Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs: Chance to be the best NFL coach of all time?

ceviker

belicheck, dungy, fisher, shottenheimer (ok not current, but he would be if the chargers hadn't fired him so late), shanahan, reid, lovie smith, payton, fox, and holmgren.

OK, thats only 10 so I was exaggerating a little bit, but you get my point. I would take 8 of those guys over gibbs 2.0 in a heartbeat without thinking. the other 2 (sean payton and john fox) would make me think a little bit. In the end, I would chose them over gibbs 2.0.

Mike Holmgren? You threw that one in as a joke, right? John Fox will be fired at the end of the year. Lovie Smith? Why? Because he had a couple of sucessful years in the weakest division in football? Neutral on Marty, Jeff Fisher, and Tony Dungy; not an upgrade. Bill Belichick, Sean Peyton, Mike Shanahan, and Andy Reid are all quality coaches.

Al Saunders runs the offense, Gregg Williams runs the Defense. Joe Gibbs gave up draft picks to bring in Brunell. No, I don't think so. Even if we do win a superbowl with him on the coaching staff. He was a great coach... 20 years ago. He will always be remembered as a great coach. But right now he's not much more than a figurehead. He brings a modicum of respectability and class to a franchise that had otherwise lost its direction entirely, but as far as his football mind is concerned it's not doing us much good.

Now this is a man that understands how the organization functions! :applause: :applause:

then you are just as foolish as him. Bill Belicheck MADE tom brady - not the other way around. There is no doubt that he is the best coach of the past decade, if nothing else.

Gibbs is in the bottom half when it comes to current coaches in the NFL.... there are about 15-20 current coaches (and some assistant coaches) i would rather have as our HC instead of Gibbs.

Gibbs second term is diminishing his legacy as being an "all-time great" with each passing year. It could easily be argued that Gibbs success in his first term had more to do with a lack of a salary cap and his now-illegal manipulation of the IR list than his coaching genius...

I'm not saying Gibbs was not a great coach - he deserves to be in the HOF - but he - like lombardi or any other great coach of "the old days"- becomes "Better and better" over time because we idealize them in our memory. 30 years from now, patriots fans will be reminiscing about how bellicheck was the greatest coach of all time.

Its just the nature of being a fan.

Gibbs wasn't the only coach putting players on IR ... it wasn't some big secret that no one else knew about.

I think we should all give the man his due, the only thing that counts in this game are W's and L's and he has 3 of the type of W's every team, coach and fan dreams of having.

It seems we all have differing opinions of just how great Gibb's was and where he ranks, that can always be debated. But having 3 SB trophies and a bronze cast in the HOF cannot, that does equal greatness. Bill Walsh was the only other coach in 80's and early 90's that was a constant winner at elite status, as was Gibbs.

If we're going to elevate Bill Cowher for his 12 years of making the playoffs and his 4 losses in AFC championship games and only 1 SB to count for, or Mike Holmgreen's 1 SB victory and 1 SB loss, or Marv Levy's 4 SB Losses, etc. ... then there really is no debating Gibbs is easily one of the greates coaches to coach this game.

I guess my point is that it is all relative, we all have our views, but comparing/contrasting different contexts, different eras, etc. should not diminish what any of the coaches mentioned throughout this thread accomplished.

Good post, good responses. Nice to see how different we all view things.

If greatness = consistency, than Gibbs fits that mold

Hey guys,

Sitting here wondering about something. If Joe Gibbs wins another Super Bowl, will he go down in history as the best coach ever?

I know that is a very bold statement, but think about it. He's already a HOF coach. What he did in the 80s/early 90s was unbelievable. 3 super bowls, 3 different quaterbacks. If he wins one more, he will have won 4 Super Bowls, with 4 different QBs, in 2 COMPLETLY different eras. IMO, that would make him the greatest coach ever in the NFL.

Thoughts?

No.

I've found out recently that those in the know, writers and other media types, really do put asteriks on the first two Redskin Super Bowl victories because of the strikes. Winning another one would at least put Gibbs in the conversation though.

Why the hell are we having this conversation anyway? The Redskins are closer to 8-8 then they are to any Super Bowl.

No.

I've found out recently that those in the know, writers and other media types, really do put asteriks on the first two Redskin Super Bowl victories because of the strikes. Winning another one would at least put Gibbs in the conversation though.

Why the hell are we having this conversation anyway? The Redskins are closer to 8-8 then they are to any Super Bowl.

To me, the "strike" Super Bowls showcase Gibbs' coaching greatness, especially the year he took the replacement players and quickly molded them into a winning squad, a team that beat a Cowboys team playing with many (most? all?) of its regular players. That was a tremendous feat of pure coaching. . .

Archived