Extremeskins

Curious philosophy revealed with cuts

E-Dog Night

Alexander or Boschetti  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Alexander or Boschetti

• Alexander
    • Boschetti

This is great and I can't believe everyone doesn't see it that way. The Oakland Raiders had the potential for the best draft last year. They ended up with 11 picks and most of the picks were #1 in the round. When they cut down to 53, they released 5 of 11 draft picks, including their 3rd round DE Quentin Moses. When you include J. Russell in the mix with their holdout, they have the same number of rookies on their active roster as the Redskins.

http://redskins.com/news/APNewsDetail.jsp?id=27353

So now the Redskins draft doesn't look so bad, the front office gets some credibility, and the team gets younger with guys who beat out the veterans.

It hurts a little to see the guys go, but Joe has been repeating over and over everytime he has been asked about the cuts, "I just have to look at it this way, it is for the good of the team".

the Redskins were able to release the veteran players they did because the depth and talent is better now than it has been in the past.

Blades showed he had the quickness to play on the outside as a backup and that pretty much sealed Marshall's fate behind Rocky. On the other side, Marshall clearly wasn't going to be able to back up Marcus at strongside, a position where you typically take on the tight ends at 227. When the Redskins signed Randall Godfrey, late of San Diego, Marshall was no longer in the team's plans.

On the defensive line the Redskins are finally headed in the right direction in the 4-3. Grab faster DEs like a Chris Wilson and bigger DTs that can force the run like Golston and Montgomery and work them in over time. I don't know how good Lorenzo Alexander is or is going to be but he evidently showed the coaches enough for them to keep him and let Joe Salavea go to another team.

Now, why the team kept Ryan Boschetti is anyone's guess. I have never been that high on him. Seems he is on the 53 man bubble every year and like Jimoh always made it by a hair's breath.

Wynn is a bit harder to figure out. He can still play. I think the coaches admit that. But it's a case of having to let someone go at another position in order to keep #97 that I think got him in the end.

The DL has some questions, guys having to prove themselves, but there is great versatility in that most of the players can play multiple positions and that allowed the Redskins to carry fewer DL.

Overall, though, the release of these veteran players including Stoutmire to me indicates the talent level has increased from 2006 and that it is precisely the younger and/or cheaper players we have been waiting for that are starting to come through.

Well I think the one thing we got out of it is that, contrary to what they claimed the whole time, they WERENT ok with the same guys last year playing on the DLine. They cut two of them. They said they didnt need to go out and get anybody, well they did, two replacements(they just didnt get them in FA or through high draft picks).

exactly.

Bloody Hell! I guess a change in philosophy at Redskins park is a bad thing. Countless people complained that we were too old and we did not have enough youth. Now we are too young with not enough experience. I guess the boys at Redskins park can't do anything right.

its not that we're complaining. We're just saying that its nice to see GW agreeing to what we've been saying all along. Maybe if he'd have come to this realization in say April we could've had some better talent along the DL. BUt I digress.

This is great and I can't believe everyone doesn't see it that way. The Oakland Raiders had the potential for the best draft last year. They ended up with 11 picks and most of the picks were #1 in the round. When they cut down to 53, they released 5 of 11 draft picks, including their 3rd round DE Quentin Moses. When you include J. Russell in the mix with their holdout, they have the same number of rookies on their active roster as the Redskins.

Wait a few years before you pass judgment. It's not just the number of rookies who make the roster. It's the quality. Besides, you are comparing our FO to the worst in the NFL in recent years.

I kinda saw some of this coming. Maybe a youth movement by GW or maybe an early salary cap move by the FO for next year? Maybe a little of both. Nobody else that we can cut with big salaries unless we get rid of some starters. We're going to need some cap space for next year's draft. As for GW, IMO he thinks anyone is replaceable. Remember a guy named Pierce.

Yeah though playing off of that Pierce was undrafted, so was Lemar Marshall, if I recall might be wrong so was Ryan Clark. These "nobodys" sometimes can become "somebodys" so maybe they see things with players like Wilson and expect them to be better than Wynn.

The Oakland Raiders had the potential for the best draft last year. They ended up with 11 picks and most of the picks were #1 in the round. When they cut down to 53, they released 5 of 11 draft picks, including their 3rd round DE Quentin Moses. When you include J. Russell in the mix with their holdout, they have the same number of rookies on their active roster as the Redskins.

Oakland had the first overall pick in the draft because they were the worst team in football. They kept a lot of rookies because they didn't have much talent on their team to begin with.

The fact that we kept a lot of young guys could be just as much an indictment of our talent as it could be saying that we drafted well. Just because we cut Wynn and Salave'a doesn't mean that we've got young guys who are better than them either - it could mean that they eventually will be as good as or better than they are, and are much cheaper right now.

Most of all, it tells me that we weren't as talented last year as a lot of people like to think.

One other thing that I find curious: We cut all of these vets and sign Cooley to an extension. How much of a part in their release did money play? Was it more in play than their talent or lack of?

A lot of these questions will be answered and I hope it will be in a positive way.

Definitely a bit of a youth movement going on here. It's cyclic and not that uncommon I don't think. In this case, it's probably time to let the younger guys play. The vets came in and did their job and did it well. They provided experience and good play while helping to guide the younger players. Now it's time to get those players out there. Let them play.

its not that we're complaining. We're just saying that its nice to see GW agreeing to what we've been saying all along. Maybe if he'd have come to this realization in say April we could've had some better talent along the DL. BUt I digress.

What makes you think he didn't? As I said before, all of the players who made the team were on the roster in April. They knew what potential they had on the roster and they probably knew that if the young talent played well, that the vets could be beaten out.

Jason

I see what you're saying, but I look at it a tad bit differently.

We started to get old on our DL. We finally have some good, young kids who show a lot of promise. With the vets, we know what we're going to get - nothing great, nothing terrible; somewhere in between. With the youth, the spectrum is wide open. The only way we're going to find out if our young guys can play is if they actually get some playing time. The chance of our entire DL getting hurt at the same time is slim. The chance of a player getting hurt is obviously not; but I would much rather see what a Montgomery, Evans, Wilson can do if one of our starters goes down than seeing wynn or big joe in there.

Don't get me wrong; I LOVED Big Joe and Renaldo. But I loved them because of the persons they are; not because of their play. Based on the moves, I believe the Redskins organization felt the sameway.

Also, I think its refreshing to see that Gibbs is willing to cut "true Redskins" in order to better the team. Its another sign that Gibbs is willing to do whatever it takes to win - even put personal feelings on the side.

Archived