Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The one player you wished we signed this offseason?

morpheusmeyers

Gosh there were so many I'd hoped we'd try for -- here's the list of free agents alone. Then you toss in all the tradeable players...

At OG: either Cooper Carlisle (Broncos), Kris Dielman (Chargers), or Ruben Brown (Bears)

At DE: either Bobby McCray (Jaguars), DeWayne White (Bucs), Robert Geathers (Bengals), or maybe Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (Packers)

At DT: Ian Scott (Bears)

At WR: Kevin Curtis (Rams), Eric Moulds (Texans)

At CB: Nate Clements (Bills)

At QB: Matt Schaub (Falcons)

I would like liked to find a decent OG, a DE, and a younger QB. If I can only select one -- it would be Kris Dielman who evntually re-signed with San Diego.

What "Salary-Cap Heaven" do you come from?

Definitely any guard on the market would have been nice. I'm worried about our O-line depth. I think we have about 2 more years with the current line before we have to overhaul, and I think we should use a bunch of draft picks on it in the coming draft. Dielman would have been spectacular, but I doubt he'd come to play for the Skins since he had the chance to play for the Chargers.

Wasn't Jeff George available? :laugh:

I'm pretty much satisfied with what we did this offseason. Having Dock back would have been nice but both he and Leonard Davis got paid wayyy above their talent levels. Dock was a decent guard, but he isn't a 3 time All Pro or anything. Davis is basically an underachieving fatty. He never even got close to living up to his draft position (#2 overall pick in 2001); I'd actually call that a bust...and the Girls gave him a huge contract. I would have loved to have Nate Clements, but I'm glad we didn't spend the money on him that he got in his contract with the Niners. Lots of people wanted Adalius Thomas, but honestly I think Fletcher was a better fit for our D and he cost quite a bit less too. Don't get me wrong, Thomas is a great player. However, what we needed was a true MLB with experience and smarts and that is exactly what we got. Sure he is on the older side, but after watching him play the last couple of weeks I'd be surprised if he didn't have at least a couple more years of high level football left in him.

I'm glad we didn't spend a ridiculous amount on FAs this offseason. Save that money to lock Cooley and eventually Taylor in for many years to come. Hopefully the Skins FO is finally learning it's lesson and will do just that.

It's a close call for me between David Carr and Leonard Davis.

Davis would have really filled a void for us at LG. But he was awfully expensive so I'm not too torn up over not getting him...though I wish he hadn't signed with Big D.

I'm surprised that we didn't make a play on the Carr, since we have a bad case of geezer-itis at the 2 and 3 QB positions. He would have given us a good, reliable backup and spot starter for years to come.

Thoughts?

I'm with you on Davis. He's is a monster at Guard. Him next to Samuels would have been sweet. He's opening holes as big as a car for Dallas, and I'm as upset that they have him as I am that we didn't get him.

Reality is though, we just couldn't afford him. That's why I get so pissed thinking about the Arch, Lloyd, etc. moves that put us in a salary cap hole to begin with.

You said wish though so I wish Davis.

Two close other's would be Adalius Thomas... I think Gregg Williams could do great things with him, and Randy Moss. He's a long way from being done in this league and for what they paid for him, I would have jumped at a WR talent like him. You want a red zone threat? Moss woulda done it. Plus, I like the sound of having Moss and Moss at WR.

I do like Fletcher, Smoot, Stoutmire, etc. though and think they'll help us this year. I just think those other 3 guys are in a different stratosphere though.

Edit: I forgot about Clements at CB. He would've been real nice to have as well. He'd be fourth though behind Davis, Thomas and Moss.

whats sweet is, most of our guys are locked up for at least the next few years.

Get Cooley and St taken care of and we are really straight.

the "locked up" part is largely illusory because of the contract escalations in the contracts that make it doubtful that they will be (or can be) continued for the next season. Samuels gets a $2M raise next year - likely that will be honored. Portis gets a $4.9 raise to 8.8M in 2008 and another $1M in 2009. Probably not. Jansen gets $8.8M next year -goodbye. Randy Thomas gets $8.7M - ouch. $2.5M raise for Moss - more pain. Here's two that should make everyone happy - Lloyd and ARE each get about $2M more for their record breaking work. Pony up another $2.5M for Carter and another $1M for Wade. $2M for Betts.

