Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Will Cooley be a Redskin in 2008? Sign in here for your serving of Crow.

Walking Deadman

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

i have no faith in this front office whatsoever when it comes to making sound football decisions. not resigning cooley would be one of the worst moves in the history of snyders tenure, but it wouldnt shock me at all to see him go. i worry taylor is going to leave as well at some point, our team doesnt like paying for its own players, and were all aware of that.
I bet you have a little faith now.
Oh, that's rich. I can't imagine that someone would actually believe that :laugh:

Cooley has been underpaid every season he's been here. And he knows it... trust me. He's going to be looking for a HUGE pay day. And he's going to get it from someone. And there are a lot of teams with plenty of cap space.

Cooley would be stupid not to test the market next offseason.... considering the money that is out there right now.

My guess is Arizona. I think Ken Whisehunt would dig having a TE option :)

He may be stupid, but he is a stupid Redskin. :)
I would say they do it after final cuts too. Cooley will be all over Saunders offense this year and with every catch, the FO will hear the Cha-ching sound (Clarence gets his wings). Cooley wants to stay. His fiancee is a die-hard Skins fan and he bought his mom a house in the area. He expects to stay and the FO knows he is a fan favorite.
Ok, you are just scarey.

They will tag him, TE's are still pretty cheap to tag.

Here is a thought though, being that Cooley is a team player and a great guy. Is it too hard to consider that perhaps the deal is done already. WE have been spending money to try out other players, maybe it is possible the deal is worked out and he will sign after the final cuts are decided. To give the skins the money to bring in these players to try and find good depth and gems.

Just a thought.

Dammit I am Gooooooood.

He may be stupid, but he is a stupid Redskin. :)

Nice try.

#1. I didn't vote in the poll.

#2. I said I *knew* that Cooley was underpaid since Day 1. And if you read some of his recent quotes.... that's exactly what he said "I outplayed my rookie contract".

#3. I told you that Cooley was going to get paid.... well he's the 2nd highest paid TE in the game. I was right.

We didn't get any home-town discount for him to stay.

His recent quotes suggested his contact was *on his mind* even last season.... and it wasn't until he started bugging his coaches in recent weeks that this finally got pushed through.

By the sounds of it.... if Cooley didn't put a bug in the coaches ear.... this might not have gotten done.

And is there really any doubt that Cooley could've gotten a better contract from another NFL?

I wanted Cooley to stay... I don't know anybody that wanted him to leave. So I'm glad the FO wrapped it up. At the same time, that's a lot more coin than I'd like to have paid. But I can live with it.

I, sadly, said no as well.

Prove me wrong FO!!!!!!

That's right Vinny-- prove to me you can do your job b/c I'm not convinced you're very good at it.

That's right Mr. Snyder-- we know you got the $$$$ prove to me you can actually pay for a current Redskin.

That's right Coach-- we value "core" Redskins, we value character players and hard workers. Get this man re-signed.

Looks like the FO proved you wrong.... does this change your stance on the FO any????

Nice try.

#1. I didn't vote in the poll.

#2. I said I *knew* that Cooley was underpaid since Day 1. And if you read some of his recent quotes.... that's exactly what he said "I outplayed my rookie contract".

#3. I told you that Cooley was going to get paid.... well he's the 2nd highest paid TE in the game. I was right.

We didn't get any home-town discount for him to stay.

His recent quotes suggested his contact was *on his mind* even last season.... and it wasn't until he started bugging his coaches in recent weeks that this finally got pushed through.

By the sounds of it.... if Cooley didn't put a bug in the coaches ear.... this might not have gotten done.

And is there really any doubt that Cooley could've gotten a better contract from another NFL?

I wanted Cooley to stay... I don't know anybody that wanted him to leave. So I'm glad the FO wrapped it up. At the same time, that's a lot more coin than I'd like to have paid. But I can live with it.

How would Cooley know from day 1 he was underpaid if he hadn't played a game yet? You stated that though as if it was fact, you didn't say "knew".

And how can you say we didn't get a home-town discount, and then say he could have gotten a better contract from another NFL team?

You were wrong, just admit it. You said Cooley was looking for a HUGE payday, and by saying that he would go to Arizona, you were saying you didn't think we'd re-sign him. You also said he would be stupid not to test free agency. You don't have to vote on the poll, because your post spelled out your belief the FO wouldn't get it done.

Look at the bright side, you're not the only one eating crow today.

So did signing Cooley take money out of your pocket?

Seriously? That's your retort?

Things like salary cap, cap hit and pay scale aren't included in your reserve of football knowledge?

I suppose you'd be slapping your knees in excited if the Skins gave Suisham a $42M signing bonus... well because, it doesn't take money out of your pocket right?

Don't be dumb.

Seriously? That's your retort?

Things like salary cap, cap hit and pay scale aren't included in your reserve of football knowledge?

I suppose you'd be slapping your knees in excited if the Skins gave Suisham a $42M signing bonus... well because, it doesn't take money out of your pocket right?

Don't be dumb.

How bout you not being so over dramatic...just once please?

