Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs: Chance to be the best NFL coach of all time?

ceviker

Somehow, he'd still be considered Great, not the Greatest. IMO, he would be. But even if he did, the surrounding cast would get the nod. Not to mention, the headlines would be more about the Skins finally buying a Superbowl, than Gibbs winning with yet another QB.

Are you guys crazy? Gibbs already top-five hands down. People keep saying "Top Ten" or "Up there", but who the hell is above him? That guy from New England? I want to see his record WITHOUT Brady and see what he did. Oh, that's right, nothing. It's pretty easy to have the second coming of Montana on your team and win. In fact, it's pretty HARD not to. Parcells? Yeah, right. Walsh? You've got an argument. Lombardi? The trophy's named after him for a reason.

But THREE Super Bowls with THREE different quarterbacks and THREE different running backs, and if he wins again, FOUR of each? He took castoffs and no-namers and won those games, not Tom effing Brady or Terry Bradshaw. THAT is coaching. He got his guys for his system, not just the All-Madden team.

You guys need to think before you type.

I agree 110% bud.

Are you guys crazy? Gibbs already top-five hands down. People keep saying "Top Ten" or "Up there", but who the hell is above him? That guy from New England? I want to see his record WITHOUT Brady and see what he did. Oh, that's right, nothing. It's pretty easy to have the second coming of Montana on your team and win. In fact, it's pretty HARD not to. Parcells? Yeah, right. Walsh? You've got an argument. Lombardi? The trophy's named after him for a reason.

But THREE Super Bowls with THREE different quarterbacks and THREE different running backs, and if he wins again, FOUR of each? He took castoffs and no-namers and won those games, not Tom effing Brady or Terry Bradshaw. THAT is coaching. He got his guys for his system, not just the All-Madden team.

You guys need to think before you type.

To be fair, Belichick has taken some no names in the secondary and has made it a formidable group in past years. Sure, he's had some stars back there but some guys that really aren't super stars and still get the job done. Plus he's one of the best, if not the best, game planners in the NFL today and he's rarely ever outcoached.

Him and Brady owe a lot of their success to one another but Belichick has done a lot to make that team what it is.

Well if Super Bowls don't make you a great coach, I don't know what does.

I'm surprised you actually think this stuff.

I said he was a great coach. In fact, I said it in the line immediately after the one you bolded. Nothing will change his status in that regard - even the poor job he is currently doing. But, he will never be the best. Reading comprehension goes a long way. I suggest you hit up some kind of institution for a secondary education.

Hey guys,

Sitting here wondering about something. If Joe Gibbs wins another Super Bowl, will he go down in history as the best coach ever?

I know that is a very bold statement, but think about it. He's already a HOF coach. What he did in the 80s/early 90s was unbelievable. 3 super bowls, 3 different quaterbacks. If he wins one more, he will have won 4 Super Bowls, with 4 different QBs, in 2 COMPLETLY different eras. IMO, that would make him the greatest coach ever in the NFL.

Thoughts?

My first gut reaction is... he'll automatically have to go up against Vince Lombardi's legacy when it comes down to "Best Coach Of All Time". I don't think his career can compare to that.

The real only knock on Gibbs super bowl wins is two of them were won on strike shortened seasons. The real shining star is that three were won with three different QBs which I think whipes out the negative because that is more impressive. If he won again it again, I think that win would be looked at differently. Gibbs wouldn't come through as the mega star that he was in his first go around. Williams' defense and Saunders role would be heightened where in the past it is looked as Gibbs being the main hancho. Still four SB ring with four QBs that is a record that I think will last for a century. I don't know if that makes him the best coach ever though, that will always be debateable but as far as my bias is concered Gibbs will always be the number one coach cuz c'mon I'm a die hard Skins homer.

I said he was a great coach. In fact, I said it in the line immediately after the one you bolded. Nothing will change his status in that regard - even the poor job he is currently doing. But, he will never be the best. Reading comprehension goes a long way. I suggest you hit up some kind of institution for a secondary education.

You're saying another Super Bowl won't affect his legacy.

Stop worrying about my reading comprehension. Start worrying about your deductive reasoning. There is no way an educated person concludes that another Super Bowl will NOT vault Joe Gibbs into more elite status than he has now.

How do any of you know that Brady isn't what he is today thanks to Bellichick? If Bellichick can do what he does yearly to his defense, whats to say he didn't do it to his QB? We only give Brady the entire credit because we haven't seen Bellichick make a superstar of out any other QB... yet.

Personally, I think that it would take more than just winning a Super Bowl to put Gibbs at the top of the list....

Since 1994 there has not been a Great coach or Team in the NFL. The new salary cap era has ensured that the idea of Greatness has been surplanted by the concept of success through mediocrity.

Therefore, I would suggest that to surpass the small number of GREAT Coaches of the NFL that are still above him on the list he's either going to have to win TWO more Super Bowls OR to win one more Super Bowl with a team and season along the lines of what we had in 1991-92. I think being able to build a truly dominant and Great team that just decimated the league might allow him to do it in one year. Otherwise it's going to take two Super Bowls because the meaningfullness of a Super Bowl victory is reduced in this era so far as I'm concerned.

As I see it, Vince Lombardi stands firmly at the top. Lets talk about championships, before they were called super bowls.

Vince appeared and lost the 1960 championship (Only year 2 as head coach)

He then beat the New York Giants for the championship in 1961

The following year Lombardi again beat the Giants (1962)

After Appearing in these 3 consecutive championships (winning 2) he finished 4th place in 1964

In 1965 he won the championship again, which became the first of two more to come in 1966 and 1967.