You can see where this is going - a lot of starters who are "locked up" will need to be cut or have their contracts renegotiated.

Ironically, Sean Taylor takes a pay cut next year. That should make him happy while Shawn Springs is cashing his $7M check.

And they need to re-sign Cooley or get rid of their go-to guy.

the "locked up" part is largely illusory because of the contract escalations in the contracts that make it doubtful that they will be (or can be) continued for the next season. Samuels gets a $2M raise next year - likely that will be honored. Portis gets a $4.9 raise to 8.8M in 2008 and another $1M in 2009. Probably not. Jansen gets $8.8M next year -goodbye. Randy Thomas gets $8.7M - ouch. $2.5M raise for Moss - more pain. Here's two that should make everyone happy - Lloyd and ARE each get about $2M more for their record breaking work. Pony up another $2.5M for Carter and another $1M for Wade. $2M for Betts.

You can see where this is going - a lot of starters who are "locked up" will need to be cut or have their contracts renegotiated.

Ironically, Sean Taylor takes a pay cut next year. That should make him happy while Shawn Springs is cashing his $7M check.

And they need to re-sign Cooley or get rid of their go-to guy.

Wow. You really live up to your name.

We are definately NOT in good shape with the cap. We have to hit on some cheap later round types or we're going to be in a world of hurt.

We had better had knocked one out of the park on Campbell too, or we will be screwed.

It's a close call for me between David Carr and Leonard Davis.

Davis would have really filled a void for us at LG. But he was awfully expensive so I'm not too torn up over not getting him...though I wish he hadn't signed with Big D.

I'm surprised that we didn't make a play on the Carr, since we have a bad case of geezer-itis at the 2 and 3 QB positions. He would have given us a good, reliable backup and spot starter for years to come.

Thoughts?

http://shsdemo.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=5449&team=22

I'm gonna pass on a guy who gave up 8 sacks and had 9 false starts. As far as Carr is concerned, we didn't need him and he has more INT's than career TD's. That ain't too good IMO. I would've liked to have signed Dock back and maybe got Clements. I'm actually pretty excited about who we have now, so I guess really nobody but Dock. I agree with you that a younger qb would've been nice but not necessary right now.

HTTR

Fred Smoot... oh wait, we signed him! :point2sky

He was pretty much the only free agent that kept me lurking around here every hour of every day from the first rumors until we locked him up.

I could care less about bumb QBs and overpriced replacements for positions we already have filled.

Wow. You really live up to your name.

We are definately NOT in good shape with the cap. We have to hit on some cheap later round types or we're going to be in a world of hurt.

We had better had knocked one out of the park on Campbell too, or we will be screwed.

Most teams have escalating contracts with stars - it gives them a big sounding contract, the team gets to spread out the bonus over a long term, and the big salaries at the end of the contract will never be paid. The problem here is that (1) so many seem to be escalating at the same time and (2) they are at positions where there no one is waiting in the wings. Unless they put up extraordinary numbers, I can't see keeping either ARE or Lloyd for $4M; and I don't think the offense is designed to get big numbers for either position. Jansen looks to be a $5M roster bonus in 2008, and I don't see how that gets paid, but they don't have any depth at that position if Wade is the LG.

People talk about how Dockery wasn't worth the $49M/7yr contract - but I assume a lot of that is salary at the end of the contract. The only information I could find was 18M bonus, $23M payments in first three years - which I assume includes the signing bonus. Thus, spreading the bonus over 7 years, Dockery is making about $4.5M/year (I did this in my head) for the first three years. I don't think this is outrageous. If the Skins had moved for a new contract last year, they could have gotten him for less.

I'm pretty damn happy with the team we have NOW.Of course having Dock re-sign would have been excellent but I'm VERY glad we didn't pony up the money Buffalo did.

I'm glad we signed London Fletcher,LaRon"Mama Said Knock You Out" Landry,HB Blades,Fred Smoot,Omar Stoutmire.I'm happy we didn't trade Shawn Springs.I'm just excited about what I've seen so far defensively.Hopefully the offense will pick up the pace in the coming weeks before the season starts.

If we can continue to avoid serious injury,and extend Taylor and Cooley asap then al will be well in D.C at least with me.

Archived