be watching when it flashes across the screen for 20 seconds at halftime.

I pity those people who argue that their brains are too undeveloped to manage the task of rooting for the Redskins AND comprehending scores from other games. It must be very hard for you getting along in the big, scary, complex world we live in.

The Sports Reporters have asked Karl Swanson about this every year and his response is always the same. It's something to the tune of "We run the out of town scores at least once a quarter on the video boards located on the bottom of the club level near the endzones, and again on the large video board in the endzones at halftime".

Just b/c the scores run only a few times a game at a very fast pace while play is in motion on the field in front of you, doesn't mean that they don't run at all.

Displaying scores consumes time, space and audio that can be used for more productive purposes such as advertisement, and that's the bottom line here folks.

If you you want a consistant display of out of town scores to be a part of your gameday experience, you will need to purchase a Kangaroo TV, or start going to more road games.

while i understand and agree with you, it just seems to me that there is no shortage of avenues through which the team can use profitable advertising.

If you have the ability to display scores from around the league frequently, why not do it? Other games on the slate do affect the Redskins...and not only fans of other teams, but SKINS fans may be interested to know what the rest of the league is up to as it pertains to our favorite team.

it just seems to me that there is no shortage of avenues through which the team can use profitable advertising.

If you have the ability to display scores from around the league frequently, why not do it? Other games on the slate do affect the Redskins...and not only fans of other teams, but SKINS fans may be interested to know what the rest of the league is up to as it pertains to our favorite team.

When it comes to advertising revenues, this organization under Snyder has proven that there is no such thing as too much.

I pity those people who argue that their brains are too undeveloped to manage the task of rooting for the Redskins AND comprehending scores from other games. It must be very hard for you getting along in the big, scary, complex world we live in.

It's not a matter of an underdeveloped brain, Dan. It's a matter that some of us don't follow the NFL or football in general. For some of us the game of football begins and ends with the Washington Redskins. Nothing else matters and doesn't even enter our minds.

while i understand and agree with you, it just seems to me that there is no shortage of avenues through which the team can use profitable advertising.

If you have the ability to display scores from around the league frequently, why not do it?

Well if you agree with me then why are you asking why?

I'm not saying I agree with Snyder's decision not to show more out of town scores in favor of advertisements, but I can see why advertising takes priority to him.

It's not like this in other NFL venues I've visited, but I've accepted it as part of this ownerships desire to make a profit before giving the fans something they once had for free.

:2cents:

Winning makes suckers like me forget about the lacking amenities in Raljon.

It's not a matter of an underdeveloped brain, Dan. It's a matter that some of us don't follow the NFL or football in general. For some of us the game of football begins and ends with the Washington Redskins. Nothing else matters and doesn't even enter our minds.

Mass, no offense, and I know you and I have already concluded our discussion on this, but it seems to me the term "casual fan", as in casual Redskins fan, would apply to you. Fair?

I'm not saying I agree with Snyder's decision not to show more out of town scores in favor of advertisements, but I can see why advertising takes priority to him.

It's not like this in other NFL venues I've visited, but I've accepted it as part of this ownerships desire to make a profit before giving the fans something they once had for free.

:2cents:

It certainly appears that way. But I'm not quite totally convinced. I mean, Kangaroo TV didn't exist pre-2006, so what was the reason Snyder kept the scores from us? Yes, they appeared, but we all know they didn't scroll like they did pre-Snyder. What exactly is the reason for that? Why would he do that? I just don't understand what purpose is served by hiding the scores.

Now that Kangaroo TV is here, we can assume the reason is Kangaroo TV. But since the problem has existed since early on when Snyder took over, I'm not absolutely convinced Kangaroo TV is the reason.

Maybe he couldn't think of a way to profit from it (keeping the scores from us) at the time, but he thought something would eventually come along? He didn't like the idea of giving us something for free, so he took it away from us, and waited. He waited for something to come along which would allow him to make money.

Could that be it?

Archived