Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The one player you wished we signed this offseason?

morpheusmeyers

the original poster said he would have liked to see us sign david carr...though i agree we need youth at qb, carr is a former number 1 overall pick and that would have caused controversy and there would have been a qb controversy story storming every day at camp, even if JC would have been the unquestioned starter by the coaches which would have messed with JC's psyche

Wow. You really live up to your name.

We are definately NOT in good shape with the cap. We have to hit on some cheap later round types or we're going to be in a world of hurt.

We had better had knocked one out of the park on Campbell too, or we will be screwed.

I can't believe that Skins fans still doubt the power of the Snyder and his cap gurus.

As for the topic, on offense I would say Randy Moss and on D it would be Nate Clements. Moss brothers on O would be ridiculous.

What I really keep thinking about is the '06 offseason though. I would have definitely done it entirely differently(and not looking back with hindsight). First, I would've traded our 2nd and 4th for Javon Walker. Kept LaVar or signed Julian Peterson. Re-sign Derrick Dockery and NOT let him play on the one year RFA tender. I would've still let Clark go(he was NOT a good player people) and picked up Chris Hope. For CB depth I'd sign Andre /Kevin Dyson(the CB not receiver). The only FA I would've signed that we actually did sign is Andre Carter.

This 'fantasy gm' business is fun. Damn I wanna be a gm! :laugh:

This offseason's FA market was a little thin. This is why you saw so many players getting over payed. We actually got a couple of the best players available at their positions without burning a hole in our pockets... not a common occurance in the last decade for a skins off-season.

Gosh there were so many I'd hoped we'd try for -- here's the list of free agents alone. Then you toss in all the tradeable players...

At OG: either Cooper Carlisle (Broncos), Kris Dielman (Chargers), or Ruben Brown (Bears)

At DE: either Bobby McCray (Jaguars), DeWayne White (Bucs), Robert Geathers (Bengals), or maybe Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (Packers)

At DT: Ian Scott (Bears)

At WR: Kevin Curtis (Rams), Eric Moulds (Texans)

At CB: Nate Clements (Bills)

At QB: Matt Schaub (Falcons)

I would like liked to find a decent OG, a DE, and a younger QB. If I can only select one -- it would be Kris Dielman who evntually re-signed with San Diego.

Why are we signing half those players....?

Andre Johnson is a bonafied #1 receiver. I was hoping he would hit the market but he ended up re-signing with the Texans.

I was liking the idea of another player from the U on our roster.

The Washington Hurricanes.

P.S. Is 4 starters from miami the most any NFL team has? I know the Ravens have 3.

It's a close call for me between David Carr and Leonard Davis.

Davis would have really filled a void for us at LG. But he was awfully expensive so I'm not too torn up over not getting him...though I wish he hadn't signed with Big D.

I'm surprised that we didn't make a play on the Carr, since we have a bad case of geezer-itis at the 2 and 3 QB positions. He would have given us a good, reliable backup and spot starter for years to come.

Thoughts?

David Carr? I think the QBs we have in camp are just fine. As much as I want to bash Brunell - he knows how to take care of his body - he's healthy right now, and when he's healthy - he is still one of the most dangerous QBs in the league.... you'd better not sleep on Brunell. Campbell is a weapon... developing slowly.... but he is going to be a beast. Todd Collins is solid.... not spectacular, but solid. I like our stable of QBs. David Carr hasn't proved anything to me - and he doesn't know Saunder's playbook.

The Skins need big, strong, O-Linemen with good footwork, and an attitude. Their defense is going to be OK this year. Mcintosh, Golston, Fletcher, Springs, Rogers, Smoot, Landry, Washington, .... man... the Skins are going to have 3-4 guys in the Pro Bowl this year from the defense.

Since I can't start any new threads, I say we push for signing WR Reggie Williams of the Jaguars. He's not on the best terms with the club right now and he's a pretty good talent.

he did burn us pretty well during that game last year. He has a lot of potential despite his injury. I like that he is 6'4 and runs a solid 4.5 as a possession receiver. If its possible without a trade it be great opportunity.

Ironically, Sean Taylor takes a pay cut next year.

Sean Taylor is going to make a fuss out of his contract after this season. I remember when he signed his rookie deal, it was a horrible deal, and he fired his agent, hired Rosenthal, and talked about he was going to play hard, and hopefully re-do his deal in a few years. I think his whole legal troubles through him off a bit, but I think he'll definately make a fuss next season.

For example Newman signed a 7 year, 20 million dollar deal in 03', Taylor signed a 7 year 18 million dollar deal in 04'. Winslow who was picked after Taylor, signed a 6 year 29 million dollar deal (max of 40 mil, but even the base value was an above market deal). I couldn't find Roy Williams deal, who was picked after Winslow.

But in 05' Cadillac signed a 5 year 31 million dollar deal

solid depth would have been nice through the draft, but the past is the past. All we can do is cheer our brains out for the group we have here and build the foundation for a solid couple of years.

Here's hoping we hold on to our current 08 draft picks and use them to turn a corner with this franchise.

and when he's healthy - he is still one of the most dangerous QBs in the league.... you'd better not sleep on Brunell. QUOTE]

I don't know what you are smokin, but this statement hasn't been true about Brunell in quite some time now.....at lest 4 years, probably more like 5 or 6 years ago this may be correct.

Archived