Extremeskins

Curious philosophy revealed with cuts

E-Dog Night

Alexander or Boschetti  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Alexander or Boschetti

• Alexander
    • Boschetti

But this does kinda beg the question..If GW's stance during the draft was that we're fine with what we have on DL, and now we don't still have them, are we still fine? I'm all for the youth movement, but what about all of the pre-draft hype that we're happy with what we got?

I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

Last I checked all of our starters on the DL were on our roster last year.

It's not very curious. Lamar Marhsall is getting up there and doesn't defend the run well. Randall Godfrey is a proven LB who has experience in the Gregg Williams system. Looks to me like we upgraded. We have solid depth at LB, especially with H.B. Blades looking like a seasoned veteran. At DL, yes we lack talent, but we make up for it in heart. Golston, Montgomery, Carter, and Griffin provide run-stopping ability and passion, and Alexander and Wilson are guys to develop. I think our philosophy is fine.

The coaches have come to a realization that we have some young guys that can be coached up. The older guys were on their way out. We have a relatively young offense, a young QB, a pair of young Safeties and some young-ish corners.

This is the way to go, let the team grow together and well, win it all together. Cant win a fashion show with a patchwork dress, and they have learned too that you cannot win a superbowl with a patchwork team.

Well, the combination of Washington's injury, Godfrey agreeing to sign, Marshall's subpar play and the development of HB Blades (I think he was playing OLB with the starters in the Ravens game), Marshall's days were numbered.

Saleve'a's exit was also logical. Everything jives with what Williams said, because all the guys who did make the team were on the roster when he said that. (Alexander was on the PS last year) It was just that everyone developed enough that big Joe wasn't needed anymore.

The Wynn move is a bit curious in my eyes. I do think they are lacking depth at end and I'm not sure what they are planning on doing about that, especially if someone gets hurt. I'll be interested to see how that works out in the next few weeks.

Jason

does anyone feel comfortable with Torrence Leigh covering Terry Glenn or T.O. this season? Who the heck is Torrence Leigh?

And as far as the defensive line goes, I am baffled. Montgomery has the potential to be a stud with a little more experience and perhaps another 10 pounds. He could end up an immovable object. Goldston has already earned my respect. So with Griffin and those 2 we were pretty much set at tackle as long as we had Big Joe to help stuff the run or Wynn to fill in on passing downs occasionally at tackle. But now we cut Big Joe and Wynn and we are left with Ryan Boschetti, who I just can't help to ignore because he is just a warm body. Next year he will be cut and some other new guy will take his place. Wasn't Boschetti healthy and playing last season when Ticki Barber was busy running for 200 yards against the Redskins.

Unless you have somebody better, Joe or Wynn should not be cut, and Ryan is not better in my opinion. If we are trying to generate a pass rush, we haven't done it.:dallasuck At least not with these moves.

Agreed. Weird decision to cut a guy like Marshall who has been a mainstay in Williams defense for two years now. Strange that he not even be given a chance to come of the bench and contribute. Renaldo Wynn I can understand and Salavea too. Those guys are getting up there in age.

But this does kinda beg the question..If GW's stance during the draft was that we're fine with what we have on DL, and now we don't still have them, are we still fine? I'm all for the youth movement, but what about all of the pre-draft hype that we're happy with what we got?
Maybe we, as the fans, didn't know what we were talking about. I believe the coachs have said our problem last year was our secondary and not the line.

During the draft and leading up to it, I was sure we needed Branch. I guess I should have listened.

Bloody Hell! I guess a change in philosophy at Redskins park is a bad thing. Countless people complained that we were too old and we did not have enough youth. Now we are too young with not enough experience. I guess the boys at Redskins park can't do anything right.

The old guys aren't going to get any better. At best they would not deteriorate.

The young guys only needed to put in the effort to show they could improve and right there a sensible FO would be keeping them.

We haven't let any superstars go. We've let journeymen go. Some of our young backups will only ever be journeymen if that. However come next draft time we may have filled an area of need with a few of these guys.

Think on this 2 years down the road. Draft time will be all about BPA with every pick and our team will have a good number of young, hungry and cheap players. At this point we can then compete in the FA market for the superstar players without it affecting us in who we can/can't resign etc.

