Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Will Cooley be a Redskin in 2008? Sign in here for your serving of Crow.

Walking Deadman

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't think that we can really guage the answer to this question yet. I believe that a lot of it will have to do with who is the Head Coach next year. If it's Joe Gibbs, I would guess that Cooley will still be here. If it's somebody else, there's really no way to know.

Cooley is a great receiver, but he couldn't block a stiff wind. Unfortunately he plays a position (TE) where most teams expect you to be able to do a little of both. Which means that if a new coaching staff comes in they may be looking for a TE who may not have Cooley's pass catching abilities, but can actually block an OLB or at least chip on a DE; things that Cooley has not proven proficient at.

I voted yes, however I do not agree with the wise up addition I think it is more like IF he performs well and doesnt get a career ending injury, then they will keep him.

While I might like the guy, as soon as he cannot cut it for the team I am ready to move on without him.

Yes, I believe Chris Cooley will be a Redskin in 2008 as he is two valuable to this team and Campbell's development for him not to be on the team.

Hopefully we are able to come to an agreement on a new contract to keep him here for years to come, but if not we will certainly franchise him and work on a deal after the franchise agreement has been signed.

However, I see no way that Cooley isn't on the Skins next season.

I think that he wouldn't want to go anywhere else. As long as we offer him a fair shake, that dude will be here for the haul. He's a different type of cat, thats for sure, and although I know he'll want to be compensated for his play, he's doesn't seem like the type of guy thats motivated by the almighty dollar.

I don't think that we can really guage the answer to this question yet. I believe that a lot of it will have to do with who is the Head Coach next year. If it's Joe Gibbs, I would guess that Cooley will still be here. If it's somebody else, there's really no way to know.

Cooley is a great receiver, but he couldn't block a stiff wind. Unfortunately he plays a position (TE) where most teams expect you to be able to do a little of both. Which means that if a new coaching staff comes in they may be looking for a TE who may not have Cooley's pass catching abilities, but can actually block an OLB or at least chip on a DE; things that Cooley has not proven proficient at.

I must not be watching the same games as you. That guy may not be the the best blocking TE in the league, but he is by no means amongst the lower echelon of blocking TE's in the league. He IS as good as advertised. Plain and simple.

Chris is in his contract year and I believe that he will have a career year and his agent will convince him to move on. I hate to lose Cooley but the longer this goes I expect the greater the chance that we will lose him.

Anyone drinking the Cooley KoolAid and thinks that he doesn't care about the money is living in a dream world. Get serious. To the fan its a game. To the player its his livelyhood and at any moment they could have it stolen away from them forever. He will demand a kings ransom if he has a good year and will deserve it. He is supposed to say that he doesn't care about the money but thats just politics.

We should pay him now, he has earned the payday already. He's not like a Pierce who had one big year and wants to get paid, Chris has done it here since arriving and is just getting better. If we lose him we have screwed up bigtime. He is our best red zone receiving threat and Moss can't lay claim to that.

Also think about this. If we have another bad year and have not wrapped up Chris by the start of the playoffs we will be thinking about other positions to fix up. That means we likely won't be looking to sink a lot of money into one player who we couldn't win with. I think that is the reason the front office is dragging there feet on this. If however we have a good season like in 2005 but don't win it all we will look to get us over that hump, meaning new postion priorities and less likely to sink money into Cooley. All the signs point to losing Chris in my book and no I'm not a pesimist.

I hate what I'm about to say because I love Cooley, but I don't think the FO will be smart enough to re-sign him. His fate was sealed the minute Gibbs called him a "core Redskin". Marshall, Salave'a were once considered "core Redskins". Their are many names to add to this list. I hope I'm wrong and we're able to sign Cooley to a long term contract. :helmet:

I hate what I'm about to say because I love Cooley, but I don't think the FO will be smart enough to re-sign him. His fate was sealed the minute Gibbs called him a "core Redskin". Marshall, Salave'a were once considered "core Redskins". Their are many names to add to this list. I hope I'm wrong and we're able to sign Cooley to a long term contract. :helmet:

you may be right, God forbid. but on the other hand i think that Cooley has "laid" down roots here. understands the the Skins were the team that really blieved in him and the fact that this PARTICULAR issue hasnt been discussed in the media means that the issue is already resolved. at least in theory. Gibbs, Redskins football has always relied on a productive TE. as much as i H A T E to say it (and i am drunk because its my birthday) i think we let ST go before Cooley.

although thats not my wish, want or order of player i would neccessarily keep if it was a choice of one over the other.

i want the team as is. it may sound stupid but my little league team was together ( core, please forgive the term, players) for five years. by the end of our run we were undefeated and only had like 37 points scored on us in a 10 game season. continuity is crucial and thats what we have needed for a very long time

, my gut tells me there's no way Gibbs will let our only legit tight end go.

we've done it with other positions. who knows, if we let cooley walk, we could try and see if todd wade could play te.

i vote no. i'll be very upset to see him go, but i've got to go w/ history on this one.

Probably will happen mid-way through the season, much like the Betts extension. The earliest won't be until after cuts are made and the final salary cap figure is known. It's already been reported that that they are working on it, and with Cooley wanting to stay here, I don't think money will be as much of an issue as it was with Dockery.

I don't know if Gibbs actually ever referred to Salavea and Marshall as part of the "core group", but Cooley hasn't been banged up, nor has he slipped in performance, nor are there viable replacements for him. Salavea and Marshall slipped and had good replacements.

Archived