Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs: Chance to be the best NFL coach of all time?

ceviker

Hey guys,

Sitting here wondering about something. If Joe Gibbs wins another Super Bowl, will he go down in history as the best coach ever?

I know that is a very bold statement, but think about it. He's already a HOF coach. What he did in the 80s/early 90s was unbelievable. 3 super bowls, 3 different quaterbacks. If he wins one more, he will have won 4 Super Bowls, with 4 different QBs, in 2 COMPLETLY different eras. IMO, that would make him the greatest coach ever in the NFL.

Thoughts?

Not the best ever IMO, but certainly one of the best. The guy's in the HOF for a reason.

You'd have to put someone above him. Parcells, Vermeil, Jimmy Johnson - none of those guys can match 4 super bowls with 4 quarterbacks. Even Lombardi can't - but of course Lombardi will always be a legend.

If not THE best, you could only put Lombardi above Gibbs. That's the only position for which you could possibly make a valid argument that Gibbs isn't the best coach ever if he wins another SB.

Not the best ever IMO, but certainly one of the best. The guy's in the HOF for a reason.

I agree. He should be a top 10 coach on EVERYONE's List and a top 5 for most. IMO, Bellycheck is the best NFL coach of all time up until now. If Gibbs had never made a comeback, he would have had a much stronger argument to be THE best. However, his failure (up until now) has tarnished his image, no matter how much people hate to admit it.

Al Saunders runs the offense, Gregg Williams runs the Defense. Joe Gibbs gave up draft picks to bring in Brunell. No, I don't think so. Even if we do win a superbowl with him on the coaching staff. He was a great coach... 20 years ago. He will always be remembered as a great coach. But right now he's not much more than a figurehead. He brings a modicum of respectability and class to a franchise that had otherwise lost its direction entirely, but as far as his football mind is concerned it's not doing us much good.

I don't think another Super Bowl win with yet another QB will make him the best of all time.... But it *will* make him the best of the Super Bowl era!!! As others have said, there are some legendary coaches from prior to the SB era (and the early years of that era) that Gibbs will never dethrone.

Now, I do have a scenario that will definitely enshrine Gibbs as Lombardi's equal..... If something (GOD FORBID) happens to Campbell this year, and we go the rest of the way and win the SB with Brunell, then Gibbs will definitely deserve to be placed on a pedestal right beside Lombardi!

Now, I do have a scenario that will definitely enshrine Gibbs as Lombardi's equal..... If something (GOD FORBID) happens to Campbell this year, and we go the rest of the way and win the SB with Brunell, then Gibbs will definitely deserve to be placed on a pedestal right beside Lombardi!

If that happened, forget his coaching legacy. That would be the miracle required by the Church to elevate him to sainthood.

I remember Dallas fans saying a couple years back that if Gibbs won another Super Bowl he would be up there at the top of the list w/ Parcells ;) I forget which Boys fan said that, but it was one of our resident members -- Now I think they're going w/ a more "Landry friendly" argument.

But I think if Gibbs was able to win SuperBowls in two different eras, that would definitely set him apart from the rest in my opinion, if he hasn't already separated himself from the pack by winning with 3 different quarterbacks.

Are you guys crazy? Gibbs already top-five hands down. People keep saying "Top Ten" or "Up there", but who the hell is above him? That guy from New England? I want to see his record WITHOUT Brady and see what he did. Oh, that's right, nothing. It's pretty easy to have the second coming of Montana on your team and win. In fact, it's pretty HARD not to. Parcells? Yeah, right. Walsh? You've got an argument. Lombardi? The trophy's named after him for a reason.

But THREE Super Bowls with THREE different quarterbacks and THREE different running backs, and if he wins again, FOUR of each? He took castoffs and no-namers and won those games, not Tom effing Brady or Terry Bradshaw. THAT is coaching. He got his guys for his system, not just the All-Madden team.

You guys need to think before you type.

Are you guys crazy? Gibbs already top-five hands down. People keep saying "Top Ten" or "Up there", but who the hell is above him?

If you care to debate NewCliche's point, here's a starting point. . .

Gibbs is one of 21 coaches in the Hall of Fame:

George Allen 1966-1977

Paul Brown 1946-1962

Guy Chamberlin # 1922-1927

Jimmy Conzelman # 1921-30, 1940-42, 1946-48

Weeb Ewbank 1954-1973

Ray Flaherty # 1936-1949

Joe Gibbs 1981-1992

Sid Gillman 1955-1969, 1971-1974

Bud Grant 1967-1983, 1985

George Halas # 1920-29, 1933-42, 1946-67

Earl (Curly) Lambeau # 1919-1953

Tom Landry 1960-1988

Marv Levy 1978-1982, 1986-1997

Vince Lombardi 1959-1967, 1969

John Madden 1969-1978

Earle (Greasy) Neale 1941-1950

Chuck Noll 1969-1991

Steve Owen # 1930-1953

Don Shula 1963-1995

Hank Stram 1960-1974, 1976-1977

Bill Walsh 1979-1988

If you care to debate NewCliche's point, here's a starting point. . .

Gibbs is one of 21 coaches in the Hall of Fame:

George Allen 1966-1977

Paul Brown 1946-1962

Guy Chamberlin # 1922-1927

Jimmy Conzelman # 1921-30, 1940-42, 1946-48

Weeb Ewbank 1954-1973

Ray Flaherty # 1936-1949

Joe Gibbs 1981-1992

Sid Gillman 1955-1969, 1971-1974

Bud Grant 1967-1983, 1985

George Halas # 1920-29, 1933-42, 1946-67

Earl (Curly) Lambeau # 1919-1953

Tom Landry 1960-1988

Marv Levy 1978-1982, 1986-1997

Vince Lombardi 1959-1967, 1969

John Madden 1969-1978

Earle (Greasy) Neale 1941-1950

Chuck Noll 1969-1991

Steve Owen # 1930-1953

Don Shula 1963-1995

Hank Stram 1960-1974, 1976-1977

Bill Walsh 1979-1988

Thanks for posting this. I think if you are going to debate the order, you would need to break it down in to eras. You wouldn't necessarily compare Curly Lambeau to Bill Walsh. Two completely different eras and a completely different game with different athletes.

Al Saunders runs the offense, Gregg Williams runs the Defense. Joe Gibbs gave up draft picks to bring in Brunell. No, I don't think so. Even if we do win a superbowl with him on the coaching staff. He was a great coach... 20 years ago. He will always be remembered as a great coach. But right now he's not much more than a figurehead. He brings a modicum of respectability and class to a franchise that had otherwise lost its direction entirely, but as far as his football mind is concerned it's not doing us much good.

Well if Super Bowls don't make you a great coach, I don't know what does.

I'm surprised you actually think this stuff.

Yes he will. I think everyone knows that though. He'll already go down as top 5 coaches of all time. Another super bowl, and only Lombardi's name will be able to be mentioned in the same sentence.

I'd have to argue that Bill Walsh would be espoused in that same vein as well.

Archived