On top of this is the well known fact that if you don't give the youngsters a chance they won't prove jack. Give them a chance and you may well be surprised with what you see. H B Blades looks like he can start now. Sure he's gonna make mistakes but he is a 6th round draft pick, he's got no right looking this good this early. He does though ;)

E-Dog, a couple of points about your interesting post:

If Dan Snyder is serious about his goal of challenging for the Super Bowl every year, he's talking dynasty. The Gibbs roster-building strategy wasn't going to get us there. We spent too much in free agency and paid too much in trades for veteran players. So, now we're on a new plan.

If we're going to build a deep roster for the future, we have to seize the opportunities when they present themselves. If a rookie shows promise, we dump the veteran backup at that position. When we stop doing that, we start aging. That's the only way to build and maintain an elite roster.

If Joe had made no trades, kept our draft picks, and looked for a few bargains in free agency since coming back, we'd be closer to the goal now.

Well, the final roster isn't set quite yet. Could be that we have a couple of young guys we didn't want to risk exposing to the waiver wire. They could be moved to the practice squad today, making room to bring back, a Wynn, or a Jimoh, etc.

Let's see what happens. Joe Gibbs is just following the same plan he came out of retirement with. Building the Redskins back into a contender.

I think Blades basicly out played Marshel. Thats why he was cut and Marshell simply missed to many tackles. Wilson on the team basicly to backup for Wash on 3rd down passing plays.

They have already been forced to use Wash on passing plays as a pass rusher because none the regular DE get much preasure. So if Wash goes down they have at least someone who can replace him in that roll.

I doubt Wilson will ever be a everydown DE even if half D line went down they would look to FA most likely. While Wilson shows great speed and quickness he is undersized. Many if he bulks up in next offseason without losing his speed.

Wynn (3rd DE) and big Joe (4th DT) were back ups and the wrong side of thirty in one breath the fans are shouting about the team is too old and when the FO office does try and get younger the same fans are shouting how could we have cut such valuble backups ?

In a way I do agree that Wynn raises the eyebrows a little as he was backing up DT and DE but Evans is a younger version of him and Daniels is taking a similar role moving inside on third downs and in the nickle package allowing Washington or Wilson to come in as a pass rusher and I think can offer more.

Marshell was part of the problem last year on defence. He was playing hurt last year but when one of the first things the FO does is bring in a top quality starter in Fletcher at your possition your days may be numbered . If then in the offseason you get outplayed by a second year guy, a special teams player and a couple of rookies then theres the door... He was quality backup but there are younger and faster players in the same place he was three years ago.

Big Joe...It had to happen sometimes..I agree Boschetti has never really stood out but Joe was going the wrong way on the depth chart ....Maybe this was a year to soon but time will tell. At least when the team knew it was going in a different direction they gave him more time to find a team to sign on with

My only question is that if the plan was to get younger along the line all along, then why not draft a d lineman who has more of a chance of having an impact this year? I guess if Montgomery and Wilson pan out this year it will be a mute point.

Good point.

btw- It's "moot." M-o-o-t. Not mute.

The goal this year was to get to a "faster" D.

We were sluggish last year...

maybe we were "out of position" because we lacked the speed to recover properly.

I'm betting the young guys we kept make us faster.

There's also a chance that they're "stronger" and have more stamina and are

less injury prone.

While they lack some "experience", Evans has been around and Alexander spent

an entire year practicing with the team.

I think we just write this up as the unfortunate part of keeping pace in the NFL.

My only question is that if the plan was to get younger along the line all along, then why not draft a d lineman who has more of a chance of having an impact this year? I guess if Montgomery and Wilson pan out this year it will be a mute point.

Drafting strictly for need isn't smart. If the Skins had a DE ranked as highly as Landry, they would have been stupid to pass on him whether he was a need or not. I think they took the player who had the best chance to become an elite pro.

Joe Gibbs is just following the same plan he came out of retirement with. Building the Redskins back into a contender.
That's a goal not a plan.

Compromise: It's a planned goal. ;)

If Joe had made no trades, kept our draft picks, and looked for a few bargains in free agency since coming back, we'd be closer to the goal now.

That's an opinion, not a fact. :silly:

No I think that the staff was happy with the prospects we already had. Yes Wilson was added at DE but he probably just beat out RW and they made the move. It is clear to me that the staff was not happy with the players or results we had last year so the statement that GW was fine with what we had reflected more on where he was going then where we were last year.

And while Evans and Monty starting may scare some I think it just shows the confidence they have in the young players on the team. Golston is now about to see a big increase in playing time.

How else do you improve the play of the 31st rank D? Hope that the same players yeild different results or make changes?

Archived