EDIT:

BTW, in your opinion, is Cooley in the top ten as far as TE position goes?

If so, is he not deserving of top ten money?

You were wrong, just admit it. You said Cooley was looking for a HUGE payday, and by saying that he would go to Arizona, you were saying you didn't think we'd re-sign him. You also said he would be stupid not to test free agency. You don't have to vote on the poll, because your post spelled out your belief the FO wouldn't get it done.

It's actually your comprehension of what I said that is inaccurate.

I said Cooley was looking for a huge payday..... and I was right. He got one. He's the 2nd highest paid TE in the NFL. I said "someone" is going to pony up the cash..... I'm not sure why you would interpret that to exclude the Redskins?!

You see, you aren't very familiar with my MO. I don't criticize the FO for things they haven't done yet.... I don't continually criticizing the FO. That's why I wouldn't vote in this thread. I left open the possibility the Skins could sign Cooley.... and I didn't have an inkling of whether the Skins would sign him or not. Again, that's why I didn't vote.

However, I stand by what I said.... given where he was in his contract and where we are in the season.... Cooley would be stupid not to test FA. Again, you honestly don't think other teams would have paid Cooley a lot more dough? Sure they would have.

Does that mean Cooley gave the Redskins a home-town discount? Uh, no.

Obviously, COMPLETELY CONTRARY TO WHAT A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE SAID IN THIS THREAD, his contract status was weighing on his mind and he just wanted to get it done.... foregoing a possible even larger payday (a few extra million). But I'm not going to pat Cooley on the back for being a "team player" for accepting a contract that makes him the 2nd highest paid TE in the league.

How bout you not being so over dramatic...just once please?

EDIT:

BTW, in your opinion, is Cooley in the top ten as far as TE position goes?

If so, is he not deserving of top ten money?

How about your actually posting as my equal and not the equivalent of a 15-year old?

Is Cooley top 10 at his position? Yes.

But he's getting paid as the #2 overall TE in the league.

Of course, you knew that right when you brought up 2 conflicting points?!

He's getting the minimum salary through 2008. So it won't be until he has two thousand yard seasons that we start really paying him.

He's already got $14M in his pocket for the first 3 years of his contract plus another $2-3M in salary for those 3 seasons. That's the way it works. Signing bonus account for the first 3 years of cash-in-pocket..... and that's why salaries escalate in the later years of the contract and why players either get cut or contracts renegotiated.

As far as salary cap numbers and the books go.... it's one thing. But for the first 3 years of the contract... he'll take home about $18M which averages out to $6M per year. Then you'll see the year 4 and beyond salaries around the $4-5 million per season (if not more).

Oh, that's rich. I can't imagine that someone would actually believe that :laugh:

Cooley has been underpaid every season he's been here. And he knows it... trust me. He's going to be looking for a HUGE pay day. And he's going to get it from someone. And there are a lot of teams with plenty of cap space.

Cooley would be stupid not to test the market next offseason.... considering the money that is out there right now.

My guess is Arizona. I think Ken Whisehunt would dig having a TE option :)

First off, you started with yet another insult. Nice.

Secondly, your response was to someone who said they didn't believe Cooley would test the free agent market for whatever reason. You were wrong, and all the guessing and assumptions in the world don't mean you know what was going on inside Cooley's head.

Then, you said Cooley would be stupid not to test the free agent market. You were called out on that as well.

Then, you said "My guess is Arizona. I think Ken Whisenhunt would dig having a TE option." Looks to me, again, like you were assuming Cooley wasn't going to get his pay day here, and that Arizona would be the one to do so. Later in the thread you also said Houston could grab him up as well.

You were wrong because Cooley never tested the market. You made fun of someone who believed Cooley would NOT test the market. You were wrong, and actually you owe that person an apology.

On to the rest:

Again, you can't read. That's your problem.... not mine.

So now that you've been proven wrong, and won't admit it, you are resorting to personal attacks? (Including what you said to Diesel above).

Again, you don't realize we can look at what you said before and tell that you were criticing the FO and making guesses about Cooley, eventhough you don't know him.

I explained why your post gave away your belief the FO wouldn't get it done with Cooley, and you either ignored that or you are the one who can't read.

How about your actually posting as my equal and not the equivalent of a 15-year old?

Is Cooley top 10 at his position? Yes.

But he's getting paid as the #2 overall TE in the league.

Of course, you knew that right when you brought up 2 conflicting points?!

So you're saying Cooley was paid to much in your opinion (earlier post you said it was "a little more coin than I would have liked". But in the Cooley thread at the top of the stadium you said you think he can equal Tony Gonzalez. An already top 10 TE with the potential to be the best, or 2nd best, doesn't deserve the money Cooley got?

And good job with yet another insult. For all your salary cap knowledge, you ever take into consideration that sayings like "he's the 2nd highest paid TE" don't mean what they do because the money escalates every season? You don't think if Gates, Gonzalez, Shockey, Witten, Crumpler, etc., all signed contracts right now that they'd be bigger than Cooley's?

Archived