Lombardi appeared in 3 consecutive championships, sipped to 4th place, then appeared AND WON 3 MORE consecutive championships. That makes 5 championships in 6 years (61-67) and 6 appearances in 7 years (60-67).

Personally, I don't care what Gibbs does, Lombardi will always stand on top. As I see it, Chuck Knoll and Bill Walsh currently sit at numbers 2 and 3, at which point it an be debated that Gibbs comes in at 4. If Gibbs won this 4th super bowl, it would be debatable that he could more up to the number 2 slot, but I'm still not sold 100%.

You're saying another Super Bowl won't affect his legacy.

Stop worrying about my reading comprehension. Start worrying about your deductive reasoning. There is no way an educated person concludes that another Super Bowl will NOT vault Joe Gibbs into more elite status than he has now.

He already has 3. I don't think a 4th will make much more of a difference, especially when he is not calling the plays on offense or defense, and he has lost his game management skills. That's the "deductive reasoning" I made in my first post which you seem to have missed. If you disagree with that then it's a difference of opinion, but I think I'm standing on very firm ground here, and you certainly haven't convinced me otherwise with any of your arguments - or lack thereof.

]']How do any of you know that Brady isn't what he is today thanks to Bellichick? If Bellichick can do what he does yearly to his defense' date=' whats to say he didn't do it to his QB? We only give Brady the entire credit because we haven't seen Bellichick make a superstar of out any other QB... yet.[/quote']

I think the reason that a lot of people (myself included) are reluctant to give Bellichick more credit is his lack of success in Cleveland. That combined with the fact that Tom Brady was developed by Charlie Wies, and now Bellichick is reaping the rewards. Bellichick is afterall an ex defensive coordinator.

I agree 110% bud.

then you are just as foolish as him. Bill Belicheck MADE tom brady - not the other way around. There is no doubt that he is the best coach of the past decade, if nothing else.

Gibbs is in the bottom half when it comes to current coaches in the NFL.... there are about 15-20 current coaches (and some assistant coaches) i would rather have as our HC instead of Gibbs.

Gibbs second term is diminishing his legacy as being an "all-time great" with each passing year. It could easily be argued that Gibbs success in his first term had more to do with a lack of a salary cap and his now-illegal manipulation of the IR list than his coaching genius...

I'm not saying Gibbs was not a great coach - he deserves to be in the HOF - but he - like lombardi or any other great coach of "the old days"- becomes "Better and better" over time because we idealize them in our memory. 30 years from now, patriots fans will be reminiscing about how bellicheck was the greatest coach of all time.

Its just the nature of being a fan.

then you are just as foolish as him. Bill Belicheck MADE tom brady - not the other way around. There is no doubt that he is the best coach of the past decade, if nothing else.

Gibbs is in the bottom half when it comes to current coaches in the NFL.... there are about 15-20 current coaches (and some assistant coaches) i would rather have as our HC instead of Gibbs.

Gibbs second term is diminishing his legacy as being an "all-time great" with each passing year. It could easily be argued that Gibbs success in his first term had more to do with a lack of a salary cap and his now-illegal manipulation of the IR list than his coaching genius...

I'm not saying Gibbs was not a great coach - he deserves to be in the HOF - but he - like lombardi or any other great coach of "the old days"- becomes "Better and better" over time because we idealize them in our memory. 30 years from now, patriots fans will be reminiscing about how bellicheck was the greatest coach of all time.

Its just the nature of being a fan.

Please enlighten us as to who these 15-20 current head coaches are that you would rather have coach our football team.

To be fair, Belichick has taken some no names in the secondary and has made it a formidable group in past years. Sure, he's had some stars back there but some guys that really aren't super stars and still get the job done. Plus he's one of the best, if not the best, game planners in the NFL today and he's rarely ever outcoached.

Him and Brady owe a lot of their success to one another but Belichick has done a lot to make that team what it is.

Mike Ditka was quoted saying that it wasn't all Buddy Ryan or Mike Ditka that made the team great, but their combined efforts. Football is a team sport.

yes...And I'll tell you why I think so.

First stint, he won 3 superbowls. That wasn't luck.

Now, if he wins one more, he'd be of legendary status. I'd say he'd deserve to be voted into the hall of fame AGAIN for such an accomplishment.:D

People have said Saunders is running the Offense and Williams the Defense. So? To me, this shows nothing but a good managerial quality to delegate responsibilities to good people. He has an eye for good talent, and that isn't just for finding players, but with the quality of staff he has decided to go after as well. Nothing more respectable to me than managing the team as best as you can, even if that means passing parts of the management to other people. If we get a superbowl, it was his decision to bring those assistant coaches. He played a large role in forming the organization the way as it is, and if it works out, he should definitely receive credit for that. Is that coaching a player? No, but still something to be commended for.

Please enlighten us as to who these 15-20 current head coaches are that you would rather have coach our football team.

belicheck, dungy, fisher, shottenheimer (ok not current, but he would be if the chargers hadn't fired him so late), shanahan, reid, lovie smith, payton, fox, and holmgren.

OK, thats only 10 so I was exaggerating a little bit, but you get my point. I would take 8 of those guys over gibbs 2.0 in a heartbeat without thinking. the other 2 (sean payton and john fox) would make me think a little bit. In the end, I would chose them over gibbs 2.0.

Sadly, he isn't going to win another Super Bowl. And to add to that, him coming back has only hurt his reputation, IMO.

I'll grant you that anything can happen in todays NFL, but I don't see how any objective fan could look at our team and seriously wonder if we will win a Championship - this year or next.

Archived